GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Shyster »

DocEmrick wrote:
Shyster wrote:I have a recommendation for a store: Vintage Estate Wine and Beer.
Thanks for sharing this Shyster, I'll definitely give it a look on my next trip through Ohio. I wish they carried Sierra Nevada.
I’m certain they do, as I bought a bottle of the 2010 Celebration Ale there on a recent trip (along with, let’s see, 2 Rocheforts, a Bourbon Barrel Stout, a Monk’s Cafe Flemish Sour, and a few others I don’t remember). The inventory page on the site is not an exhaustive list of everything they have. Each beer is individually priced, and unlike Pennsylvania, there’s no requirement that you buy a six-pack at a time. The prices are pretty decent too; I would say better than bottle shops in Pennsylvania like Dee’s. It’s a really great place to go to buy sample bottles of a whole bunch of stuff. I can walk in and see dozens of “ooh, I’ve never had that.”
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by thepittman »

Going to this winter beer fest in philly this weekend.

http://winterbeerfest.com/index.php/vendors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Mango Salsa wrote:First sip of this beer I thought it was vile. By the bottom of the glass I was in love. I've loved every bottle since.

founders is my favorite US brewery by a mile
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Shyster wrote:I have a recommendation for a store: Vintage Estate Wine and Beer. It’s a bottle shop and taproom in Boardman, Ohio. I have relatives in Youngstown and I make sure to stop at V.E. whenever I’m in town to visit. It’s an easy drive; it’s right off 680, which itself is the first exit off the Ohio Turnpike. V.E. has a huge beer selection, and it includes dozens of brews that I’ve never seen in Pennsylvania (one example: Hitachino Nest beer from Japan). If you are anywhere near Youngstown/Boardman, or you want to take a weekend driving excursion, I recommend you check this place out.
D's usually keeps Hitachino in stock, usually on the shelf that is on the far wall as you walk up the steps to the cave.

I've actually heard of that place before and heard good things about it. It's a bit of a haul for me (like 3ish hours), but I do have family in that area so I could probably use that as a reason to visit. :)
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by PensBeerGeek »

First of all, the Nugget Nectar case was only $35.99 at Cappelli's, which makes the Nectar vs. Hopslam equation even easier!

Since a lot of people have brought up Hitachino Nest, just thought I'd thank Frank Furher for picking up most of the former Shangy's statewide brands (Avery, Mad River, Weihenstephan, and the imports of B. United http://www.bunitedint.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and D&V http://www.specialtybeer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). I don't know how they went about getting those brands, but if they had to resort to a little bullying to do so, then after the way that Shangy's has sent those beers to Western PA (EXTREMELY old and overpriced to date!) then anything is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

One of the benefits was that I can finally trust any bottle of Aventinus I see. I cringe when someone asks me what my favorite beer is (answer is "the one in my hand" or "the next one"...you can imagine which I prefer :D )....but Aventinus would be way up there.

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

JS© wrote:
Shyster wrote:I have a recommendation for a store: Vintage Estate Wine and Beer. It’s a bottle shop and taproom in Boardman, Ohio. I have relatives in Youngstown and I make sure to stop at V.E. whenever I’m in town to visit. It’s an easy drive; it’s right off 680, which itself is the first exit off the Ohio Turnpike. V.E. has a huge beer selection, and it includes dozens of brews that I’ve never seen in Pennsylvania (one example: Hitachino Nest beer from Japan). If you are anywhere near Youngstown/Boardman, or you want to take a weekend driving excursion, I recommend you check this place out.
D's usually keeps Hitachino in stock, usually on the shelf that is on the far wall as you walk up the steps to the cave.

I've actually heard of that place before and heard good things about it. It's a bit of a haul for me (like 3ish hours), but I do have family in that area so I could probably use that as a reason to visit. :)
http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... st#p823952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i love me some hitachino nest.

McGrogan's in canonsburg carried it at one time--dont know if they still do.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

canaan wrote:i love me some hitachino nest.
It was quite good. I believe I bought one each of the Ginger, White, Classic, and Red Rice. I think V.E. had the Stout too, but at that time I already had a bunch of stout at home.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by PensBeerGeek »

canaan wrote:McGrogan's in canonsburg carried it at one time--dont know if they still do.
McGrogan's doesn't really carry much of anything as far as craft beer goes anymore. Once the Sharp Edge Brasserie opened up, most of the craft beer drinkers shifted over there. Still open (fortunately, because I like Big Fella's for food), but the big weekend crowds were drinking macros anyway so they just went that direction.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by legame »

Don't know if you can get up in PA, but anything by Foothills Brewery out of Winston Salem is pretty solid. Hoppyum is delicious and Sexual Chocolate (limited release coming out this week I believe) is absolutely unbelievable.
jwienand
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jwienand »

LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

wasn't in the mood for samuel smith and this turned out to be an adequate replacement
Spoiler:
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

I had a Knight's Head Light last night because I'd never had it and it was on special.

Will never drink again. Ugh.
BfromD
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BfromD »

Fat Tire
jenpens325
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by jenpens325 »

llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by llipgh2 »

LeopardLetang wrote:wasn't in the mood for samuel smith and this turned out to be an adequate replacement
Spoiler:
I thought the label said "Barney Fife"... :face:

And yes, I am drinking right now. Blue Moon Belgian White.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Attended a function earlier that had only Coors light. Making it up for it now with a cold Sam Adams Chocolate Bock. It's grown on me. Was undecided after my first bottle, but not bad at all. Certainly worthy of a spot in the Winter Sampler.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

the wicked child wrote:Attended a function earlier that had only Coors light. Making it up for it now with a cold Sam Adams Chocolate Bock. It's grown on me. Was undecided after my first bottle, but not bad at all. Certainly worthy of a spot in the Winter Sampler.
It was better than expected, pretty good.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

my mom had a gathering this weekend and there was an assortment of oat sodas left over.

penn brewery sampler: the allegheny pale ale is nothing special

some sam adams sampler ( i think its like the america collection or something): the revolutionary rye ale is pretty solid. noble pils and irish red are nice too

woodchuck sampler: i couldnt drink this stuff all the time but there is a winter special thats aged in oak and its pretty good
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Just made an unbelievable stop in fox chapel on my way back into town. Uncle Sam's for the first time in months and a beer nutz stop that resulted in a case of duck rabbit schwarzbier, which I have never seen but can't wait to try.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by PensBeerGeek »

Smokin' Joes tweeted that Goose Island is Pittsburgh-bound.

While the shelves aren't going to be stocked with Bourbon County Stout day 1, still some nice beers to be had there.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen any Avery specialties yet?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Leopard, calling Barney Flats an "adequate replacement" for Sam Smith is insane. The inverse is true.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

slappybrown wrote:Leopard, calling Barney Flats an "adequate replacement" for Sam Smith is insane. The inverse is true.
haha, i actually would call it a tie right now. i haven't been drinking much so my requirements are a little off. i haven't tried drinking lots of it two nights in a row which is an important test which most beers fail other than newcastle or something light. but i was impressed with barney flats lasting power the one night i drank it heavily. i was able to stick with it until i was done drinking. with most stouts or other flavorful, heavy beers, i tend to crave light beers to finish off the night, generally due to hydration factors, but partly due to flavor which was where Flats flourished. sometimes even the best tasting beers can taste like garbage on my tongue after i've had 7 or 8.

i also enjoyed it as a one (or two) and done beer and a sipping beer a few times with success. but there's still plenty left in the case. the best test comes when i go to the distributor again and see if i find myself thinking it would be a good option again as i have with sam smith's oatmeal.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Tried a Pisgah Valdez from Black Mountain, NC tonight. It's a coffee stout that is great. The coffee flavor is there, but not too powerful, and it's incredibly smooth. One of the better stouts I've had in awhile.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

PensBeerGeek wrote:Smokin' Joes tweeted that Goose Island is Pittsburgh-bound.

While the shelves aren't going to be stocked with Bourbon County Stout day 1, still some nice beers to be had there.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen any Avery specialties yet?
the goose island news is exciting