The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Ned Braden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by Ned Braden »

Marshall Dylan wrote:
Bowser wrote:I really should be a talk show host for part-time job, my drive home, I wanted punch my fist through the window listening to 93.7 from 6-630pm... oh my god was it horrible.
Quit talking about it and do it. Call or e-mail Terry Foxx at The Fan and tell him you'd like to try out on a weekend show.
As long as "Bowser" isn't Chris Mack or Eddy Crow, Foxx may actually take his call! :P
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Bowser »

I don't think I could last long in Pittsburgh because I wouldn't have a 2 or 4 hour show on just Pittsburgh topics.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

I like miller by far the most, but I actually like Vinnie and cook (I seem to be in the minority)

Not a fan of anyone else, but the only one that I really can’t stand is Filiponi. He takes extreme negative points of view every time, and insults anyone who has a logical opinion... it gets old.

In general though i enjoy the fan (better than listening to most radio music / national sports talk)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by IanMoran »

I think the problem with the fan (or pittsburgh media in general) and the LGP community is the fact that no one can truly be an expert on every sport/ local team. Every guy has a solid background / understanding of usually 1 team and sadly it is almost never the pens / hockey (besides madden). I understand this so just accept it as a fact of life and can generally still enjoy sports talk… it would be nice if pittsburgh sports media had more guys like bob grove and steve mears., but sadly that is not the case
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Bowser wrote:I really should be a talk show host for part-time job, my drive home, I wanted punch my fist through the window listening to 93.7 from 6-630pm... oh my god was it horrible.
Was this during Filiponi's (sp?) show? I wanted to get home and talk about this. He really needs to learn how to run a show. All he does is ask one question and take calls on it for hours. Okay fine. BUt tonight he asked who is more equipped for a championship run, the Steelers or Penguins. And his ENTIRE schtick was, no matter what opinion a caller had, he stated facts for the other side and ridiculed them like they were wrong.

Someone would call in and say for example: "Well the Penguins have so and so, and play this style" and he would just shoot back "Um, okay, and the Steelers don't? Well thanks for trying" And the very next caller would vote for the Steelers, give their opinion, and he would go nuts like they were stupid for not thinking the Penguins were the right answer.

I embarrass myself for even still listening to this station, but when Madden's not on (and Yes, Madden is the best/most entertaining) I'd like to hear local stuff. I have XM and just the constant Baseball, NBA, Cam Newton, BCS talk, I just cannot take. So I have to try something. But this is just getting bad, real bad.
So it's OK if Madden is an ass to callers, but it sucks if someone else does it?
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Bowser »

Madden's schtick should have run dry years ago, especially since his portion of the caller segments are limited and terrible.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

its so unnerving to me how dismissive ron cook is to callers he disagrees with. i think it is a sign of pure ignorance.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I listened to Filliponi recently over the weekend, and this guy is a jagoff. He posed a question, and like someone else in this thread noted, no matter what the answer to the question was, he would talk about what a dumb position it was and argue about how that couldn't be right. And it wasn't even in the form of a discussion, he would listen to the answer, re-phrase it so that he could mould it as an extreme position, and then tell the call they were dumb. This was Friday:

AF: So tell me what concerns you most about the Steelers potential for making a Super Bowl run?
Caller: I think, if we can get past Balt, then I think the defensive game plan by Coach Lebeau would be something that we'd need to fix, because we'd likely be playing New England, and they seem to have our number with their passing game.
AF: So you think that Coach Lebeau is the reason the Steelers wont win the Super Bowl?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!? HES A HALL OF FAMER, THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS, AND YOU THINK HES THE REASON THEY WONT MAKE THE SUPER BOWL?

What a dillweed.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

lol.

filliponi and mueller were on before the bears game yesterday i thought they did pretty well together. it did show the filliponi doesnt really know much about the technical aspects of sports, which could be why he uses playing devils advocate as a crutch. mueller would ask him for insight regarding matchups and AF would respond with i think this will happen because i just feel it. its a hunch
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:lol.

filliponi and mueller were on before the bears game yesterday i thought they did pretty well together. it did show the filliponi doesnt really know much about the technical aspects of sports, which could be why he uses playing devils advocate as a crutch. mueller would ask him for insight regarding matchups and AF would respond with i think this will happen because i just feel it. its a hunch
Filiponi doing the pitt hoops post games show make me want to cry. His 4 revolving topics

a.) Is Dantae Taylor a bust
b.) Does pitt h ave a go to guy?
c.) Is pitt's non conference schedule to easy?
d.) Will pitt make the final four.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

yes yes no maybe
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

Filiponi doing the pitt hoops post games show make me want to cry. His 4 revolving topics

a.) Is Dantae Taylor a bust
b.) Does pitt h ave a go to guy?
c.) Is pitt's non conference schedule to easy?
d.) Will pitt make the final four.
That entire station makes me want to cry. Cook was going on and on today about how respectful Hines Ward is. Saturday morning the one guy (Moller? It was like at 7 am) kept asking about Sid. I would have passed out in about five minutes if I took a shot everytime he said "Bylsma said about a week for Sid concussion. Well it's been about a week, so did he mean about a month. I'm not knocking Bylsma here, but will it be more than about a week for Sid, since it's been more than about a week." and repeat.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I dont even mind if you express counterpoints to most callers as a means to generate discussion, but you need to do it somewhat judiciously and in a personable way, otherwise it just comes off as you intentionally yelling at people for 3 hours with no actual agenda or belief beyond "I AM DISAGREE". Even Madden doesnt do that and his schtick is built at least in part on insulting people. I dont listen to him too often, but he at least used to openly agree with callers if they made a point he agreed with.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Saludos! Y bienvenido a la máquina!
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

The DVE steeler fight songs suck.

Randy sucks at singing, and isn't funny.

Also that "drink up yinz lady dogs" song is terrible.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Uh oh. Filliponi is setting up one of his classic "Why does X happen?" only for every answer to be summarily dismissed. The current question is "What makes the Steelers so consistently successful relative to other NFL franchises?"
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

slappybrown wrote:Uh oh. Filliponi is setting up one of his classic "Why does X happen?" only for every answer to be summarily dismissed. The current question is "What makes the Steelers so consistently successful relative to other NFL franchises?"

I heard him introduce the topic. its an interesting idea, i would say that they have a consistent, effective defensive identity/scheme. they know the kind of players that they need and how to coach players to excel in their role within the scheme. ie cornerbacks that can tackle and defensive lineman that can occupy gaps. The defense allows them to be consistent, the roethlisberger lead offense has pushed them over the top...imo
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

1250 is still on the memorized on the car's radio dial, so every once in a a while kenny the kangaroo gets to hear some radio disney or hanna montana or other awesome things
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

lol
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

I hate Vinnie so much. All this guy ever does is take bland talking points and apply them to the local sports figures.

Dear Fan,

Get rid of that fat piece of ****. I hate the idea of having to listen to disgusting schlub...let alone a disgusting schlub that brings absolutely nothing to the table.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by PensBeerGeek »

I try to avoid being up for 6-10 AM, but as I drew the short straw I have to drive from Washington to Morgantown for 9:30 class on Monday and Wednesday. All in all, I could say that I've heard worse as far as the Fan Morning Show. I've always liked Gianotti, and Colony isn't as horrible as I anticipated. Paul Alexander does have a bit of a know-it-all streak, but if he doesn't annoy a not-at-all-morning-person like myself, than it's certainly tolerable.

Tonight though, I'm done at 7:30-ish. If there was a Pens game on tonight, I'd be listening to a CD and trying to avoid spoilers while I rush home to watch the game on DVR. But instead it's Filiponi, the "personality" on the station that I absolutely loathe the most. I mean, is it really all that hard to play the snarky contrarian? At least with Madden, if you bring a decent point then he'll give you some interesting insight, and his dismissiveness on moronic phone calls is somewhat amusing; Filiponi brings neither.

Any way beyond the typical "slacktivism" to get Mueller moved up to 6-10 and Filiponi busted to cleaning toilets?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Gianotti I hated at first, but actually like him much more now.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

I am listening to Cook/Vinny for more than 5 minutes for the first time. Holy christ.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

slappybrown wrote:I am listening to Cook/Vinny for more than 5 minutes for the first time. Holy christ.

earlier today they had some dual broadcast with a couple guys from NY. It was painful because the NY guys were asking some questions about Steelers and their fans....old idiotic Vinnie kept fielding the questions, which was unneverving because he knows but stupid moronic talking points....the way cook rails into Vinnie everyday makes me like cook more than i probably should.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pipes Hochuli »

Spoiler: