Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Post by columbia »

There was reference on iron chef to a product called "the smoking gun". Has anyone ever used one?
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i do not use the stones. i just use a regular pan for my pizzas. i've tried using the stones before and they turn out pretty much the same with or without it.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

count2infinity wrote:i do not use the stones. i just use a regular pan for my pizzas. i've tried using the stones before and they turn out pretty much the same with or without it.
Ah on closer look that's just a pan. I think the stone makes a crispier crust
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

mac5155 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:i do not use the stones. i just use a regular pan for my pizzas. i've tried using the stones before and they turn out pretty much the same with or without it.
Ah on closer look that's just a pan. I think the stone makes a crispier crust
Random way to make leftover pizza better/unhealthier. Deep (shallow) fry it. Zero to hot in like 35-40 seconds, crispy too. Dunno if this works with a thick crust, I tried it w/ Pizza Hut thin n crispy.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Chefpatrick871 wrote:
Random way to make leftover pizza better/unhealthier. Deep (shallow) fry it. Zero to hot in like 35-40 seconds, crispy too. Dunno if this works with a thick crust, I tried it w/ Pizza Hut thin n crispy.

lol, actually my favorite part of homemade pizza is microwaving it to reheat it. it makes the dough nice and chewy. not sure why i like it so much, but i only do it for homemade. pizza bought from take out somewhere i normally just eat it cold.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

count2infinity wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:

lol, actually my favorite part of homemade pizza is microwaving it to reheat it. it makes the dough nice and chewy. not sure why i like it so much, but i only do it for homemade. pizza bought from take out somewhere i normally just eat it cold.
omg deep fried pizza hut? i dont know if that would be amazing or barf
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Has anyone ever made Pop Rocks? I'm intrigued.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pop-Rocks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

Admin wrote:Has anyone ever made Pop Rocks? I'm intrigued.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pop-Rocks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Holy ingreedents batman!!!

Although I have to endorse any recipe that calls for a hammer. :thumb:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

columbia wrote:There was reference on iron chef to a product called "the smoking gun". Has anyone ever used one?
They sell them at Williams-Sonoma. Never used one, but it looks like a good tool.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote: >>>Modernist Cuisine: The Art & Science of Cooking<<<

39.5 pounds
2,438 pages
1,522 recipes
3,216 photographs
$625 retail

It would be worth it for the photography alone.

When Ferran Adrià, Heston Blumenthal, David Chang, Wylie Dufresne and David Kinch are all praising your book, you're truly teh bidness.

Thanks to columbia for sending me a link about the book. It's been a funny few days at the office as I've turned it loose on my fellow cooks/foodies.

Oh...so did you buy it????
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Oh, good grief no..... I just meant that I passed around the link and we've been ogling images online.

But I did tell my wife to put out notice to every single person who might conceivably be buying me a present for my birthday and Christmas over the next 3-5 years that they should just give the cash value of the gift to my "Modernist Cuisine" slush fund. 8-)

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if that book was worth over a thousand dollars in a couple years.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

tifosi77 wrote:Oh, good grief no..... I just meant that I passed around the link and we've been ogling images online.

But I did tell my wife to put out notice to every single person who might conceivably be buying me a present for my birthday and Christmas over the next 3-5 years that they should just give the cash value of the gift to my "Modernist Cuisine" slush fund. 8-)

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if that book was worth over a thousand dollars in a couple years.
Yeah...it's definitely not something that someone would buy and decide to offload for $200 on ebay.
That's a serious purchase.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

jimjom wrote:Hey count, those pizzas and pies look really good. Are you sharing a dough recipe? Every time I've tried to make pizza dough it's never turned out to be pizza dough. I always end up making the dough too watery and lump it up and bake it for the hell of it and make crappy bread.
Bread ingredients should be weighed, not measured by volume. Alton Brown always weighs bread ingredients on Good Eats, and I can confirm from the bread-baking cookbooks that I have (including one meant for professional bakers) that professional bread recipes deal with volumetric measures only for the smallest ingredients (like a tsp of salt). Everything else is weighed—water, flour, oil, you name it. Flour can vary greatly in consistency and density. A cup of flour from the top of a bag will be less compressed and comprise less flour than a cup from the bottom. Weighing ingredients is the key to consistency in bread baking. My digital scale might be the most-used tool in my kitchen.

