LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:
and i patently disagree with the idea that prolonging life is a waste. every day you have is a gift.
Well that depends, doesn't it? Every day isn't a gift to a person that doesn't have to suffer with pain and a incurable disease. For some people sure life is a gift for others it's a nightmare. It should be left up to them on how they want to live it or if at all.
Exactly.

Wait. What?

Sure you don't want to restate your comment? ;)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

bh wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:Obama set to announce a troop surge of at least 25k for Afghanistan next week:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 929794.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a question, though, regarding Afghanistan: from a national security perspective, I can't quite figure out what a "victory" in Afghanistan would actually look like. If we take Sec Hillary's word, victory is making sure Afghanistan is no longer a staging point for terrorists; yet, given that we are dealing with a narco-state and currently allied forces are paying the hostiles not to shoot at them, it would seem to me that this simple-to-understand goal would take decades and probably trillions of dollars to accomplish. But even assuming that this can be done, and we can afford to do it, what happens when the very transient terrorists move to destabilize nuclear-armed Pakistan (which is already happening)? This doesn't seem like a very good trade-off IMO. But let's say that we are able to contain Afghanistan and Pakistan - what are we going to do when the terrorists move to another 3rd-world country? Are we going to nation-build every 3rd world country to a point where they are no longer corrupt and are willing an able to police themselves for our national security? If I were a terrorist and was serious about bringing down the US, I'd play this cat-and-mouse game until the US went bankrupt - which really may not take very long.
Great post. At this point I think bankrupcy is inevitable.
Agreed on both counts.

Did you guys read THIS article at LRC today?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote:
and i patently disagree with the idea that prolonging life is a waste. every day you have is a gift.
Well that depends, doesn't it? Every day isn't a gift to a person that doesn't have to suffer with pain and a incurable disease. For some people sure life is a gift for others it's a nightmare. It should be left up to them on how they want to live it or if at all.
Exactly.

Wait. What?

Sure you don't want to restate your comment? ;)
On what?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:
On what?
A person is going to be entitled to decide for themselves how long they hang on to life when their insurance is tied to "the greater good"?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:
doublem wrote:
On what?
A person is going to be entitled to decide for themselves how long they hang on to life when their insurance is tied to "the greater good"?
That's not what I was referring to. I'm talking about the romantic/poetic idea that all life is a gift despite whatever horrible ailment destroys your body and life. The idea that you should just be happy to be alive even when all hope is gone of ever getting better is let's just say IMO upsetting.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20091207/hayes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The fact is, giving in to bullying by Kirk, CNBC's Larry Kudlow, New Hampshire's Judd Gregg and the rest of what some have rightly called "the pain caucus" would only further deepen the economic misery in the United States and sour the US-China relationship. "In short term we are very worried about the domestic politics of the United States," says Zha Xiaogang, a fellow at the Institute for Economic Comparative Studies, who focuses on US-China relations. "We can expect the US unemployment rate will stay high, and will possibly cause US domestic political pressure" for what Zha calls "protectionist" measures.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:It should be left up to them on how they want to live it or if at all.
doublem wrote: That's not what I was referring to. I'm talking about the romantic/poetic idea that all life is a gift despite whatever horrible ailment destroys your body and life. The idea that you should just be happy to be alive even when all hope is gone of ever getting better is let's just say IMO upsetting.
Right, so I guess you'd want to restate that then.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Not that there should be any question about any of this. This country is headed for insolvency.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

GaryRissling wrote:Are we going to nation-build every 3rd world country to a point where they are no longer corrupt and are willing an able to police themselves for our national security? If I were a terrorist and was serious about bringing down the US, I'd play this cat-and-mouse game until the US went bankrupt - which really may not take very long.
These are excellent points.

And you were where, again, when Junior decided to take us all on his excellent adventure to Baghdad?
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by GaryRissling »

HomerPenguin wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:Are we going to nation-build every 3rd world country to a point where they are no longer corrupt and are willing an able to police themselves for our national security? If I were a terrorist and was serious about bringing down the US, I'd play this cat-and-mouse game until the US went bankrupt - which really may not take very long.
These are excellent points.

And you were where, again, when Junior decided to take us all on his excellent adventure to Baghdad?
I believe my criticism is clearly directed at both parties, and nearly all pundits so there's no real need to take up the official WH defense position. Not trying to wind you up here, but I'm seriously wondering if, after January these guys are going to be able to stop using the phrase "for the past eight years" to explain their lack of progress.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

So apparently we're sending +/- 35,000 more soldiers to Afghanistan. Well, duh. I knew he was going to from the start. Maybe he hesitated because he said he would end the war. Now he's going to have to explain it to people. I'm actually for taking out the Taliban, but at what cost and is that even possible?

We're already out of money. I can't believe how many years we've been over there already when I really think about it sometimes.

Whatever happened to that show Over There? That was so good.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Sarcastic wrote:So apparently we're sending +/- 35,000 more soldiers to Afghanistan. Well, duh. I knew he was going to from the start. Maybe he hesitated because he said he would end the war. Now he's going to have to explain it to people. I'm actually for taking out the Taliban, but at what cost and is that even possible?

We're already out of money. I can't believe how many years we've been over there already when I really think about it sometimes.

Whatever happened to that show Over There? That was so good.
It seems to me we are a nation fighting endless wars and accomplishing nothing. Actaully, its hurting American troops more then anything.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

White House defends costs, cuts in health bill
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-ge ... alth.Care/

In a conference call with reporters, Orszag said such critics are overlooking key provisions in the Senate bill. He cited a recent letter from 23 prominent economists praising four main features:

_ Making the federal deficit level or lower over 10 years.

_ Taxing high-cost, employer-provided insurance plans, which are blamed for overuse of medical care.

_ Creating a commission to recommend ways to control Medicare costs.

_ Taking preliminary steps to encourage more efficient ways to deliver health care.

The Senate bill "includes these four pillars," Orszag said.

So there you go. These are the "features". Feature 1 - OK, that's a promise I hear from every politician... now let's see them actually do that. 2 - Do we really overuse medical care? Maybe some people, but others are denied care. Some die because the insurer refuses the treatment. What is it like, 45,000 people a year? I don't know about this one. 3 - Uh, a commission that will "recommend stuff". So I take it they still don't have a clue how to lower the cost. 4 - What? Preliminary steps to... forget about it.

Sorry, not impressed. I need details that actually make sense to me.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Sarcastic »

By the way, I asked my grandma about her stay at the hospital several years back, because I wasn't sure about the exact numbers. Here's what the cost was: no procedures at all, just monitoring and blood tests. 11 days, $27,000. Who the hell makes up these numbers?

And the FDA pisses me off too. They wouldn't allow cheaper drug imports from Canada, because they were worried about our "safety". Yeah, because they poison people in Canada.

I don't understand when people stick up for the current system.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

GaryRissling wrote:I believe my criticism is clearly directed at both parties,
I'm not asking where your criticism is being directed now. I'm asking where your criticism was seven years ago, six years ago, five years ago.
and nearly all pundits so there's no real need to take up the official WH defense position. Not trying to wind you up here, but I'm seriously wondering if, after January these guys are going to be able to stop using the phrase "for the past eight years" to explain their lack of progress.
I haven't said a word about Obama's lack of progress. But did Junior's G.I. Joe adventure to Iraq not cost money, money that added to our deficits, deficits that added to the national debt, the massive debt that we're now wrestling with? As far as I'm concerned, and this has absolutely nothing to do with Obama, but every pundit and private citizen who voted and/or called on people to re-elect GWB in 2004, and is now complaining about deficits, is a raging hypocrite. And really, really not worth listening to on matters political.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Sarcastic wrote:So apparently we're sending +/- 35,000 more soldiers to Afghanistan. Well, duh. I knew he was going to from the start. Maybe he hesitated because he said he would end the war. Now he's going to have to explain it to people.
That was actually Iraq that he promised to end and then didn't. In Afghanistan he promised to refocus on getting al-Qaeda and then didn't. Sticking to nation-building in a place where no nation exists and the "elected" government is basically an opium cartel, that's what he'll have to explain.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I don't understand why Obama needs to wait until prime-time on Monday night to announce his plan for Iraq. The man is Commander in Chief, if you have a plan now act on it. A great sign of support for the troops would be Obama going to Afghanistan for Thanksgiving and announcing the plan there.

And does anyone realize we are essentially buying universal healthcare on lawaway? Taxes will go up in 2010 but no benfits will be seen until 2013. If this needs pushed through Congress so fast then why does it not start the minute the bill is signed?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

HomerPenguin wrote:I haven't said a word about Obama's lack of progress. But did Junior's G.I. Joe adventure to Iraq not cost money, money that added to our deficits, deficits that added to the national debt, the massive debt that we're now wrestling with? As far as I'm concerned, and this has absolutely nothing to do with Obama, but every pundit and private citizen who voted and/or called on people to re-elect GWB in 2004, and is now complaining about deficits, is a raging hypocrite. And really, really not worth listening to on matters political.
I think there is a thing called, "realizing one was wrong and changing their mind" which I view as a good thing. :wink:
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by GaryRissling »

