Isles-vs-Pens Official Presidents Day Game thread (2/19/07)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Easton »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:it is ONE FREAKING LOSS...sure it sucks, but i mean it had to end, and the team has played 4 games in 6 days...all this gloom and doom is absurd...
it was a horrible loss, it should have been 5-2, 5-3 at the most, MAF stunk it up
It doesn't matter. The streak was bound to end. Team played 4 games in 6 days -- People need to calm down. Yea, Fleury played a bad game. Yes the defense wasn't great, but man - you can't have an A+ game every time out there.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

Man I got a headache, that blew. NO more Monday at 1:00 games.
Bill
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Bill »

tough game. I think it helped that I was at work and didn't have to see it for myself.

On the bright side, it makes it a little better that I have Crosby AND Recchi on my fantasy team.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

It was a good run, Fleury had an off night, he was screened on the last goal, but I mean he had a bad game...ya know, we were eventually gonna lose, we got a couple of sucky teams coming up in Florida and Tampa (IIRC) and we can start a new streak...Fleury looks a little sluggish, maybe a rest is in order, it'll give him plenty of days to rest up, Thibault wasn't awful versus Washington, so let's give Fleury some time to recoup, he's still young, it's gonna happen...

It's not the end of the world...it's gonna happen, this was a game in hand and we lost it, but we still have 2 points on Ottawa for 4th, we didn't lose any ground technically...let's not dwell on this with a bunch of "we suck" "trade Fleury" "Let's get Bill Guerin" threads...just take it in stride, we are still 4th seed in the east and 2 points on 5th...
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Easton »

DelPen wrote:
LdubsRoot23 wrote:it is ONE FREAKING LOSS...sure it sucks, but i mean it had to end, and the team has played 4 games in 6 days...all this gloom and doom is absurd...
Here's the thing, we all say they played horrible today. But every team has bad games. It doesn't mean that we can't be upset at certain players and at the outcome. Will this change much? No, the Pens are still good. But it's still a bad loss because instead of being 3 points back from the Debs and 9 points up on 8th place now we stay 5 points back and 7 points up.
I agree, I certainly don't like the loss. But someone saying Fleury should be given a week off? Come on now...
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by 71Aj66ax87 »

I knew the streak was going to stop sooner or later,I'm not mad.I'm very pleased on how much this team has improved from last year.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pronovost19 »

I agree with playing MAF again next game. We torched Brodeur and he had a shut out the next game...it happens...MAF is not tired...he just had a bad game..
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Easton wrote:
MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
it was a horrible loss, it should have been 5-2, 5-3 at the most, MAF stunk it up
It doesn't matter. The streak was bound to end. Team played 4 games in 6 days -- People need to calm down. Yea, Fleury played a bad game. Yes the defense wasn't great, but man - you can't have an A+ game every time out there.
Today was an F game. I really don't know how Malone managed to get a HT today.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by NJ5934 »

bigkam wrote:That's a tough one to take as a Pens' player or fan.
?

The players gave up 5 to begin with.

This was a game we didn't deserve to win.....and Fleury didn't make the difference. There have been a few during the streak, so its only natural one of these was going to catch up to us sooner or later. There was alot of standing around today, Gonchar, Scuderi, and Melichar were all brutal. I would imagine that with a few days off and a lose, we'll see Shero make a move or two.

On a positive note, it couldn't be a better time to ship out Malone.
CP2

Post by CP2 »

pens20 wrote:
Jesse wrote:If I'm MT, I go right back with Fleury next game.
With two days in between games, I agree.
Maybe. But you have to worry about the team's confidence as well. How disheartening is it to fight back and then lose on a weak goal....
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

I think this is final straw in the "let's play like we have the lead" days for this Penguins club.

