George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by PensFanInDC »

What an episode.

Next weeks finale will end with a plot twist so awesome you will need to read the books just to see what happens next.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

I finished the first book in record time - about five days. I haven't read anything that quickly since I was a shiftless youth. :lol: I'm a third of the way into the second book, which is excellent so far.

I'm really glad I started reading the series after it has been published. I don't think I would've been able to wait 3 years between books...

I'm going to put this is a spoiler tag, but it's more of a question about the book vs. tv series (about Lord Renly).
Spoiler:
Did I miss Renly's homosexual encounter in the book? Or did Martin save it for a later book? All I remember in the book is that most mention that Renly likes fine clothing and a rainbow banner when he marches.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:I finished the first book in record time - about five days. I haven't read anything that quickly since I was a shiftless youth. :lol: I'm a third of the way into the second book, which is excellent so far.

I'm really glad I started reading the series after it has been published. I don't think I would've been able to wait 3 years between books...

I'm going to put this is a spoiler tag, but it's more of a question about the book vs. tv series (about Lord Renly).
Spoiler:
Did I miss Renly's homosexual encounter in the book? Or did Martin save it for a later book? All I remember in the book is that most mention that Renly likes fine clothing and a rainbow banner when he marches.
No, you didn't miss it. Martin never explicitly says it, however it is something that some fans read between the lines and Martin confirmed in a blog or to a fan or something - I remember reading about it before the series and was like "duh", so it was fairly coming knowledge among the hardcore fans. So they added it to the show to make it far more obvious.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Book spoiler. Can't remember which one but either clash of kings or storm of swords.
Spoiler:
When renly dies the flower knight goes balistic. That confirmed it for me
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

This week’s episode explained my earlier criticism that Maester Aemon [Targaryen] doesn’t look as old as he should be. In the show, he isn’t as old as he should be. In his scene with Jon he explains that the Mad King, Aerys II, was his brother’s son, making deposed King Aerys his nephew. But in the books, Aerys was the grandson of Aegon V. Aegon’s son was Jaehaerys II, who was the father of Aerys II. I suppose they wanted to make the Targaryen family tree simpler for the show’s viewers to understand.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Shyster wrote:This week’s episode explained my earlier criticism that Maester Aemon [Targaryen] doesn’t look as old as he should be. In the show, he isn’t as old as he should be. In his scene with Jon he explains that the Mad King, Aerys II, was his brother’s son, making deposed King Aerys his nephew. But in the books, Aerys was the grandson of Aegon V. Aegon’s son was Jaehaerys II, who was the father of Aerys II. I suppose they wanted to make the Targaryen family tree simpler for the show’s viewers to understand.
Ib4 spoilers bro!

You are correct. Martin even said some characters will be combined for easier following.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Shyster wrote:This week’s episode explained my earlier criticism that Maester Aemon [Targaryen] doesn’t look as old as he should be. In the show, he isn’t as old as he should be. In his scene with Jon he explains that the Mad King, Aerys II, was his brother’s son, making deposed King Aerys his nephew. But in the books, Aerys was the grandson of Aegon V. Aegon’s son was Jaehaerys II, who was the father of Aerys II. I suppose they wanted to make the Targaryen family tree simpler for the show’s viewers to understand.
Ib4 spoilers bro!

You are correct. Martin even said some characters will be combined for easier following.
On that topic, I don’t think we should mark things that occur in aired shows as spoilers. That runs the risk that someone could confuse those spoilers with book spoilers, click on one thinking “Hey, I’ve already seen this week’s show,” and end up learning something that happens in book 3. This being a hockey board, I think we all understand that if you haven’t seen the game yet, you don’t open up PR. Likewise, if you haven’t seen the most recent episode, then don’t open this thread until you do.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Let’s talk Sansa. I don’t like her. Not once, through all of the stuff that happens to her, have I ever felt sorry for her. Not for a moment.

Book spoilers:
Spoiler:
Like when she is forced to marry Tyrion, for example, I felt really sorry for him, not her. He deserved more than a wife that would always despise him, and I didn’t think she was good enough for him anyway. In no way would Sansa even come close to being Tyrion’s intellectual equal, for example.
As I saw someone else comment on another board, Sansa seems to think that life is a perpetual fairy tale. I bet Arya has pooped things that have more common sense than her sister. So my question is: Are we supposed to like her? In other words, do you think Martin wants us to like this character and is writing accordingly? I myself am not so sure.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Shyster wrote:Let’s talk Sansa. I don’t like her. Not once, through all of the stuff that happens to her, have I ever felt sorry for her. Not for a moment.

