The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Thats the truth. Some joker called into the 5:40 free for all talking about how glad he was the Penguins lost, and how much he hates hockey and he's glad they wont be taking up air time from anymore pirate games. Reiterated he hates hockey, then said Go Buccos. I know a few people that don't like hockey, but they arent stupid enough to bash hockey, then follow that up with how much they love watching Pirates baseball. Give me a friggen break.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

DudeMan2766 wrote:Thats the truth. Some joker called into the 5:40 free for all talking about how glad he was the Penguins lost, and how much he hates hockey and he's glad they wont be taking up air time from anymore pirate games. Reiterated he hates hockey, then said Go Buccos. I know a few people that don't like hockey, but they arent stupid enough to bash hockey, then follow that up with how much they love watching Pirates baseball. Give me a friggen break.
There aren't people here who gloat when the Steelers have some misfortune?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I hate Sally Wiggin when she fills in on the DVE Morning show. Her voice makes me want to drown puppies.
completely agree...she is TERRIBLE!
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

I do like listening to Chris Mueller
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

I found a recorded video clip of The Fan morning show
http://www.noob.us/humor/family-guy-din ... nt-page-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JIM COLONY READS ATHLETE-LETE-LETE TWEETSSSSSSSS *GUN SHOT SOUNDS* COLONY READING TWEETS *SOUND EFFECTS* ARE YOU READY FOR THE ATHLETE TWEET OF THE DAY *after1minlongintroColonyreadsthetweetforfiveseconds* THAT WAS JIM COLONY READS ATHLETE-LETE-LETE TWEETSSSSSSSS *GUN SHOT SOUNDS* COLONY READING TWEETS *SOUND EFFECTS* ARE YOU READY FOR THE ATHLETE TWEET OF THE DAY
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Pavel Bure wrote:I found a recorded video clip of The Fan morning show
http://www.noob.us/humor/family-guy-din ... nt-page-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JIM COLONY READS ATHLETE-LETE-LETE TWEETSSSSSSSS *GUN SHOT SOUNDS* COLONY READING TWEETS *SOUND EFFECTS* ARE YOU READY FOR THE ATHLETE TWEET OF THE DAY *after1minlongintroColonyreadsthetweetforfiveseconds* THAT WAS JIM COLONY READS ATHLETE-LETE-LETE TWEETSSSSSSSS *GUN SHOT SOUNDS* COLONY READING TWEETS *SOUND EFFECTS* ARE YOU READY FOR THE ATHLETE TWEET OF THE DAY
"Clint hurdle has the pirates playing well" THAT was another Paul Alexander name drop, (sound effects) Paul Alexander name drop, naaaaaaame droooooop!!!!!!!
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Alexander criticized Bob Costas this morning for being too condescending....

That's funny Paul, that would appear to be right up your ally.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I found a recorded video clip of The Fan morning show
"Clint hurdle has the pirates playing well" THAT was another Paul Alexander name drop, (sound effects) Paul Alexander name drop, naaaaaaame droooooop!!!!!!!
kenny the kangaroo finds it annoying that each return from a commercial break and/or a news update takes a good 15 to 30 seconds each time.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I feel like they have a lot of filler on the station. Probably because that time would normally be filled by commercials, but they probably can't sell enough commercial time.

"A KDKA NEWS UPDATE IS ON THE WAY! NOW LISTEN TO A KDKA NEWS UPDATE! THIS IS A KDKA NEWS UPDATE!"
Last edited by Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed May 11, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I listen to the station on my phone using Yahoo Radio, so I may get different commercials than those listening on the radio, but I noticed that most of their commercials are for CBS TV programming and CNET programming like Molly Rants and Download DL.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Fire half of their beat on air personalities like Filliponi, Alexander, and Vinnie, and then hire good ones, and maybe I'll listen.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Malkamaniac wrote:Fire half of their beat on air personalities like Filliponi, Alexander, and Vinnie, and then hire good ones, and maybe I'll listen.
Filliponi grates on me because he thinks he's the next Jim Rome or something but he doesn't have the proper charisma to pull off that type of character. Poni is like an old old man that is somehow trapped in a mid 20 something's body. That's the other part I hate. You're what 24/25, grew up in Buffalo, and somehow have something to whine about, about every topic. He's a tool and needs to go.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Malkamaniac wrote:Fire half of their beat on air personalities like Filliponi, Alexander, and Vinnie, and then hire good ones, and maybe I'll listen.
Changes def need to happen, that 10-2 slot is grating
Ned Braden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Ned Braden »

