George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by the wicked child »

Yeah, can't even go to the site now. Damn thee hbo.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I just watched next weeks episode without a hitch. :pop: I blame the entertainment thread for my success
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

"Made the bald man cry"

I was anxious to see the "crowning" scene. Very well done.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

watched the new episode last night on HBO GO, quality was pretty decent, had it running through the HTPC to the TV. So this was the episode that everyone will be talking about...
Spoiler:
I was trying to figure out if that was because of Robert dying or the 5 minute lesbian scene you get to watch?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

eddysnake wrote:watched the new episode last night on HBO GO, quality was pretty decent, had it running through the HTPC to the TV. So this was the episode that everyone will be talking about...
Spoiler:
I was trying to figure out if that was because of Robert dying or the 5 minute lesbian scene you get to watch?
Spoiler:
the subtle disembowling of the animal when jamie was getting the "get something accomplished in your life" speech and the little finger betrayal of stark were the highlights for me
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

viserys animated gif:
Spoiler:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Spoiler:
I think HBO did the episode a diservice by calling it "the episode everyone will be talking about". It was a solid episode, no doubt... but there wasn't anything too ZOMG to warrant that label. I guess the betrayal of Stark may have been what they were talking about... but it was hardly shocking, and I haven't even gotten close to that in the book yet (I'm probably very early in Episode 2 lol).
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Well, knowing the book, next week should be amazing. If not, episode after.

Get ready for lots of wtf
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Nothing says bad ass like slicing a guys throat and then pulling his tongue out of the gaping wound.

Last nights episode was kinda slow but it is setting up some major events for next week. How many more episodes left? By the looks of it they may breach the start of the next book this season.
Spoiler:
What the wildling captive at Winterfell said about the troops heading the wrong way is exactly how I have felt through all the books so far. How much is a kingdom worth if its dead?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Finally went to the library to pick up the first book, but predictably it was checked out or on hold at all of the local satellite locations
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shafnutz05 wrote:Finally went to the library to pick up the first book, but predictably it was checked out or on hold at all of the local satellite locations
Worth the $8 imo or I could just send you one of my copies. (The wife and I wanted to read it at the same time so we have 2)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

PensFanInDC wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Finally went to the library to pick up the first book, but predictably it was checked out or on hold at all of the local satellite locations
Worth the $8 imo or I could just send you one of my copies. (The wife and I wanted to read it at the same time so we have 2)
Thanks, I'll probably just buy it on Half.com though, because I'll want to have them on the bookshelf. I'm happy I am getting into this series AFTER most of them were written, unlike Dark Tower where I had to wait half my adult life for the next book.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Amazon had the set for like 20-23 bucks or so.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Thanks, I'll probably just buy it on Half.com though, because I'll want to have them on the bookshelf. I'm happy I am getting into this series AFTER most of them were written, unlike Dark Tower where I had to wait half my adult life for the next book.
I wouldn't say that just yet, the new one comes out in July and then 2 more which we may or may never see in our adult lives.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

PensFanInDC wrote:Nothing says bad ass like slicing a guys throat and then pulling his tongue out of the gaping wound.

Last nights episode was kinda slow but it is setting up some major events for next week. How many more episodes left? By the looks of it they may breach the start of the next book this season.
Spoiler:
What the wildling captive at Winterfell said about the troops heading the wrong way is exactly how I have felt through all the books so far. How much is a kingdom worth if its dead?
Tongue throught the throat was a new one for me, 100% awesome. I noticed in the credits that George R.R. Martin wrote last nights episode.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

the wicked child wrote:Amazon had the set for like 20-23 bucks or so.
Yeah, it's just under $20. I picked it up last week. I've cruised right through the first 300 pages or so. I'm amazed at the excellent job HBO has done translating it to the little screen. So much better than Pillars of the Earth, which just wasn't done well.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

eddysnake wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Nothing says bad ass like slicing a guys throat and then pulling his tongue out of the gaping wound.

Spoiler:
Tongue throught the throat was a new one for me, 100% awesome. I noticed in the credits that George R.R. Martin wrote last nights episode.
the wife: thats not even possible
me: how many time have you tried?
the wife: im going to bed
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Nice, I'll have to buy it
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

o snap. :pop:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

It's true what they say, don't get attached to any characters. I'll probably hit up the books after the series ends (whenever that may be) but so far, very entertaining.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

the wicked child wrote:o snap. :pop:
I'm about to watch tonights episode but I'm pretty sure I know what this is in reference to lol.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Also, how good is everyone's use of spoiler tags here? I'd like to discuss the show as it unfolds, but I know many here have read the books as well so I don't want to end up stumbling upon a spoiler (even a minor one).
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

meecrofilm wrote:Also, how good is everyone's use of spoiler tags here? I'd like to discuss the show as it unfolds, but I know many here have read the books as well so I don't want to end up stumbling upon a spoiler (even a minor one).
Been good so far. I try and mention my spoilers by book or tv show as a warning.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I believe it was agreed earlier that all book spoilers should be tagged as such. I can't recall anyone breaking that rule so far. We've generally put details about the week's episode into spoiler tags as well, but no tagging.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

10 minutes in and lord frey looks EXACTLY as I pictured