Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote: I'm squarely in the Bourdain camp with regard to the James Beard Foundation (short version: he is...... not a fan)
He really ******** about the whole thing in that latest book.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

mac5155 wrote:Anyone have any good (semi-healthy) recipes for ground turkey?
I just finished a week of eating grilled ground turkey sausages. It was a recipe from Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries. They're Uzbek in origin. Ground poultry meat with garlic and a lot of fresh dill. Form into skinless sausages and grill with smoke.

The recipe recommended ground chicken with added chicken fat to keep the sausages moist, but I used turkey. If you don't have some extra bird fat, Raichlen said you can also add a couple ounces of minced bacon. I did that, and darn those were some tasty sausages.
Dostoevsky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dostoevsky »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
obhave wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Yeah we grilled some steaks yesterday. 2 sizzler sirloins (thin sirloins), 3 ribeye and a London broil which was 12 inches long by 8 inches wide and 1.5 inches thick. I didn't think the London broil should have been grilled but my aunt insisted.
Grill london broil!?

All this talk of steak makes me want to go home and cook up some good steaks on the grill. Yummy.

Yeah I think I might pull a steak out of the freezer. Made a tenderloin roast au poive style last night, killer.
Your first mistake was putting it in the freezer.
Dostoevsky
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Dostoevsky »

Ripert is amazing. I haven't seen the show, but I've seen those shorts where he cooks meals in a *cough* toaster oven *cough*. Something tells me there was a lot of money involved in that. It's the most insincere, blatant "the camera is on me and since I'm not an actor, it's completely obvious that I'm doing this for the camera" moments I've seen. I'm really into that guy though.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I think all the episodes of 'Avec Eric' are available on Hulu.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Shyster wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Anyone have any good (semi-healthy) recipes for ground turkey?
I just finished a week of eating grilled ground turkey sausages. It was a recipe from Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries. They're Uzbek in origin. Ground poultry meat with garlic and a lot of fresh dill. Form into skinless sausages and grill with smoke.

The recipe recommended ground chicken with added chicken fat to keep the sausages moist, but I used turkey. If you don't have some extra bird fat, Raichlen said you can also add a couple ounces of minced bacon. I did that, and darn those were some tasty sausages.
Nice. I am going to have to try that.. I'm getting sick of some bread crumbs and BBQ sauce as adding flavor. Next time, I am going to pick up some pre made turkey sausages at sams club
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

This sounds good...

Curried Turkey Burgers:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... rgers-4220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Day 2 of the quesadillas was good as well. Reheated the remaining mixture and made another one. This one didn't get soggy after cooking so win.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Homemade sloppy Joe recipe anyone?
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

the wicked child wrote:Day 2 of the quesadillas was good as well. Reheated the remaining mixture and made another one. This one didn't get soggy after cooking so win.
How'd you make them?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

the wicked child wrote:Day 2 of the quesadillas was good as well. Reheated the remaining mixture and made another one. This one didn't get soggy after cooking so win.
I see I'm not the only person who eats the same dinner several days in a row. :P
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Chicken quesadillas are so under rated. I think I will try them sometime this week. What's the best way to cook them without a special "quesadilla" maker
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

would there be a cookbook you guys would recommend for me, as a college student living on my own this summer? I am going to be living in an apartment in New york having to provide for my own meals, and I would love some simple, cheap, tasty meals.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

obhave wrote:would there be a cookbook you guys would recommend for me, as a college student living on my own this summer? I am going to be living in an apartment in New york having to provide for my own meals, and I would love some simple, cheap, tasty meals.
I'll let someone else handle the cook books, but this is my favorite restaurant in NY.
It's right near the Woodside stop for the 7 train in Queens:
http://www.sripraphairestaurant.com/tem ... -menu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(You might want to go in the daytime, however.)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

obhave wrote:would there be a cookbook you guys would recommend for me, as a college student living on my own this summer? I am going to be living in an apartment in New york having to provide for my own meals, and I would love some simple, cheap, tasty meals.
There's always the hotdog cart on 52nd and 6th :pop:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i made sushi tonight. 2 different maki rolls. one was a cucumber avacado. the other was ahi tuna, cucumber, avacado, and siracha. the latter was especially for me, but my gf liked it too, so this is definitely going to be a regular thing!

obhave: Better home's and garden new cookbook 14th edition is what we have here. also, the internet is a wonderful tool.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

mac5155 wrote:
How'd you make them?
recipe is on the previous page I believe.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Depends on your skill level and how adventurous you are and how much time you can devote to cooking.

