George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by eddysnake »

PensFanInDC wrote:Like reading books, I rarely re-watch shows. I knew at the end of the first scene it was going to be a long wait until Sunday. Im actually most anxious to see how the entire season is accepted by those who have not read the books.
I was wondering that myself and so far everyone I talked to who watched last night, but didn't read the books thought it was great, actually liked it much moreso than myself.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Like reading books, I rarely re-watch shows. I knew at the end of the first scene it was going to be a long wait until Sunday. Im actually most anxious to see how the entire season is accepted by those who have not read the books.
I was wondering that myself and so far everyone I talked to who watched last night, but didn't read the books thought it was great, actually liked it much moreso than myself.
That's cause we can nitpick the thing to no end. It's been 4-5 years since I read the books so not everything is totally fresh in my mind.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

PensFanInDC wrote: That's cause we can nitpick the thing to no end. It's been 4-5 years since I read the books so not everything is totally fresh in my mind.
I know, I even told myself while watching not to do it, but 30 seconds in, my wife was like, did they actually call them white walkers in the book...
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I think the Tyrion in the show is going to outshine the Tyrion in the book.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Spoiler:
I also got chills when Dany was given the dragon eggs...."People have no idea what they are about to get into." The final scene of the season will be her emerging from the fire with 3 dragons and that will be awesome...."People have no idea what they are about to get into."
Spoiler:
I was wondering how they might handle the whole breast-feeding-the-dragons thing at the end in terms of how graphic it would be, but considering we got to see Emilia Clarke's "tracts of land" pretty much as soon as the character appeared, I'm thinking it will go down as written.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

AlexPKeaton wrote:I think the Tyrion in the show is going to outshine the Tyrion in the book.
Yep! I love Tyrion and he's one of my favorite characters.

major spoiler
Spoiler:
"and in the end, Tywin Lannister did NOT in fact [crap] gold."
He's the best cast so far IMO. His voice is perfect.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Shyster wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Spoiler:
I also got chills when Dany was given the dragon eggs...."People have no idea what they are about to get into." The final scene of the season will be her emerging from the fire with 3 dragons and that will be awesome...."People have no idea what they are about to get into."
Spoiler:
I was wondering how they might handle the whole breast-feeding-the-dragons thing at the end in terms of how graphic it would be, but considering we got to see Emilia Clarke's "tracts of land" pretty much as soon as the character appeared, I'm thinking it will go down as written.
Yeah, I was telling my wife that anyone who reads the books after watching the show is gonna be like, "Oh man! That's just not right!" when they stop and think about how YOUNG some of these characters really are.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

AlexPKeaton wrote:I think the Tyrion in the show is going to outshine the Tyrion in the book.
Well, I don't remember book-Tyrion being under a pile of strumpets at the beginning of book 1, so I think TV-Tyrion is already winning on that point.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I dunno if you guys noticed Hodor or not. I didn't until someone pointed it out on another forum.

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

AlexPKeaton wrote:I dunno if you guys noticed Hodor or not. I didn't until someone pointed it out on another forum.

Hodor
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

PensFanInDC wrote:Yeah, I was telling my wife that anyone who reads the books after watching the show is gonna be like, "Oh man! That's just not right!" when they stop and think about how YOUNG some of these characters really are.
They did age them up some, I think. Bran is 7 in the books, but I believe in the show he told Jamie Lannister he was 10.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I'm going to have to start reading the series.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Spoiler:
its been a while, but in the book did Bran overhear Jamie and Cersei talking about who killed Jon Arryn before his fall?
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Spangler »

Saw the 1st episode last night and so far :thumb:

I haven't read the books, but I'm seriously thinking about it. I don't really have the time to read them, though. Plus, I kinda don't want anything spoiled for future episodes.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:
its been a while, but in the book did Bran overhear Jamie and Cersei talking about who killed Jon Arryn before his fall?
Don't think so.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:
Don't think so.
Spoiler:
No. In fact, in the book it seemed more like they were just making out, whereas the TV show depicted it as unambiguous boom-chikka-wow-wow.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by André »

Shyster wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
eddysnake wrote:
Spoiler:
Don't think so.
Spoiler:
No. In fact, in the book it seemed more like they were just making out, whereas the TV show depicted it as unambiguous boom-chikka-wow-wow.
Spoiler:
No. Jaime´s "pushing" Cersei towards the wall in the books =)

Also, I don´t think they´d be dead sure of who killed Jon Arryn (though the series seems to do a somewhat different take on that)
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Episode 2 was amazing. Tyrion is going to quickly steal the show, although the scenes with Danny and her slave were....... .... .... pretty good. :twisted:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I enjoyed episode 2 more than the first.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the wicked child wrote:I enjoyed episode 2 more than the first.
watched ep 2 last night, completely turned my night around. if this series keeps it up, it's going to be tough to find anything better on TV.
Spoiler:
How intense was that when Catelyn and Brans wolf were fighting off the assasin?
whats the spoiler protocol for past episodes?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I imagine a spoiler is fine. However, Book spoilers should definitely be marked as such to keep people from reading things they don't want to see.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

It always weirds me out when I see people recast from one HBO show to another... Odd to see "Tommy Carcetti" in a medieval setting. :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

the wicked child wrote:It always weirds me out when I see people recast from one HBO show to another... Odd to see "Tommy Carcetti" in a medieval setting. :lol:
Thank you! I was trying to place that guy but couldn't.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

im pretty hooked on this show. definitely awesomesauce.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

how was last night's show?