HomerPenguin wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:I believe my criticism is clearly directed at both parties,
I'm not asking where your criticism is being directed now. I'm asking where your criticism was seven years ago, six years ago, five years ago.
and nearly all pundits so there's no real need to take up the official WH defense position. Not trying to wind you up here, but I'm seriously wondering if, after January these guys are going to be able to stop using the phrase "for the past eight years" to explain their lack of progress.
I haven't said a word about Obama's lack of progress. But did Junior's G.I. Joe adventure to Iraq not cost money, money that added to our deficits, deficits that added to the national debt, the massive debt that we're now wrestling with? As far as I'm concerned, and this has absolutely nothing to do with Obama, but every pundit and private citizen who voted and/or called on people to re-elect GWB in 2004, and is now complaining about deficits, is a raging hypocrite. And really, really not worth listening to on matters political.
Given Obama's campaign promises regarding closing Gitmo and bringing troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan, and the subsequent reality; what on god's green (and cooling) earth makes you believe that Kerry would have done anything different? Especially considering Kerry is Obama's advisor on Afghanistan. Can you honestly tell me things would have been different? Afghanistan, Iraq, Gitmo, Patriot Act, TARP, etc. It would have been exactly the same.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

GaryRissling wrote:Given Obama's campaign promises regarding closing Gitmo and bringing troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan, and the subsequent reality; what on god's green (and cooling) earth makes you believe that Kerry would have done anything different? Especially considering Kerry is Obama's advisor on Afghanistan. Can you honestly tell me things would have been different? Afghanistan, Iraq, Gitmo, Patriot Act, TARP, etc. It would have been exactly the same.
I can't honestly tell you anything about a hypothetical. That's a gift you apparently have, but I don't. But "anybody else would have been just as bad" is a novel conception of the Bush presidency. I can't share it, but again that's because I'm so limited on the topic of things that never happened.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

bh wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:I haven't said a word about Obama's lack of progress. But did Junior's G.I. Joe adventure to Iraq not cost money, money that added to our deficits, deficits that added to the national debt, the massive debt that we're now wrestling with? As far as I'm concerned, and this has absolutely nothing to do with Obama, but every pundit and private citizen who voted and/or called on people to re-elect GWB in 2004, and is now complaining about deficits, is a raging hypocrite. And really, really not worth listening to on matters political.
I think there is a thing called, "realizing one was wrong and changing their mind" which I view as a good thing. :wink:
Yeah, I suppose. There's also a thing called, "I don't care what they do when it's my party (or my guy) doing it, but I'll scream like a banshee when the other party does it." We've got some of both going on right now, but in what proportion I can't say.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by GaryRissling »

HomerPenguin wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:Given Obama's campaign promises regarding closing Gitmo and bringing troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan, and the subsequent reality; what on god's green (and cooling) earth makes you believe that Kerry would have done anything different? Especially considering Kerry is Obama's advisor on Afghanistan. Can you honestly tell me things would have been different? Afghanistan, Iraq, Gitmo, Patriot Act, TARP, etc. It would have been exactly the same.
I can't honestly tell you anything about a hypothetical. That's a gift you apparently have, but I don't. But "anybody else would have been just as bad" is a novel conception of the Bush presidency. I can't share it, but again that's because I'm so limited on the topic of things that never happened.
As I said in another thread, the lack of critical thinking in this country is a serious problem.

EDIT: Wait a minute - didn't you just go on about how you're sick of people getting their opinions for Drudge, then regurgitating them on here? ...but if someone you think is a Republican differs from what the right-ish sites are saying, they're a hypocrite? How does this work exactly?
Last edited by GaryRissling on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

1 tyme i sar a blimp
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

HomerPenguin wrote: Yeah, I suppose. There's also a thing called, "I don't care what they do when it's my party (or my guy) doing it, but I'll scream like a banshee when the other party does it." We've got some of both going on right now, but in what proportion I can't say.
There's also such a thing as, "de-legitimize everything someone has to say based upon one position they may or may not have taken for whatever reason half-a-decade ago". That's pretty much the standard tactic in political discourse; especially the MO of the political media.

We rightfully disparaged the **** Bush for the lack of nuance and evolution in his policies and apparently in his thought-process... a decade ago I was an empty-headed lib'rul who thought it was moral to confiscate labor for the "greater good". Luckily, my views have changed... or maybe now I just lack cred. :?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by bh »

HomerPenguin wrote:
bh wrote:
Yeah, I suppose. There's also a thing called, "I don't care what they do when it's my party (or my guy) doing it, but I'll scream like a banshee when the other party does it." We've got some of both going on right now, but in what proportion I can't say.
Well, hopefully it is a lot more of the former and much less of the latter. I understand your frustration though. I personally know a bunch of people that fit your description.