They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spring!

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: They've Arrived - Stanley Cup cup parade in DC this spri

Post by Henry Hank »

anything can happen in the playoffs – health, luck, officiating, how you play.
One of those things you control, and it's the only one you should be concerned with.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Gaucho wrote:
Admin wrote:Leonsis lowers expectations.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... rc=nl_buzz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this order, of course.
:thumb: :thumb: :D
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Post by Bob McKenzie »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:*confused* :pop:
If you lived in this town and heard their fans talking today you might understand.

One dude at 7-11 actually told me that he is anxious for free agency to begin because of how many players want to play for a defending champ.
I understand. My in-laws live in Germantown and are on the Caps ST waiting list (they're Steelers fans at least). They like the Pens too and don't get wrapped up in everything but others in the family and work buddies in DC are annoying as hell when it comes to Capitals stuff.

My wife is a huge Pens fan and goes off on them all the time. She always tells them until a few years ago no one ever gave two craps about the craps and they are typical DC jump on the bandwagoners.

Trust me, I get sick of hearing it also :)

I'm surprised but not surprised. Kinda surprised it started so soon. Oh well, I hope they play the Devils in the first round and get knocked out in 4 games. :lol:

I hope I'm not the only one that wonders how their new "emphasis on defensive hockey" will contest with playoff intensity thrown at them.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Rylan »

Kovy27 wrote:Image
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by 66 Fighters of Foo »

Three Stars wrote:Image
With the exceptions of the ears and lack of barbeque sauce on its face, that cat is a dead ringer for Boudreau.

" ****ing meow. "
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by meecrofilm »

Henry Hank wrote:
One of those things you control, and it's the only one you should be concerned with.
Good to see they've already entered 'victim / whine about officiating' mode.
Gaucho
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by Gaucho »

66 Fighters of Foo wrote:
With the exceptions of the ears and lack of barbeque sauce on its face, that cat is a dead ringer for Boudreau.

" ****ing meow. "
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Henry Hank wrote:
considering the amount of whining boudreau does in his press conferences, it looks like they think they can control officiating as well.

...plus with ovechkin's steroid use, they're trying to work on the health thing, too :lol:
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Gaucho wrote:

" ****ing meow. "
Yeah, I know who was being referenced by the quote. IMO the cat looks more like Boudreau than Fat Teddy. Either way...
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Bob McKenzie »

" ****ing meow. "
I'd put some money in if someone wants to get a blown up poster of this and put Boudreau/Ted next to it and sit behind the Caps bench sometime. :lol:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I think we need to stop worrying about the Capitals
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

shafnutz05 wrote:I think we need to stop worrying about the Capitals
I'm more worried about the waffle stanley cup!
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Bob McKenzie »

I don't worry about the Caps as a team. I just get enjoyment out of their fan base having their hearts thrown into a blender.

I've never experienced a fan base as bad of them in all the years I've been going to games, Philly included. They don't fully understand the game because 99% of them only came around after Boudreau turned the team around. They think the Stanley Cup every year is winning the conference and winning any game against the Penguins. They are completely ignorant about their enjoyment with Crosby's concussion issues and Malkin's knee. They act oblivious to any issues with their team and love to throw it in everyone's face the past few years about how "this is the year."

It goes a lot further than the team though. I'm in DC quite a bit. The sportscasters help add to this brainwashing constantly. I've seen tons of insensitive and classless wise cracks on the Penguins, Crosby's injury, and Crosby in general from their sportscasters. It's really dumb stuff but the fans end up buying into it and it turns them into a mob of idiots.

It pains me to say this as a Pens fan, but I'd rather see the Flyers earn a Stanley Cup before the Caps. The Flyers and their fans have at least paid their dues and love hockey, despite wanting their own branding of goonism. The Caps are the flavor of the month in DC in terms of sports because the Redskins have sucked for a while and they are their only hope of winning a championship in the DC area. They're probably one of the most ignorant/egotistical hockey fan bases I've ever been around. Detroit fans might talk smack but give credit where credit is due, they all know their stuff.

Sorry for the rant. Eff the Caps.
:pop:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I will say, I could sleep much more easily with a Flyers victory than a Caps victory, and I live outside of Philly.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by SolidSnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:I will say, I could sleep much more easily with a Flyers victory than a Caps victory, and I live outside of Philly.
I wanted the Flyers to win last year. :pop:
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Bob McKenzie wrote: I'd put some money in if someone wants to get a blown up poster of this and put Boudreau/Ted next to it and sit behind the Caps bench sometime. :lol:
:thumb:
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by mnpensfan »

Bob McKenzie wrote:It pains me to say this as a Pens fan, but I'd rather see the Flyers earn a Stanley Cup before the Caps.
I actually told my wife that very same thing a couple of days ago....(as Satan grabs a blanket.....)
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

shafnutz05 wrote:I will say, I could sleep much more easily with a Flyers victory than a Caps victory, and I live outside of Philly.
same. i'm in south jersey and i'd prefer the flyers to win. mostly because of the laviolette vs. boudreau factor. i couldn't take seeing boudreau lifting the cup over his head. i don't like ovechkin either, but richards is enough of a turd to cancel him out.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Bob McKenzie wrote:
I don't worry about the Caps as a team. I just get enjoyment out of their fan base having their hearts thrown into a blender.

