The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by Malkamaniac »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:it seems like the fan is trying to push this agenda that pens fans arent excited about the team and want fans to get more fired up
Yea, maybe they should realize that nobody talks to that station about hockey.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

lol. i think that they are just getting the message from management to say that IMO because it comes up on each show atleast once per day. cheap play to emotion to try and get people to call in. lamesauce
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:lol. i think that they are just getting the message from management to say that IMO because it comes up on each show atleast once per day. cheap play to emotion to try and get people to call in. lamesauce
I think a lot of things with that station are a cheap play to get people talking. Every time I turn it on, it's very rare that they are actually having a worthwhile discussion when talking about it. It makes me sad, because that station was/could have been awesome when they started, but I often feel that nobody has a real sense of direction.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I stopped listening for the most part because the Yahoo Radio app that I use on my Droid to listen to the station at work craps out every 5 minutes. That and I think the station has more commercial time than actual show time. Plus the it's the same 5 commercials on loop along with stupid filler that drives me nuts. I'll put it on for a little bit everyonce in a while and then get super annoyed within 10-30 minutes and shut it off.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

yesterday's discussion was "After one year, do you think Big Ben's image has been fixed?"....during the Pens game.

You have the Pirates who are temporarily near first place in their division with people who are showing up to the ballpark. You have the Penguins who were a game away from clinching the 2 seed in the East until Saturday. I think the night before there might have been a Power game.

I'm sorry, I don't want to be that fan who thinks the Steelers deserve no talk during the offseason, but yesterday might have been the furthest point from the end of the 2010-11 season and the start of the potential 2011-12 season, and you're concerned about Ben's image? I might even be more understanding if it was for a 15 segment or even 30 minutes if the discussion was good, but this went on for three hours. :face:
Last edited by JS© on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

JS© wrote:yesterday's discussion was "After one year, do you think Big Ben's image has been fixed?"....during the Pens game.

You have the Pirates who are temporarily near first place in their division with people who are showing up to the ballpark. You have the Pirates who were a game away from clinching the 2 seed in the East. I think the night before there might have been a Power game.

I'm sorry, I don't want to be that fan who doesn't think the Steelers deserve no talk during the offseason, but yesterday might have been the furthest point from the end of the 2010-11 season and the start of the potential 2011-12 season, and you're talking about Ben's image?
:shock:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

pensfan1989 wrote:
JS© wrote:yesterday's discussion was "After one year, do you think Big Ben's image has been fixed?"....during the Pens game.

You have the Pirates who are temporarily near first place in their division with people who are showing up to the ballpark. You have the Pirates who were a game away from clinching the 2 seed in the East. I think the night before there might have been a Power game.

I'm sorry, I don't want to be that fan who doesn't think the Steelers deserve no talk during the offseason, but yesterday might have been the furthest point from the end of the 2010-11 season and the start of the potential 2011-12 season, and you're talking about Ben's image?
:shock:
:lol:

Yes, they were a day away from clinching second place in the Eastern Central Division's opening week until they lost yesterday.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Filler-type promos like:

"Baseball is a game that will break our heart. It's designed to break your heart."

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :thumb:
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

That's called counter-programming. Most hockey fans were either watching or listening to the Pens game, therefore it wasn't a good time for hockey talk.
Ned Braden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Ned Braden »

Malkamaniac wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:it seems like the fan is trying to push this agenda that pens fans arent excited about the team and want fans to get more fired up
Okay ... "nobody wants to talk about hockey on The Fan" ... but if you want to listen to some hockey talk, I understand (from a friend of mine) that tomorrow morning at 8:20 they'll have James Neal then at 9:00 Ryan Malone.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

Ned Braden wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Okay ... "nobody wants to talk about hockey on The Fan" ... but if you want to listen to some hockey talk, I understand (from a friend of mine) that tomorrow morning at 8:20 they'll have James Neal then at 9:00 Ryan Malone.
How much did they pay Malone to show up :pop:
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Todays discussion is "will the pirates ever be more popular than the penguins?"

Giannoti seemed to be loving the discussion while Alexander and Colony were really dismissive of it. This was the first time i fully agreed with Alexander's opinion about a topic.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Troy Loney wrote:Todays discussion is "will the pirates ever be more popular than the penguins?"

Giannoti seemed to be loving the discussion while Alexander and Colony were really dismissive of it. This was the first time i fully agreed with Alexander's opinion about a topic.
I took the stance of somewhere in the middle.

I think if the Pirates won, and were more consistent winners (ie. contending for the playoffs most years), they could/would surpass the Pens. I truly think this is a baseball town, and people are waiting for a winner (I know I am).

However, I don't think it would take one .500 season or playoff run like Alexander is saying and I think it would take less than many years of playoff runs like Gianotti was saying. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The Pens, except for a span of 4 years, have been consistent winners for the past 23 years, and have built a generation and a half of fans that view them as their favorite team over the Pirates. (I am one, and that will never change, I'm just not a huge baseball fan in general, even as a kid).

And the Pirates have been losing almost that entire time.

But, if the Pirates could get consistent and do something like the A's or or a team like that have done, then I think after about 5-10 years, the Pirates may creep back up there and eventually surpass the Pens again.

I think it would be neck and neck though.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I should clarify, i agreed with alexander saying that the ownership still needs to prove a financial commitment to winning and that spending on the draft does not do that....although his reasoning is flawed, he just points to the reds paying chapman $30M, which, like the pirates, is just a one time sunk cost.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Troy Loney wrote:I should clarify, i agreed with alexander saying that the ownership still needs to prove a financial commitment to winning and that spending on the draft does not do that....although his reasoning is flawed, he just points to the reds paying chapman $30M, which, like the pirates, is just a one time sunk cost.
I do agree with that.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

I think the discussion is interesting although they have beaten it to death. The pirates are in trouble IMO. They have lost an entire generation of fans. I dont know how many young kids will be interested long term.
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by tonysoprano »

Troy Loney wrote:Todays discussion is "will the pirates ever be more popular than the penguins?"

I love the term "ever" in any of these discussions. The answer is an unequivocal "yes," the Pirates will again be as popular as the Penguins. If you give me a timeline like "forever," it will pretty much always be true.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:I think the discussion is interesting although they have beaten it to death. The pirates are in trouble IMO. They have lost an entire generation of fans. I dont know how many young kids will be interested long term.

I think the discussion sucks in a comparative form, but maybe thats just me. I'm definitely a sports fan from pittsburgh and want to see all the teams do well. I do think its lame that there are some penguin fans with a major minority complex that need to bash "yinzer" football fans and make fun of the pirates for sucking to prop themselves up.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Greg Gianotti is terrible at song parodies and imitations. "Crosby come back"(baby come back) singing as MAF :face:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

viva la ben wrote:Greg Gianotti is terrible at song parodies and imitations. "Crosby come back"(baby come back) singing as MAF :face:
I liked Greg Gianotti when he wasn't on the morning show. Now he just tries to be like all the other morning shows with their zany antics and song parodies.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

that was poor
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

I like Miller, but he often comes off as in a bad mood/doesnt have anything to say about a topic--which annoys me. But overall, hes the best on the afternoon drive.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

well atleast we get to hear the song again
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

canaan wrote:I like Miller, but he often comes off as in a bad mood/doesnt have anything to say about a topic--which annoys me. But overall, hes the best on the afternoon drive.
Miller was good during steeler's season with filiponi (i'm wondering if being on with filiponi just made him look better). he's been pretty worthless since joining the seibel show.