Idea for slow RPs...

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Idea for slow RPs...

Post by Corvidae »

Have a fluxing time limit. For example, if the Day ends at noon on Monday, I'd want to PMs in by 3 so we can actually go through more than half a round in a freakin' work day. Time limits would be longer after 5.

But, to give RPs a better chance in case they actually are away, give the backup rolls, like nurse and assistant, the ability to send PMs if the time limit is near. Or they can send them in whenever they want and will only be used if the main RP is MIA.

Too often do RPs drag out these games, and sometimes on purpose.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Idea for slow RPs...

Post by wallflower »

twc and I were discussing this same idea last night. :scared:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

wallflower wrote:twc and I were discussing this same idea last night. :scared:
i iz in ur brain, nomin' ur IDers
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Corvidae wrote:
wallflower wrote:twc and I were discussing this same idea last night. :scared:
i iz in ur brain, nomin' ur IDers
:slug:
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

Here's my plan for next round...fast time limits for RPs but, after doing my random.org, I plan on sending feeler PMs. They would state something like "You have been selected to be an RP, do you have the time/do you want to do it?"

If they answer yes, their role is revealed. If no, they will be assigned to a regular villager.

Can anyone see any major flaws in this plan that I can't because I thought of it?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

Sounds like a good idea to me...
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

I think that's a really good idea. :thumb:

It still makes me sad that we need time limits at all though. :thumbdown:
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Again I say everyone knows time limits at the start of games. They aren't secret. If you sign up for a game you know what the time limits are. If you don't like the limits then don't play. Most of all don't complain about a game's time limits that you are not running. It's bad form, not to mention as a RPer it's their right to take right up to the deadline if they wish again because these limits were set before the game was started and everyone that signed up for the game agreed on the set limits.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

I think people need to be patient. I mean, we have people complaining in the current game after an hour or two. Life happens. Just because someone has time right now doesn't mean something won't come up to hold them back and extra few hours.

The point of the game isn't to be done in 2 days.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

bhaw wrote:I think people need to be patient. I mean, we have people complaining in the current game after an hour or two. Life happens. Just because someone has time right now doesn't mean something won't come up to hold them back and extra few hours.

I agree with the patience thing, but I also don't think 12 hours to send in a PM is necessary. I just think that's a bit long. I'm thinking 6 hours is long enough for 4 people to send in a PM.

I also agree with Pavel...I sign up to play the game knowing the rules in advance. If I didn't want to play with that long of a time limit, I wouldn't play. I don't think I've ever complained about the RPs in the game thread, and I'm not really complaining now. Just stating what I would do. It doesn't really bother me either way. If the RPs take their sweet time, it at least gets me off the computer and doing something productive while I wait.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

jaysmiter wrote:
bhaw wrote:I think people need to be patient. I mean, we have people complaining in the current game after an hour or two. Life happens. Just because someone has time right now doesn't mean something won't come up to hold them back and extra few hours.

I agree with the patience thing, but I also don't think 12 hours to send in a PM is necessary. I just think that's a bit long. I'm thinking 6 hours is long enough for 4 people to send in a PM.

I also agree with Pavel...I sign up to play the game knowing the rules in advance. If I didn't want to play with that long of a time limit, I wouldn't play. I don't think I've ever complained about the RPs in the game thread, and I'm not really complaining now. Just stating what I would do. It doesn't really bother me either way. If the RPs take their sweet time, it at least gets me off the computer and doing something productive while I wait.
6 hours... let's say you have an afternoon meeting then dinner with your family then a 30 min drive home...

12 hours makes sense because it allows for people to not feel they have to check in every half hour and worry about missing something in case something comes up.

You also gotta figure that the 12 hours allows for some strategy to take place.

I just think it's silly to worry about a 12 hour time limit because it rarely becomes an issue, and when it does, it's probably for good reason. The game is going to suck if we are constantly missing rp actions for the sake of giving people instant gratification.

I mean, we used to not even have time limits and we lowered it to 12 hours because people were complaining it was too long before. Now people are complaining 12 hours is too long. Next it will be 6 hours is too long and the only way we can play is if people can dedicate to being on the computer 24/7. these are leisure games to kill time...

My two cents.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

OK...then don't play in or take a role in a game that has a lower time limit.

Complaining about a lower time limit is the same as complaining about a higher time limit.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Pavel Bure wrote:Again I say everyone knows time limits at the start of games. They aren't secret. If you sign up for a game you know what the time limits are. If you don't like the limits then don't play. Most of all don't complain about a game's time limits that you are not running. It's bad form, not to mention as a RPer it's their right to take right up to the deadline if they wish again because these limits were set before the game was started and everyone that signed up for the game agreed on the set limits.
I agree, up to the current game. This one is a little frustrating because they are time 'whim'its. :wink:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

jaysmiter wrote:OK...then don't play in or take a role in a game that has a lower time limit.

