LGP Science Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: LGP Science Thread

Post by Kraftster »

I watched Through the Wormhole the other day. I think this one was titled 'Is there a Creator?'

Really a fascinating show and Morgan Freeman is a great narrator. The two most interesting (probably because they were new to me) theories on there were the "God Experience" neurosurgeon guy and the "The Sims" guy. The first guy basically believes that neurologically, we have evolved to experience the sensation of a "presence" of something other than ourselves in order to reduce our anxiety generally and specifically with respect to fearing death/our own mortality. He thinks he can simulate the experience in a lab and he seemed to do just that with the girl that went through his experiment based upon the comments she made afterward. If a leaning towards religious belief is evolutionary it would be pretty fascinating because a greater portion of the most intelligent individuals in the world are atheists/agnostics than are theists. So, for the sake of survival, we would evolve in such a way as to potentially reduce intelligence (correlation is not causation, I realize, just interesting to speculate about).

The other dude presented a pretty compelling argument, going into particle/wave duality, that we are basically 'The Sims' of some future, more advanced humans. Made a more convincing argument than I expected.

What a show.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

Kraftster wrote:What a show.
It's really excellent.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Kraftster wrote:I watched Through the Wormhole the other day. I think this one was titled 'Is there a Creator?'

Really a fascinating show and Morgan Freeman is a great narrator. The two most interesting (probably because they were new to me) theories on there were the "God Experience" neurosurgeon guy and the "The Sims" guy. The first guy basically believes that neurologically, we have evolved to experience the sensation of a "presence" of something other than ourselves in order to reduce our anxiety generally and specifically with respect to fearing death/our own mortality. He thinks he can simulate the experience in a lab and he seemed to do just that with the girl that went through his experiment based upon the comments she made afterward. If a leaning towards religious belief is evolutionary it would be pretty fascinating because a greater portion of the most intelligent individuals in the world are atheists/agnostics than are theists. So, for the sake of survival, we would evolve in such a way as to potentially reduce intelligence (correlation is not causation, I realize, just interesting to speculate about).

The other dude presented a pretty compelling argument, going into particle/wave duality, that we are basically 'The Sims' of some future, more advanced humans. Made a more convincing argument than I expected.

What a show.
What channel was this on? This sounds great.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/artic ... 527677.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FDA panel backs new emergency contraceptive
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FDA Fines Red Cross $16M For Blood Safety Failures

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. That is real bad.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

doublem wrote:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... um=twitter

Horrible. If there is one thing that you need to be BEYOND careful with, it's blood screening. That will make me think twice about giving blood...if they can't screen properly God knows they could be reusing needles
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

shafnutz05 wrote:
doublem wrote:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... um=twitter

Horrible. If there is one thing that you need to be BEYOND careful with, it's blood screening. That will make me think twice about giving blood...if they can't screen properly God knows they could be reusing needles
Bleh, I hating thinking about that. I went to the Health Department in Oakland today for a tetanus shot. My insurance wouldn't cover it so it would have cost me almost $80 at my PCP. It was 10 bucks there so worth the trip. I just hope they used a clean needle (and the shot was ANTI-tetanus)

On a side note, there are significantly less people on the 3rd floor waiting for vaccines than on the 1st waiting for STD screening. I was in and out in like 10 minutes. When I walked outside some dude in a lab coat handed me a piece of paper about how I would someday have to stand before God and answer for my sins. I told him he was gay, he said no and walked away.
Last edited by Corvidae on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

When I walked outside some dude in a lab coat handed me a piece of paper about how I would someday have to stand before God and atone for my sins. I told him he was gay, he said no and walked away.
LULZ. Those people are really annoying.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://www.tm.org/blog/students/nationa ... -research/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

National Institutes of Health spotlights TM research.

Somewhat science.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

wallflower wrote:
It's really excellent.
Haven't watched that yet but saw the Steven hawking special that was on before it last night. Amazing.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

shmenguin wrote:
wallflower wrote:
It's really excellent.
Haven't watched that yet but saw the Steven hawking special that was on before it last night. Amazing.
I wanted to watch that on Discovery, but I missed it :thumbdown: . Looked really interesting though.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

doublem wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I watched Through the Wormhole the other day. I think this one was titled 'Is there a Creator?'

What a show.
Science Channel.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Kraftster wrote:
doublem wrote:

What a show.
Science Channel.
Damn, don't get that.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by shmenguin »

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
shmenguin wrote: Haven't watched that yet but saw the Steven hawking special that was on before it last night. Amazing.
I wanted to watch that on Discovery, but I missed it :thumbdown: . Looked really interesting though.
really cool. basically explained how the universe formed, from a physical standpoint. the visuals they used made the complex theories seem pretty simple.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Physical_Graffiti »

shmenguin wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
shmenguin wrote: Haven't watched that yet but saw the Steven hawking special that was on before it last night. Amazing.
really cool. basically explained how the universe formed, from a physical standpoint. the visuals they used made the complex theories seem pretty simple.
Was this the same show where Hawking was going to talk about aliens and why he believes they exist (and that we will eventually meet them)?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Physical_Graffiti wrote: Was this the same show where Hawking was going to talk about aliens and why he believes they exist (and that we will eventually meet them)?
I think that was "Into the Universe." There's another show on the Science Channel with Hawking where he basically explains the universe and how it works. They use analogies to help.

The one thing that Steven Hawking said that kind of blew me away was that his goal is to figure out why there is even a universe to begin with. 99.999.....% of people can't even understand what the universe actually is and here he is trying to figure out WHY there is a universe at all. It's another level that is mind blowing to me.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/10350373.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tea and coffee 'protect against heart disease'
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

doublem wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/10350373.stm

My initial reaction was, "AWESOME!" as I am a tea drinker. However, I then got to this part :
Those who drank more than six cups of tea a day cut their risk of heart disease by a third, the study of 40,000 people found.
I would have to replace water with hot tea to drink that much during the day and that's just not going to happen.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

wallflower wrote:
doublem wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/10350373.stm

My initial reaction was, "AWESOME!" as I am a tea drinker. However, I then got to this part :
Those who drank more than six cups of tea a day cut their risk of heart disease by a third, the study of 40,000 people found.
I would have to replace water with hot tea to drink that much during the day and that's just not going to happen.
I do like tea but don't drink it that often, not that big of fan if warm beverages.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Yellow sub finds clues to Antarctic glacier's thaw

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6 ... nt=Twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GW. :scared: :scared:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

I haven't watched the entire thing Corv but have you heard of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6503414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or is this it?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Wait it is it, I read the book it terrified me. :shock:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »