LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by bhaw »

Corvidae wrote:
bhaw wrote:Well, I was thinking more along the lines of 2 zebras won't give birth to a sea turtle. I can't remember the last time that happened.
Then you've never been to Tijuana.
true.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

Corvidae wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:It's the reason I don't kill spiders in my house. They eat other bugs. Unless it's in my shower or my bedroom. Those places are off limits to spiders.
That is the exact same policy I have. :fist:
Seriously, guys? You let them nasty evil bastards walk around your house? I mean, if you find it anywhere and leave it alone, it will eventually find it's way into your bedroom/bathroom. Please tell me you at least catch them and throw them outside.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

Sarcastic wrote: Seriously, guys? You let them nasty evil bastards walk around your house? I mean, if you find it anywhere and leave it alone, it will eventually find it's way into your bedroom/bathroom. Please tell me you at least catch them and throw them outside.
I kill mosquitos on sight. different rules apply for most other things.

spider: if i identify you as poisonous, youre dead. otherwise, stay away from me and you live. (jumping spiders get to live no matter what, they are far too cute to kill).
houseflies: if you touch me, youre dead. get close enough to annoy me, you get slapped.
rodents: gtfo of my house or deal with the traps.
other tiny flying bugs: annoy me, you get slapped, keep annoying me, death.

abide by these rules, and i let them live. mosquitos die because their existance is based on biting me. poisonous things get a preemptive death because of what damage they could potentially do. everything else gets a free pass if i merely see them going about their business not bothering me. I dont like the feeling of knowing that something may have been perfectly comfortable where it was, without a care in the world, and i came along and extinguished it just because i saw it there.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Kaizer wrote:
Sarcastic wrote: Seriously, guys? You let them nasty evil bastards walk around your house? I mean, if you find it anywhere and leave it alone, it will eventually find it's way into your bedroom/bathroom. Please tell me you at least catch them and throw them outside.

spider: if i identify you as poisonous, youre dead. otherwise, stay away from me and you live. (jumping spiders get to live no matter what, they are far too cute to kill).
houseflies: if you touch me, youre dead. get close enough to annoy me, you get slapped.

abide by these rules, and i let them live. mosquitos die because their existance is based on biting me. poisonous things get a preemptive death because of what damage they could potentially do. everything else gets a free pass if i merely see them going about their business not bothering me. I dont like the feeling of knowing that something may have been perfectly comfortable where it was, without a care in the world, and i came along and extinguished it just because i saw it there.
That' extremely thought-out and reasonable. The only thing that I would add is a super gross clause. Things like earwigs and centipedes are disgusting so I end them. I also can't resist the urge to hunt a big fly. Be silent... listen for the buzzing sounds... SNAP WITH THE WET DISH TOWEL! I lost respect for my birds when they ran from a fly. :face:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

So if you see a spider or a bug walk on your wall, you guys just leave it alone? You know all these bugs mate and make more bugs, right?

I am sitting here like this -> :shock:

"I dont like the feeling of knowing that something may have been perfectly comfortable where it was, without a care in the world, and i came along and extinguished it just because i saw it there."

It's a freaking bug. You step on it, case closed.

Freaking liberals.

:?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

We get wolf spiders in our house. They are the biggest that we see and are about the size of a 1/2 dollar. Those I will capture and take outside.

If it's a pencil eraser sized spider I wont even bother.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

If I saw a wolf spider, I would 1. crap my pants 2. call my g/f the get rid of it 3. pass out.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

wolf spider bite

doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-10713946" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mini-stroke victims 'miss out on vital care'.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Bugs = mortal enemies
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Kaizer wrote:

Very good stuff. Pretty much the same here. The only thing I add would be Corvi's "gross clause". Centipedes are one of the biggest offenders. I hate stinkbugs too. YUCK!
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Sarcastic wrote:wolf spider bite
Spoiler:
I was bitten by a brown recluse about 12 years ago. I still have a nasty scar. It hurt like crazy and was so gross.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by neophool »

Science
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

BadHands71 wrote:I hate stinkbugs too.
I found one of those jagoffs on my shirt back on Saturday when I was getting ready to put it on. :scared: :scared: :scared:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

bhaw wrote:Well, I was thinking more along the lines of 2 zebras won't give birth to a sea turtle. I can't remember the last time that happened.
This: Is what I'd hoped people knew I wasn't saying.

My thinking is more along the lines of "2 zebras give birth to a horse".
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Stink Bugs are EVIL EVIL EVIL.

You know the smell as soon as you smell it the first time. A weird, almond-like smell (thanks to the cyanide-based odor they put out). Right now, I am sitting at my computer, and I can smell it very strongly. Unfortunately, I don't see any around. They are incredibly invasive, especially during spring and fall. If you see this:

carefully wrap it in toilet paper or tissue and flush it. Do NOT mash it.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Archaeologists find new structure at Stonehenge

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6 ... nt=Twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

doublem wrote:Archaeologists find new structure at Stonehenge

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6 ... nt=Twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm fascinated by Stonehenge.

I saw a documentary a while ago where an engineer tried to remake it on a similar site using identical stones from the same area. He was able to do everything except get the top stones up. He said that he might be able to do it with enough time but it would take years to complete.

That society had the patience and innovation to create Stonehenge (and other similar burial sites) but would still toss their waste (human and otherwise) into the muddy street.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

shafnutz05 wrote:carefully wrap it in toilet paper or tissue and flush it. Do NOT mash it.
Yeah, I've trapped the ones I've found in a small box and deposited them outside... maybe flushing them would have been a better route. Oh well.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marine Creatures Survived Ancient Ocean Acidification.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

thats what your stinkbugs look like? soff. ours look like the artillery beetles from starship troopers.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Kaizer wrote:thats what your stinkbugs look like? soff. ours look like the artillery beetles from starship troopers.
Same size or smaller? If they are the same size you might want to consider moving.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

is that an actual size pic? ours are about the size of a quarter
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/ ... e-chasers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Longest Eclipse Ever: Airplane Chases the Moon’s Shadow

Read More http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/ ... z0uSD7VZFp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://www.webmd.com/ibs/news/20100723/ ... -the-brain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the Brain
IBS Patients' Brains on High Alert, With Less Control of Emotion and Pain.

Makes sense.