Idea for slow RPs...

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Idea for slow RPs...

Post by Corvidae »

:shock: Stop Corvidae! He's the Einstein!
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

jaysmiter wrote:
bhaw wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:OK...then don't play in or take a role in a game that has a lower time limit.

Complaining about a lower time limit is the same as complaining about a higher time limit.
I probably won't. Just saying that lower limits means your penalizing people for having life happen.
How is having lower limits penalizing people for "having life happen"? If something happens, shoot me a PM and we can work something out, secretly. If you can't make the deadline for some reason, we can work something out, secretly. It's not rocket surgery. If you're a bad guy, you have other people to work with that could fill in. If you're the angel, you're going to protect yourself (and if you have a different idea, send it to me before "life happens"), if you're the seer or the vig...take a guess, you'll do that anyway. I'm sure any other mod would feel the same way and do the same stuff...in fact, I know I've had some times when I needed to send PMs, but knew I wasn't going to be around and worked something out with the mod previously (or my team). It's not hard.

Oh, and if "life happens" so hard, the last thing you should be worrying about is this game, no matter what the time limit is. "Life happened" to NAN last game and he gave up his position. Probably didn't have to, but he did. (was it NAN, I forget already)

(the "you's" are general, by the way)
The limits are in place to keep the game flowing as is. If "life happens" and a deadline is missed the game is supposed to continue whether all RPer PMs are in or not. As for trivializing the actions of RPers like you did that's again not how the game is played or meant to be played. Not everyone uses every role the same so to say that the Angel is just going to protect themselves or that the Seer is just going to guess is not even close to correct. The game is played in such a way that strategy should be continually evolving not set in stone. That's what makes these games fun, the constant change in things happening and the critical thinking it should trigger.

That being said. If you are a mod please lay out all the rules to your game in the first post of the sign-up and game-play thread. It makes things very clear for everyone.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

I was just generalizing. Time limits only tend to be an issue on the first few days...when guess what...those generalized statements are more truthful than on the 8th day of gameplay.

I definitely plan on spelling out all of the rules in play that need to be public.

And, bhaw...I'm not not listening to your dissenting opinion, but you obviously aren't listening to anyone else's opinion. So, pot...meet kettle.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

jaysmiter wrote:I was just generalizing. Time limits only tend to be an issue on the first few days...when guess what...those generalized statements are more truthful than on the 8th day of gameplay.

I definitely plan on spelling out all of the rules in play that need to be public.

And, bhaw...I'm not not listening to your dissenting opinion, but you obviously aren't listening to anyone else's opinion. So, pot...meet kettle.
dagny wrote:
LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA la la la la la la la la la la la la.....
Spoiler:
ENOUGH!!!
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

why?
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Corvidae wrote:why?
why ask why?

try bud dry.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Bud? Pffft. I drink Duff.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

:pop:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

wallflower wrote: :slug:
:scared:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

jaysmiter wrote:And, bhaw...I'm not not listening to your dissenting opinion, but you obviously aren't listening to anyone else's opinion. So, pot...meet kettle.
Umm. ok?
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

Hi
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Juice »

:slug:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but there needs to be a better balance. Very short night time limits obviously affect the bad players adversely. However, when the nights consistently last 8-12 hours it goes too far the other way. People get too anxious and the next day tends to fly by with very little thought.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

the wicked child wrote:I'm not sure what the right answer is, but there needs to be a better balance. Very short night time limits obviously affect the bad players adversely. However, when the nights consistently last 8-12 hours it goes too far the other way. People get too anxious and the next day tends to fly by with very little thought.
ding ding ding
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

the wicked child wrote:I'm not sure what the right answer is, but there needs to be a better balance. Very short night time limits obviously affect the bad players adversely. However, when the nights consistently last 8-12 hours it goes too far the other way. People get too anxious and the next day tends to fly by with very little thought.
Ok, well i won't get into it more, but it seems like this whole thing is an overreaction to it happening all of twice this game. And you can probably count on one the number of times it's taken that long in the past 10 games.

disclaimer: I'm not whining or being un-open to your input. I'm just curious as to how often this is actually happening that it needs to be addressed. Make whatever rules you want as a mod.
Twisted Wrister
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Twisted Wrister »