Also, what flour are you using? Pizza needs a flour fairly high in protein, like a bread flour. AP flours vary widely in protein content, and some are way harder than others. King Arthur AP is hard enough to make bread with, but some others are too soft.

I usually use King Arthur’s Now or Later Pizza recipe. Use the “by weight” version.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

A great web page from a guy who obsessively reverse engineers his favorite pizza:
http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

tifosi77 wrote:
columbia wrote:There was reference on iron chef to a product called "the smoking gun". Has anyone ever used one?
They sell them at Williams-Sonoma. Never used one, but it looks like a good tool.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/smoking-gun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neet.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

Salts vary widely, as well. 1 Cup of Morton's kosher salt weighs about 5 oz, while 1 Cup of Diamond Crystal kosher salt weighs about 7.5 oz. (DC is a much finer grind, and so there are more salt granules per unit of volume)
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Chefpatrick871 »

mac5155 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
Chefpatrick871 wrote:

omg deep fried pizza hut? i dont know if that would be amazing or barf
With thin crust, and a pepporoni topping its awesome, I havent tried it with anything else. Also to make it more unhealthy, I think I was using lard to fry. Ha
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

Shyster wrote:
jimjom wrote:Hey count, those pizzas and pies look really good. Are you sharing a dough recipe? Every time I've tried to make pizza dough it's never turned out to be pizza dough. I always end up making the dough too watery and lump it up and bake it for the hell of it and make crappy bread.
Bread ingredients should be weighed, not measured by volume. Alton Brown always weighs bread ingredients on Good Eats, and I can confirm from the bread-baking cookbooks that I have (including one meant for professional bakers) that professional bread recipes deal with volumetric measures only for the smallest ingredients (like a tsp of salt). Everything else is weighed—water, flour, oil, you name it. Flour can vary greatly in consistency and density. A cup of flour from the top of a bag will be less compressed and comprise less flour than a cup from the bottom. Weighing ingredients is the key to consistency in bread baking. My digital scale might be the most-used tool in my kitchen.

Also, what flour are you using? Pizza needs a flour fairly high in protein, like a bread flour. AP flours vary widely in protein content, and some are way harder than others. King Arthur AP is hard enough to make bread with, but some others are too soft.

I usually use King Arthur’s Now or Later Pizza recipe. Use the “by weight” version.
i never really measure anything at all (by volume or by weight), even when making bread. just sort of go by feel. i do have a scale, but rarely use it.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

http://www.woot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW Woot has an awesome digital kitchen scale for $15.99 today (+$5 shipping)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by tifosi77 »

My company had a St. Patrick's Day cookoff today. My entry was a Shepherd's "Pie", made with lamb that was brined for two days, then braised in Guinness, along with a Jameson's reduction mounted with butter; ginger peas with rendered pancetta; and whipped potatoes made with a butter-cream mixture infused with roasted parsnips and garlic, rosemary, bay and peppercorns and then bruleed with my trusty propane torch.

We were only permitted to serve up to our guests/judges/co-workers in 2-oz cups (like the little cups you get for salad dressing in a grocery store), but I made up a 'hero' plate last night.

Need a slightly thinner layer of 'taters for next time.

EDIT: Results just announced; I lost by three votes (out of 140 cast) to a woman who made Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes. To be honest, they were delicious, so fair play to her. Best dish of the day, however was an Indian woman who made this rice and spinach dish with yogurt. If it had been remotely Irish I would've voted for it.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I cannot imagine chocolate meat sauce. I don't like mixing chocolate with anything meaty, actually. Dessert and meat, IMO, do not mix.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by jimjom »

shafnutz05 wrote:I cannot imagine chocolate meat sauce. I don't like mixing chocolate with anything meaty, actually. Dessert and meat, IMO, do not mix.
I'm with you. I don't like mole sauce for this very reason. Yuck.
columbia
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by columbia »

****tifosi77**** alert:

Modernist Cuisine, the Last Cookbook You’ll Ever Need
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/03/s ... t-cuisine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a 28 minute podcast on the book.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

tifosi77 wrote: Image
good god almighty, that looks tasty.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

canaan wrote:
tifosi77 wrote: Image
good god almighty, that looks tasty.
I second that. Holy crap that looks awesome. As I was reading how you made it, my stomach was rumbling.