***** 1984 Post Game Thread *****

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

***** 1984 Post Game Thread *****

Post by slappybrown »

These were the roles for The Party:

The five of you are the members of the Inner Party, along with your Leader, Big Brother. Below is a description of your abilities.

Ministry of Plenty: Relantel is the head of the Ministry of Plenty. The Ministry of Plenty is in charge of controlling rations, supplies, and of course, votes. To that end, you may twice during this game exercise your powers and confer either (1) double voter status on any person or (2) no voter status on any person. You must PM me at night and select the person. If you pick option (1), their vote will, naturally, count twice for whoever they vote for. No voter means that their vote will not be counted. YOU MAY NOT SELECT A KNOWN MEMBER OF THE PARTY FOR DOUBLE OR NO VOTER STATUS.

Ministry of Truth: Zarovich is the leader of the Ministry of Truth. As Minister of Truth, you are in charge of manufacturing the news and history of Oceania. To aid you in this task, you may twice during the game pick a voter at random during a night period, and select his target. For example, you would PM me and state slappybrown must vote for dagny at night. No matter who slappybrown votes for the following day period, slappybrown's vote will be counted for dagny. YOU MAY NOT SELECT A KNOWN MEMBER OF THE PARTY FOR CHANGED VOTE STATUS.

Thought Police: Azkar is the Chief of the Thought Police, charged with learning the innermost thoughts of the citizens of Oceania. To that end, he may elect to listen in on 3 non-Party PMs through the course of the game (one per night). The PMs will be selected at random by the mod. Yes, this does mean that there are other persons outside of the Party with PM capability.

O'Brien: Malkamaniac is O'Brien, and is the Chief Investigator for The Party. He may investigate a person 4 times throughout the game at night. Because O'Brien is proficient at undercover operations, if he is investigated during any of the first 3 nights of the game, he will be revealed as a regular prole (villager).

Big Brother: The Leader of the Party is Troy Loney. Troy is charged with sending in the kill each evening for the Party.

Finally, due to Oceania's ongoing war with Eurasia and resulting damage to infrastructure, the Ministry of Love has been unable to communicate with the Inner Party. The Ministry of Love is, of course, responsible for the murder of those who violate the Party's rules. If you do locate the Minister of Love, he will be able to freely PM with each of you and share his powers in an effort to destroy the Brotherhood once and for all. Good luck.

C2I was a baddie also, but with a twist:

You are a member of the Inner Party of Oceania, and the Chief Minister of the Ministry of Love. However, due to Oceania's ongoing war with Eurasia, and the resulting damage to communication centers and infrastructure, you have been unable to contact your fellow Party members for a few days. While your fellow Party members are attempting to find you, you may not PM with them or know their identity. In the event they do locate you, they will be able to PM freely with you.

Nonetheless, as the head of the Ministry of Love, you are charged with the murder of those commit Thoughtcrime and other violations of Party rules. To this end, you have the ability to kill at night once during the course of the game. If the other Party members do locate you, you may be given an additional kill depending on the current status of military supplies.

And the Green RPs:

The two of you are our hero and heroine, Winston Smith (MWB) and Julia (TWC).

Your dreary daily existence has provided you with little reason to live. The overwhelming presence of The Party and its Leader, Big Brother, have nearly crushed your will to live. Despite this, you continue to have a small kernel of hope, and a belief that one day, things may be better. Winston has recently met and have fallen in love with Julia, a dark haired beauty that shares the same feelings.

Together, you hope to join the Brotherhood, led by Emmanuel Goldstein, and overthrow Big Brother and the Party once and for all.

Your powers include:

You may PM each other freely throughout the game.

Winston, through his position with the Ministry of Truth, may investigate other persons throughout the game under cover of darkness.

Julia may protect persons throughout the game from night kills (no consecutive protects).

In addition, your goal is to find Emmanuel Goldstein, the Leader of the Resistance. If you do locate Mr. Goldstein, the three of you may PM freely. Mr. Goldstein has other powers that will be used for good, and is fighting to overthrow Big Brother as well. (HE IS NOT RED, AND CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO RED). Mr. Goldstein may or may not have his own followers if you do locate and join up with him.

Goldsteins- Kraftster:

You are Emmanuel Goldstein, the leader of the Brotherhood. You are intent on overthrowing The Party and its leader, Big Brother. You are the proles only hope for true freedom.

To this end you have drafted The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism which sets forth your belief system. It embodies everything The Party opposes, and anyone that is found with the book on their person is immediately sentenced to death in Room 101. However, those that do read the book immediately see the light and join your struggle. You have two additionall copies of this book which you may distribute at random throughout the game. You may only distribute the book at night, under cover of darkness. The person you distribute it to will join your ranks if they are a regular prole. If it is a member of the Party that receives the book, they may elect to remain with the Party or may join you.

If a person does join you, you may PM with them freely. The two persons you recruit will also be assigned roles. One person will be a suicide bomber, giving his life for the Brotherhood. He will detonate his explosive on the last person who votes for him during a daytime vote. The other person will become a daytime investigator, and may investigate twice during any day time period (one per day selected).

Finally, you also have managed to acquire a gun from an antique dealer. You have only two bullets however, so use them judiciously. Firing into an unknown crowd would not be a good idea for you, may attract attention to your existence and identity, and potentially result in your being included on a Party-issued suspects list.

If I would do the vote changing again, I would change to where I would announce at the start who had been affected, so that it was clear. In other words, at the start of the round, the mod announces, THG's vote counts twice, etc. so it is clear from the start. Letting people try to figure it out was too hard.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: ***** 1984 Post Game Thread *****

Post by MWB »

I really like the twist in Azkar's role. How did that play out?

Also, really good balance. No one player had a ton of power, which really helped.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

The malka kill was timed perfectly to prevent us from finding c2i. We were all but certain he was MOL, and would use our last see on him, but then lost that when malka died.

Was there a limit to the number of investigations Winston had?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I could do one a night, and we got one daytime investigation after we found kraftster. We used the daytime investigate to fine malka.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

What role was mine?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Kicksave wrote:What role was mine?
I think you would have been the suicide voter. You got killed the same night we recruited you.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

MWB wrote:
I think you would have been the suicide voter. You got killed the same night we recruited you.
aww..so i was going to get the chance to go crazy and get myself voted out? damn.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

The bulletproof vest protecting twc threw me. I looked at it as an item and figured that MWB was protected by a role that night and twc had the vest. I thought it would be a one time use item and thought twc would have a protection from a role and MWB would be vulnerable. Had twc been protected without the vest being involved, I would have targeted twc the next night instead of MWB. We ended up wasting a night which cost us the game I feel.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

MWB wrote:I really like the twist in Azkar's role. How did that play out?

Also, really good balance. No one player had a ton of power, which really helped.
Azkar got the PMs, and they had knowledge of who you guys were investigating. The random synchronicity in who the good and bad RPs investigated/killed/recruited at the start of the game was really something. You guys kept investigating the same people who were either investigated or killed by the bad guys. C2I's one shot in the dark to get KS was key, I thought that the baddies would win after that happened.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Kicksave wrote:
MWB wrote:
aww..so i was going to get the chance to go crazy and get myself voted out? damn.
Haha, I didnt go check back, but I think that MWB had the option to give you either role, dont remember.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

relantel wrote:The malka kill was timed perfectly to prevent us from finding c2i. We were all but certain he was MOL, and would use our last see on him, but then lost that when malka died.

No, he was unlimited. I went back and forther on whether to make Malks investigations unlimited or not, but settled on 4. I maybe would jump it to 5 seeing how it played out. But you guys clearly figured out that MWB/TWC were the green RPs.
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by crayz »

great game!
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

i lol'd so hard when i used my one shot (i figured either i wasn't going to last very many days or the baddies would never find me. i was right on the latter) and it came up that KS was just recruited green.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

crayz wrote:great game!
:pop:
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Night 1

TWC protects MWB
Kraftster: nothing
MWB investigates KS (prole)
Malks investigates KS (prole)
Troy Loney kills shafnutz (prole)
relantel: nothing
zaro: nothing
Azkar
C2I does nothing

Night 2

TWC protects TWC
Kraftster investigates MWB (Winston)
MWB investigates Kraftster (Emmanuel Goldstein)
Malks investigates no one
Troy Loney is dead
relantel
zaro kills kraftster
Azkar listens to a PM (MWB investigates Kraftster)
C2I does nothing

Night 3

TWC protects MWB
Kraftster is dead
MWB investigates PFIDC
MWB tries to recruit KS
Malks investigates canaan (prole)
Troy Loney is dead
relantel double votes MWB
zaro forces THG to vote for PFIDC
Azkar listens to a PM
C2I shoots KS

