George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by AlexPKeaton »

eddysnake wrote:looks like I gotta order HBO again, I went back and reread Name of the wind preparing for Wise Man's fear that I got yesterday. I gotta get back into Fire and Ice mode...
Yeah that is next on my plate when I finish my re-read of book 4.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
eddysnake wrote:looks like I gotta order HBO again, I went back and reread Name of the wind preparing for Wise Man's fear that I got yesterday. I gotta get back into Fire and Ice mode...
Yeah that is next on my plate when I finish my re-read of book 4.
started it last night, so far so good, Fire and Ice started getting a little redundant for me, and this is a nice change of pace. Hopefully the HBO series will get me excited to go back and read those books again.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Not sure I get the game. Do I find a key somewhere in those videos?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

PensFanInDC wrote:Not sure I get the game. Do I find a key somewhere in those videos?
I dunno I didn't do it because I didn't feel like making an account haha. The spoiler in my post has the video you get at the end.
ded viper

Post by ded viper »

Some elaborate promo materials were sent out to various press/bloggers late last week. Most doucmented what they received and posted on line (Winteriscoming & Westeros were two sites that posted what they were sent). The clues to the game were contained in what they were sent. HBO has definitelty put some marketing $ into the series.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

The hype for this series online is ridiculous.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

hope it lives up to it, because the "ship battle" amongst others in the future is going to be expensive to film, so they'll need all the viewers they can get.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

On my re-read of the books, I noticed that most of the battles are not actually described by GRRM. He usually takes the PoV of someone being told what happened afterwords. But the King's Landing battle is definitely one that had PoV characters right in the middle of it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

AlexPKeaton wrote:On my re-read of the books, I noticed that most of the battles are not actually described by GRRM. He usually takes the PoV of someone being told what happened afterwords. But the King's Landing battle is definitely one that had PoV characters right in the middle of it.
Yeah. He spends most of his time describing food.

The story is great and I would love to know what happens but I could never read another of his books. He's like Dumas and Dickens but they got paid by the word so I understand their style. Then he writes a book with 1/2 of the characters missing and takes FOREVER to write/release the next one with said missing characters. I'm done reading this series but I will find a synopsis of what happens.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS

JULY 12

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/dan ... gons-date/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

AlexPKeaton wrote:A DANCE WITH DRAGONS

JULY 12

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/dan ... gons-date/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've changed my mind on reading the next book :pop:

I will, however, never re-read the series (Ive said never before right?). I wonder if there is a place to get a good synopsis of the first 4 books so I can get a refresher.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Woah...900 page hardback? That's insane.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

PensFanInDC wrote:

JULY 12

I will, however, never re-read the series (Ive said never before right?). I wonder if there is a place to get a good synopsis of the first 4 books so I can get a refresher.
Here is a pro tip. Get the audio version, it is read incredibly and will make re-reading it easy and fun.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:

JULY 12

Here is a pro tip. Get the audio version, it is read incredibly and will make re-reading it easy and fun.
4 audio books is a rather steep investment though. Im sure there is a detailed synopsis of the books online somewhere.....hopefully
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

PensFanInDC wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote: I've changed my mind on reading the next book :pop:

4 audio books is a rather steep investment though. Im sure there is a detailed synopsis of the books online somewhere.....hopefully
They might be available at the library, but if not, you can probably find them available on certain places in the internets.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I don't do illegal downloads (#christianguy) :lol: but I'm going to check out amazon and maybe find some used copies. The chance to read about Jon Snow again (FINALLY!) is too much to pass up for me.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

PensFanInDC wrote: I will, however, never re-read the series (Ive said never before right?). I wonder if there is a place to get a good synopsis of the first 4 books so I can get a refresher.
check this site out, I had a hard time rereading the books. This gives you a chapter by chapter summary of each book, it's great

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/101/
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

eddysnake wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote: I will, however, never re-read the series (Ive said never before right?). I wonder if there is a place to get a good synopsis of the first 4 books so I can get a refresher.
check this site out, I had a hard time rereading the books. This gives you a chapter by chapter summary of each book, it's great

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/101/
PERFECT!!!! Thank you!
Killiecrankie

Post by Killiecrankie »

When I start a series, **** gets done! ON book three!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

new full trailer, man am I excited

[youtube][/youtube]
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Killiecrankie wrote:When I start a series, **** gets done! ON book three!
Best one of the series so far IMO. Get ready for even more messed up stuff.

Anyone else notice that Melisandre, however evil she is, is the only one fighting for what is really 'right'? What she is trying to do is SAVE THE WORLD! SCREW YOUR KINGDOMS!!
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

PensFanInDC wrote:Woah...900 page hardback? That's insane.
:?: It’s no longer than the last couple of Harry Potter books. If I tell myself to slow down, I can probably stretch the read time to maybe three days or so.
Killiecrankie

Post by Killiecrankie »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Killiecrankie wrote:When I start a series, **** gets done! ON book three!
Best one of the series so far IMO. Get ready for even more messed up stuff.

Anyone else notice that Melisandre, however evil she is, is the only one fighting for what is really 'right'? What she is trying to do is SAVE THE WORLD! SCREW YOUR KINGDOMS!!
I fell in love with "the north" rather early. I don't think that that is ever going to change.

Each chapter is almost like a short story, I read em so fast and then spend 10-15 minutes thinking about everything in them and all the outcomes and options before I zoom on through the next chapter.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also if someone knows if any bakeries in the Pittsburgh Area sell lemon cakes I would be forever in your debt. I was going to bake them but meh, that is a lot of work. Maybe for next week lol.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

That was amazing!