LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by shafnutz05 »

SoupOrSam wrote:If anyone sounds "genuinely stupid" it's Joe Biden.
Precisely
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

SoupOrSam wrote:If anyone sounds "genuinely stupid" it's Joe Biden.
He's a different kind of rambling kind of idiot. The two should bang heads together for a while. Ew, can you imagine if they had a kid? At least it would be moderate.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by SoupOrSam »

He sure is. It's crazy... you don't even have to take anything he says and twist it. It's just plain D U M dumb.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I love when Joe Biden talks about blatant errors/mistakes/misjudgments that Obama makes...predictably, three hours later Robert Gibbs is sweating and stuttering in front of the microphone trying to interpret what Biden was REALLY trying to say
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

It's amazing that her completely selfless act to spare the poor people of Alaska just happened to coincide with her multimillion dollar book tour and media blitz. :roll:
Last edited by Hockeynut! on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by GaryRissling »

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Samsdog wrote:
Woman is a walking Republican stereotype, which definitely isn't going to repair the party's tarnished image. Add in the fact that she'd be as big or bigger a train wreck as Bush was and she is probably the total opposite of what the party needs right now.
What is it that you think is wrong with the party's image?

What is it you think the Republicans need now?
I think she is a competent woman with a solid record of accomplishments to her name. But, IMO, when she gets outside of her comfort zone, she turns into a walking republican talking-points machine (I admit a took that from Jon Stewart).

The problem with the party's image is that it is pro-corporatism (big banks, big pharma, big agriculture, etc), pro-fiscal irresponsibility (TARP, post-9-11 stimulus), pro-big government (patriot act), and pro-war. Bush and McCain really threw a wrench into the works with the TARP support, as that was an anti-capitalist, anti-small business, payoff for the elites prior to the big meltdown. Either they were complicit or they were stupid.

IMO, it is necessary - particularly in these times - for the party to espouse fiscally conservative and capitalist-populist values a la Ron Paul in order to really differentiate itself from the dems. Palin, as all Republican candidates do, says she's for small government, but if her underlying philosophy is no different than the rest of the party, the outcome will be more of the same as well.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Her appeal is that she isn't Joe Biden, or Orin Hatch, KKK recruiter Byrd, or any of these other politicians who have served in washington for way too long. She isn't a policy nerd, altough if you read her book she lays out a lot of her ideas that have been enacted to better Alaska and ideas for the rest of the country.

What is so telling to me is how much people want to continue to destroy her. She holds no office. She cannot destroy the value of the dollar. She cannot raise taxes. She cannot take over banks and manufacturing concerns. She can't do anything but sell books and show up on tv.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

pittsoccer33 wrote:Her appeal is that she isn't Joe Biden, or Orin Hatch, KKK recruiter Byrd, or any of these other politicians who have served in washington for way too long. She isn't a policy nerd, altough if you read her book she lays out a lot of her ideas that have been enacted to better Alaska and ideas for the rest of the country.

What is so telling to me is how much people want to continue to destroy her. She holds no office. She cannot destroy the value of the dollar. She cannot raise taxes. She cannot take over banks and manufacturing concerns. She can't do anything but sell books and show up on tv.
She's hurting the republican's more than anything by being in the public eye. I was a McCain supporter, and still voted for him after he chose her, but if the race was closer I would have had to think about it.

I hated when people said McCain would be George W. Bush II, but she definitely has some she-Bush qualities (giggle).
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

She's a topic of conversation because she's an extremely likely 2012 presidential candidate who is currently on a national book tour and interview blitz.

I'm sure, if Bobby Jindal decided to quit his job as governor and wrote a book and did a media tour, we'd be talking about him right now too.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Hockeynut! wrote:She's a topic of conversation because she's an extremely likely 2012 presidential candidate who is currently on a national book tour and interview blitz.

I'm sure, if Bobby Jindal decided to quit his job as governor and wrote a book and did a media tour, we'd be talking about him right now too.
Palin in 2012 is 4 more for Obama. That's why I think the Dems secretly love having her around.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I like Bobby Jindal...would love to see him run. That way, if anyone criticizes him, I can accuse them of being bigoted towards Indian-Americans.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Corvidae wrote:Palin in 2012 is 4 more for Obama. That's why I think the Dems secretly love having her around.
I agree with this 150%....I think Obama is EXTREMELY beatable in 2012. I have nothing at all against Palin personally, I just don't want her anywhere near the ticket. Give me a Pawlenty/Jindal, Jindal/Pawlenty, Romney/whoever, anything. She is good at getting the base fired up, but keep her off the ticket. Independents do not care for her...although those numbers are steadily rising
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I'm intrigued by Jindal too. I like some of the things he talks about (and dislike others, of course) and would be really interested to see him run for Pres. I'd definitely consider voting for him.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

shafnutz05 wrote:I like Bobby Jindal...would love to see him run. That way, if anyone criticizes him, I can accuse them of being bigoted towards Indian-Americans.
Pfft. Another elitist Indian Ivy league-educated Republican.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

I think her public imagine has been too terribly destroyed to run for any national office, but her appeal is undeniable. Thousands of people are waiting overnight in line for her all over the country to get her autograph. Nobody has been as excited about a conservative since Ronald Reagan (who she is definately not). They treated him the same way, said he was too dumb, too stupid, an actor not a politician, was turning too many people away, was too insensitive, was too rich, too out of touch.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

oops....epic quote fail
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

Hockeynut! wrote:I'm intrigued by Jindal too. I like some of the things he talks about (and dislike others, of course) and would be really interested to see him run for Pres. I'd definitely consider voting for him.
I ask this seriously, because I know you post in support of most left wing policies on here. Why would you ever vote for a conservative?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

shafnutz05 wrote:
Corvidae wrote:Palin in 2012 is 4 more for Obama. That's why I think the Dems secretly love having her around.
I agree with this 150%....I think Obama is EXTREMELY beatable in 2012. I have nothing at all against Palin personally, I just don't want her anywhere near the ticket. Give me a Pawlenty/Jindal, Jindal/Pawlenty, Romney/whoever, anything. She is good at getting the base fired up, but keep her off the ticket. Independents do not care for her...although those numbers are steadily rising
How about Romney/Jundal?

If everything is exactly the same in 2012 as it is now, then yes, he's certainly beatable. But that's almost 3 years of things happening both in and out of his control. That could change to increase or decrease his election changes exponentially.
Hockeynut!
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Hockeynut! »

I definitely would. I was registered Republican until 2007. I would have voted happily voted for McCain over Gore in 2000 and voted for McCain in the primary that year. I never liked Bush though. I might have voted for McCain last year if he wouldn't have started pandering to the far right. If Tom Ridge would run, he would almost certainly get my vote.

I'm definitely socially liberal. I think I'm close the middle on other things though.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Corvidae wrote:If everything is exactly the same in 2012 as it is now, then yes, he's certainly beatable. But that's almost 3 years of things happening both in and out of his control. That could change to increase or decrease his election changes exponentially.
I can tell you one thing for certain...if Obama passes this healthcare bill, he is done in 2012. For starters, the "benefits" of the bill don't even begin until 2013. Yet, the much higher taxes that will be implemented to pay for this bill begin almost immediately (next year). Not only that, but the bill doesn't just cost $900 billion. Fully implemented, his healthcare bill will cost $2.5 trillion over 10 years.

Mark my words...as much as he is telling the Democrats they HAVE to pass healthcare reform, it could not be further from the truth.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Hockeynut! wrote:I definitely would. I was registered Republican until 2007. I would have voted happily voted for McCain over Gore in 2000 and voted for McCain in the primary that year. I never liked Bush though. I might have voted for McCain last year if he wouldn't have started pandering to the far right. If Tom Ridge would run, he would almost certainly get my vote.

I'm definitely socially liberal. I think I'm close the middle on other things though.
Well said....
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Corvidae »

Hockeynut! wrote:I definitely would. I was registered Republican until 2007. I would have voted happily voted for McCain over Gore in 2000 and voted for McCain in the primary that year. I never liked Bush though. I might have voted for McCain last year if he wouldn't have started pandering to the far right. If Tom Ridge would run, he would almost certainly get my vote.

I have no idea what I am anymore, but I do know that people on the far end of both sides are annoying as hell.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Healthcare bill passage = Republicans controlling both houses of Congress and the White House by 2013. You can take that to the bank.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Samsdog »

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Samsdog wrote:
Woman is a walking Republican stereotype, which definitely isn't going to repair the party's tarnished image. Add in the fact that she'd be as big or bigger a train wreck as Bush was and she is probably the total opposite of what the party needs right now.
What is it that you think is wrong with the party's image?

What is it you think the Republicans need now?
Saw that coming. Soon as anyone says anything that makes someone on the board think that you're a liberal they're on you for it. I am a Republican. However, the reason that the Democrats are in power now despite the fact that America is a generally conservative nation is because the country is blaming the current state of the nation on Bush and his cronies. He became the poster boy for all Republicans to liberals and independents, and it hurt the party. Now the country sees that Bush isn't the only problem with this country and, in fact, the Democrats are doing a pretty darn good job of screwing it up on their own. But to put in someone like Sarah Palin who is an ineffectual speaker, not the brightest bulb in the lamp, and frankly doesn't know her poop chute from her elbow when it comes to foreign policy, economy, or any of the other problems currently plaguing our nation into a position of power will only serve to remind everyone of Bush's ineptitude. The party is recovering from the 2000-2008 years, and giving leverage to a female version of what alienated people in the first place is not going to help the reconstruction project. The party needs a McCain or a Romney, both experienced politicians who bring in a lot of know-how, to do the whole wise and responsible leader bit. The way to take back the Congress and the government is to show that your candidate has the knowledge and experience to fix the old screw ups and prevent more from occurring, as it's become evident that the current leaders don't have those things.