Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:****tifosi77**** alert:

Modernist Cuisine, the Last Cookbook You’ll Ever Need
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/03/s ... t-cuisine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a 28 minute podcast on the book.
:shock:

Is there a way to get at that without iTunes? (I try to lead an Apple-free life)
jimjom wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I cannot imagine chocolate meat sauce. I don't like mixing chocolate with anything meaty, actually. Dessert and meat, IMO, do not mix.
I'm with you. I don't like mole sauce for this very reason. Yuck.
Mole doesn't taste particularly 'chocolatey' at all. It's actually very, very rich and complex... as might be expected from a sauce that routinely has well over two dozen ingredients.

The bitterness of a coco powder makes a great addition to a spice rub, similar to coffee grounds.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote:
columbia wrote:****tifosi77**** alert:

Modernist Cuisine, the Last Cookbook You’ll Ever Need
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/03/s ... t-cuisine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a 28 minute podcast on the book.
:shock:
There's an embedded player in the page.
It's an interview with the Wired writer, who wrote a lengthy piece on the book.
Interesting - if not a bit low level - discussion of the whys/hows of MG and the book.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

But is there a way to download it sans iTunes? I want to listen to this on my way home tonight.

Thanks for the heads up, btw. You are my font of Modernist Cuisine alerts!
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote:But is there a way to download it sans iTunes? I want to listen to this on my way home tonight.

Thanks for the heads up, btw. You are my font of Modernist Cuisine alerts!
http://downloads.wired.com/podcasts/ass ... rd_044.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though in FF it shoots you into an embedded player again.
I'd try a download manager plugin for whatever browser you use.

EDIT: A right click on the link and save as will do the trick.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Thanks, C.... you da man!! :fist:
tifosi77 wrote:EDIT: Results just announced; I lost by three votes (out of 140 cast) to a woman who made Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes. To be honest, they were delicious, so fair play to her.
Been thinking about this all evening and this morning.......

We had a late crush from our QA department; 30 tester monkeys showed up 40 minutes into the service, and three of us ran of of food one right after the other within a couple minutes. But cupcake lady still had plenty of food to serve. So I might have lost simply because I wasn't able to feed everybody.

That really snarks me off, losing because of such a simple mistake..........! :evil: :face:
Last edited by tifosi77 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Oh btw: forgot to add, that sheppards pie you made, looked absolutely amazing.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. :fist:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Saturday night, my wife and I ate at a place in Beverly Hills called The Bazaar by José Andrés. Chef Andrés is a powerhouse, having worked at el Bulli in Spain under Ferran Adrià before moving to the U.S. to open a string of successful restaurants in the Washington D.C. area. The Bazaar opened in L.A. around two years ago, and the L.A. Times gave it its first four-star review for an L.A.-based restaurant in something like ten years. It's a highly modernist space, designed by Philippe Starck (more on him below), and the menu combines traditional tapas like chicken croquettes, cod fritters, and piquillo peppers stuffed with cheese, and more modern dishes like cotton candy-wrapped foie gras. (yes, you heard me correctly) Fans of Top Chef will be keen to note that two distinguished past competitors worked in this kitchen; Marcel 'Wolverine' Vigneron was a long-time sous chef, and Mike Voltaggio (winner of the Las Vegas season) was the Chef de Cuisine for a year after the restaurant opened.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Chef Andrés and refer to his books and DVDs quite often. The meal was spectacular, the kind of thing you have dreams about for weeks afterward.

Without wanting to overly clutter the thread, here is my write up for Yelp.
Spoiler:
It did not disappoint on any level. Well..... there was *one* thing, and it was enough for me to ding a star off the review.

Our dinner (in order, as best as I can remember) started in Bar Centro with a (conventional) caipirinha for me and a Salt Air Margarita for Mrs. Me. We ordered two tapas - the croquettes de pollo and olives, two ways - before we moved to the Blanca side of the dining room and then continued our meal. Jamon Fermin Platter, Piquillos con Queso Murcia al Vino, Philly Cheesteak, Braised Wagyu Beef Cheeks, Cotton Candy Foie Gras, American Caviar Cone, Uni Steamed Buns, Hamachi Nigiri, Torta Modern Style, Coconut Island. Suffice it to say that everything was delicious, almost blackout-good in a few instance, but never less than breathtaking. And of course we had vino - a glass each of cava and Albariño, along with a Magic Mojito and an LN2 caipirinha. The latter was entertaining in its theatricality, but the caipirinha is my drink of choice, and I think I prefer it the traditional way.

All through the meal, our server - Hugh - was friendly, attentive, enthusiastic and helpful. Almost feel like I'd want to request sitting at one of his tables if/when we go back.

My one complaint about the food was that the sweetness of the steamed buns overpowered the uni on the finish, but otherwise I got nothin'. One surprise after another.... I will be haunted by the Cotton Candy Foie Gras until I can have it again; might be worth the drive up to BH some night to pop in just for one of those puppies.

So, a pretty glowing review, right? Why then did I ding a star off the review?