I only kept track to here.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

C2I, did you have any idea who your fellow baddies were? I thought it was cool to have you separated from the group, because it really put you in a unique (if difficult position) of trying to look good while trying to not kill the fellow baddies.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

We were pretty positive Senka was bad and had some sort of self-protect. Then it came down to who the last couple were. I thought it was azkar and possibly thg. TWC though Zaro. Ended looking up zaro instead of azkar as my last investigation. Not sure if zaro would have skated longer with his story.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Why did you guys give me the double vote? And then the no vote?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

slappybrown wrote:
relantel wrote:The malka kill was timed perfectly to prevent us from finding c2i. We were all but certain he was MOL, and would use our last see on him, but then lost that when malka died.

No, he was unlimited. I went back and forther on whether to make Malks investigations unlimited or not, but settled on 4. I maybe would jump it to 5 seeing how it played out. But you guys clearly figured out that MWB/TWC were the green RPs.
Yeah - the clincher was when MWB or TWC (forget which now) made a night comment about being sure PFiDC was cleared. Having seen the investigation PM for them for PFiDC, Canaan, (And I forget the third PM viewed... might have been the kicksave recruit night?). The only way they could be sure was if they were one of the green PM'ing team.

Having only 4, we saved one night (night 2 maybe?) to not waste them so, and in the end, conservation of the resource ends up for naught. No complaints really - limited power means more thought has to be put into it, which is always a good thing in these warz games.

Our other likely misplay was using both vote affecting actions in the same day phase. Our directed vote the 2nd day (the MWB no-vote day) was THG to vote for Senka. But THG missed the entire day phase and several thereafter. (Talk about timely reappearance of disappeared players to help the village side...)

All in all, great game. Lots of nice twists, and non-traditional roles.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by relantel »

MWB wrote:Why did you guys give me the double vote? And then the no vote?
I think we picked you at random to be honest. I think there was a plan to direct the vote of that given time, and make the day phase run quick. Instead, the chaos slowed the day phase down quite a bit, and aalmost backfired when zaro was on the block until everyone switched to Loaf at the end.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

relantel wrote:
MWB wrote:Why did you guys give me the double vote? And then the no vote?
I think we picked you at random to be honest. I think there was a plan to direct the vote of that given time, and make the day phase run quick. Instead, the chaos slowed the day phase down quite a bit, and aalmost backfired when zaro was on the block until everyone switched to Loaf at the end.
That's the same day we investigated malka and I switched my double vote to him. Unfortunately, no one really wanted to go along.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

relantel wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Yeah - the clincher was when MWB or TWC (forget which now) made a night comment about being sure PFiDC was cleared. Having seen the investigation PM for them for PFiDC, Canaan, (And I forget the third PM viewed... might have been the kicksave recruit night?). The only way they could be sure was if they were one of the green PM'ing team.

Having only 4, we saved one night (night 2 maybe?) to not waste them so, and in the end, conservation of the resource ends up for naught. No complaints really - limited power means more thought has to be put into it, which is always a good thing in these warz games.

Our other likely misplay was using both vote affecting actions in the same day phase. Our directed vote the 2nd day (the MWB no-vote day) was THG to vote for Senka. But THG missed the entire day phase and several thereafter. (Talk about timely reappearance of disappeared players to help the village side...)

All in all, great game. Lots of nice twists, and non-traditional roles.
Hhaa, yea the PM seeing in that case was handy.

Did you guy sunderstand you could have given the no-vote/force vote to different players? In other words, it didnt have to stay on THG and MWB, you could have done it to someone else the second time those powers were exercised. I wasn't sure if you guy sknew that, or wanted to hit THG/MWB both times.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Azkar »

awesome game.

I knew I should have just stayed quiet that last day.

I was in early on ALL of the red votes, you think that would count for something. Next game I'm going against everything green RPs say.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

slappybrown wrote:C2I, did you have any idea who your fellow baddies were? I thought it was cool to have you separated from the group, because it really put you in a unique (if difficult position) of trying to look good while trying to not kill the fellow baddies.
had no clue... towards the end i had a feeling THG was bad, so i decided since i was going down i'd really lay it on thick and try to give him some cover. i had a feeling about Rel early on but then he was outed so no use in trying anything there.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Azkar wrote:awesome game.

I knew I should have just stayed quiet that last day.

I was in early on ALL of the red votes, you think that would count for something. Next game I'm going against everything green RPs say.
Yea, but you did make it to the end. You almost had it.