GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Post by Kraftster »

MWB wrote:
LeopardLetang wrote:oh, i may have mentioned last year, but i really like a beer or two of magic hat's wacko. it's a tasty red and is smooth like boddingtons

and Wild Blue is a high alcohol, drinkable flavored beer.
Hm, don't think I've tried the Wacko. Magic Hat is up and down for me. I really like some of their stuff, but have also had some awful stuff from them. They also put out so many different products, I'm not sure if it's new or just a name change. When they first came out I loved their Magic Hat Red Ale. They really blew up in a short period of time.
I agree on Magic Hat. They miss big time sometimes, in my opinion. Like I said in another post, their black beer winter seasonal - Howl - is really good. A touch watery, but, still good.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Yeah, I liked Howl ok. I forget what the beer was I had recently that was so awful I didn't finish it. Maybe Odd Notion?
Spum
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by Spum »

Not enough Great Lakes love in this thread. Eliot Ness and Edmund Fitzgerald are awesome. Something good actually came out of Cleveland.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Kraftster wrote:I actually had someone tell me about Anchor earlier in the week. Will have to try to give that a try. Where can you get it around here?
I usually shop at Save on Beer on McKnight Road. It’s in the plaza that’s next to the Red Lobster and roughly across from Pep Boys. You probably drive past it every day now. Also, IIRC, the Giant Eagle in West View, which is one of the few that sells beer, had Anchor Steam in six-packs. You could get a sixer there first to see what you think of it. Personally, I think Anchor Liberty is their best offering, but it’s a ragingly hoppy homage to the Cascade hop.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

blackjack68 wrote:Had some Otter Creek Summer Ale last night. Not bad on a 95 degree day and I liked it better than Sam Adams Summer, which I like also.
I loved Sam Adams summer ale the first time I had it this summer. It's not my favorite now.

I've been on a kick with "holy moses white ale" from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

BadHands71 wrote:I've been on a kick with "holy moses white ale" from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
I'll have to try that. I love Belgian Wits, but for most of the ones I've tried the brewers seem to go overboard on the coriander, which gives the beer somewhat of a "cooked celery" taste. My favorites are the original Hoegaarden and Celis White, which is made in the USA from Pierre Celis’ original Hoegaarden recipe (Pierre Celis was the founder of Hoegaarden and the man who single-handedly revived the then-dead Belgian Wit style).
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Shyster wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:I've been on a kick with "holy moses white ale" from Great Lakes Brewing Co.
I'll have to try that. I love Belgian Wits, but for most of the ones I've tried the brewers seem to go overboard on the coriander, which gives the beer somewhat of a "cooked celery" taste. My favorites are the original Hoegaarden and Celis White, which is made in the USA from Pierre Celis’ original Hoegaarden recipe (Pierre Celis was the founder of Hoegaarden and the man who single-handedly revived the then-dead Belgian Wit style).
It's good, not an overpowering coriander taste at all. A little hint of sweetness too. Very good beer, unfortunately it's only around for a short time.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by blackjack68 »

MWB wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Had some Otter Creek Summer Ale last night. Not bad on a 95 degree day and I liked it better than Sam Adams Summer, which I like also.

Nice.... where did you get it, in Jersey?

I got it at a brew pub in South Jersey. First time I've had it. I'll have to look for it at the store next time.

Here's a link from their web site that shows where you can get it in NC:
http://ottercreekbrewing.com/otter_cree ... ns/NC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: That's a link showing the distributors that have it, maybe they can tell you which retail outlets they sell to.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

blackjack68 wrote: I got it at a brew pub in South Jersey. First time I've had it. I'll have to look for it at the store next time.

Here's a link from their web site that shows where you can get it in NC:
http://ottercreekbrewing.com/otter_cree ... ns/NC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: That's a link showing the distributors that have it, maybe they can tell you which retail outlets they sell to.
Thanks for the link. I've seen it once here at a beer specialty place, but it was just the regular Otter Creek. It's probably my favorite brewery and am still holding onto one of the Stovepipe Porters I got on my last trip to Vermont.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Shyster wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I actually had someone tell me about Anchor earlier in the week. Will have to try to give that a try. Where can you get it around here?
I usually shop at Save on Beer on McKnight Road. It’s in the plaza that’s next to the Red Lobster and roughly across from Pep Boys. You probably drive past it every day now. Also, IIRC, the Giant Eagle in West View, which is one of the few that sells beer, had Anchor Steam in six-packs. You could get a sixer there first to see what you think of it. Personally, I think Anchor Liberty is their best offering, but it’s a ragingly hoppy homage to the Cascade hop.
Yep, I drive by it every day now. I went to Babcock Beverage last night and went home on McKnight and saw the Save on Beer sign for the first time, so, I know exactly where its at.

