LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by pressure=9Pa »

Why aren't our hockey arguements ever this intelligent, fact-supported, and well reasoned?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:http://www.benzinga.com/economics/53298 ... rity-money
Yesterday, Ben "Bubbles" Bernanke - testifying before the Senate Finance Committee that is considering his reappointment as Fed chairman - called for cutbacks in Medicare and Social Security even as unemployment rises and the middle class is endangered
More defense of his criminal friends. They are literally coming for your S.S. What a crap system we have.
You should praise Ben Bernanke. Without him and those of his philosophy, S.S. and the rest of the welfare/warfare state is gone long ago.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote:http://www.benzinga.com/economics/53298 ... rity-money
Yesterday, Ben "Bubbles" Bernanke - testifying before the Senate Finance Committee that is considering his reappointment as Fed chairman - called for cutbacks in Medicare and Social Security even as unemployment rises and the middle class is endangered
More defense of his criminal friends. They are literally coming for your S.S. What a crap system we have.
You should praise Ben Bernanke. Without him and those of his philosophy, S.S. and the rest of the welfare/warfare state is gone long ago.
Ummm No.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Ummm No.
You got 3 choices - print it; borrow it; or tax it. All three come with a cost, but printing is the preference of the state because, while the long term results are devastating, the short term results are advantageous to the political class.

You don't like him because he gives his printed "money" to his friends - you'd prefer he give it to your favored constituency. You don't realize that the printing is the evil, not the distribution method.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Ummm No.
You got 3 choices - print it; borrow it; or tax it. All three come with a cost, but printing is the preference of the state because, while the long term results are devastating, the short term results are advantageous to the political class.

You don't like him because he gives his printed "money" to his friends - you'd prefer he give it to your favored constituency. You don't realize that the printing is the evil, not the distribution method.

It's your money too. I'm assuming. And this has nothing to do with "printing money" and everything to do with who should be paying. The distribution is the problem becasue the people that screwed it up should be the ones that have to pay, but let's not make that the argument and turn into Libertarian point as usual.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

doublem wrote:this has nothing to do with "printing money" and everything to do with who should be paying.
When money is "printed", then the people who pay are the ones on "Fixed incomes". Typically the ones at the lower end of the social spectrum and those that are RETIREES "Fixed Incomes".

Certainly the folks who have the means, (like myself), will invest in Commodities, "Cary trade" or T.I.P.S. and thus mitigate the effects of inflationary or "real" negative income.

This government is not to be trusted. They'll use the "stealth tax" ie. INFLATION to accomplish their objectives.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

ExPatriatePen wrote:
doublem wrote:this has nothing to do with "printing money" and everything to do with who should be paying.
When money is "printed", then the people who pay are the ones on "Fixed incomes". Typically the ones at the lower end of the social spectrum and those that are RETIREES "Fixed Incomes".

Certainly the folks who have the means, (like myself), will invest in Commodities, "Cary trade" or T.I.P.S. and thus mitigate the effects of inflationary or "real" negative income.

This government is not to be trusted. They'll use the "stealth tax" ie. INFLATION to accomplish their objectives.
Yea and that's the point. There has never been a transfer of wealth so large from public to private hands before. These people want to take more from us so there criminal friends can get bigger bonuses( which is happening now) and the plan they come up with to make up for it is to make cuts to S.S. and medicare.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

It's a shame the government simply can't spend less and be forced to carry a surplus until the debt is at least halved. If that means cutting all funding to worthless agencies like the EPA and NEA and also pulling out all troops stationed outside the US and having the military only be ready to respond on an attack on this country then so be it. This spending like there's no tomorrow is more dangerous than terrorism.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:
Guinness wrote:

It's your money too. I'm assuming.
Uh... what?
And this has nothing to do with "printing money"
Everything has to do with "printing money". Don't you understand that none of the welfare/warfare state is feasible without debt and/or inflation?
and everything to do with who should be paying.
"Shocking" they've used the "greater good" narrative to justify and explain their giveaways... well, "shocking" to those of us who get it, anyway.
The distribution is the problem becasue the people that screwed it up should be the ones that have to pay, but let's not make that the argument and turn into Libertarian point as usual.
Oh I see - it's okay for you to make a "progressive" point every time you post, but when I make a post rooted in liberty, this is offensive? How about you clam up about your so-called ideals until you finally understand the destructive nature of them?

These last few posts of yours have exposed your understanding (lack thereof) of the political/economic policies of the federal government. If anyone should be asked to stop trying to make a point, it's you.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote: Yea and that's the point. There has never been a transfer of wealth so large from public to private hands before.
That's ALL government is, for cryin' out loud. What are you talking about? You act surprised by what's going on...
These people want to take more from us so there criminal friends can get bigger bonuses( which is happening now) and the plan they come up with to make up for it is to make cuts to S.S. and medicare.
There is no such thing as "cutting" a program that is not fully funded. That'd be like me saying that I'm going to cut into my car payment that is behind and for which I have no sustainable plan for paying in the future to pay for some other program that is more expensive and unsustainable. It's a farce. They could just as "sensibly" say they're cutting the funding to the Andromeda Galaxy Exploration Mission.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Uh... what?
I'm assuming that you aren't super rich which makes your defense of them surprising.
Everything has to do with "printing money". Don't you understand that none of the welfare/warfare state is feasible without debt and/or inflation?

Oh Gee, and all this time I thought we were talking about why the owners of this country can ask for hand outs and get them, and not have to pay for the mistakes they make, but when it's time to pay the bill it's old people trying to pay for prescriptions that has to go. Right, it's time to end corporate welfare.
"Shocking" they've used the "greater good" narrative to justify and explain their giveaways... well, "shocking" to those of us who get it, anyway.
Doesn't surprise me.
Oh I see - it's okay for you to make a "progressive" point every time you post, but when I make a post rooted in liberty, this is offensive? How about you clam up about your so-called ideals until you finally understand the destructive nature of them?
No, it's not offensive, it just has nothing to do with why Ben Bernanke is cutting S.S. and medicare and you come running in and start screaming about the welfare state when these programs could be paid for if it wasn't his defense of the mega rich, and in all places S.S. and medicare programs that people actually need. When you find the destructive nature in your "ideals" I will do the same with mine.
That's ALL government is, for cryin' out loud. What are you talking about? You act surprised by what's going on...
Yea, becasue 11.5 trillion bailouts of selected companies that weren't allowed to fail has happened a lot, but I see the point.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:
Uh... what?
I'm assuming that you aren't super rich which makes your defense of them surprising.
I'm defending the super-rich? Neat. News to me...

Oh Gee, and all this time I thought we were talking about why the owners of this country can ask for hand outs and get them, and not have to pay for the mistakes they make, but when it's time to pay the bill it's old people trying to pay for prescriptions that has to go. Right, it's time to end corporate welfare.
Where do you think they come up with the hand outs, bub?

Printing money is an evil that effects ESPECIALLY the poor. You don't fund prescription programs out of thin air. What do you propose?
Doesn't surprise me.
It must.
No, it's not offensive, it just has nothing to do with why Ben Bernanke is cutting S.S. and medicare and you come running in and start screaming about the welfare state when these programs could be paid for if it wasn't his defense of the mega rich, and in all places S.S. and medicare programs that people actually need. When you find the destructive nature in your "ideals" I will do the same with mine.
Ben Bernanke is not cutting S.S. and medicare. And NONE of these programs are paid for AND fully funded without Benji's economic philosophy - it's either that or a stifling tax rate:
There is no such thing as "cutting" a program that is not fully funded. That'd be like me saying that I'm going to cut into my car payment that is behind and for which I have no sustainable plan for paying in the future to pay for some other program that is more expensive and unsustainable. It's a farce. They could just as "sensibly" say they're cutting the funding to the Andromeda Galaxy Exploration Mission.
People only "need" these programs because of conditions government itself creates - take a step back and examine this very discussion as case-in-point. Don't you see? They had to do the bailouts to save the "people". :lol:

As for the "destructive" nature of my views - sorry fella... My views take the chains off. Yours put them on.
Yea, becasue 11.5 trillion bailouts of selected companies that weren't allowed to fail has happened a lot, but I see the point.
The only manner in which government may act is by taking from one group of people and giving to another. This is simple, basic political science.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

from foxnews.com:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12 ... upporters/
Reid Compares Opponents of Health Care Reform to Supporters of Slavery
He is an idiot and I can't stand the turd. What a lowlife. He'll say anything to get his crap plan passed.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

SoupOrSam wrote:from foxnews.com:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12 ... upporters/
Reid Compares Opponents of Health Care Reform to Supporters of Slavery
He is an idiot and I can't stand the turd. What a lowlife. He'll say anything to get his crap plan passed.
Wow.......Harry Reid showing his impeccable class once again. The constituents in his own state have already turned against him in a big way....as a matter of fact, his garbage healthcare bill is losing by about 20 points in Nevada. He knows it's his last term, and is going balls to the wall.

Between Harry Reid comparing me to a defender of slavery and Nancy Pelosi calling me a violent Nazi, I am starting to think pretty badly about myself :cry:
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm ... 127b1.html
Asked for a response to Monday's tracking poll, which placed Obama's approval numbers among the lowest of any recent president in December of his first year in office, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs mocked the reliability of the widely respected polling firm.

