The trade that didn't happen.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pops16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

The trade that didn't happen.

Post by Pops16 »

Remeber when there was talk of trading Staal for Johnson? Is the verdict out on this one or do you think we will have to wait to determine how good Jack is?

IMO, I thought at the time, and do now, that Shero shouldn't have traded just for Johnson, dangling Staal in front of the Canes. Turned out the Canes weren't very high on Johnson anyway, letting him go for very little.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Mad City Mike »

Time will tell. But it sure looks like a good non-trade now. I'll admit I was in favor of it when the rumors were flying. In terms of this year, it would have been disastrous. Five years down the road, who knows?
44bash

Post by 44bash »

I'll have to admit that I was for the trade when it was offered also.

Now I'm glad that the Pens didn't do it. but if we could have gotten Johnson for what LA gave up for him. I would have been doing the snoopy happy dance.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Mad City Mike wrote:Time will tell. But it sure looks like a good non-trade now. I'll admit I was in favor of it when the rumors were flying. In terms of this year, it would have been disastrous. Five years down the road, who knows?
It all depends what the total package was. Most people fealt the #1 pick was worth a franchise defenseman and a power forward. Say we got Ladd and JJ and then JJ decides to leave Michigan and for some reason Rutherford sends Staal back to Peterborough. Jordan Staal could have become stagnant in his development. Ladd could have 30 goals right now on Crosby's wing and JJ logging a lot of minutes paired with Whitney. Or say we got Weber and Hartnell for the pick from Nashville? Weber is a beast and Hartnell would also be putting up really good numbers.

Reports are that Shero did get some offers for the pick but none were good enough so I think he gauged Staal's value very well and made a great decision to select Staal and also not send him back to Peterborough. I think the team who will be kicking themselves is St. Louis. Erik Johnson better pan out as a franchise defenseman because he his eventual impact will always be measured against Staal's and if he does not have a good head on his shoulders it could affect him negatively.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

Props to RS for not pulling the trigger on that one :!: :!: :!: