The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by Troy Loney »

IanMoran wrote:Am I the only one that outside of his limited hockey knowledge doesn't mind Vinnie at all? I'll concede his hockey knowledge is limited, but I think he has been trying to learn as much about the game as possible and doesn't attempt to be an expert when he isn't (very annoying to me). Everyone has their areas of expertise, the guy has been covering Seattle sports for years.

Yes.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Troy Loney wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Am I the only one that outside of his limited hockey knowledge doesn't mind Vinnie at all? I'll concede his hockey knowledge is limited, but I think he has been trying to learn as much about the game as possible and doesn't attempt to be an expert when he isn't (very annoying to me). Everyone has their areas of expertise, the guy has been covering Seattle sports for years.

Yes.
I believe the insane hate for him on LGP is due to his area of weakness being hockey and this being an online hockey community. That and everyone here "hates" 95% of sports media.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

i really dont mind his knowledge of hockey. what annoys me is that he says nothing. hell jibber jabber and jibber jabber but never actually says anything. unless its about bruce springsteen or food
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i really dont mind his knowledge of hockey. what annoys me is that he says nothing. hell jibber jabber and jibber jabber but never actually says anything. unless its about bruce springsteen or food
Yes...i was listening the other day and he was taking the dumbest position on some issue. I forget what it was, but I wanted to call in and be like, "the producers are forcing you have this opinion right? you can't possibly be stupid enough to think this?"
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

I'm just shocked theres more dislike for him than fillipponi tbh
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

i actually normally dont listen to him. i have the fan on at work so i hear vinnie. dont normally hear andrew
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by tonysoprano »

IanMoran wrote:I'm just shocked theres more dislike for him than fillipponi tbh
They both blow something awful, IMO. You can throw Seibel in there as well. Although they did find a gem in Josh Miller, who's a natural.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

they're both completely unlikeable....but vinnie is just a caricature of a real human being. it's pathetic that they can peddle this fat slob out there to talk about food and be stupid.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

tonysoprano wrote:
They both blow something awful, IMO. You can throw Seibel in there as well. Although they did find a gem in Josh Miller, who's a natural.
:thumb:

seibel is like a wannabe cowherd. he has no place in pittsburgh sports talk.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

tonysoprano wrote:
Here's my opinion
1. Miller- He's great
2. The majority of everyone else- Decent, may get on my nerves/disagree with, but I do enjoy listening to them (may be because I generally love sports talk
3. Morning show- Annoying, tries to be really funny and fail, WAYYYY below average / i can't listen to them for more than a minute
4. Fillipponi- I'm not exaggerating, my least favorite sports analyst / host/ personality, etc that I have ever heard (will save the rant on why).
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Troy Loney wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:
:thumb:

seibel is like a wannabe cowherd. he has no place in pittsburgh sports talk.
I might be alone in this as well, but I still can't distinguish between who is Seibel and who is Starkey
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by tonysoprano »

IanMoran wrote:I might be alone in this as well, but I still can't distinguish between who is Seibel and who is Starkey
Really? Starkey is capable of carrying that show on his own. But him and Miller would be awesome - the problem with Seibel is that he sucks more than anyone else on the panel, and also talks more than anyone else on the panel.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

tonysoprano wrote:
IanMoran wrote:I might be alone in this as well, but I still can't distinguish between who is Seibel and who is Starkey
Really? Starkey is capable of carrying that show on his own. But him and Miller would be awesome - the problem with Seibel is that he sucks more than anyone else on the panel, and also talks more than anyone else on the panel.
Not even from a content standard, they have similar voices imo. Idk, I'm not in my car much during their show so don't hear them that often.
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by tonysoprano »

IanMoran wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:
Not even from a content standard, they have similar voices imo. Idk, I'm not in my car much during their show so don't hear them that often.
Ah - I understand.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

I rarely listen to it, but Miller is really the only one I like.

That being said, I very rarely listen to the radio...
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

the STANleycup
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

It's too bad Stan is on a radio station that only broadcasts to half of allegheny county.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

viva la ben wrote:It's too bad Stan is on a radio station that only broadcasts to half of allegheny county.
I agree, I attempt to listen to him so often, but signal always gets too annoying. I'm hoping he ends up on the Fan one day
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

IanMoran wrote:
viva la ben wrote:It's too bad Stan is on a radio station that only broadcasts to half of allegheny county.
I agree, I attempt to listen to him so often, but signal always gets too annoying. I'm hoping he ends up on the Fan one day
Stan's next move will be to the St. Barnabas Retirement Community.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

Marshall Dylan wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
Stan's next move will be to the St. Barnabas Retirement Community.
There was a quote from him about why Guy Junker was not on the show, he basically said Guy has a family / a life outside of the business and he doesn't, that his career was his life... based on that he might be around for awhile lol
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Vinne and Cookie live from Mullens tmw for opening day. I gotta go down and get an upclose look at this manatee. Maybe I he'll offer me a headschet and I can be up here on schports radio nine-dee tree sheven da' Fan
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

Filiponi is terrible. Also, is Jon Burton being buried as an anchor until his contract is up? Not clear what purpose he serves.

Took me awhile to warm up to Miller but that show could easily stand to drop Seibel and feature Starkey and Miller. Good call comparing Seibel to Cowherd, I see him as a Rome wannabe as well.

Miller is an example of a good, insightful former NFL player working in radio. Mike Logan is the opposite.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Streaks House »

I enjoyed listening to Miller since day 1 when his role with the station was much more limited. I have a lot of respect for him because he's made an effort to learn/understand hockey better after he admitted he had not watched it much/knew much about it.

Chris Mueller is really solid, definitely my favorite segment. Fillipponi is horrendous, I can't figure out what his deal is. I've noticed a bit recently that the 10-2 show with Mueller will get a higher volume of calls than Fillipponi in the 6-10 slot.

Depsite Tom Grimm's weird voice inflections, he's not bad. I wouldn't mind seeing the station move him to the 10PM-2AM slot and Mueller into Fillipponi's 6PM-10PM slot.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Poni is ttteeerrrrriiiibbbblllleeeee he was on the other day whining about how baseball isn't popular and how he loved it when he was a kid and that the youth of america is failing because they haven't embraced baseball. I wanted to punch him, especially because he's 25. He's always on some high horse and it is annoying.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

it seems like the fan is trying to push this agenda that pens fans arent excited about the team and want fans to get more fired up