"I tell you, if I was a heart patient and Gallup was my EKG, I'd visit my doctor," Gibbs said. "If you look back, I think five days ago, there was an 11-point spread, now there's a 1-point spread. I mean, I'm sure a 6-year-old with a crayon could do something not unlike that. I don't put a lot of stake in, never have, in the EKG that is the daily Gallup trend."
It is hilarious how absolutely defensive this administration is about their poll numbers. Bush was skewered for years from all facets of the media and still managed to rise above it all and not fall into the fray (note: this is not an endorsement of his policies). Obama throws the equivalent of a tantrum when he is criticized, as is evidenced by his attacks on FOX News, talk radio, and anyone else that dares to question his genius.

In other news, Sarah Palin is now as popular as Barack Obama! Mwahahhahahahaha
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091209/ap_ ... e_overhaul" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Okay pundits, if the public option is dropped, how will this affect the potential costs of the overhaul?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Hockeynut! wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091209/ap_ ... e_overhaul

Okay pundits, if the public option is dropped, how will this affect the potential costs of the overhaul?
haha, what overhaul?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I don't buy it for a second. The entire endgame in all of this, for the Democrats, is to install a public-run system. I don't believe for one second that Reid/Pelosi are suddenly going to just happily give up and accept a compromise.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

shafnutz05 wrote:I don't buy it for a second. The entire endgame in all of this, for the Democrats, is to install a public-run system. I don't believe for one second that Reid/Pelosi are suddenly going to just happily give up and accept a compromise.
Well, I bet that is what happens. It's kind of hard to compromise an already compromised plan.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

Our president is officially a complete and utter moron. It amazes me how much this guy gets away with. He is now getting ready to propose new multi-billion dollar stimulus packages to continue to "stimulate the economy". He even said that we were going to continue to "spend our way" out of the recession. He also credited the stimulus with preventing the "depression many of us feared".

Really? Or maybe the stimulus, as many predicted it would, created an artificial and temporary rise in the stock market. You cannot have an economic recovery without jobs. While the president warned us that if we didn't pass his trillion dollar stimulus unemployment would rise above 8% by 2010, it is now at 10%+ despite the fact he wasted so much money. And now he wants to spend more?! Finally, check out this old fallback he used yesterday:
"And we were forced to take those steps largely without the help of an opposition party which, unfortunately, after having presided over the decision-making that led to the crisis, decided to hand it to others to solve."
Hey Obama.....get over yourself. You have been president for almost a year now. It is time to start acting presidential and stop whining and moaning about the previous administration. The Republicans proposed tax cuts and other measures to boost job growth, and you rejected them all. All but two Republicans in the entire Congress opposed your stimulus package, and they were right. It's time to put up, or shut up.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Continuing with the stimulus theme:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... m-stimulus

Hillary Clinton's pollster, Mark Penn, received $6 million in stimulus money. For what? To preserve three jobs. Tom Coburn highlighted this and several hundred other similar expenditures. This continues the general thought that the stimulus bill was nothing more than a Democratic special-interest pork barrel bill, devoid of actual job-creating measures but chock full of kickbacks to the people that got them into office. And now our president wants to pass a couple more.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Obama is now planning to strongarm bank CEOs to lend more and more money to promote economic recovery. Isn't this what got us in trouble in the first place?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1209/30388.html
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by GaryRissling »

shafnutz05 wrote:Obama is now planning to strongarm bank CEOs to lend more and more money to promote economic recovery. Isn't this what got us in trouble in the first place?

I wonder what the Chinese will have to say about it.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

GaryRissling wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Obama is now planning to strongarm bank CEOs to lend more and more money to promote economic recovery. Isn't this what got us in trouble in the first place?

I wonder what the Chinese will have to say about it.
Hurry up and buy! They are in on it too. They're happy because soon we'll all be line-working side-by-side and living in cottages four families to a room with quad bunk beds. They're running out of enough bodies to make their cancer-producing products so they need us to help. Let Americans lead the way to global governement! Our goverment sold us a long time ago. :)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

For all the bluster during the campaign about how Barack was going to restore our image abroad, he seems to be establishing a pretty solid track record of snubbing/offending foreign leaders/governments. I can think of England, the entire Eastern Bloc, Israel, France, Germany, and China, just to name a few. Then again, if the Norwegians wouldn't have given him the Peace Prize in the first place, this could have all been avoided.

It seems to be a lot of "I don't have the time for this crap" coming from the White House. Come on....you don't have time to have lunch with the king of Norway, after you receive a prize you didn't deserve in the slightest?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/de ... prize-snub