George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Killiecrankie

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by Killiecrankie »

That was good!
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Dickie Dunn »

I've never had the time to get into reading the books, which is unfortunate, and I was unable to devote my full attention to the episode last night (it seemed excellent, hopefully get to that sometime this week), but the main thing I took away from the show is that the chick that plays Daenerys is really really hot.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Yeah Dany is incredible haha. First scene!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

This show is not short on knockers, thats for sure.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

the show was good not great which may have been due to the pilot and trying to introduce all the characters. I thought a lot of the dialogue/story felt forced at times. I'm only nitpicking here, but Caitlyn was like the lady on Seinfeld, all depends on which light she was in, sometimes she looked like Neds wife, sometimes like Neds mother. Everything in Pentos was great, even if I think of Dave Navarro everytime Drogo comes on screen. For whatever reason, when they first showed Winterfell from afar, it looked like a city out of star wars
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

canaan wrote:This show is not short on knockers, thats for sure.
I'm wondering if this is a trend which will continue, or was being used as a gimmick to help keep people's attention. (it worked)

It was good... but not being familiar with the books, it took awhile for me to get into.
Spoiler:
I knew there was something creepy about the twin brother/sister as soon as I saw them... so the end wasn't too shocking.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

If you are not familiar with the books you need to give it time. There are too many characters to introduce in a very rapid sequence. They introduced all of the main characters in that first episode, and it was still a lot. Most of the minor characters have not even been introduced yet (except for the King, Joffrey (the prince), Drogo, and Dany's brother). There is still like 15 more to go just in the first season.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

AlexPKeaton wrote:If you are not familiar with the books you need to give it time. There are too many characters to introduce in a very rapid sequence. They introduced all of the main characters in that first episode, and it was still a lot. Most of the minor characters have not even been introduced yet (except for the King, Joffrey (the prince), Drogo, and Dany's brother). There is still like 15 more to go just in the first season.
Not to mention all of the main characters who wont even be a part of this season since they don't show up until the second or 3rd book. And what is a main character in this series anyway? :lol:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

PensFanInDC wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:If you are not familiar with the books you need to give it time. There are too many characters to introduce in a very rapid sequence. They introduced all of the main characters in that first episode, and it was still a lot. Most of the minor characters have not even been introduced yet (except for the King, Joffrey (the prince), Drogo, and Dany's brother). There is still like 15 more to go just in the first season.
Not to mention all of the main characters who wont even be a part of this season since they don't show up until the second or 3rd book. And what is a main character in this series anyway? :lol:
Well I would consider any character that has significant plot points OR has PoV in the books. Although by the 4th book GRRM does a Robert Jordan impersonation and starts giving PoV to everyone.

This is how I would classify the characters:

Main:
- Ned, Cat, Robb, Arya, Brandon, and Sansa Stark
- Jon Snow
- Jamie Lannister
- Cersei Lannister
- Tyrion Lannister
- Dany
- Samwell Tarly * will be in episode 2 or 3 likely
- Onion Knight * probably won't be a major character until season 2 but should have parts in this season

Minor Characters:
- Littlefinger
- The Spider
- The Hound
- The Mountain
- Joffrey and the other Cersei kids
- The King
- Cat's sister
- Sir Jorah Mormont
- Drogo
- The Knight of Flowers
- Maester Aemon
- Tywin Lannister
- The Barratheon Brothers
- Lord Commander of the Knights Watch

And that is just season 1.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Id consider Joffrey a main character.

Not looking forward to episode 2 and the...
Spoiler:
incident with Sansa's Direwolf
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Sansa is going to be majorly hated by most people that is for sure. She is the perfect actress for it, because she comes across as a huge brat just by looking at her.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Watching last night I just kept saying, "People have no idea what they are about to get into."

MAJOR BOOK SPOILER
Spoiler:
Every time something major happened with Eddard I just laughed and yelled, HE'S NOT EVEN A MAIN CHARACTER!!! His death is going to a major HBO event IMO. "People have no idea what they are about to get into."

I also got chills when Dany was given the dragon eggs...."People have no idea what they are about to get into." The final scene of the season will be her emerging from the fire with 3 dragons and that will be awesome...."People have no idea what they are about to get into."
Last edited by PensFanInDC on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

^^^ Don't read that spoiler lol. that is a MAJOR spoiler. I would edit that out PFIDC lol.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

AlexPKeaton wrote:^^^ Don't read that spoiler lol. that is a MAJOR spoiler. I would edit that out PFIDC lol.
Its in a spoiler tag for a reason. If someone clicks on it, that's their problem. :D
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

eddysnake wrote:For whatever reason, when they first showed Winterfell from afar, it looked like a city out of star wars
King's Landing too. I think the CGI artist doing the cityscapes went a little overboard.

The casting looks good. I think they did a good job with all of the characters. Sean Bean makes a good Ned.
Spoiler:
Boy, is Bean getting typecast or what. Sean Beans in a fantasy role? If so, you know his character will be:
- Noble
- Honorable
- Dead by the end of book 1
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I lold at the spoiler. :lol:

I loved the city scape of Kings Landing. It's just as I pictured it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

my concern is that with the world being so detailed, it may lead to a muddled narrative. I had a hard time keeping people's names in order. Im probably gonna re-watch it, but I felt like a lot was thrown at me in that episode.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

canaan wrote:my concern is that with the world being so detailed, it may lead to a muddled narrative. I had a hard time keeping people's names in order. Im probably gonna re-watch it, but I felt like a lot was thrown at me in that episode.
I feel the same way with the books. There are so many people to keep track of and as the story goes on the characters get more and more spread out.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Can't wait for the introduction to the Clegane brothers. They are both beyond awesome.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

yeah, hound looked great last night. at the end of the credits, they basically showed 2 minutes of clips that outlined the storyline for the rest of the season and it looked awesome. I think last night they jammed too much story-setting and character development (which they needed to do) and it should start breathing on it's own over the next few shows.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Shyster wrote:
eddysnake wrote:For whatever reason, when they first showed Winterfell from afar, it looked like a city out of star wars
King's Landing too. I think the CGI artist doing the cityscapes went a little overboard.
King's Landing too, but I didn't think it was too far off from what i was picturing

PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:
Shyster wrote:
King's Landing too, but I didn't think it was too far off from what i was picturing

Spoiler:
From the way it's described in the epic battle in SoS this is how I pictured it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Spoiler:
From the way it's described in the epic battle in SoS this is how I pictured it.
Spoiler:
I like the look a lot, can't wait to see some heads posted on spikes around the top. This is going to be a tough show to wait a whole week for the next episode. I think I'll find myself rewatching the previous episodes throughout the week quite a bit
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Like reading books, I rarely re-watch shows. I knew at the end of the first scene it was going to be a long wait until Sunday. Im actually most anxious to see how the entire season is accepted by those who have not read the books.