The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by stopper40 »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Psychlone wrote:Anyone hear Keith Jones this morning? I missed it and would appreciate a recap.
Basically he isnt totally sold on the Pens blueline but agrees that it was probably time for Gonchar to go

After that did he pick the Flyers to go undefeated this season and sweep everyone on the way to winning the cup?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sam's Drunk Dog »

I can't stand Keith Jones. IMO he comes off as pompous. I believe one of the big reasons he is a studio analysis for Versus is because Versus is owned by the same company that owns the Flyers.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I can't stand Keith Jones. IMO he comes off as pompous. I believe one of the big reasons he is a studio analysis for Versus is because Versus is owned by the same company that owns the Flyers.
I like him; seems to have good opinions. He's a billion times better than John Stevens, who I hope is not returning to VS.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

Kenny the kangaroo, while living in philly, saw a lot of jones, has no beef with keif kones. Generally speaking, the man keep its real, and is not too much of a homer. He seems to be a bit critical of finesse (sp?) type players
EagleMorph
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by EagleMorph »

Two former 1250 on-air folks have found new gigs. The easy one was Ed Bouchette. He had a contract with 1250 to provide them with exclusive info as their Steelers guru (complementing their own Ken Laird) while he worked for the PG. Now Bouchette's hooked up with the Fan.

Chris Mack, meanwhile, will be hosting Penguins post-game shows and doing some work for Fox Sports 970. Doesn't look like it's fulltime, but it's something.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ned Braden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Ned Braden »

Those are non-specific 12-and-older numbers both men and women ... if you go Men 25-54, The Fan is doing much better - and climbing - especially in AM Drive.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Ned Braden wrote:Those are non-specific 12-and-older numbers both men and women ... if you go Men 25-54, The Fan is doing much better - and climbing - especially in AM Drive.
that doesnt make sense, because the am drive sucks.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Ned Braden wrote:Those are non-specific 12-and-older numbers both men and women ... if you go Men 25-54, The Fan is doing much better - and climbing - especially in AM Drive.
People seem to like sucks in the morning. Look at Jim Krenn.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

Marshall Dylan wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

At one time (15+ or more years ago) Krenn was funny, him and Paulsen were brilliant (imo). However now he's just the same joke over and over and over and over and over..........................................................
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Psychlone »

It's getting really hard for me to continue to listen to the morning show, there is no other way to describe it except to call it bad radio. I've always liked Jim Colony, I could stomach a show with Colony and JB if they brought him back.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

I find myself not listening to sports radio pretty much at all since the demise of 1250.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

Are you kidding me? Vinnie watched the baseball playoffs over the Penguins' game Saturday night, and we're supposed to take his opinions with credibility?
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

stopper40 wrote:
Marshall Dylan wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote: that doesnt make sense, because the am drive sucks.

At one time (15+ or more years ago) Krenn was funny, him and Paulsen were brilliant (imo). However now he's just the same joke over and over and over and over and over..........................................................
I agree.... Paulsen and Krenn were like the perfect storm. They suck without each other. They were together the whole time I was in college, then I moved back here in 1999 and they were together like the first year, IIRC. They were hilarious. I have a bunch of their CDs from back in the '90s.

Not like DVEs ratings are hurting but they would be even better if those guys got back together.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

Member wrote:Are you kidding me? Vinnie watched the baseball playoffs over the Penguins' game Saturday night, and we're supposed to take his opinions with credibility?
You're up here on niney tree sheven da fan. Next caller, you're up here on niney tree sheven da fan. Next caller is Joe, he's up here on ninney tree sheven da fan. No? Well lets go to Steve, Steve youre up here on niney tree sheven da fan. I stopped listening weeks ago because if I heard Vinny use that phrase one more time i was going to drive my car into an oncomming lane. Its one of those things that once you notice it, you can't hear anything else. Thats ALL he says when talking calls over and over and over.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Member wrote:Are you kidding me? Vinnie watched the baseball playoffs over the Penguins' game Saturday night, and we're supposed to take his opinions with credibility?
You're up here on niney tree sheven da fan. Next caller, you're up here on niney tree sheven da fan. Next caller is Joe, he's up here on ninney tree sheven da fan. No? Well lets go to Steve, Steve youre up here on niney tree sheven da fan. I stopped listening weeks ago because if I heard Vinny use that phrase one more time i was going to drive my car into an oncomming lane. Its one of those things that once you notice it, you can't hear anything else. Thats ALL he says when talking calls over and over and over.
Yeah, well, greetings and welcome to the machine.

Greetings and welcome to the machine.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

what is wrong with watching the baseball playoffs?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
NOBODY IN PITTSBURGH CAN LIKE BASEBALL UNTIL THE PIRATES MAKE IT
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Nothing, if your job is to watch and analyze Pittsburgh sports, I think that's what you should do. Maybe if he's been in town longer than 8 months I wouldn't have as big of a problem with it.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

PghSkins wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:
Yeah, well, greetings and welcome to the machine.

HA. Touche'. Like i said its a petty thing to hate a guy for, but one it hits you, you can't get away from it. I listen to Chris Russo alot too, and every single call is this "Heres Dave, he's aboard on MadDog Unleashed. Dave whats going on today whatdya have pal?" I realize these guys get into a routine, but it is crazy annoying. Also, I finally heard one of the parody songs on The Fan morning show. Wow. Apparently someone there thought it was funny, and someone else agreed. Thats shoudl tell you the kind of people running that station.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Member wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
Nothing, if your job is to watch and analyze Pittsburgh sports, I think that's what you should do. Maybe if he's been in town longer than 8 months I wouldn't have as big of a problem with it.
I didn't see the game, but when you're dealing with callers you can pretty much guess what happened.

FLUERY SUCKS - Pens lost the game.

Defense sucks - Pens lost the game.

Malkin/Crosby awesome - Pens win.

Random person needs signed to 200 year contract - they won.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

Completely agree on Krenn. The stuff he did with Paulsen in the mid-1990s was absolutely hysterical and had an edge to it. Krenn really seems to have lost that edge after Paulsen left. It seemed like he never really adjusted to being the only guy carrying the show, and that continued after they brought Baumann on board. He sounds almost forced at times.

Baumann is basically the same way he was when he was on Rocket 101 in Erie...he hasn't changed at all. If anything, he's gotten better because this audience seems much more receptive to his brand of humor. That said, I can't say I listen much to DVE any more. Listening to Krenn try and talk sports was awful.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

DudeMan2766 wrote:
This is absolutely hysterical and if I ever listen to that show again, this is going to be the only thing I hear.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Stoosh »

Psychlone wrote:It's getting really hard for me to continue to listen to the morning show, there is no other way to describe it except to call it bad radio. I've always liked Jim Colony, I could stomach a show with Colony and JB if they brought him back.
There's something about the mixture of Gianotti and Alexander that just doesn't work.

Alexander has developed this tendency to interject cute little jokes or puns right smack in the middle of a good debate on a topic, and it just brings the whole thing to a screeching halt. You can almost hear Colony getting annoyed with it.

Gianotti is OK, but it seems like he doesn't seem to care to engage the callers in much discussion, unless it's another chance to pick on Lily (speaking of bringing a program to a screeching halt).
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

I really liked Gianotti alone at night. When they reshuffled everything, they got rid of the wrong guy in the mornings.