WTAE TV should be ashamed...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

WTAE TV should be ashamed...

Post by kovyman1127 »

Watched WTAE-TV (channel 4) last night...here is a repeat of their sports coverage:

1st story: Jeff Hardings retirement (can't let a Steeler story slip by WTAE without it being #1)

2nd story: Starting with the 3rd period, Pens highlights FOR ABOUT 40 seconds

3rd story (and longest) - 2 minute interview with Jamie Dixon.
Peter

Post by Peter »

what's wrong with that?
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by kovyman1127 »

40 seconds of Pens.......30 seconds of Steelers (top story BTW).....3 minutes on Pitt Basketball.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I understood your first post. What's wrong with it?
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by kovyman1127 »

its a rhetorical statement........nevermind....
Last edited by kovyman1127 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SportsFan

Post by SportsFan »

They have a semi timed News Coverage for the morning. Just cause you don't get 2 hours pf Pens coverage, dont be upset.

Like I said, I don't want them just to report something just to have a report.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by kovyman1127 »

so 3 minutes of Pitt Basketball? When you have the Pens in an exciting game pushing for the playoffs?

Jeff Hardings retirement over that? 3 minutes of Jamie Dixon over that?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Oh, now I see what you are saying. You like hockey so you think hockey should get the most time. The rest of the city does not agree with you. Sorry man.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

THe rest of the city is wrong darn it!

Actually, I do not really care wat 2, 4 and 11 do with their reports. What I want is 15-30 minutes of hockey0only coverage right after the actual game itself. Not quite a HNIC, but something like what Buffalo does. After Buffalo games they do not just give the highlights and then move on to other local teams/sports... they talk hockey, period. They talk about the Sabres and they talk about other teams.

Hockey fans are watching the hockey game. While they might be interested in other sports, they are currently watching a hockey game. It would be great to connect a decent bit of hockey discussion to the hockey game for the hockey fans that are actually watching at that time.

When I just saw the Pens win or loose a game... I care a heck of a lot more about what the Lightning (insert other team name) did today than what Steeler news happened or some college sport or any of that jazz.

Yes, I understand that people watching the hockey game do care about other sports... but you do not watch a cooking show for stock tips...
SportsFan

Post by SportsFan »

Yeah Jim, if the team stays, then next year you may get this. The think though is Buffalo really has what to talk about?

The Bills?

Buffalo University Sports?

Bisons?

With Pitt being a top 10 team, The Steelers getting a new staff, and Pirates starting things our right in regards to tickets sales, its tough.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I understand that Buffalo is not exactly sports central... but we are talking about 30 minutes (or so) directly connected to the end of the hockey game. I am not talking about giving hockey 10 minutes in ever new broadcast.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I agree that this is doesn't bother me at all. As a fan of all three sports, they need to cover them. The Pens still have 32 games to go and the season is barely half way over. Are they supposed to devote the most of the sports when the Pens still have a while to go?

Pitt is in the mist of a 20-3 season and ranked #7. They had a special on Dixon. Who cares. I enjoy watching that.

The regular news is giving a lot more arena coverage so the Pens are hitting it up twice (during the regular news and during sports).

Just because we all love the Pens, there are plenty of other fans out there that enjoy the other cities sports (and I"m one of them.)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Come on, it's ridiculous the level of coverage that the Steelers end up with in Pittsburgh. During the 6 years I lived there, I honestly got sick of it. I'm a big Steelers fan, but it gets to the point of absurdity with the stories about "Jeff Hartings retirement" or "What is Dermontti Dawson doing these days" in the middle of March.

I agree that this is the market and that is apparently what their base wants, but as sports reporters, are you telling me that a story about a game PLAYED THAT NIGHT isn't more compelling than that nonsense?

