Your irrational pet peeves

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Your irrational pet peeves

Post by Shyster »

I have another driving situation where I might actually be someone else’s pet peeve. I don't care. Let’s look at the statutory authority for making right turns on red in Pennsylvania:
75 Pa.C.S. § 3112(a)(3)(ii)
(ii) Unless signing is in place prohibiting a turn, vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal may enter the intersection to turn right, or to turn left from a one-way highway onto a one-way highway after stopping as required by subparagraph (i). Such vehicular traffic shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to other traffic lawfully using the intersection.
Note the word “may” in the first sentence. As someone familiar with the canons of statutory construction, I can say that the word may means has discretion to or is permitted to. In other words, you can choose to turn right on red, but you are not required to do so. You may choose to wait until the light turns green.

There are a few intersections where I don’t like to turn right on red. Some of them have poor visibility, and I prefer to wait until green. Yet I often get someone behind me honking their horn and basically demanding that I turn. Well, buddy, screw you; I don’t have to if I don’t want to. And if anyone does honk at me, my policy is always waiting until the light turns green.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

Shyster wrote:Well, buddy, screw you; I don’t have to if I don’t want to. And if anyone does honk at me, my policy is always waiting until the light turns green.
this is tough when there's a red light signal. i was always under the assumption that unless it specifically says 'no turn on red' then you can turn right on red. but some people believe you can't if there's a right turn signal. so if i get behind someone who's not going right on red but has their blinker on, i may beep to encourage them that they're allowed to go right on red
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

People who stop beyond the "stop here on red" line. I always wish for an 18 wheeler to come along to turn- usually the reason the line is there- and hilarity to ensue.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

I drive a full sized F-150, so when I go to busy parking lots / big box stores, I tend to park in the back because I dont want some moron hitting my truck. It drives me nuts when I come out and I have a 1998 chevy cavellier on both sides of me, when there are tons of closer spots. I know you are proud of tinted windows and 15 inch sub-woofers kid, but give it a rest, you aren't driving a Camero.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

canaan wrote:
pittsports87 wrote:I hate when people start a sentence, but don't finish it.
/agree. I friggin hate
This happens all the time when canaan tries to tell a story on Xbox live lol.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Malkamaniac wrote:
canaan wrote:
pittsports87 wrote:I hate when people start a sentence, but don't finish it.
/agree. I friggin hate
This happens all the time when canaan tries to tell a story on Xbox live lol.
#crappyheadsetrelated
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pressure=9Pa »

When two clocks next to each other display different times. Even when they're one minute apart because one flips 5 seconds before the other, it bothers me.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

pressure=9Pa wrote:When two clocks next to each other display different times. Even when they're one minute apart because one flips 5 seconds before the other, it bothers me.
:fist: Agreed
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Handshake deals
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Wrong Numbers.

This happens to me on a regular basis at work and recently on my cell as well.

If it happens once, fine. But it's the same 2 people in both instances and it makes me want to bludgeon them. learn to dial ass clowns.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I drive a full sized F-150, so when I go to busy parking lots / big box stores, I tend to park in the back because I dont want some moron hitting my truck. It drives me nuts when I come out and I have a 1998 chevy cavellier on both sides of me, when there are tons of closer spots. I know you are proud of tinted windows and 15 inch sub-woofers kid, but give it a rest, you aren't driving a Camero.
People who park their vehicles in spots far away from the rest of the hoi polloi. Saw someone had parked some pickup truck way out like it was a Bentley or something the other day. I parked my 1998 Cavalier so close to it that he could not possibly open his drivers side door.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Message board posts that leave it totally vague what the actual topic is. For example: "Anyone know how to install...." "Question!", etc.

A "rational" pet peeve: When you are driving down the road and someone pulls out in front of you despite there being no cars behind you. Then invariably they drive below the speed limit. Makes me apoplectic.
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

PghSkins wrote:A "rational" pet peeve: When you are driving down the road and someone pulls out in front of you despite there being no cars behind you. Then invariably they drive below the speed limit. Makes me apoplectic.
ASLDKFJASLDGH;AKLSJDF;ADSF' MEE TOO
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Toothbrushes that tip over when you put them down on the sink counter, forcing you to apply the toothpaste in mid-air.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

Eismann wrote:Toothbrushes that tip over when you put them down on the sink counter, forcing you to apply the toothpaste in mid-air.
you put down your toothbrush to put toothpaste on it? huh, seems odd. do you use two hands to squeeze out the toothpaste.

toothbrush related, i just snapped mine today. guess i brush too hard. it was one of those Reach ones with a flexible head though. glad i read this post to remind me to get one :thumb:
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

i know people who can't stand when the microwave reads 0:01 or some other countdown time instead of the clock time.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

I can't stand when people chew on their fingers in public. Just makes me irritated.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

LeopardLetang wrote:i know people who can't stand when the microwave reads 0:01 or some other countdown time instead of the clock time.
For me, it's not so much that it reads 0:01 or something else, it's that someone actually felt the need to stop the microwave with a second left on the clock. I realize you can still catch and shoot with 0:01 left, but in microwave time it's insignificant. You couldn't wait one more second? (my wife does this all the time).
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

PghSkins wrote:
LeopardLetang wrote:i know people who can't stand when the microwave reads 0:01 or some other countdown time instead of the clock time.
For me, it's not so much that it reads 0:01 or something else, it's that someone actually felt the need to stop the microwave with a second left on the clock. I realize you can still catch and shoot with 0:01 left, but in microwave time it's insignificant. You couldn't wait one more second? (my wife does this all the time).
i do this to avoid the beep. the beep must die.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

canaan wrote:
PghSkins wrote:
i do this to avoid the beep. the beep must die.
:shock: Same here: Why must you loudly beep three times when you are done cooking Microwave? Why? :evil:

It annoys me when the clock on the microwave: A) Shows countdown time rather than clock time
and B) Is different from the time on the oven, which it is directly above (by no matter how miniscule of a mark)
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

at least stop beeping once i open you! or wait, maybe it does. i forget now, but i don't think so.

i think i sort of like seeing two clocks near each other one minute apart. i feel like it gives me some leeway.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Im not sure if I mentioned this in this thread or not, but it happend again today at work. Someone asked me for "an ink pen" Nope, all I got is a piece of chalk chalk. Maybe you should hop in your driving car and head down to the selling stuff store and pick one up.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

LeopardLetang wrote:at least stop beeping once i open you! or wait, maybe it does. i forget now, but i don't think so.
Mine definitely doesn't
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Im not sure if I mentioned this in this thread or not, but it happend again today at work. Someone asked me for "an ink pen" Nope, all I got is a piece of chalk chalk. Maybe you should hop in your driving car and head down to the selling stuff store and pick one up.
that's the kind of pet peeve that bothers me until i decide i love it and then it's all i say.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Im not sure if I mentioned this in this thread or not, but it happend again today at work. Someone asked me for "an ink pen" Nope, all I got is a piece of chalk chalk. Maybe you should hop in your driving car and head down to the selling stuff store and pick one up.
To be fair, there are many times when there could be confusion about whether the speaker is talking about an ink pen or a pig pen, thus the additional adjective.

Or, it's just annoying.