Hollywood Wars: Game Thread

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Hollywood Wars: Game Thread

Post by slappybrown »

thehockeyguru wrote:
dagny wrote:First of all, people have been told to hide their online statuses, ad nauseum. Newer players have been directed to read old game threads and the original rules, repeatedly.

It is fair game.

I never even thought to look at the whose online section, myself. I don't hide my status because that would make me look more suspicious. Bottom line, hiding your status when you're playing this game has been heavily encouraged. Some people do, some don't, but to call it unethical, when it's within the parameters of the game, just cuz you got tripped up, is the definition of sour grapes. Take your lumps. Lesson learned, right?

Also, it is still a calculated risk. Just because someone is PMing doesn't tell you anything other than, really, that they're PMing. What if THG was a good role player? I also saw MWB PMing, voted for him, then caught up with his posts and realized, if he's a RP, he's probably good, so unvoted him. I saw the wicked child PMing, a lot, got all excited I found another, then looked at the list and saw he wasn't even playing. :lol:

With Redwill, I was just convinced he was bad by his posting. I don't know how to explain it, but I never caught him PMing. Same with Kicksave, his posting just sent off alarm bells, I never saw him PM.

Pavel has brought us a whole new way of playing this game, opened up so much more, and discovered things we never thought of. Don't hate just cuz you didn't figure it out. :P
This post is filled with so much BS i needed put a hankie over my nose so I could finish reading it.
I've played in probably 6 or 7 games, and I don't remember the hide your status thing, nor remember seeing it in old games instructions when I first tried to learn the game.

Additionally, on one hand, you seem to imply that from the start of the games on here, people have been told that (presumably to avoid people knowing they were writing PMs) but on the other hand you are implying that Pavel told you about it (I've been told he is the one who discovered it and told you about it). If no one ever used/was aware of this trick before, then I am not sure what people being previously told about online status has much to do with anything.

No one is "hating" because they didn't figure it out; or at least, I am not. The reason some people -- including people who weren't negatively impacted by the "trick" in any way -- think its shady is because it clearly has nothing to do with what is (or is not posted) in the game thread/forums.

The fact that only some people knew about it and it was a big secret just reinforces the shady aspect of it.

And finally, just because its not conclusive, its certainly pretty useful in building a list of possible bad guys and/or RPs, especially over time. Don't "hate" because some people found what you did shady. :lol:
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Corvidae wrote:Wait, PM section of the board? Where is this place?
:scared:
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

Corvidae wrote:
i think its a place where only the clique has access

:pop:
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

People have been told to hide their statuses. Pavel is just the one who thought enough to click on the who's online section. Thus, the discovery was made. It wasn't gonna stay "secret", because those of us who knew were inevitably going to be on the same team with other players, and bound to share it.

There was no cheating, no breach of ethics. If your status was hidden, as has been encouraged, which is why so many players' statuses are hidden, then the "trick" wouldn't work anyway.

It is within game parameters. Quit crying.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

dagny wrote:People have been told to hide their statuses. Pavel is just the one who thought enough to click on the who's online section. Thus, the discovery was made. It wasn't gonna stay "secret", because those of us who knew were inevitably going to be on the same team with other players, and bound to share it.

There was no cheating, no breach of ethics. If your status was hidden, as has been encouraged, which is why so many players' statuses are hidden, then the "trick" wouldn't work anyway.

Why cant people disagree with you without crying? :pop:
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

slappybrown wrote:
dagny wrote:People have been told to hide their statuses. Pavel is just the one who thought enough to click on the who's online section. Thus, the discovery was made. It wasn't gonna stay "secret", because those of us who knew were inevitably going to be on the same team with other players, and bound to share it.

Why cant people disagree with you without crying? :pop:
You took the words right out of my mouth. :P
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dan H »

Corvidae wrote:
I realize you're only kidding
but just in case someone is confused,
to the right of "user control panel" there's a link that's used
to reach your inbox - you'll be floored
to see you've reached the PM section of the board
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

The only thing I remember people saying about hiding status was so that other people playing wouldn't be able to know if you were online... nothing to do with people being able to know when you are pm'ing. It's not a matter of cheating or ethics, just of what seems to take away from enjoyment of the game. I wouldn't really want to know that certain people are sending in pm's because it takes away from the fun of trying to actually figure things out, at least to some extent. To each his/her own. Anyway, I assume everyone knows now so it shouldn't matter in the future.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

MWB wrote:

The only thing I remember people saying about hiding status was so that other people playing wouldn't be able to know if you were online... nothing to do with people being able to know when you are pm'ing. It's not a matter of cheating or ethics, just of what seems to take away from enjoyment of the game. I wouldn't really want to know that certain people are sending in pm's because it takes away from the fun of trying to actually figure things out, at least to some extent. To each his/her own. Anyway, I assume everyone knows now so it shouldn't matter in the future.
It had to do with people knowing who was online at the time of write-ups. This was the reason for hiding online status. Apparently, it now covers every other function. Irregardless, it would seem to me to mostly help the bad RP's. Since they already know who they are, they could constantly check other players and see when someone was in PM's.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Dan H wrote:
Corvidae wrote:
I realize you're only kidding
but just in case someone is confused,
to the right of "user control panel" there's a link that's used
to reach your inbox - you'll be floored
to see you've reached the PM section of the board
Yeah, but how do you see who else is PMing?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

Zarovich wrote: It had to do with people knowing who was online at the time of write-ups. This was the reason for hiding online status. Apparently, it now covers every other function.
Yeah, that's right, or at least the reasoning I remember being given for hiding online status. Maybe the other reason was just discussed in chats. :pop:
cup keeper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by cup keeper »

Corvidae wrote:
Click on "who is online" and it shows you what forum people are posting in. It also shows if you are viewing or composing a PM
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

cup keeper wrote:
Corvidae wrote:
Click on "who is online" and it shows you what forum people are posting in. It also shows if you are viewing or composing a PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaah, I see... I never knew that was there.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

First of...zaro...it's not irregardless. That's redundant.

Second off...stop whining about this. I knew to hide my status after the first game. If you couldn't pick it up, you live and learn. Its not the most reliable tactic, anyway.

Also...seriously...its a board game. Use the board resources. The only thing that's disallowed is pming. Other than that...all fair game. Dagny was right to do what she did, and despite it hurting the bad guys, I will defend her tactic
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

MWB wrote:
wallflower wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Mine is always hidden so its never impacted me. I just think its shady, thats all. You dont, and thats fine.
I agree with this. :thumb:
I never hide mine because I thought the only telling point was whether you were or weren't on the site. Stupid me I guess.
I know some people do it for these games but I've always had my status hidden. It never occurred to me that it would be useful until someone mentioned it a few games in.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Mine's always hidden because I'm a loser and I don't want people to know how much time I spend here.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by the wicked child »

dagny wrote: I saw the wicked child PMing, a lot, got all excited I found another, then looked at the list and saw he wasn't even playing. :lol:
:lol:
Spoiler:
plotting the invasion
Spoiler:
p :D
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Seriously -- no one is whining or saying that the game results are invalid or anything like that. Some of us -- who werent impacted in any way -- think it was shady. Maybe you guys should stop being so defensive about it if there was nothing wrong with it. :pop:

thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

the wicked child wrote:
dagny wrote: I saw the wicked child PMing, a lot, got all excited I found another, then looked at the list and saw he wasn't even playing. :lol:
Spoiler:
plotting the invasion
Spoiler:
WHat is this invasion you speak of?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

thehockeyguru wrote:
the wicked child wrote:
Spoiler:
plotting the invasion
Spoiler:
WHat is this invasion you speak of?
Jellyfish Invasion I... scheduled for the Olympic Break. Corvi & I are planning it now (so you should be very afraid)
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

the wicked child wrote:

Jellyfish Invasion I... scheduled for the Olympic Break. Corvi & I are planning it now (so you should be very afraid)

Is it similar to the games we have been playing?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

thehockeyguru wrote:
the wicked child wrote:

Yup. Spirit is the same, but instead of Wolves/mafia/Slugs... there are Jellyfish.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

the wicked child wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
the wicked child wrote:

Yup. Spirit is the same, but instead of Wolves/mafia/Slugs... there are Jellyfish.
Should the players expect an addition to the same crazy formats from the last few games?
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

jaysmiter wrote:First of...zaro...it's not irregardless. That's redundant.

Second off...stop whining about this. I knew to hide my status after the first game. If you couldn't pick it up, you live and learn. Its not the most reliable tactic, anyway.

Also...seriously...its a board game. Use the board resources. The only thing that's disallowed is pming. Other than that...all fair game. Dagny was right to do what she did, and despite it hurting the bad guys, I will defend her tactic
Bah, I've been using irregardless and it's not right?!?! Inconceivable!!

jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

Zarovich wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:First of...zaro...it's not irregardless. That's redundant.

Bah, I've been using irregardless and it's not right?!?! Inconceivable!!

Haha...its cool. Just a pet peeve that stems from college. I meant no offense, I was just drunk and using my phone so I was trying to be succinct.