IronDukes37 wrote:Are they having trouble selling commercials?
They are pretty much sold out when it counts.
Dostoevsky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dostoevsky »

I am truly convinced that these personalities do not actually watch, let alone study American sports and their reactions toward them that they opine to us naive followers. Listening to them is sort of like getting an audible STD.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Post by Bob McKenzie »

Why does this Chris Gates guy constantly talk about Tyler Kennedy "won't be back because someone will overpay for him in free agency?"

Does this guy not understand how NHL free agency works? Geez, it really makes you wonder if anyone can get a job without knowing what the hell they're talking about.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Pavel Bure wrote:
You're what 24/25, grew up in Buffalo, and somehow have something to whine about, about every topic. He's a tool and needs to go.
That might be my biggest problem with that jobber. He's basically new to the city. I understand needing to be a fan and care when you're hosting a show in a new city, but I've been a Penguin and Pirates fan for close to 25 years and he find 'problems' with things that I never knew even existed. Its so transparent. We know you really don't care, so don't act like you REALLY care.
Dostoevsky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dostoevsky »

Bob McKenzie wrote:Why does this Chris Gates guy constantly talk about Tyler Kennedy "won't be back because someone will overpay for him in free agency?"

Does this guy not understand how NHL free agency works? Geez, it really makes you wonder if anyone can get a job without knowing what the hell they're talking about.
I swear they regurgitate the worst trash that floats around Bleacher Report and HF Boards. I doubt they follow hockey. One of the main Pittsburgh sports reporters was on, and claimed that since Jagr scored three against a team of NHLer's, he would be able to cut it in the NHL playing a top two line role, even a third line role (one even mentioned he may look good on a line with Cooke and Letestu). Little did he know that there were actually Junior players on the American team, with Ty friggin' Conklin in net, on an ice surface that is different from NHL rinks.
Last edited by Dostoevsky on Wed May 11, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Dostoevsky wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:Why does this Chris Gates guy constantly talk about Tyler Kennedy "won't be back because someone will overpay for him in free agency?"

I swear they regurgitate the worst trash that floats around BR and HF boards. I doubt they follow hockey. One of the main Pittsburgh sports reporters was on, and claimed that since Jagr scored three against a team of NHLer's, he would be able to cut it in the NHL playing a top two line, even a third line role (one even mentioned he may look good on a line with Cooke and Letestu). Little did he know that there were actually Junior players on the American team, with Ty friggin' Conklin in net, on an ice surface that is different from NHL rinks.

Tomorrow Vinnie will probably wonder why they let Ty Conklin play the 3rd and not put Tangradi in
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

Pavel Bure wrote:
Filliponi grates on me because he thinks he's the next Jim Rome or something but he doesn't have the proper charisma to pull off that type of character. Poni is like an old old man that is somehow trapped in a mid 20 something's body. That's the other part I hate. You're what 24/25, grew up in Buffalo, and somehow have something to whine about, about every topic. He's a tool and needs to go.
Heard the transfer from Filliponi to Mueller tonight at 10 and was amused when Mueller started ripping Filliponi about being punched in the face a lot during his college years and Filliponi freely admitted it was absolutely true, like he was almost proud of it. Funny segment, but weird that Filliponi seems to realize he is a total *****bag and doesn't seem to care. They should organize a segment maybe where one lucky random caller gets to come into the studio and punch him every night just for the hell of it since he sounds like he enjoys it quite a bit. Ratings would skyrocket.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Mueller and Colony are the only reasons to listen. They can't be taken too seriously when they still employ Vinnie and Cook.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I thought there would come a point where I was just numb to "greetings and welcome to the machine" but no. It sounds number every single day