Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by BadHands71 »

Does anyone have a good recipe that uses/features mushrooms? I just got some beautiful crimini mushrooms and I want to do something special with them.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

BadHands71 wrote:Does anyone have a good recipe that uses/features mushrooms? I just got some beautiful crimini mushrooms and I want to do something special with them.
My only uses for mushrooms are on steak or in stir fry. I make good stir fry :)
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

bhaw wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:Does anyone have a good recipe that uses/features mushrooms? I just got some beautiful crimini mushrooms and I want to do something special with them.
Lol... so do I. I want to use them for something other than what I normally put them in (stir fry, sauces, on steak, etc). I could always just stuff them, but idk, looking for something different.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

bhaw wrote:
I <3 stir frying, a wok was my first kitchen utensil of my very own. My mom makes an insanely good one, not quite asian, but she uses good season italian, chicken stock some soy and siracha. Its so good.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Stuff the shrooms with sausage and bake for about 25 min!
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

mac5155 wrote:Stuff the shrooms with sausage and bake for about 25 min!
That does sound pretty good. You might have the winning idea. :)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

BadHands71 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Stuff the shrooms with sausage and bake for about 25 min!
That does sound pretty good. You might have the winning idea. :)
Stuff it with Kielbasa and bake for 25 min :pop:

Has anyone ever had those jalapenos stuffed with feta? SOOOOO good.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Does anyone have a good recipe that uses/features mushrooms? I just got some beautiful crimini mushrooms and I want to do something special with them.
African chicken (this is something that I actually cook sometimes. People seem to like it):

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... -kure-5253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Tomas wrote:
African chicken (this is something that I actually cook sometimes. People seem to like it):

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... -kure-5253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That looks really interesting. :thumb: Thanks Tomas, I may end up deciding to try that.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by thepittman »

I love mushrooms, I try to fit them in a lot of different things.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I have a recipe for spicy chocolate cookies:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup of vegetable oil works too)
1 egg
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (4 pieces of semi sweet baking chocolate also works well)
1/2 tsp white rum (I have made this without alcohol, you can't tell the difference)

bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, longer if the cookies are larger- I generally go for a marble sized portion when forming.

dust with powdered sugar after cooling

I made chocolate covered bacon tonight as well, not sure how it'll be, but I figure it can't be all that bad.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
bhaw wrote:
I <3 stir frying, a wok was my first kitchen utensil of my very own. My mom makes an insanely good one, not quite asian, but she uses good season italian, chicken stock some soy and siracha. Its so good.
whenever i try to stir fry it always ends in disaster
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

made some fish last night (a day late for the catholic i'm supposed to be) and had cod. it's cheap and it's pretty good. a few weeks ago i tried a fish called "swai". for anyone out there that is thinking about trying it...don't. it's an absolutely disgusting fish to eat. it's slimy, not flaky at all, and just overall gross.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

count2infinity wrote:I want to cook something new this weekend. I could always just hop on the internet and find something but i was seeing if anyone had any good recipes. I like pretty much any food out there, but i'll be cooking for my girl too.

Her Likes:
Spicy
Chicken
Veggies (pretty much any veggie)

i know that seems pretty broad, but does anyone have a great recipe that you really like?

if not i'll just go to my old stand bye... jambalaya.
To the OP:

This recipe ROCKS!

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/3 ... 0233.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I want to cook something new this weekend. I could always just hop on the internet and find something but i was seeing if anyone had any good recipes. I like pretty much any food out there, but i'll be cooking for my girl too.

Her Likes:
Spicy
Chicken
Veggies (pretty much any veggie)

i know that seems pretty broad, but does anyone have a great recipe that you really like?

if not i'll just go to my old stand bye... jambalaya.
To the OP:

This recipe ROCKS!

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/3 ... 0233.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was thinking a pasta route as well.

Simple Primavera w/grilled chicken.

