Complaints, Suggestions, and Ideas

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Complaints, Suggestions, and Ideas

Post by Malkamaniac »

Lol
Corvidae wrote:If you can't sign up. DO NOT play.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

The mod auto kill for non participation seemed to work wonders with getting people more active.

What ever happened to that?
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

dagny wrote:The mod auto kill for non participation seemed to work wonders with getting people more active.

Being quiet became a strategy.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

jaysmiter wrote:
dagny wrote:The mod auto kill for non participation seemed to work wonders with getting people more active.

Being quiet became a strategy.
Probably related to the "lynching people who post a lot" thing that kept happening.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I guess I'll throw my hat in since I started this.

**** happens. A family member dies or gets sick. You have to go on some type of business trip. You get a new job that doesn't involve computers. This is life.

However, if you find out that you can no longer participate in the game, the correct thing is to contact the game mods and inform them of this. The mods may either remove you from the game, or find a replacement player - either is suitable. Even if you are a RP, random.org can redistribute said role. Do *NOT* post in the thread "I am just blue, take me out" - contact the mods and work with them.

We did this once before in a game some time back and it worked out great. IIRC, Jose filled in for Corvi in that instance (was Nintendo mafia maybe?). This is the most 'honorable' thing to do.

in fact, it may be worth it to start recruiting one or two "backup" players per game... ie. you are going to be away when the game starts, but 4 days later, you'll be back.

Also, I think we need to institute some type of limit for not posting. Nothing ridiculous - it can't be cycle based because I know there have been times I missed 2 or 3 cycles while busy @ work. If you can't make at least a couple posts per IRL day though, you probably shouldn't be playing.

Some discussion on the topic is welcome... I plan on using some variation of those rules in Lost Wars, so please speak your mind.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by npv708 »

I really think we need a long break before the next one.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

I think posting rules/time limits/whatever...

These should definitely be created and clearly laid out by the game creator.

If you don't like the rules, don't sign up. If you do sign up and have a problem with the rules...too bad.

I dunno.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

npv708 wrote:I really think we need a long break before the next one.
We don't need a long break. People who are burned out can take a game off. No need for people to join in and not participate.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

Kicksave wrote:
We don't need a long break. People who are burned out can take a game off. No need for people to join in and not participate.
Yeah, I thought a break would be good for people...but if people WANT to play...there's no reason there can't be a game running.

The key is "want." If you don't want to play, don't sign up. If you think you might not want to play halfway through...don't sign up.

Pretty simple, really.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

As I said in the Game signup thread - we are not starting Lost Wars until after the playoffs. Someone else is welcome to runa game in the meantime if they choose (and there is enough interest).

I'm going to take a break, but that doesn't mean everyone has to.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Kicksave wrote:
I agree. I'm willing to play. If there is not enough interest, then the game can be delayed. But if everyone signs up, and there is interest, then why take a break if only a few people want to. Let it be the players choice.

I do agree though, if you are going to get bored or not want to play the whole way through, don't sign up to just sign up.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

as a village, we're really bad at killing of fthe active peopel early so the end of games suck hard.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

Kicksave wrote:as a village, we're really bad at killing of fthe active peopel early so the end of games suck hard.
I went through a stretch to try to bandwagon quiet types at the beginning, to either a) get them more active or b) not have to deal with no activity at the end of the game, but very few followed or were on board, so I gave up.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

I say we introduce "the Silence Monster." Each post you make takes you farther away from him. If you have none or less than 3 in 2 or 3 days, he devours you and marries your mom.

Silence Monster...

...srs bznz
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

Corvidae wrote:I say we introduce "the Silence Monster." Each post you make takes you farther away from him. If you have none or less than 3 in 2 or 3 days, he devours you and marries your mom.
I kind of like that.

Even when I was sick during Slug Wars I, I still managed to get on and post as much as I could. There are people in the current game who aren't even posting once a day or are only posting to vote. it's lame. :thumbdown:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

Corvidae wrote:I say we introduce "the Silence Monster." Each post you make takes you farther away from him. If you have none or less than 3 in 2 or 3 days, he devours you and marries your mom.

Silence Monster...

...srs bznz
:thumb: :thumb:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

wallflower wrote:
I kind of like that.

Even when I was sick during Slug Wars I, I still managed to get on and post as much as I could. There are people in the current game who aren't even posting once a day or are only posting to vote. it's lame. :thumbdown:
There are a few who haven't posted in 3 day phases.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

Malkamaniac wrote:
wallflower wrote:
I kind of like that.

There are a few who haven't posted in 3 day phases.
FTR, I would've sent PMs warning those individuals and if they didn't start participating, I'd mod-kill them hardcore. 8-)

There is "strategy" in being quiet and there's being a total *Hartnell*nugget by not participating at all. This game is falling in the latter category.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

FTR, I would've sent PMs warning those individuals and if they didn't start participating, I'd mod-kill them hardcore. 8-)

There is "strategy" in being quiet and there's being a total *Hartnell*nugget by not participating at all. This game is falling in the latter category.
It's to the max personally, and like it was mentioned before, I understand the crazy stuff, but in Patricks case, and even a even two or 3 others. if you're not going to post, don't play.
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

It's not even so much posting, it's voting.

If you want to be quiet, fine.

But if you are not going to ever vote, especially towards the end when the vote matters big time, then why even play?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Malkamaniac »

newarenanow wrote:It's not even so much posting, it's voting.

But if you are not going to ever vote, especially towards the end when the vote matters big time, then why even play?
What sucks, especially in this last game, is that the non actives practically decided the game for us. The bads just stacked and rode it out.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

newarenanow wrote:It's not even so much posting, it's voting.

Yeah...there is no excuse that deep into the game for someone to say "I'm not voting. I have no idea what's going on."

I really think people sign-up, expecting to be gone the first day or two. When I sign up, I expect to be there until the end. Everyone else should do the same.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

The expectations are high for Lost Wars (even though I admit that I don't know anything about it other than it's a TV show). That really shouldn't start until after the playoffs.

But if folks want to play, I can put together a game and have a sign-up thread posted by tonight. Even if there's only a dozen or so players, that's OK as long as they're serious players.

Any real interest?
newarenanow
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by newarenanow »

redwill wrote:The expectations are high for Lost Wars (even though I admit that I don't know anything about it other than it's a TV show). That really shouldn't start until after the playoffs.

But if folks want to play, I can put together a game and have a sign-up thread posted by tonight. Even if there's only a dozen or so players, that's OK as long as they're serious players.

Any real interest?
I'd be interested. Just put up a sign up thread, and if no one jumps, we can play after Lost wars.

Maybe do an old school version like Juice introduced. Nothing crazy.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

I should add that I don't wish to jump the line of Pavel's "waiting to mod" thread. If someone on that list is ready and wants to go, then OK. Otherwise, I'll just put up a quick gap-filler game for the happy folks who just wanna have fun.