The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by Troy Loney »

I think he was on sunday, and he was going down almost the entire southeast bracket saying that every team in the bracket can beat pitt.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

what is 'believe you me'. vinnie says it atleast once a day. i have such unfounded rage when i hear him say that it just boils my blood. anger.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what is 'believe you me'. vinnie says it atleast once a day. i have such unfounded rage when i hear him say that it just boils my blood. anger.
I think it means he wants you to think "I believe you"
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Kovy27 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what is 'believe you me'. vinnie says it atleast once a day. i have such unfounded rage when i hear him say that it just boils my blood. anger.
The whole radio station in general causes rage.

Paul Alexander knows nothing about sports.
Ron Cook is a dbagger.
Andrew Filliponi(sp) is trying to be a dbagger but just sucks. I used to like him but his switch to a more negative entity made him horrible.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

viva la ben wrote:
I think it means he wants you to think "I believe you"
then just say that wtf
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

Not Fan related, but does anybody listen to the Penguins HD station (105.9 -HD2)? I'm listening right now and they are broadcasting the NHL XM Radio show. During breaks they play local commercials or music, but they always seem to not time it correctly so you either get dead air or the music plays over the show.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Yeah, well, Welcome to the Machine.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I tune in thruout the day becuase national stuff really wears on me quickly and I need to take breaks. I just want like to hear local stuff, even tho Im not even a Pitt or Steeler fan. I haven't complained about it or even gotten upset mainly becuase I'm just numb to it. Even Vinny, who every single word that came out of his mouth got me angry, I dont even have a reaction too anymore. Im on my way home most nights from the gym as Filiponi comes on. I turn it on just to see how long I can take it. Its usually around 60 seconds before I physically cannot stand listening to him anymore. And it goes beyond his stupid voice.

Him and Starcky leading up to the Winter Classic and their berating of the NHL for simply having a backup plan for the game in case of rain was absolutely ridiculous. 4 days before the game, Starcky already had the game as a complete disaster becuase of the possibility at the time of rain. Driving to Pittsburgh on New Years Eve Filiponi had me furioius. He whined and pissed and moaned that they moved the game. He went on and on about the NHL screws everything up and they just ruined the WC. I was convinced he thought the NHL moved the start time just because. Keep in mind if the forecast would have held up, they kept the 1:00 start, the game never would ahve made it, and that also would have been his exact same stance in that situation.

I've said this here alot, but its only because I need an outlet because it gets to me so bad. I'd hate Vinnie infinately less if he took one call without saying "Yawr up here" EVERY caller. One time Vince, just one time, please say "Heres joe, hes on the fan, hi joe" But everything is "he's up here, yawr up here, Daves up here, Next up is Tom, Tom your up here on niney tree sheven. Its infuriating over and over and over.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

The only thing worse than The Fan was Chris Mack.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Not Fan related, but does anybody listen to the Penguins HD station (105.9 -HD2)? I'm listening right now and they are broadcasting the NHL XM Radio show. During breaks they play local commercials or music, but they always seem to not time it correctly so you either get dead air or the music plays over the show.
This is pretty much all I listen to during the day now. They apparently have someone in the lcoal studio who coordinates the syndicated NHL Live broadcast from 12-2, but I've noticed what you hear...sometimes the commercials run over the broadcast, and sometimes they get the dead air issues.

All in all, I think it's a good format. I love Mears's show from 9-11. He's really good, especially when he has guests on. Usually once a week, he manages to get either Rossi or Seth Rorabaugh from Empty Netters, and they're good.

Madden's 2-3 PM show is usually really good. In a lot of instances, the interviews you hear later on during his regular 3-6 show on 105.9 are just reruns of interviews he actually did during the 2-3 HD radio broadcast.

This to me is heaven compared to anything 93.7 offers during those time slots. I don't like Vinnie & Cook, and I'd listen to Seibel & Starkey more, but I can't stand Seibel's "ESPN anchor" approach.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

profpolisci wrote:The only thing worse than The Fan was Chris Mack.
Mack apparently is on Trib Live radio like John Steigerwald is also. I bet they could name the 5 people who listen to them.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

lol Filiponi was on two days ago talking about Lemieux's letter to Bettman, and he again stated the Matt Cooke argument. I decided then and there that I will never give the Fan a serious shot.

It was removed from my favorites a week or so ago, and it's been banished today. Just not worth it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Filiponi makes me miss Chris Mack, and my favorite thing about 1250 going down was Chris Mack getting fired.

I'm not sure who's with me, but I want the old espn 1250 back! (from when i first started listening to sports talk)

6-10 Mike & Mike
10-2 Junker & Crowe (give them 4 hours, no Tirico or Rome or Cowherd BS)
2-6 Madden w/Colony doing the sports updates.
after 6, national stuf or Laird or Benz or whoever, we can be flexible.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

Troy Loney wrote:Filiponi makes me miss Chris Mack, and my favorite thing about 1250 going down was Chris Mack getting fired.