Complaining about a lower time limit is the same as complaining about a higher time limit.
I probably won't. Just saying that lower limits means your penalizing people for having life happen.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

bhaw wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:OK...then don't play in or take a role in a game that has a lower time limit.

I probably won't. Just saying that lower limits means your penalizing people for having life happen.
How is having lower limits penalizing people for "having life happen"? If something happens, shoot me a PM and we can work something out, secretly. If you can't make the deadline for some reason, we can work something out, secretly. It's not rocket surgery. If you're a bad guy, you have other people to work with that could fill in. If you're the angel, you're going to protect yourself (and if you have a different idea, send it to me before "life happens"), if you're the seer or the vig...take a guess, you'll do that anyway. I'm sure any other mod would feel the same way and do the same stuff...in fact, I know I've had some times when I needed to send PMs, but knew I wasn't going to be around and worked something out with the mod previously (or my team). It's not hard.

Oh, and if "life happens" so hard, the last thing you should be worrying about is this game, no matter what the time limit is. "Life happened" to NAN last game and he gave up his position. Probably didn't have to, but he did. (was it NAN, I forget already)

(the "you's" are general, by the way)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

^ but that's what I'm saying... I don't know ahead of time if something's going to come up. It would make things go faster if the rps just laid out their actions for the entire game at the beginning too.

I understand i'm in the minority and people would prefer the rps to send their stuff within 3 minutes of the day write up, but it seems to be killing the point of these games to try and rush them in simply to satisfy people's impatience. If those are the rules, that's fine... I just won't play in the games anymore if I can't get away with not constantly monitoring the thread to see if a write up happened.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

ok
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

jaysmiter wrote:ok
fine then.

I'll also say that reducing the time is a much bigger detriment to the bad guys than the good guys. It's going to take a lot of strategy out of the game, IMO.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by jaysmiter »

bhaw wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:ok
fine then.

I'll also say that reducing the time is a much bigger detriment to the bad guys than the good guys. It's going to take a lot of strategy out of the game, IMO.
Well, don't worry...I have plans on how to even things out...but if the team of bad guys needs 12 hours to form a strategy for that night...those are some pisspoor bad guys. You can talk all throughout the day phase...you have 6 hours of a night phase.

I dunno. I'm done trying to talk to you about this. If you don't like rule x or rule y don't play those games. DONE AND DONE
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Well considering I thought this thread was for people to put their thoughts out there, I don't see why it was a problem that I did. If we wanted a cheerleading thread about reworking the game to go as fast as possible, label it that way.
Well, don't worry...I have plans on how to even things out...but if the team of bad guys needs 12 hours to form a strategy for that night...those are some pisspoor bad guys.
You're right... this isn't an issue if everyone is on at the same time when the write up happens (but, again, I'd ask how often the rps ever intentionally hold up the game... the delays are usually b/c of the things I'm pointing out: either other stuff happens during the day that takes priority or the bad guys have to chat a little). But if people have different schedules, it's not that hard to see how time could be tight to get everyone's input. It's not like I'm saying they need to talk for 12 hours to figure things out, but it could easily take more than 6 hours for them all to connect with each other over a few back and forth PMs.

I already said that you can do whatever you want, but if you're already decided on what you want to do, why put it out there for discussion? If you don't want opposing view points, just make your rules and go with it. Not everyone playing thinks the rps taking more than a couple hours is ridiculous. It seems like you want everyone to predetermine their night actions before the day phase even plays out.
Last edited by bhaw on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Ahem.... enough bickering.

Remember what I said about HAVING FUN?!

You WILL have FUN in this forum, and you'll like it! Image
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

dagny wrote:Ahem.... enough bickering.

I'm trying... I just don't understand why it's wrong to have a dissenting opinion about the "slow" rps. I thought I pointing out pretty valid things about this game not being anyone's life priority and that 6 hours is pretty easy for someone in college to sleep through after a night of drinking or for someone to not be around if they have to head out unexpectedly.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

bhaw wrote:
dagny wrote:Ahem.... enough bickering.

I'm trying... I just don't understand why it's wrong to have a dissenting opinion about the "slow" rps. I thought I pointing out pretty valid things about this game not being anyone's life priority and that 6 hours is pretty easy for someone in college to sleep through after a night of drinking or for someone to not be around if they have to head out unexpectedly.
LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA la la la la la la la la la la la la.....

I can't hear you, I'm spinning in circles with my fingers in my ears.... having fun! :P :wink:

little dizzy now
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Time Wars?! Stop bhaw! I'm the Einstein and my equations show that he's a Langolier!
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by bhaw »

Corvidae wrote:Time Wars?! Stop bhaw! I'm the Einstein and my equations show that he's a Langolier!
I'm pretty sure your role as Einstein is bad. Here is the evidence:

[youtube][/youtube]