Hollywood Wars: Game Thread

Forum for NHR "Wars" Games
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Hollywood Wars: Game Thread

Post by Pavel Bure »

It's not unethical. It's using every advantage possible to you. Besides it's not like it was a well known thing.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

wallflower wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Mine is always hidden so its never impacted me. I just think its shady, thats all. You dont, and thats fine.
I agree with this. :thumb:
It would have been one thing if I knew of this "trick" and then chose to not hide my status. I had no idea that anyone could snoop on what I was doing. Had I known I would have definitely hid my status. I will make sure new players are aware of this, I certainly wasn't given that luxury.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

jaysmiter wrote:I get why you think its shady...I do...but I think it would be different if it was something only a mod could see..but its info that's available to everyone. So...its just another aspect. Like looking and seeing someone was supposed to be away but posted in other threads.
Jay, its hardy info that is known to everyone. I dont recall clicking on that link before I was told the tell (granted I have been on here a year, so maybe I am a nub) and sure as heck did not know that it actually told you people were writing PMs. I never would have known this.

Comparing it to search functionality...I mean come on. The fact that it was a "secret" and is going to require people to actively change their settings tells you all you need to know.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Post by jaysmiter »

Pavel Bure wrote:It's not unethical. It's using every advantage possible to you. Besides it's not like it was a well known thing.
To me, its no different than using the search feature to search someone's posts. Its a message board game, you can use the tools of the board.

I was actually going to reveal the 'tell' midgame, but figured that would get me killed for trying to protect the badguys.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

jaysmiter wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:It's not unethical. It's using every advantage possible to you. Besides it's not like it was a well known thing.
To me, its no different than using the search feature to search someone's posts. Its a message board game, you can use the tools of the board.

I was actually going to reveal the 'tell' midgame, but figured that would get me killed for trying to protect the badguys.
Again, thats fine that you think its the same as searching, but IMO that is a ridiculous argument in light of reality.
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

Heck soon as I heard it made it's way into the thread I PM'd one of the mods to let them know what it was in case they wanted to tell everyone to put their statuses to hidden.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Pavel Bure wrote:Heck soon as I heard it made it's way into the thread I PM'd one of the mods to let them know what it was in case they wanted to tell everyone to put their statuses to hidden.
And if it didnt, how long would it have gone on, where one or two people always preternaturally know who is a baddie/RP? :lol:
Pavel Bure
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pavel Bure »

slappybrown wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Heck soon as I heard it made it's way into the thread I PM'd one of the mods to let them know what it was in case they wanted to tell everyone to put their statuses to hidden.
And if it didnt, how long would it have gone on, where one or two people always preternaturally know who is a baddie/RP? :lol:
That's not really a fail safe way to pick out people. It's more of a check for the evidence you find. Least in my case. I'm sure there are some who would just take seeing someone's status and run with it though.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by slappybrown »

Pavel Bure wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
That's not really a fail safe way to pick out people. It's more of a check for the evidence you find. Least in my case. I'm sure there are some who would just take seeing someone's status and run with it though.
No question -- but it's a heck of a way to build a suspect/RP list. In any event, I think in the future, this won't be an issue, so we're good.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by wallflower »

thehockeyguru wrote:
wallflower wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Mine is always hidden so its never impacted me. I just think its shady, thats all. You dont, and thats fine.
It would have been one thing if I knew of this "trick" and then chose to not hide my status. I had no idea that anyone could snoop on what I was doing. Had I known I would have definitely hid my status. I will make sure new players are aware of this, I certainly wasn't given that luxury.
You were dead regardless.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

Agreed, and I am not salty about it. I am just happy that people who live past day 1 are now aware of it .
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by count2infinity »

thehockeyguru wrote:
Agreed, and I am not salty about it. I am just happy that people who live past day 1 are now aware of it .
THG...people are going to continue to kill you right away. i think for me one of the annoying things is you fail to quote properly. i have no idea why you don't keep the person's name in the quote so we dont have to go searching for them.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

count2infinity wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
THG...people are going to continue to kill you right away. i think for me one of the annoying things is you fail to quote properly. i have no idea why you don't keep the person's name in the quote so we dont have to go searching for them.
ok, Didnt realize that was an issue. Just a bad habit i guess.
Last edited by thehockeyguru on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan H
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dan H »

I didn't know that you can see if someone's in the PM section of the board if the online status isn't hidden. I intentionally left my status visible so people could really see I wasn't spending much time on. However, that's now a bad strategy for a villager, because the mafia can see you're not PMing and eliminate you as a potential RP. I guess everyone should hide online status, no matter what his role.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Dan H wrote:I didn't know that you can see if someone's in the PM section of the board if the online status isn't hidden. I intentionally left my status visible so people could really see I wasn't spending much time on. However, that's now a bad strategy for a villager, because the mafia can see you're not PMing and eliminate you as a potential RP. I guess everyone should hide online status, no matter what his role.
Wait, PM section of the board? Where is this place?
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

thehockeyguru wrote:
slappybrown wrote: If the tell is what I have been told, I think its unethical.
I felt the same way. It think it was pretty cold. If I had known I was at a disadvantage I obviously would have corrected it before the game. But to say that it was a "tell" was completely inaccurate. You live and you learn. I will be alerting new players of this in the future so they are aware.

