The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by Troy Loney »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:paul alexander is talking with the excitement of ben stein today. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

except that paul alexander, to me, is leading the media's demand that Pitt hire Tom Bradley....and its made me sour completely on bradley.

So he's talking with passion regarding the Pitt Coaching search.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Troy Loney wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:paul alexander is talking with the excitement of ben stein today. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

except that paul alexander, to me, is leading the media's demand that Pitt hire Tom Bradley....and its made me sour completely on bradley.

Every time I put the station on, it just feels like I'm sitting in an interview with Paul Alexander describing all the best qualities about Bradley.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Paul also seems to really loathe SP, which makes for at least some interesting and more lively radio.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Troy Loney wrote:

Lots of non-pitt media people, who really dont care about the program, are really screaming their heads off about bradley, and its because they are bros with tom bradley. alexander is one of those people, but there are plenty of people who are ripping pitt for not hiring bradley and have no basis beyond the idea that bradley is a guy with lots of friends.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Vinnie wrote:Yeah that Sidney Crosby reminds of a time in 1972 when in the 52nd game of the Cleveland Indians season a guy hit a ground ball and got out.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

lol someone just called out ron cook for not voting for robby alomar for the spitting incident. cook seems like a very smug man
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:lol someone just called out ron cook for not voting for robby alomar for the spitting incident. cook seems like a very smug man

yeah...vinnie has been giving him some slack about it too. Its pretty funny, cook is on the air telling people his opinion about what a hall of famer is and isnt, and its embarrsing that this guy is one of the people electing players into the hall of fame.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Did John Burton get released? I haven't heard him doing updates lately.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

he does late night stuff i think
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Nuge »

viva la ben wrote:Did John Burton get released? I haven't heard him doing updates lately.
It seems like Starkey does a lot of steeler interviews too. I wouldve thought Burton would do all of them being he was the steeler insider or whatever they called him when he got the boot from the morning show.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

FYI Dupuis in studio with Starkey coming up. Joe just said the first two hours of the machine will be hockeytahlk
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

viva la ben wrote:FYI Dupuis in studio with Starkey coming up. Joe just said the first two hours of the machine will be hockeytahlk

whats this about whether or not the pens should have shook the caps' hands after the winter classic.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

Look for Pascal Dupuis' Dijon mustard and salsa coming to a Gian Iggle near you!
Ned Braden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Ned Braden »

viva la ben wrote:Look for Pascal Dupuis' Dijon mustard and salsa coming to a Gian Iggle near you!
He should send some to Boudreau so Boudreau can leave some on the corner of his mouth!
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Bowser »

I really should be a talk show host for part-time job, my drive home, I wanted punch my fist through the window listening to 93.7 from 6-630pm... oh my god was it horrible.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Bowser wrote:I really should be a talk show host for part-time job, my drive home, I wanted punch my fist through the window listening to 93.7 from 6-630pm... oh my god was it horrible.
shanks fer toonen in tah ninety tree sheven da fan
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by pensfan1989 »

Pavel Bure wrote:
Bowser wrote:I really should be a talk show host for part-time job, my drive home, I wanted punch my fist through the window listening to 93.7 from 6-630pm... oh my god was it horrible.
shanks fer toonen in tah ninety tree sheven da fan
YOU HAVE LEFT THE MACHINE
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

Quit talking about it and do it. Call or e-mail Terry Foxx at The Fan and tell him you'd like to try out on a weekend show.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

The Machine bit is painfully unfunny.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Was this during Filiponi's (sp?) show? I wanted to get home and talk about this. He really needs to learn how to run a show. All he does is ask one question and take calls on it for hours. Okay fine. BUt tonight he asked who is more equipped for a championship run, the Steelers or Penguins. And his ENTIRE schtick was, no matter what opinion a caller had, he stated facts for the other side and ridiculed them like they were wrong.

Someone would call in and say for example: "Well the Penguins have so and so, and play this style" and he would just shoot back "Um, okay, and the Steelers don't? Well thanks for trying" And the very next caller would vote for the Steelers, give their opinion, and he would go nuts like they were stupid for not thinking the Penguins were the right answer.