Because Phillippe Starck is an a**hole, that's why.

We were taken to our seats and it was revealed that I was not going to be sitting in a chair, or anything useful like that. No, I was given a five-foot high white plastic 'cone of silence' that looked like the throne for the Lord of the Playmobil People. It limited my field of view to about 20 degrees off-center when I sat back; it was decidedly akin to the sonic parabola at the science museums, where you stand at a certain point and can hear people whispering across the room. It was a horrid, vile almost sadistic thing to do to any diner, let alone one who had been looking forward to this night - this meal - for nearly two years. Sure, I could have been difficult ('that' customer) and demanded a new table. But it doesn't change the fact that *someone* would have been saddled with this torture chair. Same meal in a different chair? Five stars, easy.

So - eff you, Starck. Eff you an your stupid interior designs. May your children be doomed to a lifetime of torment in the Playmobil Chair of Shame.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Asked for 2.5 pounds of country style ribs last week at the butcher. apparently the person that went and got them for me was either new or made a mistake because i open them up and they are these beautiful bone in porkchops that were advertised about 3 bucks higher per pound than the ribs... winning!
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

count2infinity wrote:Asked for 2.5 pounds of country style ribs last week at the butcher. apparently the person that went and got them for me was either new or made a mistake because i open them up and they are these beautiful bone in porkchops that were advertised about 3 bucks higher per pound than the ribs... winning!
That is awesome. :thumb:
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

count2infinity wrote:Asked for 2.5 pounds of country style ribs last week at the butcher. apparently the person that went and got them for me was either new or made a mistake because i open them up and they are these beautiful bone in porkchops that were advertised about 3 bucks higher per pound than the ribs... winning!

Aweeeesome, <3 bone in pork chops!!! I made this for the first time the other night, it was soooo simple, and soooo damn delicious, I highly reccomend, goes great with garlic mashed and green beans

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyle ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seriously one of the best pork chop recipes Ive ever had.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Aweeeesome, <3 bone in pork chops!!! I made this for the first time the other night, it was soooo simple, and soooo damn delicious, I highly reccomend, goes great with garlic mashed and green beans

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyle ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That looks really good. I'm going to have to try that one.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

^^^ I was licking the plate clean. lol
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

I would recommend brining the chops for a day or two before cooking them.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

tifosi77 wrote:I would recommend brining the chops for a day or two before cooking them.
i put them in a brine saturday morning and cooked them sunday night... definitely tasty.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Watching DDD last nigh and they had a "lemonade porkchop" that looked to die for. Basically lemonade and ketchup with brown sugar. Holy yum
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:[Aweeeesome, <3 bone in pork chops!!! I made this for the first time the other night, it was soooo simple, and soooo damn delicious, I highly reccomend, goes great with garlic mashed and green beans

that sounds ridiculously good.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

the wicked child wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:[Aweeeesome, <3 bone in pork chops!!! I made this for the first time the other night, it was soooo simple, and soooo damn delicious, I highly reccomend, goes great with garlic mashed and green beans

that sounds ridiculously good.
It was, I mean for the small amount of ingreedents it packs a ton of flavor, careful with the cayenne it can get a lil spicy. If you dont mind that then hey, go for it!
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I would be more likely to back off on that. I don't mind a bit of spice, but I don't like needing a fire extinguisher either.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Froggy »

i've recently formed a habit of using habaneros for everything i make. i think this weekend, i'm going to come up with a dessert recipe that involved habaneros.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

I'm not sure if this is a question about a methodology or philosophy of cooking, but....

I never follow recipes, but how about you?
For me, cooking is much more comfortable as an intuitive process that combines the ingredients on hand and whatever has inspired me at the time.

I hate following instructions; perhaps because I deal in/create technology for a living, where precision is so important.
The last thing I want to do when I get in the kitchen is follow someone else's idea of the one true way.
(Though I *read* cook books all the time; go figure.)

So do you follow intuition or process?
(The latter is undoubtedly required to be a chef, but that's not in my plans.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Before I answer I want to make sure it is absolutely clear that I am not a culinary professional. I took a culinary program (24 weeks, one day a week) that was fun, and I've had a couple paid catering gigs (which I'm hoping to use as a springboard into something more formal). But I'm largely a self-taught food dweeb who has never worked in a professional/commercial kitchen.

First, and I hope Chefpatrick would agree, that 'chef' is a title, an honorific. It's not a cooking philosophy. It means that you have a set of responsibilities over and above what happens in the kitchen and on your diner's plates that includes everything from menu creation, to HR, to dealing with purveyors. But it doesn't necessarily mean you are any more attuned to the processes of actually making food. I believe very strongly that any chef worth their apron will consider themselves first and foremost a cook.