I'm not sure who's with me, but I want the old espn 1250 back! (from when i first started listening to sports talk)

6-10 Mike & Mike
10-2 Junker & Crowe (give them 4 hours, no Tirico or Rome or Cowherd BS)
2-6 Madden w/Colony doing the sports updates.
after 6, national stuf or Laird or Benz or whoever, we can be flexible.
:thumb:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

i loved MM and colony
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

also someone called into the sea urchin and the wambulance stating that dixon was outcoached by calhoun last game. caller was tag teamed by the dynamic duo and were drilling him WHAT DID HE DO? HOW DID HE GET OUTCOACHED? WHAT WOULD YOU DO? and the guy said mcgee shouldnt have been on mcgee and wambulance was like jamie dixon wasnt outcoached there. its silly that he can make that contention because that mismatch happened the ENTIRE game any idiot could see it (i called it in the first half it was gonna happen) and calhoun ran a play that iso'd kemba walker on gary freaking mcgee. how is that not getting outcoached?
Spoiler:
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i loved MM and colony

Madden ripping on Colony was some of the funniest radio we've been privy to. Colony and Madden can actually be funny, and based on a lot of their interactions, i'd assume that they're both independently funny people. Madden in a pompous *** kind of way, and colony being able to poke fun at himself and take Madden mocking him really well.

Colony was probably the best target for all of Madden's insults, when he left the show I think he took a lot of the good qualities from Madden's show as well.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

i saw madden last night and he is pretty silly. seems like a decent guy
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Malkamaniac wrote:lol Filiponi was on two days ago talking about Lemieux's letter to Bettman, and he again stated the Matt Cooke argument. I decided then and there that I will never give the Fan a serious shot.

It was removed from my favorites a week or so ago, and it's been banished today. Just not worth it.

Usually I'm not a guy that bashes the media, because I think some of it is unfair. And I enjoy the FANs morning show, and Seibel and Starkey (and Miller).

But I cannot stand Filiponi, and they lost my listener ship while he is on the air.

I know what the guy does. He is purposely negative to bait people into calling his show, but he is so over the top, and will not even deviate away from that schnick to even have a decent conversation with a caller, it just gets old.

Guys that bait usually get the call in, but then will have some decent conversation on other topics. Madden does this. He will bait some people. But then he mixes in some actual sport talk, and is actually funny IMO.

I don't remember once Filliponi having a decent conversation. Everything he discusses is just baiting and negativity. And his voice is whiney. I'd like to kick him in the nuts, and as he is bending over in pain, give him an uppercut to the face for full effect.

(any one in Montreal, please do not call the cops on me, I was joking). :pop:
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

Malkamaniac wrote:lol Filiponi was on two days ago talking about Lemieux's letter to Bettman, and he again stated the Matt Cooke argument. I decided then and there that I will never give the Fan a serious shot.

This must have been the segment of his show that I stumbled upon, because the idiocy emanating from his mouth was pretty much mind-numbing. I gave it about three minutes and that was it.

I'd love it if they kicked his ass to the curb and brought Chris Mueller up from the late shift to fill that time slot. Mueller is solid...IMO he's probably the best show on that station.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Stoosh wrote:

This must have been the segment of his show that I stumbled upon, because the idiocy emanating from his mouth was pretty much mind-numbing. I gave it about three minutes and that was it.

I'd love it if they kicked his ass to the curb and brought Chris Mueller up from the late shift to fill that time slot. Mueller is solid...IMO he's probably the best show on that station.
Yea Stoosh, I'm actually pretty sure I saw your rant on twitter about it too haha.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:also someone called into the sea urchin and the wambulance stating that dixon was outcoached by calhoun last game. caller was tag teamed by the dynamic duo and were drilling him WHAT DID HE DO? HOW DID HE GET OUTCOACHED? WHAT WOULD YOU DO? and the guy said mcgee shouldnt have been on mcgee and wambulance was like jamie dixon wasnt outcoached there. its silly that he can make that contention because that mismatch happened the ENTIRE game any idiot could see it (i called it in the first half it was gonna happen) and calhoun ran a play that iso'd kemba walker on gary freaking mcgee. how is that not getting outcoached?
Spoiler:
of course, if walkers jump shot clangs, does anyone call in and say and point out that somehow, someway, ashton gibbs was WIDE FREAKING OPEN when he made the three to tie the game? Does anyone say "wow dixon got that right?"

somehow kenny the kangaroo doubts that would be the case.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i loved MM and colony
Seriously. They had perfect chemistry.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »