The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by PghSkins »

Dear 93.7: Putting the non-lucid old lady caller on every show is probably bad for ratings.
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Member »

PghSkins wrote:Dear 93.7: Putting the non-lucid old lady caller on every show is probably bad for ratings.
How can you tell? The station's not familiar with good ratings.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cheesesteakwithegg »

I was listening to Chris Muller the other night on my way back from the airport. He was talking about the divide / tension in town between Pens and Steelers fans, which I thought was an interesting topic. And for being 12:30 AM, he was getting a lot of callers. A few observations that I came away with...

1. Some yinzer called in and said that while he hopes the Pens do well, he could care less if they left tomorrow. Then he went on to say how hockey is a Canadian sport and that there are no good players that are American. I was waiting for Muller to rip into him for that one, but he told the guy that he respected his opinion. About 5 minutes later he did say that he didn't agree about there being no good American players. I understand that he is new to the business, and wants to please as many people as possible so that they listen to his graveyard show, but to let that guy off the hook for such an idiotic comment was pretty embarrassing for Chris.

2. Then some joke called in and said blamed the whole divide between Pens / Steelers fan on "the fat guy on the other station." The best part was that Muller agreed with the guy. Inferiority complex much? I won't lie, I am a Madden fan. I don't agree with all that he says, but when it comes to hockey, no one can touch him. And I think that while he has his grudges against certain Steelers, he is more fair when commenting on him than some people give him credit for. I just got a chuckle out of Muller, who only got into radio because he won some gameshow, calling Madden out in the middle of the night.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by tjand72 »

Is there really that much of a divide between the two teams' fans, or is it more of a fabricated or imagined divide?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

tjand72 wrote:Is there really that much of a divide between the two teams' fans, or is it more of a fabricated or imagined divide?
I think that it is mostly fabricated, but I do think a small divide does exist.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

Is there anything worse on 1250 ESPN than these awful "updates" from ESPN personalities.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by demondg1 »

tjand72 wrote:Is there really that much of a divide between the two teams' fans, or is it more of a fabricated or imagined divide?
I will admit that I do not like hardcore Steeler fans.
jamespensfan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jamespensfan »

PghSkins wrote:Dear 93.7: Putting the non-lucid old lady caller on every show is probably bad for ratings.
Making fun of her by using a tape of her on the morning show is even worse. She seems really nice and likes sports. They dont need to taunt her.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by viva la ben »

As a hardcore fan of both teams I view the "dividers" as complete fools.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:no good players that are American.
Joey Mullen is currently mobilizing Hell's Kitchen to "take care" of this guy.

cheesesteakwithegg wrote: I won't lie, I am a Madden fan. I don't agree with all that he says, but when it comes to hockey, no one can touch him. And I think that while he has his grudges against certain Steelers, he is more fair when commenting on him than some people give him credit for. I just got a chuckle out of Muller, who only got into radio because he won some gameshow, calling Madden out in the middle of the night.
I can't get past Madden's schtick to listen to his show regularly. I will say he is one of the better straight up interviewers in town (he had an excellent one with Crosby yesterday) and doesn't give the Stillers a pass like many shows in this town do.
jamespensfan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jamespensfan »

I have a freind that grew up in Pittsburgh and is in his early 30s and a Steelers season ticket holder. We had a conversation about our best Pittsburgh sports memories and I said attending Game One of the Stanley Cup finals when Mario scored in the last seconds to win Game 1 was my Numbeer 1 memory.

He was shaking his head at me since we attended the Steelers AFC Championship game together vs. the Ravens. He couldn't understand how any hockey game could make a top ten list with me being a Steelers fan.

Then I accused him of being one of those Steeler fans that was jealous of the Penguins popularity. And he said he wasn't jealous, but he could not understand the popularity of the Penguins. I said, "Nice guys, great team, a franchise that tries it best for their fans, etc." He said Steelers have all that.

I love the Steelers and I just rolled my eyes at that comment. I think his attitude if more common than you think.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Why Not Us »

I hear at least once a winter, on madden generally, people calling in to ask, "Why are you discussing the Penguins?? It's Steeler Season!" :roll:
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

IronDukes37 wrote: (nothing else to do at Latrobe)
Which is a good point: why do people go to see NFL training camps? I am a lifelong huge Redskins fan- that's been overtaken by the Pens lately- but I have no interest in going to their training camp. This is a phenomenon I just don't get.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

IronDukes37 wrote:Gianatti has really injected some life and fire into that morning show, it's almost too much fun stuff and not enough sports, I like it though.
Just reading the words "Paul Alexander" is a drag now, when he get's back it's gonna be....soo slow.
Gianatti has some odd opinions but he is a funny dude. The morning show is much better with him on it, I agree.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