I really think that this is the reason that Penguin fans are so often maligned as "resentful" and "jealous". Quite frankly, we like a nice story about our team every once in a while, and we like it to be uninterrupted by bits about Walter Abercrombie's new part time job.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by netwolf »

I think the level of attention given to the Pens game in that particular sportscast was beyond crap, but that said, I don't really care enough to get upset about it because I don't watch WTAE all that much and there are plenty of other (and better) sources to get my coverage from.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

netwolf wrote:I think the level of attention given to the Pens game in that particular sportscast was beyond crap, but that said, I don't really care enough to get upset about it because I don't watch WTAE all that much and there are plenty of other (and better) sources to get my coverage from.
Indeed.

Their website is pretty funny, though- a link for the Steelers, and then "sports".
imau2fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by imau2fan »

In general in the local media, the obsession with the Steelers is out of bounds sometimes. Case in point:

http://kdka.com/sports/local_story_031153023.html

BREAKING NEWS -- Troy Polamalu is .........*drum roll please*.......... still Troy Polamalu! Film at 11.

Now that the Steelers' coaching situation is settled, I guess they're desperate for new stories. The draft can't come soon enough for them.
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by heshootsandscores »

Guinness wrote:
netwolf wrote:I think the level of attention given to the Pens game in that particular sportscast was beyond crap, but that said, I don't really care enough to get upset about it because I don't watch WTAE all that much and there are plenty of other (and better) sources to get my coverage from.
Indeed.

Their website is pretty funny, though- a link for the Steelers, and then "sports".

I have dish network, and i miss KDKA for the coverage...WTAE is worthless for Penguin coverage.

We get neither channel... :(
I rely on Lets go pens.com!
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

heshootsandscores wrote: I rely on Lets go pens.com!
Me too... that and post-game coverage on FSN.

Mostly I let the gang here do the digging... I read the links they post... saves me time! :wink:
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: WTAE TV should be ashamed...

Post by Steve »

kovyman1127 wrote:Watched WTAE-TV (channel 4) last night...here is a repeat of their sports coverage:

1st story: Jeff Hardings retirement (can't let a Steeler story slip by WTAE without it being #1)

That's ridiculous. It was reported that Big Ben switched from whole milk to 2%, and they didn't even mention it????
eastonpensfan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by eastonpensfan »

Steve wrote:
kovyman1127 wrote:Watched WTAE-TV (channel 4) last night...here is a repeat of their sports coverage:

That's ridiculous. It was reported that Big Ben switched from whole milk to 2%, and they didn't even mention it????
Is that because he thinks he's fat? Because he's not. He could drink whole milk if he wanted.

Woohoo! The obligatory Napoleon Dynamite quote for the day!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

eastonpensfan wrote:
Steve wrote:

Is that because he thinks he's fat? Because he's not. He could drink whole milk if he wanted.

Woohoo! The obligatory Napoleon Dynamite quote for the day!
Nice - make sure I get credit for the assist. :)
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by kovyman1127 »

Yeah....WTAE is well known for pushing Steeler coverage beyond permisable bounds......
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

Watch FSN and Danny Potash will drool all over your favorite Pens.
SportsFan

Post by SportsFan »

Guinness wrote:Come on, it's ridiculous the level of coverage that the Steelers end up with in Pittsburgh. During the 6 years I lived there, I honestly got sick of it. I'm a big Steelers fan, but it gets to the point of absurdity with the stories about "Jeff Hartings retirement" or "What is Dermontti Dawson doing these days" in the middle of March.
Take the winning % of the Penguins, Pirates, and Steelers and you will see why the Steelers get the press they do, also had there is like a billion year wait to get tickets.

Honestly, Steelers stay healthy next year, they will make another run for six.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

SportsFan wrote: Take the winning % of the Penguins, Pirates, and Steelers and you will see why the Steelers get the press they do, also had there is like a billion year wait to get tickets.

Honestly, Steelers stay healthy next year, they will make another run for six.
I hope they do. As I said, I'm a Steelers fan, too.

Are you suggesting that the news outlets in Pittsburgh can't spare 3 minutes to dedicate to the Penguins?