GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by LeopardLetang »

BadHands71 wrote:
Shyster wrote:I haven't been there in a while and can't specifically recall at the moment, but I want to say the prices are right in that neighborhood. I do remember there are several price tiers (I think three) for the stuff in the coolers. Still, it's worth it if you can avoid buying an entire case of something you end up disliking (stupid PA laws).
That is the MOST irritating thing about buying beer in PA. I love having a place like Barley's and Hops near me that I can try something and mix and match a six pack. I'm not one to buy something unless I like it and actually want to drink a whole case. And I'm not spending 20 bucks on something that I may or may not like.
in altoona there's a bar to two that have a huge selection and you can mix and match a 6 pack...but it gets pricey. it's how i found the sam smith oatmeal stout -- of which i'm now a proud owner of 24!
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

Brava or Canadian
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Mango Salsa »

Pretty good stuff. Sweet logo, too

ImageImage
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by JoseCuervo »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:my mom got a big 750 ml bottle of framboise. i like to put a little in with guiness but 750 ml's is alot. do you think if i put one of those vacuum wine stoppers on it it woudl stay fresh
It might lose some carbonation, but honestly the framboise would probably taste fine. It's not like it's really beer anyway :lol:
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Ben Klingston »

Shyster wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:I've been on a kick with "holy moses white ale" from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
I'll have to try that. I love Belgian Wits, but for most of the ones I've tried the brewers seem to go overboard on the coriander, which gives the beer somewhat of a "cooked celery" taste. My favorites are the original Hoegaarden and Celis White, which is made in the USA from Pierre Celis’ original Hoegaarden recipe (Pierre Celis was the founder of Hoegaarden and the man who single-handedly revived the then-dead Belgian Wit style).
I finished off a case of Sam's Summer Ale (meh) and randomly picked another 'summer beer' from SavMor on Brown's Hill Rd: Long Trail Belgian White. I'm not usually big on citrus-y beers, but I really really like this stuff. So much so that I bought the only other case they had on Friday.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Been digging this lately:

Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

I tried this last night:

Then saw on last night's True Blood episode that they have it on tap at Merlotte's.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

crayz wrote:my typical drinks...

half acre daisy cutter (local pale ale from chicago brewery......amazing)
cantillon classic gueuze
lindman cuvee renee
goose island ipa
three floyds gumball head
new belgium la folie/eric's ale

cant go wrong with ANY of those.
im jealous that you can get goose island whenever you want.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

May have been mentioned in this thread already, but the Giant Eagle in Robinson has a beer store in it with 400 beers to choose from. It is amazing, went for the first time a week ago.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

slappybrown wrote:May have been mentioned in this thread already, but the Giant Eagle in Robinson has a beer store in it with 400 beers to choose from. It is amazing, went for the first time a week ago.
:thumb: Its awesome. Closest thing to Wegmans yet for the burgh.

Now they need a new GE like that one in the North Hills!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

slappybrown wrote:Been digging this lately:
good stuff!
Kraftster wrote:I tried this last night:

Then saw on last night's True Blood episode that they have it on tap at Merlotte's.
I saw that too, how is it?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

eddysnake wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I tried this last night:

I saw that too, how is it?
I guess it doesn't help to say I tried it without rating it. I thought it was very good actually. A lot of maltiness for an ale and nice touch of hops too. I would buy it if I ever saw it around here.

Its similar to this Image in terms of malt/hops flavor ration, but, I liked the Turbodog better, its a little bit fuller and has a bit more alcohol burn.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

I bought a Dundee sampler this weekend. They have an IPA, Stout, Kolsch Style Ale, and Pale Bock Lager. I hate the bitterness of IPA's, so not a fan here either. I don't like heavier beers, but the stout was pretty good. The lager was good also. I particularly liked the Kolsch Style Ale. It had a bit of a butterscotch finish.

I don't know much at all about beers other than the major domestics (which means little to nothing), but I thought that this was a pretty good sampler. It was also about $23, so it wasn't too much of an investment.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

friend of mine got me a bottle of Westvleteren 12 for Christmas. Very bubbly, smoky, kinda carmel-like, and had the taste of a quad.

Definitely worth trying if you can get your hands on it, but the price is rather steep.
Senka
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Senka »

Purple Haze. yum
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Senka wrote:Purple Haze. yum
Had some of that at a beer fest a few years back. I remember liking it, but not much else. :lol:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by thepittman »

I want one of these

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/835859-wor ... al-bottles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by ffemtreed »

Dogfish 90 min IPA!!!! First time I had it tonight and its awesome. Plus the Pens kicked some Coyote Arse. I gonna have to quit being cheap and buy the 90 IPA instead of my regular 60 min IPA.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

If anyone spots any Magic Hat Howl anywhere, please post. Not that I've looked for it in the past couple weeks, but I'll be too busy to hunt too hard for it.
Spum
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Spum »

ffemtreed wrote:Dogfish 90 min IPA!!!! First time I had it tonight and its awesome. Plus the Pens kicked some Coyote Arse. I gonna have to quit being cheap and buy the 90 IPA instead of my regular 60 min IPA.
90 Minute >>>>>> 60 Minute, not even close
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by thepittman »

Spum wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:Dogfish 90 min IPA!!!! First time I had it tonight and its awesome. Plus the Pens kicked some Coyote Arse. I gonna have to quit being cheap and buy the 90 IPA instead of my regular 60 min IPA.
90 Minute >>>>>> 60 Minute, not even close

If you like 90 you will love dogfish squall. Find it before it's gone!

Also 120 ipa is amazing.

relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

Hacker-Pschorr's dark hefeweizen. Not bad. Not Franziskaner's dark, but not bad.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Any had Duck-Rabbit stuff before? There is a Duck-Rabbit sampler (Amber, Brown, Porter, and Milk Stout) at the local dist that I was considering picking up.

Also had a case of this Samichlaus double bock for $120, which has amazing reviews, but, that's pricey.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by thepittman »

Kraftster wrote:Any had Duck-Rabbit stuff before? There is a Duck-Rabbit sampler (Amber, Brown, Porter, and Milk Stout) at the local dist that I was considering picking up.

Also had a case of this Samichlaus double bock for $120, which has amazing reviews, but, that's pricey.
I love duck-rabbit. I met the master brewer before good people.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I picked up Guinness Foreign Extra Stout and will be trying tonight. Have heard it's good, but haven't tried it before. Apparently it just recently became available in the US.