Blame it on the mods :pop:

I'm trying not to have time limits because they are stupid. People are just overreacting because we only go through 1 day phase and 1 night phase a day. Which is fine with me, if i was playing. There were some days that went with 3 or 4 day/night phases and totally ruins the game for others. Slower games should be more participation from all, but this is not day phases are over in like 2 hours and then we wait for RP's forever.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

The people get anxious comment is true but again you guys signed up for whatever game you were playing. This isn't even mentioning that if you can't wait twelve hours for the next phase to begin that this game is most likely not for you. Along with the critical thinking I mentioned earlier patience is a part of this game and actually gives you time to look things over. It's only a bigger issue here because people can't keep their mouths shut at night. Any other place you would play this game the threads are locked at night.(the man/woman power here doesn't allow for that I understand that) However it's not the mod of the game or the RPers faults that people can't wait up to 12 hours for the next phase to begin.

As for not having any time limits... that's again up to the mod and it was stated before the game however time limits are in place for the game to continue. Given that can be tweaked at times for day phases especially in the end game. However night phases should ALWAYS have a time limit.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

jaysmiter wrote:Here's my plan for next round...fast time limits for RPs but, after doing my random.org, I plan on sending feeler PMs. They would state something like "You have been selected to be an RP, do you have the time/do you want to do it?"

If they answer yes, their role is revealed. If no, they will be assigned to a regular villager.

Can anyone see any major flaws in this plan that I can't because I thought of it?
As long as you dont send that PM at 9pm I think it's fair.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

PensFanInDC wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:Here's my plan for next round...fast time limits for RPs but, after doing my random.org, I plan on sending feeler PMs. They would state something like "You have been selected to be an RP, do you have the time/do you want to do it?"

If they answer yes, their role is revealed. If no, they will be assigned to a regular villager.

Can anyone see any major flaws in this plan that I can't because I thought of it?
As long as you dont send that PM at 9pm I think it's fair.
:thumb:
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

I'm really just baffled that 12 hours at most is too long for people. That being said I guess it can't hurt to try this "speed" format. It will be easier to pick out RPers though considering it's pretty widely known who's online a lot and who isn't.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

Pavel Bure wrote:I'm really just baffled that 12 hours at most is too long for people. That being said I guess it can't hurt to try this "speed" format. It will be easier to pick out RPers though considering it's pretty widely known who's online a lot and who isn't.
Because, Pavel...apparently, that's how most of us on this board like to play. That might not be the case everywhere else, but that's how a good portion of us enjoy it.

Also, I'm not quite sure how 8 hours is a "speed" format.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

jaysmiter wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I'm really just baffled that 12 hours at most is too long for people. That being said I guess it can't hurt to try this "speed" format. It will be easier to pick out RPers though considering it's pretty widely known who's online a lot and who isn't.
Because, Pavel...apparently, that's how most of us on this board like to play. That might not be the case everywhere else, but that's how a good portion of us enjoy it.

Also, I'm not quite sure how 8 hours is a "speed" format.
Like I said if it works, it works. And 8 hours really isn't that much of a shortening. Just doesn't make sense how impatient people are that a 4 hour difference in deadlines would be that big of a deal. I will say it doesn't give everyone equal opportunity to be a RPer which is the basis for the random picking. Might as well try it though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Fwiw I somewhat changed my opinion in this subject now that I had a chance to be bad.

I still think 12 Hours is excessive but I thought jays 8 hour night with freezing the clock between midnight and 9 AM was pretty much perfect.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

the wicked child wrote:Fwiw I somewhat changed my opinion in this subject now that I had a chance to be bad.

I still think 12 Hours is excessive but I thought jays 8 hour night with freezing the clock between midnight and 9 AM was pretty much perfect.
Agreed. I think this game was the smoothest run, of them all. Enforcing no night talking, while I hate it, does make the RPers get their PMs in, too.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

dagny wrote:Agreed. I think this game was the smoothest run, of them all. Enforcing no night talking, while I hate it, does make the RPers get their PMs in, too.
Funny you say that because I purposely didn't send my NAN kill in until the early morn the next day so you couldn't post all night again. :slug: