TV Shows

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: TV Shows

Post by pfim »

Pretty much everything I enjoy watching ends up canceled. I went through about 4 years where I didn't really watch any TV shows other than 24, I guess this is why.

I enjoy Chuck but agree with PFIDC, it's redundant at this point.

I really liked The Cape and it was canned. Thought it was a great premise for a television series.

Detroit 1-8-7-not a bad show, I was getting into it, likely canned. Not a big loss.

I watch Hawaii 5-0, still not sure if I like it.

Human Target and Lie to Me were two I watched on Fox, looks like they're up in the air. Lie to Me is getting a bit redundant, but I liked Human Target.

Chase and Outsourced were two others I enjoyed, doesn't look good.

Back to 24/7 sports I guess.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

I was watching Event but it doesn't look good for that show. They made the fatal flaw of having the first half of the season have some ridiculously boring story involving two horrible actors chasing for the sister, while the much better story line played by the much better actors got second fiddle.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

I hope Outsourced makes it. Not that it is the greatest show, but I have gotten some good laughs out of it. And now that they have really developed the characters, I think that it could succeed.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

are we allowed to make fun of mods for liking crappy TV shows? this is purely hypothetical, of course. :lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

AlexPKeaton wrote:I was watching Event but it doesn't look good for that show. They made the fatal flaw of having the first half of the season have some ridiculously boring story involving two horrible actors chasing for the sister, while the much better story line played by the much better actors got second fiddle.
Ive been trying to figure out what is wrong with the show and you hit the nail on the head. They are at least trying to give that storyline more time this season.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by pfim »

shmenguin wrote:are we allowed to make fun of mods for liking crappy TV shows? this is purely hypothetical, of course. :lol:
You're allowed to do anything you want, hypothetically. :pop:
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

pfim: I know that feeling, it all started when they canceled Life, great show. I think Lie to Me is gonna go, I really hope they find a way to keep Human Target, and from what I read about the ratings it got (even when they kept switching nights) I thinkk they'll find a way to keep it.

Here's my list of current shows I enjoy.

CBS: CSI (LV and NY), NCIS (And NCIS LA), The Mentalist , Criminal Minds (both)
ABC: Castle
USA Shows: Psych, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, White Collar
TNT Shows: Closer, Leverage, Memphis Beat
Justified
Breakout Kings (decent new show on A/E)
The Glades
Fox: Human Target, Bones, Chicago Code, Lie to Me.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Chefpatrick871 wrote: Here's my list of current shows I enjoy.

My list consist of:

CBS: How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Rules of Engagement
ABC: Modern Family
NBC: The Office, Chuck, Community, 30 Rock
FOX: The Simpsons

That's about it. As you can tell, I'm not into the dramas.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:pfim: I know that feeling, it all started when they canceled Life, great show. I think Lie to Me is gonna go, I really hope they find a way to keep Human Target, and from what I read about the ratings it got (even when they kept switching nights) I thinkk they'll find a way to keep it.

Here's my list of current shows I enjoy.

CBS: CSI (LV and NY), NCIS (And NCIS LA), The Mentalist , Criminal Minds (both)
ABC: Castle
USA Shows: Psych, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, White Collar
TNT Shows: Closer, Leverage, Memphis Beat
Justified
Breakout Kings (decent new show on A/E)
The Glades
Fox: Human Target, Bones, Chicago Code, Lie to Me.
8-)

Castle, and The Glades are cool too.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Has anyone ever seen Trailer Park Boys on netflix streaming (canadian show)? That show is incredible.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

newarenanow wrote:I haven't read this thread in a while. Does anyone watch Chuck, or know if it has been renewed?

That is one of my favorites right now and has been for the last 4 years.
The 24-episode fourth season is being produced and 19 episodes have aired (as of March 21st, 2011). The show resumes its season on April 11, 2011. The fourth season finale entitled "Chuck Versus the Cliffhanger" will air on Monday, May 16th, 2011. (wiki)

If they don't do season 5, I am suing for mental anguish and whatever else I can think of.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

I watched 1 episode of Breakout Kings only because T-Bag from Prison Break was on it. He has to be my favorite TV villain of all time.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I'll watch.

tuesday: biggest loser (i dont know why, but i watch this religiously)
wednesday: Law and Order SVU
thursday: the office, parks and rec, 30 rock.

i dont have cable so this is pretty much all of the tv i watch.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

PensFanInDC wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:I was watching Event but it doesn't look good for that show. They made the fatal flaw of having the first half of the season have some ridiculously boring story involving two horrible actors chasing for the sister, while the much better story line played by the much better actors got second fiddle.
Ive been trying to figure out what is wrong with the show and you hit the nail on the head. They are at least trying to give that storyline more time this season.
Agree on all that. They could use some better writing. I wonder what is going to happen now with the president blowing up the two buses, though. Will Sophia go on the offensive?