Either way I was dead, so it didnt influence the game at all. It would suck if it did swing the game one way or another.
If this is the case, I agree also. I thought the spirit of the game is that you try to figure out who is bad or good by how they post, not what they're "status" is. Kind of like when the game is discussed during chats. I had no idea you could check someone's status and it would tell you that they were pm'ing.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

wallflower wrote:
I never hide mine because I thought the only telling point was whether you were or weren't on the site. Stupid me I guess.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

First of all, people have been told to hide their online statuses, ad nauseum. Newer players have been directed to read old game threads and the original rules, repeatedly.

It is fair game.

I never even thought to look at the whose online section, myself. I don't hide my status because that would make me look more suspicious. Bottom line, hiding your status when you're playing this game has been heavily encouraged. Some people do, some don't, but to call it unethical, when it's within the parameters of the game, just cuz you got tripped up, is the definition of sour grapes. Take your lumps. Lesson learned, right?

Also, it is still a calculated risk. Just because someone is PMing doesn't tell you anything other than, really, that they're PMing. What if THG was a good role player? I also saw MWB PMing, voted for him, then caught up with his posts and realized, if he's a RP, he's probably good, so unvoted him. I saw the wicked child PMing, a lot, got all excited I found another, then looked at the list and saw he wasn't even playing. :lol:

With Redwill, I was just convinced he was bad by his posting. I don't know how to explain it, but I never caught him PMing. Same with Kicksave, his posting just sent off alarm bells, I never saw him PM.

Pavel has brought us a whole new way of playing this game, opened up so much more, and discovered things we never thought of. Don't hate just cuz you didn't figure it out. :P
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

dagny wrote:First of all, people have been told to hide their online statuses, ad nauseum. Newer players have been directed to read old game threads and the original rules, repeatedly.

It is fair game.

I never even thought to look at the whose online section, myself. I don't hide my status because that would make me look more suspicious. Bottom line, hiding your status when you're playing this game has been heavily encouraged. Some people do, some don't, but to call it unethical, when it's within the parameters of the game, just cuz you got tripped up, is the definition of sour grapes. Take your lumps. Lesson learned, right?

Also, it is still a calculated risk. Just because someone is PMing doesn't tell you anything other than, really, that they're PMing. What if THG was a good role player? I also saw MWB PMing, voted for him, then caught up with his posts and realized, if he's a RP, he's probably good, so unvoted him. I saw the wicked child PMing, a lot, got all excited I found another, then looked at the list and saw he wasn't even playing. :lol:

With Redwill, I was just convinced he was bad by his posting. I don't know how to explain it, but I never caught him PMing. Same with Kicksave, his posting just sent off alarm bells, I never saw him PM.

Pavel has brought us a whole new way of playing this game, opened up so much more, and discovered things we never thought of. Don't hate just cuz you didn't figure it out. :P
This post is filled with so much BS i needed put a hankie over my nose so I could finish reading it.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

thehockeyguru wrote:
dagny wrote:First of all, people have been told to hide their online statuses, ad nauseum. Newer players have been directed to read old game threads and the original rules, repeatedly.

It is fair game.

This post is filled with so much BS i needed put a hankie over my nose so I could finish reading it.
You need some ointment for that chafe?
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by redwill »

dagny wrote:With Redwill, I was just convinced he was bad by his posting. I don't know how to explain it, but I never caught him PMing.
You got me, but for completely the wrong reason. You thought I was trying to protect thg. Hardly. I was on the other team. Honestly, I didn't want to go after thg because I simply don't like revenge killings. I was being completely truthful about that in my defense of myself. It just so happened that he turned up bad and my posting was therefore suspect. Your reputation meant that I couldn't shake it.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by MWB »

I've played most of the games and never been told this. It's also not in the rules.
mac5155
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by mac5155 »

MWB wrote:
I've played most of the games and never been told this. It's also not in the rules.
i didnt pick it up in the rules either, but in gameplay.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

MWB wrote:
I didn't even have a clue what these games were until way into you guys playing them. I think it was when you all stopped playing WW and played the first Mafia game, that was around the time I played for the first time. Even I'm still a relative newb to these games, and I clearly remember, people posting about how important it is to hide your status when playing this game. Even people talking about it it later, laughing about how they never unhid after finishing, blah blah. It's been talked about a lot.

Why do you think so many people hide their statuses? Because they were told they should.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

redwill wrote:
dagny wrote:With Redwill, I was just convinced he was bad by his posting. I don't know how to explain it, but I never caught him PMing.
You got me, but for completely the wrong reason. You thought I was trying to protect thg. Hardly. I was on the other team. Honestly, I didn't want to go after thg because I simply don't like revenge killings. I was being completely truthful about that in my defense of myself. It just so happened that he turned up bad and my posting was therefore suspect. Your reputation meant that I couldn't shake it.
Oh, I realized I just got lucky following my gut with the vote for you, once I saw that you were from another family. :)