I can see them really bearing down and learning from this one.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

So with the loss today, the Pens fall to...wait, they're still in 4th in the conference :D
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by dman66 »

it happens. nothing you can do. a loss was inevitible. now they have to not go on a long losing streak. that is the key.
saleen66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by saleen66 »

Fleury was horrendous. December again? He is awful, but we still get enough goals to win. Not today. I blame Therrian for this game. He should have pulled Fleury after the soft goal in the second period, or at the very least the 5th awful goal. Play Thibalut next few games. Fleury needs time off with the goal coach to get his confidence back.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Some might be blast me for having the gall to make this comparison, but that felt like losing a playoff series in OT.

Obviously it's not the end of the world. Every goalie has a bad night, and a streak like this has to end eventually. It doesn't mean this team can't make the playoffs, or any other hyperbole I'm sure will appear before I post this. There are still plenty of games left.

Don't panic.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Fluery had a bad game. Put him on the ice for Florida to get his confidence back.

Had to end sometime, too bad it had to be against someone in the playoff race. Would have been nice to be ahead 11 instead of 7. It's a killer that it ended with less than a minute left.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

CP2 wrote:
pens20 wrote:
Jesse wrote:If I'm MT, I go right back with Fleury next game.
With two days in between games, I agree.
Maybe. But you have to worry about the team's confidence as well. How disheartening is it to fight back and then lose on a weak goal....
Pretty disheartening, but if Fleury is the man you're relying on, you do what Julienne did in NJ with Broduer Friday/Saturday and go right back with him as a show of confidence.

FWIW, Broduer had a shutout the following game after getting shellacked by us.
LdubsRoot23
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by LdubsRoot23 »

MarioLemieux1992 wrote:
you do realize this isn't football, one loss given the circumstances doesn't take us out of the playoffs...again 4 games in 6 days...2 in less than 24 hours, give it a rest already...

Pinning it solely on fleury just shows a lack of any hockey intelligence...he was screened on the last goal, the 5th goal was a GREAT shot by simon, and then you have goals where our pathetic Road PK just lets them open fire without challenging/blocking shots from Kozlov...but yeah, it was all fleury's fault
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by schreibdog »

mikey287 wrote:we got a couple of sucky teams coming up in Florida and Tampa (IIRC) and we can start a new streak
Well, I wouldn't call Tampa a sucky team, but you're right, Florida on Thursday and Tampa on Sunday
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

I guess our NYI media didn't watch the same game we did. Solid Isles for their 3-stars, but Borque's 3 were Robitaille, Recchi and Malone.
ChiTraderRob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ChiTraderRob »

This team was due for a bad game and a loss...especially after 2 games in under 24 hours and 4 in 6 days...They got caugth flatfooted quite a bit. They were outhit. Yeah, Fleury gave up some bad goals, but he was hung out to dry on a bunch too...The fact that he gave up the weakest one with 26 seconds left, and ultimately lost the game, magnifies the play in the net...MT will go with MAF on Thursday, and he should too. Get this one out of the system and move on. A game like this should leave a bad taste in their mouths and make them hungry again.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by jmh470 »

Nearly every conspired to lose this game. Forwards couldn't get the puck out of the zone, the defense was an abomination as it usually is, and MAF needed to be better. Losing after blowing multiple leads is a good lesson that needed to happen before March.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by mikey287 »

schreibdog wrote:
mikey287 wrote:we got a couple of sucky teams coming up in Florida and Tampa (IIRC) and we can start a new streak
Well, I wouldn't call Tampa a sucky team, but you're right, Florida on Thursday and Tampa on Sunday
I've watched Tampa play a number of times this year...they suck, defensively, the goaltending is streaky at best...they have an awesome top 6, but they rely on it far too much...Tampa will not make the playoffs unless their top 6 stays on fire for the remainder of the season...
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by farnham16 »

The entire D including Fluery was very shaky today. The team was tired, plain and simple. That's not a great excuse but this team got points in 16 straight games, that's something we can't forget. It will be very interesting to see what MT does on the goalie situation for thursday. I say play Fluery.