Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by mac5155 »

Anyone have any good (semi-healthy) recipes for ground turkey?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I something very similar to this tonight....just dynamite:

Cajun Braised Lamb Shank Recipe:
http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/cajun-b ... hank-21299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

What is lamb like? I have had gyros before, isn't that what's in them ?
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

mac5155 wrote:What is lamb like? I have had gyros before, isn't that what's in them ?
Yeah that is typically in gyros, but having a leg/rack of lamb is nothing like it. If you compare it to a steak, it has a stronger flavour and is more gamey. To me, it also has a strange smell. Lamb with rosemary and mint - mighty tasty. It is harder to prepare, but when done right it is pretty good.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

It also seems a bit pricey. Like $10 per rack?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Troy Loney wrote:
bhaw wrote:So the new process in our house is that my wife finds something to cook and I do the cooking. She's picky with what she eats, so it works out well b/c if she gives me the recipe, I know there won't be something in there she doesn't like unless she says to change something. I cook b/c when my wife cooks, it's ridiculously bland.

We found this today http://www.bhg.com/recipe/beef/weeknigh ... -potatoes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's basically a Greek style meatloaf. I was skeptical at first since there was no ketchup or bbq sauce, but it was really good. The only changes I made/would make next time is to put in a little less onion than they say b/c it was really onion-y. Next time I'm going to make more of a Greek salad for the top instead of just cucumbers b/c I think that would be delicious. I squirted some lemon juice on top, which was good.

I used regular fat plain yogurt, which was good. More feta than the recipe calls for. And for some spice, I put Tapatio on mine (not my wife's). Both were good, but I liked the splash of hot sauce.

Potatoes I just mixed with vegetable oil and italian seasoning. salt and pepper on mine after they cooked (not my wife's).

In the end, it was good and I highly recommend for a little change up. Pretty easy to prepare too. You could probably cut the recipe in half and be ok. We both had huge pieces and there is enough for at least 2 more meals each (meaning it will likely be 3 meals for me and maybe one for the wife).

EDIT: to add... I would also throw in some more bread crumbs next time. 2lbs of meat def needs more than what they have listed.

feta cheese in a meat loaf sounds really good. If i were doing that i would also chop up some olives and put them in the meatloaf.....adding some naturally salty ingredients would be better than just using salt.
Olives + bhaw don't mix. I'll stick with salt :) But I'm sure it would be delicious if I liked that garnish concocted by Satan himself.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Am I the only person that dislikes scallops? I love seafood but I've never understood why scallops are considered fine dining.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

bhaw wrote:Am I the only person that dislikes scallops? I love seafood but I've never understood why scallops are considered fine dining.
I think they're pretty gross, though I loved the fried rice in Cuba that had clams in it.

Filet mignon = :thumbdown: : Why would you ruin a perfectly good piece of steak by wrapping a crappy piece of bacon around it?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
bhaw wrote:Am I the only person that dislikes scallops? I love seafood but I've never understood why scallops are considered fine dining.
I think they're pretty gross, though I loved the fried rice in Cuba that had clams in it.

Filet mignon = :thumbdown: : Why would you ruin a perfectly good piece of steak by wrapping a crappy piece of bacon around it?
Well, most filet is not wrapped with bacon. To get that, you normally need to order bacon wrapped filet :lol:

But I like a good steak and don't really care what the cut is. I don't find filet to be that much better than a good porterhouse or skirt steak.

I make kick ass steak.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Steak :thumb:
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i don't get the hype about filet mignon. give me a flank steak or flat iron steak any day over filet mignon. also, ribeye is by far the best cut of meat there is IMO.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Bacon wrapped scallops on the grill. Yum city!
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

count2infinity wrote:i don't get the hype about filet mignon. give me a flank steak or flat iron steak any day over filet mignon. also, ribeye is by far the best cut of meat there is IMO.
:thumb:

This is on the menu at a restaurant in Las Vegas called Carnevino; Mario Batali does a steakhouse. The menu entry simply reads: "DRY AGED BONE IN RIBEYE
for 2 - $72 per person".

This restaurant also offers a 'beef tasting menu'. 8-)
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

bhaw wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:

Well, most filet is not wrapped with bacon. To get that, you normally need to order bacon wrapped filet :lol:

But I like a good steak and don't really care what the cut is. I don't find filet to be that much better than a good porterhouse or skirt steak.

I make kick ass steak.
If you order Filet mignon here, you get a circular piece of steak with bacon wrapped around it :thumbdown: .

Cowboy Steaks ftw.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Ribeye is def win. The last 2 years we went to OBX my Uncle brought those along and they were easily the best steak I've ever had. (Granted some of that is preparation too, but the meat was excellent).
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Re: Beef Ribs

Dry rub or Sauce?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I generally like sauced ribs. Haven't had beef ribs many times though.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Sauce, ftw!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Dry rub THEN sauce :D
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

made these tonight... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/elli ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not usually a fan of her recipes, but this one sounded good so I decided to try it. Turned out pretty good. I made a couple modifications to the recipe. I was very low on chili powder, but I happened to have a lot of ancho chili powder, so I used that instead (this may have made them better actually). Also, I seasoned the chicken with Emeril's Essence before I cooked it.

I would say the only issue is that it seems like some liquid came out of the mixture after I added it to the quesadillas, so the bottom shell got a bit soggy after cooking. I'll remember that for next time and account for it.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

count2infinity wrote:i don't get the hype about filet mignon. give me a flank steak or flat iron steak any day over filet mignon. also, ribeye is by far the best cut of meat there is IMO.
It's all about the extra fat; the ribeye is the king of steaks for me.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by obhave »

I cooked a full Irish stew for 9 guys the other night. I felt like a mom feeding a soccer team.

Irish stew has simple, good flavours:

Used beef instead of lamb
Big pieces of carrots, parsnips, onions, and potatoes
Would of also used Guinness had I be able to get some, to add some interesting flavour.
Idoit40fans
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Idoit40fans »

obhave wrote:
mac5155 wrote:What is lamb like? I have had gyros before, isn't that what's in them ?
Yeah that is typically in gyros, but having a leg/rack of lamb is nothing like it.
Definitely nothing like gyro meat, assuming you think gyros are good. :pop:

But seriously, I hate lamb, love gyros.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

obhave wrote:I cooked a full Irish stew for 9 guys the other night. I felt like a mom feeding a soccer team.

Irish stew has simple, good flavours:

Used beef instead of lamb
Big pieces of carrots, parsnips, onions, and potatoes
Would of also used Guinness had I be able to get some, to add some interesting flavour.
are you an Irish Lass?
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Lamb is definitely a bit gamey, which is part of the appeal.