LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote: Did what here? Become a third world nation?
Oh - I forgot:
Guinness wrote:Thank garsh we've got enough money to fund all of these great idears! What's a trill here or there when you can...

See, Ben? Money really does grow on trees!

Give them time! :)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/world ... venez.html

In other news, in Venezuela, which has some of the largest energy reserves in the world, there have been six nationwide blackouts in the last two years, in addition to a bunch of smaller ones. Severe water rationing is also occurring. Ahhh....the wonders of excessive government intervention in the private sector.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

By the way, if cap and trade legislation is passed by the lefties in Congress, expect a LOT of what's happening in Venezuela
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

shafnutz05 wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/world ... venez.html

In other news, in Venezuela, which has some of the largest energy reserves in the world, there have been six nationwide blackouts in the last two years, in addition to a bunch of smaller ones. Severe water rationing is also occurring. Ahhh....the wonders of excessive government intervention in the private sector.
Oh course that is going to happen. You are talking about a one party system in that country. There is no comparison between that and any U.S. regulation now or in the past. In that part of the world the complete opposite happens as well just look at Bolivia.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

:scared:
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

shafnutz05 wrote:Image
Do you want Obama to slap him around? Didn't some U.S. presidents talk to the godless commies at the height of the Cold War.

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

World leaders, or "boyz"?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote: Do you want Obama to slap him around?
That would have been hilarious.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

lol....Chairman Mao looks like he is crying there. Tricky Dick had quite a knack for diplomacy.

Speaking of diplomacy, did you hear Obama refused an invitation to go speak at the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall? Bad, bad form, Mr. President.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/world ... venez.html

Oh course that is going to happen. You are talking about a one party system in that country. There is no comparison between that and any U.S. regulation now or in the past. In that part of the world the complete opposite happens as well just look at Bolivia.
We have more than one party in this country? Huh... who knew? :P
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

shafnutz05 wrote:lol....Chairman Mao looks like he is crying there. Tricky Dick had quite a knack for diplomacy.

Speaking of diplomacy, did you hear Obama refused an invitation to go speak at the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall? Bad, bad form, Mr. President.
What would he say?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote: What would he say?
How about starting with something like, "We're here to mark a seminal event in human history - the collapse of a great, evil empire founded upon the notion that the state is greater than the individual. And stay tuned, because we're about to witness it again..." ;)
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by rasbatch »

and if he did you'd be saying "he should be in this country working on this country's problems"
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11 ... niversary/

It was the principle of the thing. The fall of the Berlin Wall was one of the crowning achievements for Western democracy, and this was the 20th anniversary. He managed to find time to go to Copenhagen to lobby for his buddies in Chicago, and is going to Oslo next month to accept his ill-deserved Nobel Peace Prize. He has apologized for America's bad behavior all over the world, but is the only major head of state to not accept the invitation to celebrate something that represented all that is great about this country. Carter or Clinton would have never refused an invitation to celebrate the anniversary of such a historic event.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Obama had nothing to do with the wall falling and neither did America. I don't see it as a big deal if he didn't give some speech. Let the people that lived under that horrible system give the accounts of what it is like to really have freedom stolen from you.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

rasbatch wrote:and if he did you'd be saying "he should be in this country working on this country's problems"
No, not at all. You think I am unreasonable, but I am not. This is the anniversary of a historic moment and one of the most important events of the entire 20th century. With how closely we are tied with Europe, he should have been there. My point is, he has time to go do his political stunt/ego trip to Copenhagen to help out Mayor Daley, and fly to Oslo to accept his Nobel Peace Prize. But he basically tells Europe (and Germany in particular): Sorry...I'm too busy to waste my time celebrating a meaningless anniversary.

Then again, this shouldn't come as a surprise. Since he has been elected, he has made a concerted effort to alienate our most loyal allies and embrace hostile governments.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

doublem wrote:Obama had nothing to do with the wall falling and neither did America. I don't see it as a big deal if he didn't give some speech. Let the people that lived under that horrible system give the accounts of what it is like to really have freedom stolen from you.
He was invited by the German government....that is part of diplomacy. Europe and the United States are forever intertwined. Do you remember how often we heard about how Obama was going to be the biggest diplomatic expert in American history? Instead, his administration has been marked by a bunch of diplomatic flubs so far. The 25-DVD box set he gave to Gordon Brown stands out particularly, not to mention the way he basically snubbed the prime minister when he traveled across the Atlantic to visit.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

The fall of the Berlin Wall was one of the crowning achievements for Western democracyshowed why Marxism was a unsustainable system that was going to collapse at one point or another.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Instead, his administration has been marked by a bunch of diplomatic flubs so far. The 25-DVD box set he gave to Gordon Brown stands out particularly, not to mention the way he basically snubbed the prime minister when he traveled across the Atlantic to visit.
I don't think the Europeans are going to be mad at us.
Last edited by doublem on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

doublem wrote:The fall of the Berlin Wall was one of the crowning achievements for Western democracyshowed why Marxism was a unsustainable system that was going to collapse at one point or another.
I would say it was a combination of the two.

But again, I go back to the diplomacy aspect of things. President Obama has appeared almost as (if not more) aloof than Bush when it comes to diplomatic skills. Eastern Europe feels like we have turned our back on them, the Germans are P.O'ed at us now, and the Brits were disgusted with the way we conducted the diplomatic visit back in March. I feel like he is going out of his way to acommodate nations with possibly hostile intentions, and snubbing nations that have historically been solid allies of ours.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

rasbatch wrote:and if he did you'd be saying "he should be in this country working on this country's problems"
I'd rather he just go play golf. Or basketball. Or go on vacation (on his own dime, of course). Or read the newspaper funnies (I don't want him reading about some "issue" and get to thinking he should be "doing" something about it).
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

doublem wrote:I don't think the Europeans are going to be made at us.
They are not mad at us, just understandably disgusted at the diplomatic incompetence of the president's staff. Read the papers over there...he isn't exactly Mr. Popular anymore (quickly becoming the opposite)
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

lol Guinness...I can go with that. Maybe get a foursome together with Obama, Pelosi, Reid, and Gore. Give them unlimited golf from now until 2012 at any course of their choice.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

doublem wrote:Obama had nothing to do with the wall falling and neither did America. I don't see it as a big deal if he didn't give some speech. Let the people that lived under that horrible system give the accounts of what it is like to really have freedom stolen from you.
Or, we can just wait and experience it for ourselves!! :D ;)