I embarrass myself for even still listening to this station, but when Madden's not on (and Yes, Madden is the best/most entertaining) I'd like to hear local stuff. I have XM and just the constant Baseball, NBA, Cam Newton, BCS talk, I just cannot take. So I have to try something. But this is just getting bad, real bad.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:lol someone just called out ron cook for not voting for robby alomar for the spitting incident. cook seems like a very smug man
For as much as Cook complained about it, you would have thought Alomar spit on him.

His comments about Blyleven weren't much better. I think there's something much deeper than Blyleven allegedly walking out on the team.
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by tonysoprano »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Was this during Filiponi's (sp?) show? I wanted to get home and talk about this. He really needs to learn how to run a show. All he does is ask one question and take calls on it for hours. Okay fine. BUt tonight he asked who is more equipped for a championship run, the Steelers or Penguins. And his ENTIRE schtick was, no matter what opinion a caller had, he stated facts for the other side and ridiculed them like they were wrong.

Someone would call in and say for example: "Well the Penguins have so and so, and play this style" and he would just shoot back "Um, okay, and the Steelers don't? Well thanks for trying" And the very next caller would vote for the Steelers, give their opinion, and he would go nuts like they were stupid for not thinking the Penguins were the right answer.

I embarrass myself for even still listening to this station, but when Madden's not on (and Yes, Madden is the best/most entertaining) I'd like to hear local stuff. I have XM and just the constant Baseball, NBA, Cam Newton, BCS talk, I just cannot take. So I have to try something. But this is just getting bad, real bad.
More equipped? The Steelers are clearly more likely to win a championship, if for no other reason, the NFL playoffs are just easier to navigate. Three wins?
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Bowser »

Yes, it was during Andrew Filiponi's show that he asked the question and exactly as described above, he would ridicule the callers point of being absurd.

Seriously, dumbest talk show topic I've heard in awhile.

It is one thing to talk about x team (New England) in the NFL is better equipped than the Steelers or x team (Vancouver) in the NHL is better than the Pens but to compare two local teams in two vastly different sports and length of regular season and playoffs is just stupid.

And to drive ratings (the main job for radio hosts) in Pittsburgh, it is proven that listeners and callers are more likely to respond shock-jock or absurd points of views than what makes sense.

Sad thing is, all Andrew did was say "well, like blah blah blah" to me and after 10 minutes, I had to turn it off and listen to 970 AM as Prisuta and Bendel were singing the theme song to 'All in the Family'.
[youtube][/youtube]
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Bowser wrote:Prisuta and Bendel were singing the theme song to 'All in the Family'.
Dear God, no. :scared: :scared: :scared:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Bowser wrote:Yes, it was during Andrew Filiponi's show that he asked the question and exactly as described above, he would ridicule the callers point of being absurd.

Seriously, dumbest talk show topic I've heard in awhile.

It is one thing to talk about x team (New England) in the NFL is better equipped than the Steelers or x team (Vancouver) in the NHL is better than the Pens but to compare two local teams in two vastly different sports and length of regular season and playoffs is just stupid.

And to drive ratings (the main job for radio hosts) in Pittsburgh, it is proven that listeners and callers are more likely to respond shock-jock or absurd points of views than what makes sense.

Sad thing is, all Andrew did was say "well, like blah blah blah" to me and after 10 minutes, I had to turn it off and listen to 970 AM as Prisuta and Bendel were singing the theme song to 'All in the Family'.
[youtube][/youtube]
He might be more irritating than Vinnie. Driving to Pittsburgh on NYE I was listening to him go on and on and on about how the Winter Classic was already a disaster. He was taking calls asking if people were threw with the NHL and how they handeled the WC moving it to night. I tried so hard to get in to him just to inform him if there were no weather concerns, the NHL never would have changed the time. Then he was reading their backup plans for calling the game, or possibly having the game called before a shootout etc. He kept whining saying "this is an absolute joke and blah blah" Not paying a bit of mind to the fact that it was a worst-case scenerio backup plan and basically talking about it like the NHL was dead set on purposely delaying the game right before a shootout and having it played out before the Feb 6 game.

It was just so ridiculous. And like we said before, his format last night was: 1. Someone calls in and gives opinions on why the Steelers are better set to make a championship run - He then rips them and states Penguin facts and basically calls them wrong. and 2. Someone gives their opinions on why the Pens are better set for a run- He then rips them and states Steeler facts and basically calls them wrong