It's hard to like any these characters. You know? I like a show where I can just watch for the fun characters (Human Target, Leverage, Chuck and some others - you just like watching these people). I can't connect with anyone here (or on ABC's "V"). The only one I like on the Event is Vicki (Taylor Cole). And it's because she's pretty, has long legs, and nice teeth!
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Monday: Chuck, The Event, Mike and Molly, How I Met Your Mother
Thursday: Community, The Office
Friday: Fringe
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

pfim wrote:I enjoy Chuck but agree with PFIDC, it's redundant at this point.

No.

I really liked The Cape and it was canned.

Seriously? Dude.

That's exactly how I feel. I kind of like it, but I kind of think it's not so good and I'm stuck right in the middle.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Sarcastic wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
Agree on all that. They could use some better writing. I wonder what is going to happen now with the president blowing up the two buses, though. Will Sophia go on the offensive?

It's hard to like any these characters. You know? I like a show where I can just watch for the fun characters (Human Target, Leverage, Chuck and some others - you just like watching these people). I can't connect with anyone here (or on ABC's "V"). The only one I like on the Event is Vicki (Taylor Cole). And it's because she's pretty, has long legs, and nice teeth!
Well I like the Magister (The CIA guy - he was the Magister in True Blood). He is definitely my favorite character. But this show has some terribly lazy writing at times. Like that scene with the Apache - an Apache can take out 3 buses without anyone on the bus knowing that the Apache is there. It is an attack helicopter FFS. Instead the show has it do some type of JU-87 esque dive bomb attack on one bus then circle around to hit the other bus to give people time to make phone calls and get away. This kind of lazy writing is what I hate about network shows.
Last edited by AlexPKeaton on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Currently running: American Dad, Family Guy, Portlandia, 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, The Office.

Not on at the moment but I follow them: South Park, Dexter, Eastbound & Down.

About to be watching: Game of Thrones.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Sarcastic wrote:

No.

Seriously? Dude.

That's exactly how I feel. I kind of like it, but I kind of think it's not so good and I'm stuck right in the middle.
Explain how Chuck isn't redundant.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Did anyone catch.......... what the hell it was called.

CHAOS. It was on CBS last Friday, the pilot episode.

My g/f and were getting ready to eat dinner and I just left CBS on. It said "pilot" episode so I said alright, let's give this 5 minutes. You know what? I think I kinda loved it. It's about a guy who joins the CIA. He has a hard boss and is put in a unit with 3 other guys who, well, you gotta see how they treat him. But it was funny. I mean, it was really funny in parts where I actually laughed. I recommend you guys check out the pilot.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Sarcastic wrote:Did anyone catch.......... what the hell it was called.

My g/f and were getting ready to eat dinner and I just left CBS on. It said "pilot" episode so I said alright, let's give this 5 minutes. You know what? I think I kinda loved it. It's about a guy who joins the CIA. He has a hard boss and is put in a unit with 3 other guys who, well, you gotta see how they treat him. But it was funny. I mean, it was really funny in parts where I actually laughed. I recommend you guys check out the pilot.
is that the christian slater show?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

PensFanInDC wrote: Explain how Chuck isn't redundant.
I like the whole Volkoff's daughter story line. I think that was new had/will have a different twist.

Having Casey run a new program with agents strictly built via the Intersect was a neat throw in for mid season.

And I'm interested in what is going to happen with Ellie and Awesome.

While the premise is the same, I think they have added some great story lines. That is the way it is with most shows.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

No.

Seriously? Dude.

Explain how Chuck isn't redundant.
Well, I won't argue if some see it that way, but it really doesn't matter to me. That is one of the most likable and fun groups of people on TV and I think that is the most important part of the show and why people come back to it.

I personally think that a show like this can come up with many scenarios that it doesn't get too boring, so I wouldn't call it redundant. Same as it was with Stargate SG-1. Yeah, same thing over and over, but I think that show could have gone another 10 seasons. What is redundant anyway? If something works, I say keep going.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

canaan wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Did anyone catch.......... what the hell it was called.

is that the christian slater show?
Here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_(TV_series)

I mean it when I say that if new episodes are as good as the pilot, this will be my new favorite.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Sarcastic wrote:Well, I won't argue if some see it that way, but it really doesn't matter to me. That is one of the most likable and fun groups of people on TV and I think that is the most important part of the show and why people come back to it.

I personally think that a show like this can come up with many scenarios that it doesn't get too boring, so I wouldn't call it redundant. Same as it was with Stargate SG-1. Yeah, same thing over and over, but I think that show could have gone another 10 seasons. What is redundant anyway? If something works, I say keep going.
That's the way I view it too. I think they have added a decent amount of story arcs and twists, and introduced new characters, bad guys, etc, and they also break up every few weeks having some outside mission from chasing down the main organizations and stuff.