The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by canaan »

Filliponi is a bucket of suck
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

'as long as the lawds willin ahnd da creek don rise"
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

Troy Loney wrote:colony is awesome. alexander and gianotti need to be run out of town.
Gianotti should go back to 6-10 and Filliponi should be run out of town.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Mueller and Colony are the only reasons to listen.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I called in at lunch and got to be "up here on shports radio niney tree sheven da fan" And got to tell vinnie monchici he was out of his mind for saying the Winter Classic is bigger for the NHL than the Stanley Cup playoffs.

On my way home, forgot Filiponi started at 6. Turned it on and ...
Spoiler:
Tonight my question is for you...
He said Roger Goodell's voice must be like fingernails on a chalkboard to Pittsburghers. Right, Andrew, Rogers voice is the one like fingernails on a chalkboard
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

Fan ratings took a dive in February, breaking a string of several months of growth.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Bowser »

I'm guessing their ratings dropped because football season was over and maybe some people moved to ESPN 970?
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

Bowser wrote:I'm guessing their ratings dropped because football season was over and maybe some people moved to ESPN 970?
No doubt the Steelers' playoff run pumped them up in January. 970 is down, too, so I don't think that was much of a factor.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

IronDukes37 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:....If you want more Pens talk, call in and get it started....
NAN, that's not how TheFan works, at least not how I've ever heard them work in the past year.
They have a script, every segment of every hour is scripted on exactly what topics they want to talk about.
If you call in against the script they will keep you on hold for an hour+ or tell you to call back.

They talk about what station management tells them to talk about, not what the "fans" want to talk about.
That's why we got basically a 1 hour rotation of Steelers-Pens-Pitt-Pirates, every four hour show, this past winter.
Stan and Guy never did that, Myron never did that, they opened the phones.
The numbers for the shows, how have they been? Any change of possibly having people removed for different talent? I actually miss Burton.
They've been excellent (4.4), tying WXDX, will probably beat them and move into top 10 next rating period.
Doubt anyone is moved, why would they, top (only) sports station in town and run on the cheap at that.
They program in blocks. The days of Myron opening the lines for "whatever you want to talk about" are long gone. Unless there's some obviously prevailing topic, they try to have at least two different subjects per hour. It's an ADD world. There's much more emphasis on pace now. Most callers get to ask one question or make one point, then they're dismissed. They also don't want the same callers all the time. Shows are not caller driven any more, which is one reason they emphasize texting. That's the philosophy in the entire industry, not just The Fan.

As far as being run on the cheap, the overhead is high compared to most stations in town. They're paying at least two on-air people on all the daylight shows, they're programming live past midnight, and they have to pay support staff like producers and update readers. Some of the music stations have three or four people on staff. The Fan has more than that on the air from 6 a.m. until noon. It's an expensive format to run, relative to most of the stations in town.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Does Ron Cook say "we're gonna agree to disagree" each time he can't provide a caller with a good argument?

Seems like I heard it no less than 10x on Tuesday's show.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Bioshock »

Marshall Dylan wrote:
IronDukes37 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:....If you want more Pens talk, call in and get it started....
NAN, that's not how TheFan works, at least not how I've ever heard them work in the past year.
They have a script, every segment of every hour is scripted on exactly what topics they want to talk about.
If you call in against the script they will keep you on hold for an hour+ or tell you to call back.

They talk about what station management tells them to talk about, not what the "fans" want to talk about.
That's why we got basically a 1 hour rotation of Steelers-Pens-Pitt-Pirates, every four hour show, this past winter.
Stan and Guy never did that, Myron never did that, they opened the phones.
The numbers for the shows, how have they been? Any change of possibly having people removed for different talent? I actually miss Burton.
They've been excellent (4.4), tying WXDX, will probably beat them and move into top 10 next rating period.
Doubt anyone is moved, why would they, top (only) sports station in town and run on the cheap at that.
They program in blocks. The days of Myron opening the lines for "whatever you want to talk about" are long gone. Unless there's some obviously prevailing topic, they try to have at least two different subjects per hour. It's an ADD world. There's much more emphasis on pace now. Most callers get to ask one question or make one point, then they're dismissed. They also don't want the same callers all the time. Shows are not caller driven any more, which is one reason they emphasize texting. That's the philosophy in the entire industry, not just The Fan.

As far as being run on the cheap, the overhead is high compared to most stations in town. They're paying at least two on-air people on all the daylight shows, they're programming live past midnight, and they have to pay support staff like producers and update readers. Some of the music stations have three or four people on staff. The Fan has more than that on the air from 6 a.m. until noon. It's an expensive format to run, relative to most of the stations in town.
Yeah, their format might be expensive but it doesn't change the fact that it's the laziest form of radio in existence. Seriously, whatever happened to the days of a conversation between the hosts or good guests on the shows. Whenever you just open the show and say, "We are talking about the Steelers this hour, let's go to the phones!" It's a pure waist of talent and resources. (Not that the Fan has much talent)

It's lazy and uninspired radio that has a format that the average listener could execute. Don't believe me? Call in and ask for anything stat related or even remotely in the realm of sports trivia and they haven't the slightest clue. They are literally paid to pick up the phone and say, "Welcome to 93.7 the Fan!"
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Bioshock wrote:It's lazy and uninspired radio that has a format that the average listener could execute. Don't believe me? Call in and ask for anything stat related or even remotely in the realm of sports trivia and they haven't the slightest clue. They are literally paid to pick up the phone and say, "Welcome to 93.7 the Fan!"
this is truth
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

I have noticed that Lily and Ed from Bloomfield don't get on the air as much. Even Titleman is using hid own name now.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

>>>Seriously, whatever happened to the days of a conversation between the hosts or good guests on the shows. Whenever you just open the show and say, "We are talking about the Steelers this hour, let's go to the phones!" It's a pure waist of talent and resources. (Not that the Fan has much talent) <<<

Don't know who you're talking about specifically, but you're not going to hear a lot of that between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Remember, this is a station filling almost 20 hours a day with local shows about sports. It's a challenge to do that much local programming in NY, where you have a minimum of two pro teams in all the major sports. It's a beast to take on that much local programming every day in a market like Pittsburgh.

One of the things that set Cope and Savran apart in their big days was they weren't rehashing topics that had been done to death all day.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Paul Alexander LOVES semin
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

I find myself listening to the Fan more on the weekends than during the week. At least on the weekend the shows are driven by 1 person, and not a bunch of people trying to talk over each other. During the week, I'll put it on to try and catch the news breaks every 20 minutes, or when Madden is playing music.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by pittsports87 »

I gave up on listening to the Fan a while ago. Their sports coverage is complete garbage.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

New plan, call them up and attempt to talk about professional wrestling.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

Pavel Bure wrote:New plan, call them up and attempt to talk about professional wrestling.
"Gorilla Monsoon was the greatest wrestler ever? We're going to have to agree to disagree, Pavel."
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

They had the ****ing Miz on there the other day. I've resorted to hoping the station goes bankrupt at this point.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Troy Loney wrote:They had the ****ing Miz on there the other day. I've resorted to hoping the station goes bankrupt at this point.
Why? So we can bring back B94 for the 3rd time?

If you don't like it and want to listen to sports, then go to the AM dial.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

newarenanow wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:They had the ****ing Miz on there the other day. I've resorted to hoping the station goes bankrupt at this point.

i get angry listening to alexander, vinnie, seibel and filiponi.

I think it has to do with me just wanting to see these people fail. the last three bring absolutely nothing to the table with respect to knowledge of local sports and alexander is just a horse's ***.

i would listen to 970 more if the signal didn't suck so much.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Was it... awesome?

trollface.jpeg
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Troy Loney wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

i get angry listening to alexander, vinnie, seibel and filiponi.

I think it has to do with me just wanting to see these people fail. the last three bring absolutely nothing to the table with respect to knowledge of local sports and alexander is just a horse's ***.

i would listen to 970 more if the signal didn't suck so much.
You are a very angry man arent' you. :D