Book spoilers:
Spoiler:
Like when she is forced to marry Tyrion, for example, I felt really sorry for him, not her. He deserved more than a wife that would always despise him, and I didn’t think she was good enough for him anyway. In no way would Sansa even come close to being Tyrion’s intellectual equal, for example.
As I saw someone else comment on another board, Sansa seems to think that life is a perpetual fairy tale. I bet Arya has pooped things that have more common sense than her sister. So my question is: Are we supposed to like her? In other words, do you think Martin wants us to like this character and is writing accordingly? I myself am not so sure.

Book Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Did you read book 4? She starts on the path to being a lot more likeable. But up until then, she is not supposed to be likeable. She is having a LONG character arc lol.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Book Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Did you read book 4? She starts on the path to being a lot more likeable. But up until then, she is not supposed to be likeable. She is having a LONG character arc lol.
Book Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Certainly, but I don't like her any better as Alayne Stone than I liked her as Sansa. While her starry-eyed foolishness does seem to be wearing off (at least somewhat), she is still nothing more than a tool to be used by others. Baelish just replaced the Lannisters as the puppeteer pulling her strings.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

Good grief...I need to stop reading spoilers. :face:

Anyhoo, I called my younger son craven when he hid under his bed from his older brother whilst they were fighting. Am I reading too much of the series? :lol:
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

My roommate's watch King of Thrones religiously, but I only watch it sporadically with them. While really entertaining, i'm usually completely lost about 70% of the time.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Haha that gif is incredible.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

AlexPKeaton wrote:Haha that gif is incredible.
No matter how much I watch it, it doesn’t get old.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

the wicked child wrote:I believe it was agreed earlier that all book spoilers should be tagged as such. I can't recall anyone breaking that rule so far. We've generally put details about the week's episode into spoiler tags as well, but no tagging.
That´s why I wanted to make a separate thread for the series instead of talking about it here in the Martin thread. Dagny didn´t like that though ;)
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Got a decent amount of reading in today. I think I'm roughly through the 4th episode now. ;)

It continues to amaze me how closely the series resembles the book.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by blurryhaze312 »

the wicked child wrote:Got a decent amount of reading in today. I think I'm roughly through the 4th episode now. ;)

It continues to amaze me how closely the series resembles the book.
Seriously. I'm amazed myself. It seems like they also did a good job of knowing what they could cut out and still have a good story left; it always annoys me when a book is turned into a movie/show and incredibly major characters or scenes are left out while other less important crap is included.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

So... how bout the finale? I was kinda hoping for what happened at the end. Obviously, I'm nowhere near that in the book itself yet, so it was a nice surprise.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Willie Kool »

the wicked child wrote:So... how bout the finale? I was kinda hoping for what happened at the end.
:thumb: Incredible. It just keeps getting better. Replay starting now...
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Yeah, it's a while since I've done any serious reading, I'll probably pick up the books now that I've finished the first season. Quality :thumb:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child wrote:So... how bout the finale? I was kinda hoping for what happened at the end. Obviously, I'm nowhere near that in the book itself yet, so it was a nice surprise.
that was awesome, book ending was still better.

I'm about 1/4 way through the 4th book and the 5th comes out in 2 weeks, this will fill in some time for my withdrawl, but next spring cant come soon enough.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

This is more show/book spoilers. If you haven't seen the finale or read most of Clash of Kings, don't read this:
Spoiler:
I found it interesting that Catelyn's "talk" with Jaime happened before the second season. I had just read her "talk" with Jaime, where he admits to incest and pushing Bran out the window. It happens in the last 200 pages or so of CoK, after Brienne becomes Cat's sworn sword (and the fall of Winterfell). Most interesting is the timing in the series, and how Jaime only fesses up to pushing Bran out...but not the reason why. Also, in CoK, Cat asks Brienne for her sword...and her chapter ends.
This one is about the finale (I'll take the spoiler tags off after everyone has watched the show):
Spoiler:
The dragon's CGI work looked pretty good. I was impressed, as I hoped it wouldn't look bad.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote: This one is about the finale (I'll take the spoiler tags off after everyone has watched the show):
Spoiler:
The dragon's CGI work looked pretty good. I was impressed, as I hoped it wouldn't look bad.
Spoiler:
I too was impressed, that's a crazy visual of her as the camera zooms out and she's in the buff with the little dragon flapping his wings and screaming. The book felt more intense with her walking out of the flames, but I can see why they didn't do it that way. Maybe I"m wrong too, it's been a while.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

from last nights finale:
Spoiler:
I don't remember Grand Maester Pycelle faking his abilities in the book, anyone else notice that?