LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by HomerPenguin »

The principle of the thing is all fine and dandy, but translate it into something practical. I don't want to keep subsidizing illegal immigrants, or anybody else for that matter, receiving ER treatment without insurance. Does anybody else?

You know how you could end or at least shrink the problem? Top executives at any company found to be employing illegals get one year in prison for every illegal they're employing. But we'd rather blame the dirt-poor indigent workers, about whom there is no good solution, than the companies that employ them to avoid having to pay legal wages to legal residents, about which there may be a fairly straightforward solution. How grotesque is that?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

HomerPenguin wrote:The principle of the thing is all fine and dandy, but translate it into something practical. I don't want to keep subsidizing illegal immigrants, or anybody else for that matter, receiving ER treatment without insurance. Does anybody else?

You know how you could end or at least shrink the problem? Top executives at any company found to be employing illegals get one year in prison for every illegal they're employing. But we'd rather blame the dirt-poor indigent workers, about whom there is no good solution, than the companies that employ them to avoid having to pay legal wages to legal residents, about which there may be a fairly straightforward solution. How grotesque is that?
I like this.

1 year for every illegal PLUS 100k per
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I wonder how all the independants who voted for Obama but recognize this health care bill for the mess it is like being called racists for not supporting it?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Agree Homer....I want to punish the hell out of managers/owners/execs that knowingly employ illegals without documents
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

shafnutz05 wrote:Hey Dagny, exactly what Iam talking about.....the slippery slope. God bless the immigrants who toil and work hard coming to this country...I see them all the time and they are so happy to be here. You are right...what kind of message does that send? "Hey, why would I stay here in Mexico, when I can walk across the Rio Grande, pop out a kid, and be eligible for all of the government entitlement programs I could possibly imagine?"

Mark my words...if amnesty is EVER approved, look out. You will see the largest transfer of population (from Latin America to the United States) in recent history. Our economy will literally collapse under the added strain on our resources.
I've posted about this before. I work in the restaurant industry. The entire kitchen staff is illegal (though, the owner is sponsoring those that are elligible for their papers). They are some of the best people, family oriented, hardest workers for doughnuts to dollars, I've ever known.

I am always torn on this subject, due to the above. However, I must separate my emotions from this equation, when taking into consideration all of those people who have tried to follow the law, are still waiting to come here from 3rd world countries. Where is the sympathy for those people?

Therefore, as harsh as it sounds, emotion can not be part of the decision making process here. Who do you choose between? So, I must go with right vs. wrong. Those that are violating the law should not be rewarded, those that are following the law, should not be punished.

Keep in mind, I live but 2hrs from Tijuana. It's a different animal here than it is there. Something else people seem to lose sight of: there are immigrants from all over the world waiting to gain entrance here, yet nearly sole focus is placed on the mexicans.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

This is an issue that has no easy solutions. I can't blame illegals for trying to get a better life. How could you? Some end up dying on the way over. The situation in some of these countries are awful, what can the U.S. do to change that? I don't think anyone really wants to solve this problem. Why do Walmart want to stop paying someone under the poverty level? They win in this deal, so until someone starts dropping huge bombs on these companies nothing will ever get better , and the government doesn't have the stomach to take on huge companies so......
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by eddysnake »

shafnutz05 wrote:Bill O'Reilly isn't as right-wing as a lot of people on the Left make him out to be. I have heard him stake out some pretty moderate positions.
From time to time I don't mind watching Bill-O, out of curiousity, does he consider himself "right-wing"? He seems to be more in the middle on a lot of stuff, but he's on FOX NEWS, so that automatically makes him righty, right?. I find it extremely hard to stomach olberman? on MSNBC, even watching it knowing his gimmick, it's tough to watch. That doesn't mean Bill doesn't have his moments, but I find him more appealing to both sides than the other. Man it's tough watching news on TV, because they all try so hard to sell you crap, but I do enjoy the News Hour with Jim Leher on PBS if I have to watch something. I like Bill Mahr as well, he's pretty good at sorting through the garbage.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

From time to time I don't mind watching Bill-O, out of curiousity, does he consider himself "right-wing"?
Bill O calls himself a "traditionalist" which bothers me more then being "right wing".
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

HomerPenguin wrote:The principle of the thing is all fine and dandy, but translate it into something practical. I don't want to keep subsidizing illegal immigrants, or anybody else for that matter, receiving ER treatment without insurance. Does anybody else?

