The Official LGP Pittsburgh Sport Radio Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 93.7 The Fan Now On

Post by Kraftster »

The only guy that I've heard who is half decent is the evening guy, don't know his name. The rest is pretty poor.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

viva la ben wrote:The main problem I have with 93.7 is Ron Cook; he sounds like the king of the Yinzers.
:lol: :lol: :lol: So true!!
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

I don't mind Ron Cook. I really don't. I don't really like that Vinnie guy though.

Pretty much eveyrone else, I enjoy.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by KennyTheKangaroo »

IronDukes37 wrote:A few days ago I was listening to DVE, the DJ was talking about how as a young newbie in radio working at a small town station in upstate NY she met some famous rock star on tour....typical radio DJ, first job, small town, small station story.

It was the "...I was just starting out at W--- in a really tiny town making peanuts..." part that got me thinking about the 93.7 TheFan.
They brought in a bunch of has-beens and also a few very young, just staring out types.

Is that disrespectful to the Pittsburgh market?
Are we a tiny has-been market that CBS Radio can just dump rejects from Seattle and Buffalo on us?
In a way that's how I feel sometimes when I listen to Vinnie stuttering all day and Filipony sucking his lips all night.
Like I'm back in Manhatten, KS, Elizabethtown, KY or Hinesville, GA listening to a local yokel station that can only afford to pay part time.
I'm not quite sure what you are looking for.

I'm pretty sure filliponi and gianatti and richichi all have expreience working in big markets. The problem is, Western Pennsylvania is so damn provincial that we don't discuss anything beyond the pens, stillers, and college sports when its in season. Pirate discussion mostly involves yinzers screaming to up the payroll. If you aren't from around here, you probably dont know much about the pirates, pitt, and wvu.

As far as vinnie stuttering and all that, well, quite frankly there arent that many really eloquent talkshow hosts. Stan stutters all the time. Madden breathes into the microphone. And, well, lets just say that tunch and wolf had thier own talkshow. These guys arent perfect.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Kraftster wrote:The only guy that I've heard who is half decent is the evening guy, don't know his name. The rest is pretty poor.
Gregg Giannotti - that's the guy I've heard that I like.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Letang Is The Truth »

Kraftster wrote:
Kraftster wrote:The only guy that I've heard who is half decent is the evening guy, don't know his name. The rest is pretty poor.
greg is 6-10 and andrew fillipponi is 10-2 and i like them both
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Point Breeze Penguins »

Greg is really good.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

IronDukes37 wrote:A few days ago I was listening to DVE, the DJ was talking about how as a young newbie in radio working at a small town station in upstate NY she met some famous rock star on tour....typical radio DJ, first job, small town, small station story.

It was the "...I was just starting out at W--- in a really tiny town making peanuts..." part that got me thinking about the 93.7 TheFan.
They brought in a bunch of has-beens and also a few very young, just staring out types.

Is that disrespectful to the Pittsburgh market?
Are we a tiny has-been market that CBS Radio can just dump rejects from Seattle and Buffalo on us?
In a way that's how I feel sometimes when I listen to Vinnie stuttering all day and Filipony sucking his lips all night.
Like I'm back in Manhatten, KS, Elizabethtown, KY or Hinesville, GA listening to a local yokel station that can only afford to pay part time.
Well, according to your post, if The FAN brought in a couple of young, inexperienced, types, wouldn't that make us the "tiny market in the middle of nowhere" where these people start?

Instead, they brought in a couple of veteren guys from other large markets, and also some experienced homegrown guys.

I think it's the exact opposite of what you are saying.

But I do agree, I was listening to Filipony one night, and heard him making that sucking noise, and I had to change the channel. It got annoying.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

As was noted before Greg Gianotti was the "Chris Mack" of WFAN in New York.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loaf31
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Loaf31 »

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
greg is 6-10 and andrew fillipponi is 10-2 and i like them both
These are the only guys that I really do not like. Vinnie can be annoying, but I Pretty much like everyone else
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

I seriously rage every time I listen to Vinny and Cook talk about hockey. The other day they were blaming the Pens PP sucking last year on Gonchar not performing... guess they didn't do the research to see the PP clicked right around 20% with Gonchar in the line up and didn't research that Gonch was injured much of last year. Idiots.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by DudeMan2766 »

I just rage anytime I hear Vinnie say anything. He cant pronounce his 'S's correctly yet his the one that introduces the callers so he has to say the stations name every friggen time. Once again Vinnie, it's 93 7. Not niney tree sheven.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by PghSkins »

Are they doing anything to promote this station, like billboards, TV ads or anything? I get that Madden has a loyal following and the X has a big audience the rest of the day too, but how are they still losing to 1250, which you can't get a clean signal on farther out of town than the airport?

Cripes, they are getting schooled by Froggy Radio.

They need(ed) to shell out for Madden or at least Stan & Guy (which I guess is the answer to my question above). On the other hand, the station they picked up in DC has the long established Sports Junkies and pulled the exact same 1.3 as 93.7. I'd have thought they'd be beating The Team, which is owned by Dan Snyder. That ought to be a slam dunk, like if Nutting owned 1250.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Jesse »

Siebel and Starkey are good, but too scripted. They do the best interviews on the station, IMO, and ask the best questions.

My only issue is that they aren't free flowing enough. They are too formal. They have a plan and they refuse to veer off of it. I don't like it when they coach the callers on material.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Jesse wrote:Siebel and Starkey are good, but too scripted. They do the best interviews on the station, IMO, and ask the best questions.

My only issue is that they aren't free flowing enough. They are too formal. They have a plan and they refuse to veer off of it. I don't like it when they coach the callers on material.
Agree 100%. It really feels like it's a giant script, and I hate when they go " No what you meant to say Caller 1, is that they are doing this wrong" and then the caller just agrees in a half hearted way. If it's a station built on opinion, let the callers get their opinion out lol.
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Psychlone »

Did anyone hear the ABC interview with Neal Huntington this morning? I missed it.
tonysoprano
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by tonysoprano »

I think Seibel completely talks over Starkey, and that's bad, considering I feel Starkey is ten times more knowledgeable.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Eismann »

tonysoprano wrote:I think Seibel completely talks over Starkey, and that's bad, considering I feel Starkey is ten times more knowledgeable.
I agree. Seibel is a one-man show. That was his thing at ESPN, and it should be here. He's a very strong personality and can carry his own show. I really like Starkey, but there's not enough room for him with Seibel. Joe's weekend show is very enjoyable. If he has to get paired up with someone, it should be someone who's more of an emcee, less of an analyst or leader... Like Scott Paulsen. :pop:
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

I listen just to Stan and Guy from 10-2 and then Greg Giannoti on my way home from work.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Madden said his taped shows quadrupled the audience of his competition.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IronDukes37 »

PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Tangradi was on yesterday.
PensOnDVD
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by PensOnDVD »

Paul Zeise will soon move from 1250 to the Fan

It's like 93.7 WANTS to fail. Zeise knows PITT, but if they have him talking about other sports it's a waste of time.