Sampling with a sixer is always best. Actually the Beer Nutz in O'Hara/Fox Chapel is great because you can just pull one of something out of the fridge, try it there, and then buy it if you like it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

Spum wrote:Not enough Great Lakes love in this thread. Eliot Ness and Edmund Fitzgerald are awesome. Something good actually came out of Cleveland.
I'm with ya on that. Its currently my fave brewery. I have a couple blackout stouts at home I may finish off tonight. Their fall seasonal "Nosferatu" is a personal fave, it too will get you in some trouble

Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Kaizer »

Ive had bud light, natty light, milwaukee's beast ICE and pabst in the last week.

its the only reason i care about making more money.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Kraftster wrote:Sampling with a sixer is always best. Actually the Beer Nutz in O'Hara/Fox Chapel is great because you can just pull one of something out of the fridge, try it there, and then buy it if you like it.
Three Sons Dogs and Suds (http://www.3sonsdogsandsuds.com) is a similar place in Wexford. It’s a fairly short trip up 19. You can mix and match anything there.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

eddysnake wrote:
Spum wrote:Not enough Great Lakes love in this thread. Eliot Ness and Edmund Fitzgerald are awesome. Something good actually came out of Cleveland.
I'm with ya on that. Its currently my fave brewery. I have a couple blackout stouts at home I may finish off tonight. Their fall seasonal "Nosferatu" is a personal fave, it too will get you in some trouble
Seriously. Love Great Lakes Brewery. :thumb: Their Nosferatu is good stuff and I'm a fan of their Christmas one. They have some good stuff year round too. Eliot Ness is another one I like.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

Shyster wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Sampling with a sixer is always best. Actually the Beer Nutz in O'Hara/Fox Chapel is great because you can just pull one of something out of the fridge, try it there, and then buy it if you like it.
Three Sons Dogs and Suds (http://www.3sonsdogsandsuds.com) is a similar place in Wexford. It’s a fairly short trip up 19. You can mix and match anything there.

wow..they have a ton of beer there. How much does a mix and match 6 pack usually run there? I can usually manage to keep my 6 pack at d's around $16 and get an awesome selection
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by crayz »

my typical drinks...

half acre daisy cutter (local pale ale from chicago brewery......amazing)
cantillon classic gueuze
lindman cuvee renee
goose island ipa
three floyds gumball head
new belgium la folie/eric's ale

cant go wrong with ANY of those.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by JS© »

tifosi77 wrote:Stella Artois is a great lager, but it's only about half as potent in the U.S. as it is in Europe. Alaska Summer is another good one.

If you can find it, give Xingu a try. Brazilian black beer. Wicked awesome.
the Xingu is so hard to find though if you're in PA. I went to Virginia last year and it was everywhere. In fact, it was so commonplace that when I went to buy stuff to take home, I never bothered buying a sixer :face: Hopefully I have a trip down there in teh next month or so. I might have to reload. The fridge stash with all the good stuff is getting low.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

For anyone living in the South Hills area, Barley's and Hops in Bethel Park is great. They have a nice selection of bottles and they usually have at least 6 or 8 things on tap. Nice, basic, menu of wraps, sandwiches and salads too. And of course, the mix and match 6-pack is the way to go. Their staff is also good a recommending beers if you're looking for something different.

http://www.barleysandhops.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Shyster »

Troy Loney wrote:wow..they have a ton of beer there. How much does a mix and match 6 pack usually run there? I can usually manage to keep my 6 pack at d's around $16 and get an awesome selection
I haven't been there in a while and can't specifically recall at the moment, but I want to say the prices are right in that neighborhood. I do remember there are several price tiers (I think three) for the stuff in the coolers. Still, it's worth it if you can avoid buying an entire case of something you end up disliking (stupid PA laws).
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

BadHands71 wrote:
For anyone living in the South Hills area, Barley's and Hops in Bethel Park is great. They have a nice selection of bottles and they usually have at least 6 or 8 things on tap. Nice, basic, menu of wraps, sandwiches and salads too. And of course, the mix and match 6-pack is the way to go. Their staff is also good a recommending beers if you're looking for something different.

I have to move back to Bethel at the end of the summer for a month or two...i'll be frequenting there.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Troy Loney wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:

I have to move back to Bethel at the end of the summer for a month or two...i'll be frequenting there.
You will probably see me. :scared: I like it though, good place. It's small enough that it's easy to become a regular, the staff is knowledgeable and the beer and food are good and reasonable. Nice set up with TVs as well, I've watched a few games there in my time.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Shyster wrote:I haven't been there in a while and can't specifically recall at the moment, but I want to say the prices are right in that neighborhood. I do remember there are several price tiers (I think three) for the stuff in the coolers. Still, it's worth it if you can avoid buying an entire case of something you end up disliking (stupid PA laws).
That is the MOST irritating thing about buying beer in PA. I love having a place like Barley's and Hops near me that I can try something and mix and match a six pack. I'm not one to buy something unless I like it and actually want to drink a whole case. And I'm not spending 20 bucks on something that I may or may not like.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

BadHands71 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

You will probably see me. :scared: I like it though, good place. It's small enough that it's easy to become a regular, the staff is knowledgeable and the beer and food are good and reasonable. Nice set up with TVs as well, I've watched a few games there in my time.
If you see a dude rolling up there in a honda ruckus...you can be 99.9% sure that it's me.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

my mom got a big 750 ml bottle of framboise. i like to put a little in with guiness but 750 ml's is alot. do you think if i put one of those vacuum wine stoppers on it it woudl stay fresh
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by BadHands71 »

Troy Loney wrote:
BadHands71 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

If you see a dude rolling up there in a honda ruckus...you can be 99.9% sure that it's me.
lol. I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point.