Second, I am reminded of the words of Captain Barbossa when talking about the Pirate Code. He said it was "more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules". That's what a recipe is. It's a list of ingredients and a suggested method for putting them together in a certain way. I'll defer to Chefpatrick here again, but I think it's far more important to cook with the consistency that a recipe provides in a professional setting, than it is in a home kitchen. But even in a professional kitchen no recipe can really take into account things like variable humidity and barometric pressure, how two saute pans from the same manufacturer might differ slightly in their mass and so cook the same ingredients at slightly different speeds on the same flame. There are literally a ton of variables at play.

The best cooks are not necessarily those who react best to the curves those variables throw their way, but rather they are the ones who do their best to minimize the impact those variables have on their cooking.

And don't feel bad about reading cookbooks all the time. I've probably spent $2,000 on cookbooks and related materials in the last few years, but I rarely make any recipes from the books. As you develop as a cook - when you are no longer simply cooking because you need to sustain yourself and figure you might as well make it tasty, but are cooking to satisfy an intellectual hunger as well as a physical one - I think the real value in good cookbooks is the exposure to various ways of thinking about food, about new ways to approach ingredients and flavor combinations, new textures that you might otherwise never have thought of. In that light, I have Ferran Adria and Heston Blumenthal and Jose Andres on the shelf next to Eric Ripert, Tom Collichio, Mario Batali and John Besh. (David Chang occupies his own unique strata) But there are also two books by Lynn Rosetto Kaspar and a couple generalized food science books.

So as I've grown up as a cook, I'm more instinctual in the way I put things together. But I will always be voracious in my consumption of good cookbooks.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Tomas »

Beer risotto? Beer pancakes with honey? Beer pretzels? Beer pineapple? Beer pockets?

Here you go:
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... a-chut_pks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Tomas wrote:Beer risotto? Beer pancakes with honey? Beer pretzels? Beer pineapple? Beer pockets?

Here you go:
http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... a-chut_pks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I want to try some of these actually...
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

tifosi77 wrote: First, and I hope Chefpatrick would agree, that 'chef' is a title, an honorific. It's not a cooking philosophy. It means that you have a set of responsibilities over and above what happens in the kitchen and on your diner's plates that includes everything from menu creation, to HR, to dealing with purveyors. But it doesn't necessarily mean you are any more attuned to the processes of actually making food. I believe very strongly that any chef worth their apron will consider themselves first and foremost a cook.

Second, I am reminded of the words of Captain Barbossa when talking about the Pirate Code. He said it was "more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules". That's what a recipe is. It's a list of ingredients and a suggested method for putting them together in a certain way. I'll defer to Chefpatrick here again, but I think it's far more important to cook with the consistency that a recipe provides in a professional setting, than it is in a home kitchen. But even in a professional kitchen no recipe can really take into account things like variable humidity and barometric pressure, how two saute pans from the same manufacturer might differ slightly in their mass and so cook the same ingredients at slightly different speeds on the same flame. There are literally a ton of variables at play.

The best cooks are not necessarily those who react best to the curves those variables throw their way, but rather they are the ones who do their best to minimize the impact those variables have on their cooking.

And don't feel bad about reading cookbooks all the time. I've probably spent $2,000 on cookbooks and related materials in the last few years, but I rarely make any recipes from the books. As you develop as a cook - when you are no longer simply cooking because you need to sustain yourself and figure you might as well make it tasty, but are cooking to satisfy an intellectual hunger as well as a physical one - I think the real value in good cookbooks is the exposure to various ways of thinking about food, about new ways to approach ingredients and flavor combinations, new textures that you might otherwise never have thought of. In that light, I have Ferran Adria and Heston Blumenthal and Jose Andres on the shelf next to Eric Ripert, Tom Collichio, Mario Batali and John Besh. (David Chang occupies his own unique strata) But there are also two books by Lynn Rosetto Kaspar and a couple generalized food science books.

So as I've grown up as a cook, I'm more instinctual in the way I put things together. But I will always be voracious in my consumption of good cookbooks.
Yeah the title Chef all depends on who you ask. Ask those at Culinary School and its someone who has paid into the CCA or some sort of culinary group, w/e. IMO, its the person who creates the dishes, all else, myself included are just cooks. I find it playfully annoying when I work with some jagoff fresh out of school that thinks he should be a chef, lulz. However, you can be the chef of your household, as I would say tifosi77 is. A chef is creative, not afraid to try something that might fail, and not concerned with prices, cheap or expensive (this is why I hate Corp. run kitchens, its depressing), and most all loves all things food.

Consistancy only matters in a professional setting where every table, should be getting the same dish every time they order it, sadly, as most people know, sometimes it just doesnt work out. I always say the best line cooks are those who just can forget everything around them, and just move, nonstop, it takes a few weeks at a new place, but when you find the flow (haha happy gilmore) its awesome how you can have 10-15 things going at any given time, and have them all go out correct, its a nice feeling.

However, it is SOOOOOO much more fun to cook at home, where you can use a recipe as only a guideline, and do what you like to do with it. No boundries. And as for cookbooks, I have a degree, and have spent the last 6 years in professional kitchens, and still enjoy buying and reading cookbooks, you can never, ever, stop learning when it comes to food. The chef who thinks he knows it all is a lazy liar.