Food Network has a couple useful books like "How To Boil Water" and "Food Network Favorites: Recipes from Our All-Star Chefs". There isn't anything especially taxing in either of those, just approachable and handy recipes for tasty food.

Thomas Keller's "Ad Hoc At Home" is a great tool for good old-fashioned family-style home cooking, but with an eye towards refinement. No soul-crushing techniques here, just good, hearty fare.

If you're a little more adventurous, get David Chang's "Momofuku". Technique-wise, there isn't anything hugely difficult between the covers (altho there are a couple recipes for things that require ingredients like 'meat glue'.... just skip over those). But there are very many dirt simple recipes in there whose biggest ingredient is time. For example, Chang gives recipes to make your own ramen noodles and your own Chinese steamed buns, as well as delicious things to eat with said noodles and buns. It's actually a really great utility cookbook that just so happens to have been written by one of the most creative chefs in the country today. They guy has a knack for flavor combinations that seem odd (Snails and mascarpone cheese? It works.) but create some awesome music in your mouth.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

mac5155 wrote:Chicken quesadillas are so under rated. I think I will try them sometime this week. What's the best way to cook them without a special "quesadilla" maker
I just use my biggest non-stick pan and a decent sized spatula (combined with my free hand) to flip it. Inevitably you lose a couple pieces of filling from the edges, but it works well enough for my liking.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

the wicked child wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
How'd you make them?
recipe is on the previous page I believe.
I'm having trouble tracking threads lately, as evidenced by my vote in the star wars.. Lol
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

mac5155 wrote: I'm having trouble tracking threads lately, as evidenced by my vote in the star wars.. Lol
Star Trek? :pop:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

the wicked child wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Chicken quesadillas are so under rated. I think I will try them sometime this week. What's the best way to cook them without a special "quesadilla" maker
I just use my biggest non-stick pan and a decent sized spatula (combined with my free hand) to flip it. Inevitably you lose a couple pieces of filling from the edges, but it works well enough for my liking.
We have a griddle/panini press (http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CFEQ8wIwAQ#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I use it all the time and it makes great easy quesadillas. No flipping, cooked evenly throughout. It's also great for pancakes, sandwiches, and a substitute for a foreman grill. $100 well spent on that thing. It's probably the kitchen gadget I use most, followed closely by the slow cooker, which I used tonight.

I made slow cooker country style ribs tonight. Boneless pork country ribs (although there was still bone in some of them, thanks Albertson's). Then I used BBQ sauce, worchestershire sauce, ketchup (small amount), grape jelly (small amount), and some apple cider. I also mixed in about 1/4 of an onion and 2 fresh jalepenos sliced into rings. They weren't the best ribs ever, but it came out pretty good. I wanted to just try the onion and pepper in the sauce to see if it did anything and it was good. Oh, and I seasoned the ribs with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and italian seasoning overnight.

Once they were cooked on low for 10 hours, I took the ribs out and reduced the sauce. The liquid from the pork cooked out, so it was really watery. It turned into a really really good BBQ sauce with just a little kick.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

bhaw wrote:
mac5155 wrote: I'm having trouble tracking threads lately, as evidenced by my vote in the star wars.. Lol
Star Trek? :pop:
its all the same to us normal people :pop:
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Made a neat little steak sandwich last night.

Had a small amount of tenderloin scrap, so I shreaded it up, marinated in small amount of Soy, Worstechersireierieurshdlf sauce, garlic powder, pepper and onion powder (left out salt b/c of soy)
Carmalized a small amount of sweet onion and green pepper, seared off the meat real good, and for my bread used two slices of texas toast garlic bread (frozen kind) w/ mozz melted all over.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:Worstechersireierieurshdlf sauce....
Not many people know the original (and correct) spelling.

Well played sir, you are clearly a professional.