Fav veggies (I go w Broc, G & R Pepper, Red Onion, and some spinach, but add w/e you like)
2 Chicken breasts grilled
2 portions pasta (I like bow ties w/ this)
1.5 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 c olive oil
salt/pepper
small amount of grated Italian cheese

Grill the chicken, seasoned how you like, while this is cooking, cook pasta as directed, and heat the oil to med high heat, start with the longer cooking veggies, then add the shorter cooking veggies, saute til tender but not mushy, add in the garlic and saute for about 30-40 seconds being careful not to burn, add red pepper flakes and toss with pasta, top w grilled chix cut into stripes and garnish w/ cheese. Boom. 20-25 mins tops.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

chef-P

That sounds great! Maybe add some scallions and a pinch of Cayenne on the chicken (or even blacken it?) to kick it up a bit?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

made some pasta tonight which was pretty good. it was simple, but good (was experimental):

saute:
half a green pepper diced
half an onion diced
teaspoon of diced garlic

add to it
2 diced large tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
about half a cup of white wine
oregeno
basil
s & p

i then put it in the food processor, but don't make it smooth, leave some small chunks in there, then pour it over penne in a casserole dish. add 2 cooked cubed chicken breasts, 2 links of itallian sausage chopped up, and zucchini or yellow squash (about 2 medium-small ones). stir and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes covered with aluminum foil, then put mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top, put back in the oven until melted, scoop and serve. a little crushed red pepper on top is good for a little kick. like i said, it's very simple, but it's good. i think next time i'm going to add some more herbs. i didn't add much basil or oregano, and it needed more, so that's what i'm going to do next time.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

count2infinity wrote:made some pasta tonight which was pretty good. it was simple, but good (was experimental):

saute:
half a green pepper diced
half an onion diced
teaspoon of diced garlic

add to it
2 diced large tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
about half a cup of white wine
oregeno
basil
s & p

i then put it in the food processor, but don't make it smooth, leave some small chunks in there, then pour it over penne in a casserole dish. add 2 cooked cubed chicken breasts, 2 links of itallian sausage chopped up, and zucchini or yellow squash (about 2 medium-small ones). stir and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes covered with aluminum foil, then put mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top, put back in the oven until melted, scoop and serve. a little crushed red pepper on top is good for a little kick. like i said, it's very simple, but it's good. i think next time i'm going to add some more herbs. i didn't add much basil or oregano, and it needed more, so that's what i'm going to do next time.
Sounded excellent until you decided to put it in an oven. Just kidding, but I'm really not into baked pasta. Maybe it's because many people tend to drown everything in cheese. You should add rosemary next time.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i didn't put much cheese on it...just a thin coating across the top, and i really like the cheese part of it... to each his own i guess. and i was thinking about rosemary, but i had fresh basil and fresh oregano at the time, so i just went with those.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

count2infinity wrote:i didn't put much cheese on it...just a thin coating across the top, and i really like the cheese part of it... to each his own i guess. and i was thinking about rosemary, but i had fresh basil and fresh oregano at the time, so i just went with those.
I love cheese, especially mozzarella, but as I said, some people simply overdo it. I like simple pasta dishes. Olive oil, lots of garlic, herbs, parmesan - perfect. And some dried tomatoes and roasted pine tree seeds... damn, I'm hungry now.

Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

ExPatriatePen wrote:chef-P

That sounds great! Maybe add some scallions and a pinch of Cayenne on the chicken (or even blacken it?) to kick it up a bit?
:thumb:

on a side note, if you see something blackened on a daily special in a restaraunt, be wary, the strong blackening spice is used to mask foods that are on their last day of service. lol
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I just put an improvised take on Hungarian goulash in the oven.
The third period of the game should be delicious. :P
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

columbia wrote:I just put an improvised take on Hungarian goulash in the oven.
Do tell
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Do tell
I didn't have the best cut of beef around, so I braised it in some Malbec first.
Then threw that in with onion, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, green pepper, beef stock and some excellent paprika.

It needs a few more hours, but the early review is.... :thumb: .
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by ExPatriatePen »

columbia wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Do tell
I didn't have the best cut of beef around, so I braised it in some Malbec first.
Then threw that in with onion, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, green pepper, beef stock and some excellent paprika.

It needs a few more hours, but the early review is.... :thumb: .
Did you ever try to make that in a slow cooker? Just wondering.

I've got some blackened catfish on the menu for tonight. Nice and simple but tasty. A Cast Iron Skillet is a must for anything Blackened.