George R.R. Martin/Game of Thrones

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: George R.R. Martin

Post by steve784 »

Yeah, I bought all the books based on the recommendations from this board. Halfway through book two.......I'm such a slow reader though. I typically read only before bed and usually only get through a chapter a night. Oh well......should keep me occupied for the next couple years at this pace.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

Just thinking about this...
Spoiler:
The Red Wedding could be one of the greatest scenes in TV history. Damn that's going to be awesome. Well, if they get that far. *fingers crossed*
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Finally finished the first book last night, onto book 2 today. I'm hooked and hope the 2nd book continues in terms of quality as the first.
Spoiler:
the ending with Daenerys and the dragons was really rad, I wasn't expecting that. Looking forward to see how the dragons take part in the future books.
Really like Tyrion Lannister, might be my favorite character. Peter dinklage is going to be awesome playing him in the HBO series. I found it a little hard to get attached with a lot of the characters because it seems like everyone is so young, but as the story progressed, I didn't really see the age as much as their character.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

eddysnake wrote:Finally finished the first book last night, onto book 2 today. I'm hooked and hope the 2nd book continues in terms of quality as the first.
Spoiler:
the ending with Daenerys and the dragons was really rad, I wasn't expecting that. Looking forward to see how the dragons take part in the future books.
Really like Tyrion Lannister, might be my favorite character. Peter dinklage is going to be awesome playing him in the HBO series. I found it a little hard to get attached with a lot of the characters because it seems like everyone is so young, but as the story progressed, I didn't really see the age as much as their character.
The second is better than the first...the third is better than the second. The fourth...a lot of people hate the fourth, but I'd put it on par with the first one.

The age thing was a major concern with people about the series. "Well, this character is 8 and this character is 13, how are actors going to pull that off" blah blah blah...you are precisely right. After the initial statement of their ages, you really don't even think about it any more. You just know they are young which makes these situations seem even more difficult. But, if they age Robb up to 18 vs. 16...is it a huge difference for the TV show? No. It's not.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Yeah I thought the fourth was weak. The problem with GRRM is he is going to die before finishing #5, since it seems to be his lowest priority of all the things he is doing. Although Robert Jordan dying worked out pretty well (in literary terms only) for Wheel of Time.
Last edited by AlexPKeaton on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Good to hear that they keep getting better and better!

regarding age
Spoiler:
I'm sure they will have to make some changes for tv and it shouldn't be a big deal, I could be wrong, but was Daenerys 14, I doubt they make a 14 yr old pregnant for the HBO series.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

eddysnake wrote:Good to hear that they keep getting better and better!

regarding age
Spoiler:
I'm sure they will have to make some changes for tv and it shouldn't be a big deal, I could be wrong, but was Daenerys 14, I doubt they make a 14 yr old pregnant for the HBO series.
Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I do...but I think they aged her up to 16. So...it's still young, but...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

jaysmiter wrote:
eddysnake wrote:Good to hear that they keep getting better and better!

regarding age
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, and I'm not sure I do...but I think they aged her up to 16. So...it's still young, but...
Spoiler:
And....um....what are they going to do about her "marriage" to Kahl Drogo. :pop:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

PensFanInDC wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And....um....what are they going to do about her "marriage" to Kahl Drogo. :pop:
Spoiler:
and the dragons breastfeeding at the end...they gotta keep that in, it will be a first for tv!
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

eddysnake wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
and the dragons breastfeeding at the end...they gotta keep that in, it will be a first for tv!
Spoiler:
Well, the girl playing her is over 18...so...no issues there.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

Was played before the premiere of True Blood tonight:

[youtube][/youtube]
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Don't know how I missed that last night. Didn't show much, but enough to get me excited, can't wait.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

They are on my list of books to read this summer. I need to finish the one I'm on right now, and then they are next. Nice to see the reviews on here. :thumb:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Heres an extremely geeky link that breaks down the teaser with screen grabs so you can actually see whats going on, love it

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/ ... th_images/
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

I AM EXCITEMENT.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

finished Clash Of Kings last night, I had stopped reading about 400 pages through because didn't really have time, picked it up recently and the last 500 pages flew by. Picked up A Sword of Storms over the weekend and I also got The Name of the Wind based on jaysmiters post previously. I'm not really which to pick up next, I'm so hooked on fire and ice that I'll probably just keep reading, but a change of books might be nice, maybe after the 3rd one. You guys like Storm of Swords?

everyone was right, the 2nd book was better than the 1st and that was really good
Spoiler:
I hope the HBO series gets good ratings, because if it makes it to the 2nd season, it's gonna take quite a budget for some of those battle scenes at the end. I love battle with all the ships and the wildfire, Davos was one of my fave characters in this one. Also really dug Jon Snow's story, love how he's going to be fighting with the Wildlings, looking forward to finding more about the giants, mammoths, etc...
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

eddysnake wrote:finished Clash Of Kings last night, I had stopped reading about 400 pages through because didn't really have time, picked it up recently and the last 500 pages flew by. Picked up A Sword of Storms over the weekend and I also got The Name of the Wind based on jaysmiters post previously. I'm not really which to pick up next, I'm so hooked on fire and ice that I'll probably just keep reading, but a change of books might be nice, maybe after the 3rd one. You guys like Storm of Swords?

