LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by DelPen »

Firebird wrote:Oh, how awsome would it be for the libs to delay this election.
There will be riots in the streets
Not that it matters, the fill in term is over today anyways.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Firebird »

HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

DelPen wrote:Most of the country is fiscally conservative and socially liberal.
Which, of course, explains why they keep electing religious conservatives who run up massive deficits.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

HomerPenguin wrote:Which, of course, explains why they keep electing religious conservatives who run up massive deficits.
Scott Brown is not a religious conservative...he's a fiscal conservative
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

shafnutz05 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:Which, of course, explains why they keep electing religious conservatives who run up massive deficits.
Scott Brown is not a religious conservative...he's a fiscal conservative
Who said I was talking about Scott Brown?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

From what it sounds like, he is fiscally very conservative
I barely heard of him before today but he supports spending more troops to Afghanistan and cap and trade on a local level, correct? So, where does the fiscal conservative part come in?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

HomerPenguin wrote:
Which, of course, explains why they keep electing religious conservatives who run up massive deficits.
:lol:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

I couldn't care less about Scott Brown, so long as he represents some small obstacle to the ruling party's objectives. It sounds to me like he is pretty much a party-line neocon, like most of the rest of the Republicans.

In lieu of an actual limited government option, which no one in Washington seems to believe in, I hope for gridlock. Hearing politicians complain about not being able to "get anything done" is sweet music to my ears.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kraftster »

Guinness wrote:I couldn't care less about Scott Brown, so long as he represents some small obstacle to the ruling party's objectives. It sounds to me like he is pretty much a party-line neocon, like most of the rest of the Republicans.

In lieu of an actual limited government option, which no one in Washington seems to believe in, I hope for gridlock. Hearing politicians complain about not being able to "get anything done" is sweet music to my ears.
I can appreciate that approach, but, its less palatable if the status quo is dysfunctional.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31693.html

Even as America (through the microcosm of the Massachusetts election) sent a strong message to Barack Obama that we don't want his damned healthcare bill, he pledges that it shall be done. I am convinced this is more about ideology than intelligence anymore. The fact that the Democrats will stop at NOTHING to ram this through...even as two-thirds of the country strongly disapprove of the bill, should tell you something. Just gotta hold out 9 1/2 months.....I hope we can last that long.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

HomerPenguin wrote:
If you're talking presidents I'm guessing you're starting off with Bush the lesser(as they used to say in the old days); I'd say you're correct there. But what's the keep on electing religious conservatives as if there's a string of presidents that fit your description? Bush the greater or the older didn't refer to himself as born again or act any more religious than Obama or Clinton. BTW Obama was preaching at a church on MLK day which I guess makes him a religious liberal who runs up massive deficits; not sure if that's somehow better than the holy Bush.
Carter probably was the most religious-acting president in the last 40 years.
Reagan didn't act like a Holy Joe; he was criticized by some for rarely ging to church.Ford wasn't elected and many people figure if Nixon was really religious it was as a satanic cult member.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Geezer wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
If you're talking presidents I'm guessing you're starting off with Bush the lesser(as they used to say in the old days); I'd say you're correct there. But what's the keep on electing religious conservatives as if there's a string of presidents that fit your description? Bush the greater or the older didn't refer to himself as born again or act any more religious than Obama or Clinton. BTW Obama was preaching at a church on MLK day which I guess makes him a religious liberal who runs up massive deficits; not sure if that's somehow better than the holy Bush.
Carter probably was the most religious-acting president in the last 40 years.
Reagan didn't act like a Holy Joe; he was criticized by some for rarely ging to church.Ford wasn't elected and many people figure if Nixon was really religious it was as a satanic cult member.
I kind of took it as referring to our habit of electing social busy-body's and, vis-a-vis the purse strings, drunken sailors. They may not be "religious", per se, but they sure don't do anything about all the morality laws on the books. This refers to presidents, representatives, and senators, of course.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Guinness wrote:I kind of took it as referring to our habit of electing social busy-body's and, vis-a-vis the purse strings, drunken sailors. They may not be "religious", per se, but they sure don't do anything about all the morality laws on the books. This refers to presidents, representatives, and senators, of course.
This, mostly. Though not only do they not do anything about those morality laws, they actively support them, since many of them are beholden to whatever shady Christian fundamentalist group is ruling DC at the time.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

HomerPenguin wrote:since many of them are beholden to whatever shady Christian fundamentalist group is ruling DC at the time.
Your hatred of anything religious shines through beautifully in this ridiculous statement. Most of America is socially more liberal these days. Just because someone is pro-life doesn't make them a "shady Christian fundamentalist". Maybe they just think that the murder of unborn children is wrong? Same with cloning, etc....opposition to such things does not have to be on religious grounds.

In 2008, America elected the most liberal Congress in moder history. Yeah, those shady Christian fundamentalists really have DC under their boot heel :roll:
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Once again, Pat Buchanan is right on the money. Especially the last bit.

Is America Moving Right?
by Patrick J. Buchanan
01/19/2010

Whether or not Republican Scott Brown captures the Senate seat in Massachusetts today, his surging and successful campaign is a fire bell in the night for the Party of Government.

For Brown has run as an independent, an outsider, a protest candidate. His principal target: the health care reform bill that is the altarpiece of the Barack Obama presidency and lifetime achievement of Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi.

For a full year, Obama, Reid, Pelosi and the leading acolytes of their party and media auxiliaries have been selling this plan as a historic Democratic reform to rival the Civil Rights Act and Social Security.

Yet in this Kennedy compound, the only state to be carried by George McGovern, people want to take this bill out to the crossroads at midnight and kill it. Brown made this race competitive by promising to bring the wooden stake to drive through its heart.

How Democratic is Massachusetts?

Democratic registration is three times that of the Republicans. The party controls both houses of the legislature by huge margins, and holds every statewide office, both U.S. Senate seats and all 10 U.S. House seats. Massachusetts is a Democrat fiefdom, a one-party state.

Independents, however, outnumber Democrats, an indication of the growing disillusionment with both national parties in America

What, then, is the message out of Massachusetts?

For Democrats, the only good news is they got this wake-up call in January. They are on notice now that if they push their health care reform plan to passage and attempt to ride to victory on Democratic registration this fall, they could be vulnerable in almost every state.

Massachusetts today is conclusive evidence that Obama and his party misread the election returns of 2008.

By November, George W. Bush was at 27 percent; 80 percent thought the country was headed in the wrong direction; 92 percent thought the economy was poor or worse. As James Carville said, if the party can't win with these numbers, it ought to go into a new line of work.

The one attribute Americans wanted most in its next president was that he be for "change." And Obama had cornered the market on change, while John McCain had voted 90 percent with Bush.

But instead of seeing the election as a repudiation of the Bush Republicans, Obama, Pelosi and Reid read it as an embrace of their wonderful selves and a national cry for more government.

Following Rahm's Rule -- never let a crisis go to waste! -- Obama and his party took the collapse of the banks and spreading economic chaos to attempt the greatest leap forward in federal power since World War II.

Most Americans understood candidate Obama's health care plans to mean that folks who could not afford care would be able to get it, whatever their conditions. As the plan evolved, however, it grew in the eyes of the public into precisely what the Tea Party and town-hall protesters said it was: a federal takeover of one-sixth of the economy. Bureaucrats would decide who gets what care, when and for how long. And a panoply of new taxes, fees and regulations would be imposed, producing a revenue windfall for the federal government and a quantum leap in power for federal bureaucrats.

What Massachusetts is telling the nation is that the Tea Party people have won the argument, America doesn't want this bill and either put it down or we remember in November.

Indeed, the crisis of the Democratic Party today may be found in a story this Monday by CNS.

It seems that an ABC/Washington Post poll found that, when asked, "Generally speaking, would you say you favor smaller government with fewer services or larger government with more services?" 58 percent of Americans favored smaller government with fewer services to 38 percent who favor more government and more services.

The Post, however, reportedly saw fit not to mention the results of this question in its news story about the poll.

Which is understandable. Why would you publish a poll that says three in five Americans reject your political philosophy?

In the near term, what is happening in Massachusetts is good news for the GOP.

What it says is that, no matter the weakness of the party label or brand, independents will vote Republican if that is the only alternative to the party in power.

The GOP can thus run this fall as the only effective force left in Washington that can block the Democrats' drive for power. The GOP problem arises when the presidential season begins in spring 2011.

For what Republican ran last time for cutting back George Bush's big government? Who ran against expansion of NATO into Ukraine and Georgia? Who opposed war in Iraq? Who stood up and said no to No Child Left Behind or Medicare coverage of prescription drugs?

Who in the Republican Party today is calling for a Barry Goldwater-like rollback of federal power and federal programs? Except Ron Paul.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by Troy Loney »

shafnutz05 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:since many of them are beholden to whatever shady Christian fundamentalist group is ruling DC at the time.
Your hatred of anything religious shines through beautifully in this ridiculous statement. Most of America is socially more liberal these days. Just because someone is pro-life doesn't make them a "shady Christian fundamentalist". Maybe they just think that the murder of unborn children is wrong? Same with cloning, etc....opposition to such things does not have to be on religious grounds.

In 2008, America elected the most liberal Congress in moder history. Yeah, those shady Christian fundamentalists really have DC under their boot heel :roll:

Who said anything about abortion?

And maybe america elected the most liberal congress in history is a direct reflection of their disapproval for the prior elected officials....i think religious ideals only influence a minority of voters in this country...they're the ones who keep brining religion into the debate...it's really pretty convenient, they can just deem people as non-religious when they disagree with them.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Troy Loney wrote: Who said anything about abortion?

And maybe america elected the most liberal congress in history is a direct reflection of their disapproval for the prior elected officials....i think religious ideals only influence a minority of voters in this country...they're the ones who keep brining religion into the debate...it's really pretty convenient, they can just deem people as non-religious when they disagree with them.
This election was about jobs. Jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs. No one cares about anything else. If the dems don't figure that out by November and seek some Robespierre-esque populist revenge against those responsible (Wall Street, Barney Frank, et. al.) and implement serious reforms, they are done.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

AlexPKeaton wrote:

This election was about jobs. Jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs. No one cares about anything else. If the dems don't figure that out by November and seek some Robespierre-esque populist revenge against those responsible (Wall Street, Barney Frank, et. al.) and implement serious reforms, they are done.
They're worried about jobs. Now. They're worried about how they just lost 348239048 of them when their crappy federal healthcare doctors were elminated last night.

If their healthcare ever gets passed, you're going to go into a hospital, get treated, get funded by the ACORN office, and vote in the same hallway.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

AlexPKeaton wrote:

Which Scott Brown and the Republicans will be able to do becasue they had so much success before? How long is this game going to continue?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

doublem wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

Which Scott Brown and the Republicans will be able to do becasue they had so much success before? How long is this game going to continue?
At least Scott Brown will stop this health care nonsense that people don't want right now.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

AlexPKeaton wrote:At least Scott Brown will stop this health care nonsense that people don't want right now.
Exactly...killing the healthcare bill along with cap and trade legislation is going to save thousands of jobs alone.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Who? And when has it ever mattered what the American people wanted? It's not like the health care bill was that great from the start.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

shafnutz05 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:At least Scott Brown will stop this health care nonsense that people don't want right now.
Exactly...killing the healthcare bill along with cap and trade legislation is going to save thousands of jobs alone.
We shall see when unemployment is still in the double digits after health care bill is killed and the heroic Scott Brown saves the day.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

doublem wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
We shall see when unemployment is still in the double digits after health care bill is killed and the heroic Scott Brown saves the day.
Scott Brown is not the majority party in both houses of Congress. It is their mandate to fix the economy, not ***** around with healthcare. And they haven't done jack and crap about the economy except pass a ridiculous credit card bill that does nothing except force all the credit card companies to jack up rates before it takes effect, further hurting the economy.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by AlexPKeaton »

Watch this it is hilarious.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/121760/the-da ... ours?c=147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;