Lange v. Stags

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Jim Paek's tomatoes

Lange v. Stags

Post by Jim Paek's tomatoes »

There was an article in the PG about Lange, and I was trying to figure out why FSN would drop Lange, who I really thought was great, and I thought most people thought the same too. Were there some politics behind their decision to drop him, or did they just think people weren't responding to Lange. thoughts/preferences between the two?
(I'm sure this has been a topic before, I'm just curious)
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Me too...

If anyone has any "info", please share. I too, apologize, if it has been stated before.
kingpuck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Neither

Post by kingpuck »

Lange needed to go because his game calling was archeic, and he was so annoying with his love for the other teams players. Plus his constant "swammy" calls on how he "just had a feeling" were just downright annoying.

At first Steigy was refreshing, now I think he is a d-bag as well. He HAS to be right all of the time. Even when he blatantly calls something wrong he backtracks and never says whoops "my bad". He wants to argue with Errey all of the time as well, (whom I think does a good job by the way)

New Arena, New Pens, then lets get an new announcer as well!
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Lange v. Stags

Post by joopen »

Jim Paek's tomatoes wrote:There was an article in the PG about Lange, and I was trying to figure out why FSN would drop Lange, who I really thought was great, and I thought most people thought the same too. Were there some politics behind their decision to drop him, or did they just think people weren't responding to Lange. thoughts/preferences between the two?
Lange would have cost FSN a considerable more amount of money than Steigy that is basically all it boils down to.
Jim Paek's tomatoes

Post by Jim Paek's tomatoes »

I'm pretty sure I've been picking up on Lange getting pissed or annoyed with whoever he is calling the game with, I forget his name. It's always a little bit awkward.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by demondg1 »

Stags would whoop his ass in a fight.
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by roland »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06181/702334-61.stm
The last contract negotiations were contentious with Lange taking a pay cut he didn't particularly like. At the time, he said: "It was rocky. It's negotiations. It's business. The scene has changed, no question about it. You have to accept it or move on. That's the way it is."
Said Steve Tello, the vice president and general manager of FSN Pittsburgh: "Mike has done a tremendous job over the years. We had a contractual option. We have looked at Steigerwald for some time and believe he brings a different and fresh set of eyes to a new team."
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
Location: Pittsburgh, pa (via Buffalo in a little town known as Pominville)

Post by Sabres_Fan »

Well Im a neutral observer, and Lange calls a much better game than Stiegy. I have been fortunate to have Rick Jeannerette in Buffalo for many many years (since 1970 ish). IMO no one can call a game like RJ. He simulcasts games too. Believe me that is very hard to do. You need to describe the game enough so your radio fans arent lost but not overdo it so you TV fans are satisfied. Lange also has the talent to do that (and did it). Aside from The Langisms (Slap me silly Sydney) and RJ's goofy sayings (Top shelf where Momma hides the cookies) they call a very good play by play and control their breathing very well. Steigy (he is new) pauses alot sometimes. I have no clue why they let a legend go like Lange. You guys are lucky he didnt decide to go to Versus to do national.
shawnlesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Lange v. Stags

Post by shawnlesky »

joopen wrote:
Jim Paek's tomatoes wrote:There was an article in the PG about Lange, and I was trying to figure out why FSN would drop Lange, who I really thought was great, and I thought most people thought the same too. Were there some politics behind their decision to drop him, or did they just think people weren't responding to Lange. thoughts/preferences between the two?
Lange would have cost FSN a considerable more amount of money than Steigy that is basically all it boils down to.
Penguins Fans First. Did I get that right? You don't fire the voice of the team, established for decades, if you really believe your own garbage slogan. Whether money or a personal difference like with Guy Junker, it's horseschit.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Neither

Post by Pops16 »

kingpuck wrote:Lange needed to go because his game calling was archeic, and he was so annoying with his love for the other teams players. Plus his constant "swammy" calls on how he "just had a feeling" were just downright annoying.

At first Steigy was refreshing, now I think he is a d-bag as well. He HAS to be right all of the time. Even when he blatantly calls something wrong he backtracks and never says whoops "my bad". He wants to argue with Errey all of the time as well, (whom I think does a good job by the way)

I don't think his goal calling was archaic. I also know that the one thing Lange did better than ANYONE was to know when a team was going to score. He did have a feel for the game unequaled by anyone.

I also like the fact that he had a great relationship with other teams. That was a quality, not a problem. I like hearing about NHL life outside our little Penguin bubble.

You cannot deny he had enthusiasm for the GAME as a whole. THAT, I think was his best trait.

Give me Lange any day.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Neither

Post by stopper40 »

Pops16 wrote:
kingpuck wrote:Lange needed to go because his game calling was archeic, and he was so annoying with his love for the other teams players. Plus his constant "swammy" calls on how he "just had a feeling" were just downright annoying.

I don't think his goal calling was archaic. I also know that the one thing Lange did better than ANYONE was to know when a team was going to score. He did have a feel for the game unequaled by anyone.

I also like the fact that he had a great relationship with other teams. That was a quality, not a problem. I like hearing about NHL life outside our little Penguin bubble.

You cannot deny he had enthusiasm for the GAME as a whole. THAT, I think was his best trait.

Give me Lange any day.
Lange needed to go. He's just not good on television, now on the radio there are none better. Steigerwald is awful. I'd rather have Doug Mcloud back doing games than Steigerwald. The only way Lange as good at TV was when he did simulcasts.

If youhaven't listened to him on the radio this year, you're missing a great treat, he's back.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I really liked Mike Lange, and I'm glad that living in California I can hear his Pens game calls on Sirius. But by the same token I think Steigy has been doing a pretty good job. I mean, he is the guy who got say "Holy ****!!" in that movie...... :D
Sabres_Fan wrote:I have been fortunate to have Rick Jeannerette in Buffalo for many many years (since 1970 ish).
Then you and I clearly have very different definitions of the meaning of 'fortunate'. ;)
Sabres_Fan wrote:IMO no one can call a game like RJ. He simulcasts games too.
Agree.... but not for good reasons. The guy sounds like he's about to have an aneurysm every time the puck gets within 10 feet of the goal.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pops16 »

tifosi77 wrote:I really liked Mike Lange, and I'm glad that living in California I can hear his Pens game calls on Sirius. But by the same token I think Steigy has been doing a pretty good job. I mean, he is the guy who got say "Holy ****!!" in that movie...... :D
Sabres_Fan wrote:I have been fortunate to have Rick Jeannerette in Buffalo for many many years (since 1970 ish).
Then you and I clearly have very different definitions of the meaning of 'fortunate'. ;)
Sabres_Fan wrote:IMO no one can call a game like RJ. He simulcasts games too.
Agree.... but not for good reasons. The guy sounds like he's about to have an aneurysm every time the puck gets within 10 feet of the goal.
I thought I was the only one who felt that way, and I felt bad about it. I hate cutting on another teams announcer, but he is a little too much, and sounds like a big homer.
arizonahotrock

Post by arizonahotrock »

I really was hesitant to jump on the Steigy-Errey boat...but, I've really grown to like them. They make me laugh at least a few times per game (i.e. Errey's "That's it...I'm taking the headphones off and going to call the war room" that's HILARIOUS). Errey has very good hockey knowledge and usually calls plays right the first time, without replays. Plus, he seems very passionate about the Pens...and that's refreshing to hear someone get genuinely upset over a horrible call.

Steigy does his own thing...and I think he works because of this obvious tension with Errey...makes for great television.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Noise »

Lange lost his edge. He's not as good as he once was. I like Steigy/Errey.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Scott »

They made a huge mistake choosing Steigy over Lange.

I wonder why it bothered people so bad when he praised a player from another team? Lets look at some facts first. The NHL in the USA is marketed about as much as a Hustler magazine. Having said that, if the average casual fan watches a Pens game, they have know clue as to how good John Madden is. Not a clue how much of an ass and tough Gary Roberts is. Some probably even think Mats Sundin is an oriental restaurant.
He helped the average fan understand how significant it was if a player out muscled a guy like Gary Roberts. How big a save was on a breakaway against Joe Sakic. How many casual fans knew Vladimir Malakov could slap the puck 800 miles per hour? He didn't come out and say these things. He layed the foreground. The fan then understands the significance of what just happened. Lange did an excellent job of working both angles. He is a homer by nature, but mixed in a balance of telling the story of all players.

Lange also has one of the best voices in all the sports world. Like the guy or not, his broadcast always comes in loud, crisp and clear.

Steigerwald, on the other hand, is not good play by play in hockey. Let me change that. He is not a good play by play guy on TV. He gets so excited with the call from a Pens shot on goal. Easy glove save sounds like the Pens are going to win game seven of the Cup finals in triple overtime. I am waiting for him to have an orgasm on a routine dump in.

I will say the excitement Steigy displays is great for radio. Can't see the game so you really have no idea how close the Pens were to actually scoring. You can't see it was a clear 50 foot shot that had zero chance of scoring. He speaks very little about the opposing players(which BTW is a bad thing).
jay_caufield

Post by jay_caufield »

Lange wouldnt just talk about the other teams players, he would worship them. A guy on the third line with 10 goals was an all-star by the end of the game and it was quite annoying.

I still think he gets excited when the opposing team scores. Benig that I hate seeing the pens scored on, his enthusiasm doesnt go well when it happens which is why I'm glad he is off TV.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ivand87 »

Mike is doing a great job on the radio with Phil Bourque this year.

He should be on TV as he always was.

I really don't understand the people who don't like Lange, I wanna punch them all in the face. Saying that Lange was in love with the other team's players is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a long time. Same thing with how "he had a feeling" something was about to happen. Some of you need to listen to some other announcers.

Mike Lange is in the Hockey Hall of Fame for a reason - he is a sports broadcasting legend.
Chris wrote:Lange was a fan of the sport, not a homer. He called the game the way it should be called without over doing the praise he threw upon Penguins players. Paul Steigerwald sounds like hes popping a boner everytime he so much as mentions Crosby's name and I cant stand it. Lange would be my choice any day of the week of the 2.
Completely and wholeheartedly agree.
Last edited by ivand87 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arizonahotrock

Post by arizonahotrock »

jay_caufield wrote:Lange wouldnt just talk about the other teams players, he would worship them. A guy on the third line with 10 goals was an all-star by the end of the game and it was quite annoying.

I still think he gets excited when the opposing team scores. Benig that I hate seeing the pens scored on, his enthusiasm doesnt go well when it happens which is why I'm glad he is off TV.
I agree...on the few times I've listened to the radio for games this year...I get confused sometimes because he calls goals for other teams the same way he does for the Pens...so I get all excited because I think the Pens score and then...BOOM...it's the other team. I f'n hate that.
Scorin_Warren

Post by Scorin_Warren »

As someone who started following the Penguins in the pre-Lemieux dark ages, Mike Lange had as much to do with my general interest in hockey and allegiance to the team as anyone. I can still vividly remember his radio call in 1982 of a Mike Bullard goal vs. the Islanders that helped end NY's record winning streak.

It's a shame how FSN treated this Hall of Famer, and I don't think anyone could blame the guy for moving on at this point.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ivand87 »

That is so ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

I've been listening to a lot of radio broadcasts this year, and Mike is A PROFESSIONAL. Have you guys heard the Columbus Blue Jackets' TV announcer this season? He's absolutely terrible.

The fact of the matter is that Mike Lange sounds very excited when the Penguins score and he still uses all his catch phrases which WILL NEVER GET OLD.

And he DOES NOT get excited AT ALL when the other team scores - he simply raises his voice unlike many announcers in the game, because something big happened. And there's nothing wrong about being excited a little bit if the other team scores a nice goal.

I hate all these homer announcers like the Columbus guy and the guy who usually calls goals on NESN and Sam Rosen or whatever his name is (the MSG guy for the Rangers).

You guys don't seem to understand Mike's enthusiasm for the great game of hockey and think he's supposed to start crying when the other team scores. The fact that he raises his voice when the other team scores doesn't mean that he's excited about it - your level of perception is way off. Clean your ears and start watching more hockey games and watching the highlights of other games on NHL.com and you might just see the difference.

Mike Lange is one of the greatest play-by-play men in the history of the game. Some of you are either too young or too stupid to appreciate it. To most Penguins fans, Mike Lange is a hero and will forever be the voice of the Penguins.
peterleefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by peterleefan »

In prior years, I would turn down the sound on tv games and listen to Steigy.......I never liked his goal calls, the majority of them were forced, and I felt the tv braodcasts needed a fresh voice. I like Steigerwald and he has much more knowledge than Lange. To be fair, I like Lange on radio this year. The article in the PG seems like if Lange gets better money, hes gone..........
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by kovyman1127 »

peterleefan wrote:In prior years, I would turn down the sound on tv games and listen to Steigy.......I never liked his goal calls, the majority of them were forced, and I felt the tv braodcasts needed a fresh voice. I like Steigerwald and he has much more knowledge than Lange. To be fair, I like Lange on radio this year. The article in the PG seems like if Lange gets better money, hes gone..........
I tend to agree...Steigerwald has more of the hockey stories/knowledge element that Lange didn't.......and I like the fact that Lange wasn't a "homer" that Steigerwald is.

I think Lange got a little wrapped up in his own sayings....and, didn't talk about "hockey" on TV the last few years because the Pens stunk. (too much b.s. about "taking a break"/"sandwwwwwwwich of the game, etc).

My favorite tandum in the league was Bill Clement and Gary Thorne...but Steigy/Lange back during the simulcast was great too....Steigy kept Lange talking about hockey...and Steigy's tidbit hockey stories were still there but you had Lange's voice calling the game.

Lange....did lose his "edge".....whether his fans (including me) want to believe that or not.

FSN fired him because they realized ratings would stay high with another person in the same chair(and didn't cost as much $$$). FSN ratings this year have been as high as 2000-2001....so, FSN didn't take a hit at all.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Matthew Monstar »

You know Steigy reads these boards, We're gonna hurt his feelings!

Lange is king....He actually makes you feel the game with his call of it....His emotion, Conviction on the goal calls is on another level compared to Steigys "Howling,Whiney" HE SCOREEEEEEES goal calls.

Steigy is a big pens fan but he is a nerd that should remain off camera :)
Andrew
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Hmmm

Post by Andrew »

I have actually enjoyed the FSN broadcasts so far this year. They've been quite decent.

I enjoy listening to Lange on the radio.

You guys need to quit whining and watch some hockey.