The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by FreeCandy44 »

Anyone hear the Ike Taylor interview yesterday? Wow...not a bright boy that one.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I heard most of it, i thought it was awesome.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:filaponis stance on the hurdle/mccutchen thing is his most blatant example of filiponi taking a wrong side of an arguement just for arguements sake
Not just that, but another shining example of lack of substance to his show. As some have pointed out here, his entire show is:
- I present Angle "A" of Talking Point (usually helps if it's the obvious contrarian viewpoint)
- Now you tell me why it's wrong, give me Angle "B", and
- I'll tell you why you're wrong.
- Oh, and there's no gray area in between.

He tried to make the point that Hurdle was wrong by drawing an analogy to Crosby, saying never in a million years would Bylsma bench Crosby. Well, yeah. That goes without saying and it's a horrible analogy on this point alone - McCutchen is a solid player, but he isn't to the Pirates what Crosby is to the Pens. Furthermore, McCutchen's overall stature within MLB isn't close to Crosby's within the NHL; if you want to draw a comparison to Crosby in MLB, start with someone like Albert Pujols.

The ideal gray area in between that Filliponi failed to identify or dwell on was something like this: The NHL equivalent of McCutchen's benching is the NHL coach bumping a talented star player down to the fourth line or cutting his ice time in the 3rd period because the player gave a lazy, selfish effort. I believe we saw it with Kovachoo a time or two this past year.

When all you do is play "it's either this, or that" like Filliponi does, the sensible middle ground is often overlooked, which is sad for this format because hosts who can find that middle ground can often turn it into good discussion by itself. Like it was said above, though, Filliponi has the market covered on lazy and formulaic.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Stoosh wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:filaponis stance on the hurdle/mccutchen thing is his most blatant example of filiponi taking a wrong side of an arguement just for arguements sake
Not just that, but another shining example of lack of substance to his show. As some have pointed out here, his entire show is:
- I present Angle "A" of Talking Point (usually helps if it's the obvious contrarian viewpoint)
- Now you tell me why it's wrong, give me Angle "B", and
- I'll tell you why you're wrong.
- Oh, and there's no gray area in between.

He tried to make the point that Hurdle was wrong by drawing an analogy to Crosby, saying never in a million years would Bylsma bench Crosby. Well, yeah. That goes without saying and it's a horrible analogy on this point alone - McCutchen is a solid player, but he isn't to the Pirates what Crosby is to the Pens. Furthermore, McCutchen's overall stature within MLB isn't close to Crosby's within the NHL; if you want to draw a comparison to Crosby in MLB, start with someone like Albert Pujols.

The ideal gray area in between that Filliponi failed to identify or dwell on was something like this: The NHL equivalent of McCutchen's benching is the NHL coach bumping a talented star player down to the fourth line or cutting his ice time in the 3rd period because the player gave a lazy, selfish effort. I believe we saw it with Kovachoo a time or two this past year.

When all you do is play "it's either this, or that" like Filliponi does, the sensible middle ground is often overlooked, which is sad for this format because hosts who can find that middle ground can often turn it into good discussion by itself. Like it was said above, though, Filliponi has the market covered on lazy and formulaic.

He was doing this with the alvarez situation earlier this week. It was the day after the Ted Lilly fiasco where hurlde put Wood, Diaz and Pearce in the lineup. He was just saying that "if i'm hurdle i'm playing alvarez everyday and batting him 4th cause that's what he's supposed to be, i don't care about winning games now". I called in and said that I agree that short run considerations should not be taken into account and only the long term development of Alvarez is important. And I also said that I don't have an answer to his dilemma, but neither does he, we don't know what should be done with alvarez to develop him (bench him, hit him everyday or send him down). So basically I don't agree with you because you don't know how to develop a young power hitter.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

FreeCandy44 wrote:Anyone hear the Ike Taylor interview yesterday? Wow...not a bright boy that one.
As compared to Tyler Kennedy?
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

Fillaponi is a guy doing a talk show in the "off" hours after the crap has been discussed to death all day. He's trying to stir the pot and create a buzz so he can get a better spot when management comes to its senses and cans Vinny and Cook.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Marshall Dylan wrote:Fillaponi is a guy doing a talk show in the "off" hours after the crap has been discussed to death all day. He's trying to stir the pot and create a buzz so he can get a better spot when management comes to its senses and cans Vinny and Cook.
no he's not, he doesn't have any other schtick
Ned Braden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Ned Braden »

What's interesting is that alot of you hate Filiponi - and while "hate" is a strong word I am not a Filiponi fan and am on record that Mueller is superior - but those of you who don't like him seem to listen to him alot since you know how much he sucks! LOL
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Ned Braden wrote:What's interesting is that alot of you hate Filiponi - and while "hate" is a strong word I am not a Filiponi fan and am on record that Mueller is superior - but those of you who don't like him seem to listen to him alot since you know how much he sucks! LOL
I see you've never heard Poni. You can listen for 5 mins and know his entire show. That's about all he ever gets from me.