everyone was right, the 2nd book was better than the 1st and that was really good
Spoiler:
I hope the HBO series gets good ratings, because if it makes it to the 2nd season, it's gonna take quite a budget for some of those battle scenes at the end. I love battle with all the ships and the wildfire, Davos was one of my fave characters in this one. Also really dug Jon Snow's story, love how he's going to be fighting with the Wildlings, looking forward to finding more about the giants, mammoths, etc...

I started Storm of Swords probably like a month ago, and so far it's my favorite of the 3 I've read. Westeros is gettin craaaaaaaaaazay.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

steve784 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:finished Clash Of Kings last night, I had stopped reading about 400 pages through because didn't really have time, picked it up recently and the last 500 pages flew by. Picked up A Sword of Storms over the weekend and I also got The Name of the Wind based on jaysmiters post previously. I'm not really which to pick up next, I'm so hooked on fire and ice that I'll probably just keep reading, but a change of books might be nice, maybe after the 3rd one. You guys like Storm of Swords?

Spoiler:

I started Storm of Swords probably like a month ago, and so far it's my favorite of the 3 I've read. Westeros is gettin craaaaaaaaaazay.
You don't even know what crazy is yet.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by steve784 »

PensFanInDC wrote:You don't even know what crazy is yet.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

aSoS is typically regarded as the best of the bunch. I tend to agree.

It's awesome.

Eddy,

The Name of the Wind would be a good change of pace. It's a fairly quick read (I knocked it out in a week or so) and doesn't make you wanna throw the book at a wall like Ice and Fire does sometimes.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Spoiler:
Not that big of a spoiler. The only thing that would be spoiled is knowing that a certain character is still alive. Read if you want.
Spoiler:
Davos is becoming one of the top main characters of the series. Which, of course, means he will probably die soon :lol:
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

jaysmiter wrote: The Name of the Wind would be a good change of pace. It's a fairly quick read (I knocked it out in a week or so) and doesn't make you wanna throw the book at a wall like Ice and Fire does sometimes.
hehe I already started aSoS this morning, I really want to get into something else, but I just can't bring myself to it, I must know what happens! After this, I will venture into new territory. My wife was making fun of me after reading the back cover of the the name of the wind, which I have to admit sounds kinda cheesey. After reading all the reviews on amazon, it does seem like it is a pretty cool story and the cover may just be poorly written. I checked out the authors blog and he seems like a cool guy
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

eddysnake wrote:
jaysmiter wrote: The Name of the Wind would be a good change of pace. It's a fairly quick read (I knocked it out in a week or so) and doesn't make you wanna throw the book at a wall like Ice and Fire does sometimes.
hehe I already started aSoS this morning, I really want to get into something else, but I just can't bring myself to it, I must know what happens! After this, I will venture into new territory. My wife was making fun of me after reading the back cover of the the name of the wind, which I have to admit sounds kinda cheesey. After reading all the reviews on amazon, it does seem like it is a pretty cool story and the cover may just be poorly written. I checked out the authors blog and he seems like a cool guy
It shares a lot of similarities with Harry Potter, for sure. However, the way Rothfuss writes is really engaging.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

finished aSoS last night. I was really bummed out that it ended and I didn't have the next book on hand to continue reading. Boy do I hope the series does well on HBO so they can make it to this book.
Spoiler:
Can the Stark family have it any rougher? I was really starting to get frusterated, every one of them seemed to miss another of their family by hours or days, I was really hoping one of them would run into another. I was a little skeptical about Catelyn coming back at the end, but now that she appears to be a mess, things could get rad with her storyline.

I didn't want to get to caught up with what happens in the next book, but according to some publishers reviews, it looks like Tyrion and Jon are not in the 4th book as much? Without spoiling anything, whats everyones thoughts on the 4th book?
Last edited by eddysnake on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

eddysnake wrote:finished aSoS last night. I was really bummed out that it ended and I didn't have the next book on hand to continue reading. Boy do I hope the series does well on HBO so they can make it to this book.
Spoiler:
Can the Stark family have it any rougher? I was really starting to get frusterated, everyone one of them seemed to miss another of their family by hours or days, I was really hoping one of them would run into another. I was a little skeptical about Catelyn coming back at the end, but now that she appears to be a mess, things could get rad with her storyline.

I didn't want to get to caught up with what happens in the next book, but according to some publishers reviews, it looks like Tyrion and Jon are not in the 4th book as much? Without spoiling anything, whats everyones thoughts on the 4th book?
The 4th book is the weakest by far. I did not enjoy it. Perhaps when I re-read the series before the next book comes out I will appreciate it more.