AlexPKeaton wrote:
IronDukes37 wrote:Gianatti has really injected some life and fire into that morning show, it's almost too much fun stuff and not enough sports, I like it though.
Just reading the words "Paul Alexander" is a drag now, when he get's back it's gonna be....soo slow.
Gianatti has some odd opinions but he is a funny dude. The morning show is much better with him on it, I agree.
I agree as well. A few weeks ago when Gianatti was in for Alexander it was pretty darn good radio. He was in today for Burton, and while it was good, I think that Gianatti / Burton / Colony could potentially be gold.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

IronDukes37 wrote:
1. Some yinzer called in and said that while he hopes the Pens do well, he could care less if they left tomorrow. Then he went on to say how hockey is a Canadian sport and that there are no good players that are American
I heard him, that guy was drunk. plain and simple. :D

Re: the "divide". It's not so much animosity as it is simple disinterest.
The old time Steelers fans never considered the Penguins and hockey as one of the big time sports.
They grew up when the Steelers were at the top of the sports world, the Pirates were winning pennants, there weren't even any hockey games on TV and the Pens were irrelevant.
To them hockey is a curiosity.
Most of the older, columnist or sports writers in Pittsburgh view this Penguins resurgence as just a fad and the Pirates two decade long disgrace as a mere slump. They think (and have always thought) that eventually everything in the Pittsburgh sports world will be righted. (#1 Steelers, #2 Pirates, #3 Duquesne Basketball :shock: #4 Penguins).

The best thing for Penguins fans is to NOT get caught up in it, take it personal or try to argue...because the yinzer Steelers fans don't hate the Pens, they just don't care. (like I don't hate the NBA, I just don't really care to watch it :lol: ).

Back to 93.7 The Fan, I have really tried to listen to Vinnie and Cook this week leading to Steelers camp, it's been tough, I don't think Vinnie has a solid foundation in anything but baseball :face: . All week Cook has been giving him Steelers history lesson's, it's not good radio. Vinnie needs to talk to KDKA TV and get all the Steelers game DVD's from last year, sit down and watch the entire last season, last 2 seasons would be better. (nothing else to do at Latrobe)
NFL is a pleb sport. Haven't watched a single NFL game since the stillers won their last super bowl and do not intend to watch any ever again.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Mostly his rabidly insane hatred of Tim Tebow.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pens2005 »

Thing with madden is that he has 16 minute segments sometimes that aren't even about sports. Like seriously dude u know how to talk hockey...just do that and shut up with all the other bullcrap.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I was listening to Chris Muller the other night on my way back from the airport. He was talking about the divide / tension in town between Pens and Steelers fans, which I thought was an interesting topic. And for being 12:30 AM, he was getting a lot of callers. A few observations that I came away with...

2. Then some joke called in and said blamed the whole divide between Pens / Steelers fan on "the fat guy on the other station." The best part was that Muller agreed with the guy. Inferiority complex much? I won't lie, I am a Madden fan. I don't agree with all that he says, but when it comes to hockey, no one can touch him. And I think that while he has his grudges against certain Steelers, he is more fair when commenting on him than some people give him credit for. I just got a chuckle out of Muller, who only got into radio because he won some gameshow, calling Madden out in the middle of the night.
So by that logic, some guy who only played street hockey has no business ever finding fault with Fleury or any other NHL player, right?

Madden resents the attention the Steelers get and shows it with illogical hatred of them. He doesn't know squat about them. When he worked for 1250, he just used to parrot whatever opinions Ham offered. When he was on 1250, he used to brag that they weren't in bed with any of the teams, so they had legit coverage. Guess that doesn't matter now that he's on the Pens' station.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Madden resents the attention the Steelers get and shows it with illogical hatred of them
Wrong.

MMs whole thing with the Steelers started because some caller used to call him every week: "999999999999999999992" As in 1992.

So Madden replied with "1980".

Madden worked shows with Steelers players, he doesn't hate them as much as he claims, he just responds to the fans who rag on him because he likes the Pens more.

Madden has defended Ben with all this rape crap from day one.
Marshall Dylan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Marshall Dylan »

Wrong.

Madden has always resented the Steelers and the attention they command. He did shows with players because it was his job. The shows were sponsored, he was assigned to do them. He had no choice.

He likes Roethlisberger personally and he's also something of a misogynist, so he defends him.

His is the typical, "stupid Pittsburgh loves the Steelers more than the Pens" mentality that a lot of hockey fans have.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeCandy44
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by FreeCandy44 »

MM is actually very entertaining and a great sports mind. The typical yinzer just cant seem to get past that. And if he makes a vaild point, they call him fat. Im sure he is very sad and wounded when he gets his check every 2 weeks.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by skullman80 »

FreeCandy44 wrote:MM is actually very entertaining and a great sports mind. The typical yinzer just cant seem to get past that. And if he makes a vaild point, they call him fat. Im sure he is very sad and wounded when he gets his check every 2 weeks.
If a caller makes a valid point he tends to hang up on them and berate them so it's a two way street. I don't disagree the guy has knowledge, but his shtick is annoying. It sells though.. so I can't blame him for continuing to do it.