I've never experienced a fan base as bad of them in all the years I've been going to games, Philly included. They don't fully understand the game because 99% of them only came around after Boudreau turned the team around. They think the Stanley Cup every year is winning the conference and winning any game against the Penguins. They are completely ignorant about their enjoyment with Crosby's concussion issues and Malkin's knee. They act oblivious to any issues with their team and love to throw it in everyone's face the past few years about how "this is the year."

It goes a lot further than the team though. I'm in DC quite a bit. The sportscasters help add to this brainwashing constantly. I've seen tons of insensitive and classless wise cracks on the Penguins, Crosby's injury, and Crosby in general from their sportscasters. It's really dumb stuff but the fans end up buying into it and it turns them into a mob of idiots.

It pains me to say this as a Pens fan, but I'd rather see the Flyers earn a Stanley Cup before the Caps. The Flyers and their fans have at least paid their dues and love hockey, despite wanting their own branding of goonism. The Caps are the flavor of the month in DC in terms of sports because the Redskins have sucked for a while and they are their only hope of winning a championship in the DC area. They're probably one of the most ignorant/egotistical hockey fan bases I've ever been around. Detroit fans might talk smack but give credit where credit is due, they all know their stuff.

This.

Living in this area makes it different. The pens fans that have lived here for a while are like the French Resistance during WWII. We've lived with these punks for years and years and have had to put up with the BS our whole lives. Those pens fans living outside the DC area didn't even have the caps on their radar until 4-5 years ago. They were just a team that the pens always beat. But if you live here you have seen the evolution of the caps fan. You have seen the guy with Redskins crap all over his car one day and then after the caps win a few and the skins lose their 4th straight all of a sudden the guy hates the skins and is the founding member of the Rod Langway fan club.
66 Fighters of Foo
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PensFanInDC wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:

This.

Living in this area makes it different. The pens fans that have lived here for a while are like the French Resistance during WWII. We've lived with these punks for years and years and have had to put up with the BS our whole lives. Those pens fans living outside the DC area didn't even have the caps on their radar until 4-5 years ago. They were just a team that the pens always beat. But if you live here you have seen the evolution of the caps fan. You have seen the guy with Redskins crap all over his car one day and then after the caps win a few and the skins lose their 4th straight all of a sudden the guy hates the skins and is the founding member of the Rod Langway fan club.
:fist:

Living here for the past 7 years have made me hate the Caps more than the Flyers. I tried to convince myself otherwise, but the last couple years in particular have made it impossible to deny.

If the Caps win a Cup while I'm still living here, I'm going to lose it, Charlie Sheen style.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

i grew up in a DC suburb and have spent my adult life in a philly suburb, and i can honestly say that DC fans are more irritating.

philly fans aren't nearly as educated as they think they are. they claim to be oracles of sports information, but generally, they know nothing about what takes place outside of city limits. meanwhile, washington fans also have no knowledge of things outside DC, nor do they have any concept of their own history; and worse yet, they have no clue about the game itself (from basic rulebook stuff to simple strategy stuff). and the cherry on the sunday is that while philly fans can admit when their team F's up, the DC fans treat their teams with Papal-levels of infallibility.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Digitalgypsy66 »

The Caps seem to be peaking at the right time this year, instead of November. Ovie has started scoring again, and the team can win a one-goal game. If either one of their goalies gets and stays hot...look out.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The Caps seem to be peaking at the right time this year, instead of November. Ovie has started scoring again, and the team can win a one-goal game. If either one of their goalies gets and stays hot...look out.
A la the Pens in 2008. Scary.
muffinarm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by muffinarm »

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The Caps seem to be peaking at the right time this year, instead of November. Ovie has started scoring again, and the team can win a one-goal game. If either one of their goalies gets and stays hot...look out.
I like their 2-7 record in game sevens. It's cute.

I also like the fact they have blown a 3-1 series lead a whopping three times. Their history is a delicious nugget of failure. I see no reason to fear a team whose past history is a ten pound brillo pad of fail.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

muffinarm wrote:
I like their 2-7 record in game sevens. It's cute.

I also like the fact they have blown a 3-1 series lead a whopping three times. Their history is a delicious nugget of failure. I see no reason to fear a team whose past history is a ten pound brillo pad of fail.
They're due