I will say the drive time show today was pretty funny with the topic/s of "Who do you hate most in sports, expanded by Josh Miller to, who would you most like to punch in the face." The best part about the punched in the face part was Miller deciding if he should say it or not I'm paraphrasing but, "Guys what if we expand this topic to... I guess I shouldn't... well I guess... I probably... Eh you know what I don't care if I get fired, how bout you guys call in and tell us who you would punch if you could." Josh Miller is the man.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Mark Madden used to do that back in the day. He often also asked his guests as well... but I believe it was phrased as "which celebrity would you most like to punch in the face?".

The only one I remember is when he interviewed Cowher, he said "I don't know if it counts as a celebrity or not, but whoever decided to make 28 one lane".

/cool story bro
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

Pavel Bure wrote:
Marshall Dylan wrote:Fillaponi is a guy doing a talk show in the "off" hours after the crap has been discussed to death all day. He's trying to stir the pot and create a buzz so he can get a better spot when management comes to its senses and cans Vinny and Cook.
But you apparently keep coming back. As long as you know what he says, he wins.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Marshall Dylan wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
By catching it 5 mins at a time while flipping dials? I guess so.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Pavel Bure wrote:
Ned Braden wrote:What's interesting is that alot of you hate Filiponi - and while "hate" is a strong word I am not a Filiponi fan and am on record that Mueller is superior - but those of you who don't like him seem to listen to him alot since you know how much he sucks! LOL
I see you've never heard Poni. You can listen for 5 mins and know his entire show. That's about all he ever gets from me.

I will say the drive time show today was pretty funny with the topic/s of "Who do you hate most in sports, expanded by Josh Miller to, who would you most like to punch in the face." The best part about the punched in the face part was Miller deciding if he should say it or not I'm paraphrasing but, "Guys what if we expand this topic to... I guess I shouldn't... well I guess... I probably... Eh you know what I don't care if I get fired, how bout you guys call in and tell us who you would punch if you could." Josh Miller is the man.
a guy called in and said Andrew Filliponi. my day was made whole by that caller.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

canaan wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

a guy called in and said Andrew Filliponi. my day was made whole by that caller.

I was thinking of doing that, but thought I'd get cut off and didnt want to waste my time waiting on the line.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

Has anyone listened to a Power game yet on there? The play-by-play man, Troy Claridy goes absolutely nuts when the Power scores. Does Clardy still do weekend shows? Haven't heard him on there in a while.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Marshall Dylan wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
Don't be so sure. I've heard him maybe 2x tops, both times when I'm leaving Pittsburgh. Whoever described his description in four step above (I'm too lazy to look at this hour) is spot. Fillajabroni brings zero to the table. If you argue point A, he argues against it. If you argue point B, he argues for point A. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

canaan wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

Yeah I texted in "old man Andrew Filiponi" they read that, then for the punch in the face I texted in "whoever created the 16 and pregnant show." They didn't read it but I actually got a text back with a "lol" instead of the usual automated response.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

Pavel Bure wrote:Yeah I texted in "old man Andrew Filiponi" they read that, then for the punch in the face I texted in "whoever created the 16 and pregnant show." They didn't read it but I actually got a text back with a "lol" instead of the usual automated response.
Not something I'd expect from Fillipponi. Chris Mueller usually texts me back. Aside from that, he is getting pretty good, usually some pretty good insight, the guy really needs moved up to the 6-10p show.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

I got to talk to Mark Madden last night for a quick second at the Jason Bonham Led Zep show in Greensburg. He was a very nice and gracious man. I dont see why everyone rips him. He gets raitings and knows his stuff.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

FreeCandy44 wrote:I got to talk to Mark Madden last night for a quick second at the Jason Bonham Led Zep show in Greensburg. He was a very nice and gracious man. I dont see why everyone rips him. He gets raitings and knows his stuff.
His a real nice guy, and his radio personality is just to get the ratings.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

Malkamaniac wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:I got to talk to Mark Madden last night for a quick second at the Jason Bonham Led Zep show in Greensburg. He was a very nice and gracious man. I dont see why everyone rips him. He gets raitings and knows his stuff.
His a real nice guy, and his radio personality is just to get the ratings.
Definitely. I've heard some good things about MM despite some of jabs at his on-air persona. A guy I work with has a kid who played hockey on some team that Madden coached, had nothing but good things to say about him. He said he's a very passionate person.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

aww yeah ;) who heard Madden read my comments today on the air? Famous??!!! Yes...I am.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

http://gettoourgame.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... n-101.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by EagleMorph »

You spoke to him as a fan.

Try working with him. Completely different perspective.
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cagsjr724 »

EagleMorph wrote:
You spoke to him as a fan.

Try working with him. Completely different perspective.
u worked with double M im new here so sorry if u have explained before but please do tell