Eliminate the minimum wage.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:

That would result in people being paid even less and force them to work longer hours.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I am putting politics out of my mind until Monday :)

Have a great weekend everybody...not sure how much summer weather will be left, so enjoy it while it lasts!!!!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

Not a bad idea, but the devil, as always, is in the details. What about the nanny, the lawn guy, the nail salon worker? If I employ an illegal nanny for child care purposes, am i subjected to the same rules?

Just asking.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Guinness wrote:

Or, better yet, we could let people sell themselves into slavery.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

ExPatriatePen wrote:Not a bad idea, but the devil, as always, is in the details. What about the nanny, the lawn guy, the nail salon worker? If I employ an illegal nanny for child care purposes, am i subjected to the same rules?
Yes. Enjoy your year in the big house. To make room for these folks, we'll legalize pot.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

HomerPenguin wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Very, very sneaky Mr. Obama. This is the most transparent attempt at artificially increasing their percentage of the voting bloc I have ever seen. Is there anyone on this board that actually thinks the Democrats want amnesty for the 13 million illegal aliens because they deeply care for their plight? Or how about the fact it will essentially add 13 million voters to the Democratic rolls?
Am I missing something? Where does it say they're all going to be given citizenship and voting rights?

This is a bad idea, but so is not doing anything (which means we can all keep paying extra for illegals to get ER treatment) and so is trying to deport 13 million people. There is no clean solution to the immigration problem at this point.
How about we just deal with the illegal alien problem, instead of like the last two administrations. Send them home period. I am very angry with this situation as I see it every day. To the point where people have bunkhouses in the back to house these people... So they can skim an income off of their paychecks... Never mind those that profit through the use of their labor... It all sounds good until the majority is unemployed and the majority is paying for ER visits etc...
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Ron` wrote:How about we just deal with the illegal alien problem, instead of like the last two administrations. Send them home period.
OK. How do you propose paying for the new 4 million person INS so we can round up all 13 million of them and ship them home?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

I agree completely, and am sorry if my last post appeared to be in disagreement.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

HomerPenguin wrote:
Ron` wrote:How about we just deal with the illegal alien problem, instead of like the last two administrations. Send them home period.
OK. How do you propose paying for the new 4 million person INS so we can round up all 13 million of them and ship them home?
I already had my proposal on the board, 50 cal machine gun towers at the border. All remote controlled from on line access. Stops so they can't swing on the next tower. Kids will line up for this 24-7 to man a tower. Post the high scores daily and you have a free border gaurd.

The savings will pay for shipping those that are here back and the numbers will decline...

As far as executives that exploit them, don't even ask what I think should be done to them.....
Last edited by Ron` on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Ron` wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
I already had my proposal on the board, 50 cal machine gun towers at the border. All remote controlled from on line access. Stops so they can't swing on the next tower. Kids will line up for this 24-7 to man a tower. Post the high scores daily and you have a free border gaurd.

The savings will pay for shipping those that are here back and the numbers will decline...
Heck, why not let people log on to pilot UAVs over Tijuana and drop ordinance on them before they ever get near the border?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

HomerPenguin wrote:
Ron` wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:OK. How do you propose paying for the new 4 million person INS so we can round up all 13 million of them and ship them home?

Heck, why not let people log on to pilot UAVs over Tijuana and drop ordinance on them before they ever get near the border?
Now you are talking attack, let's not go there as defense of our borders is a right... Attack is another issue and I wouldn't agree with that.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

Ron` wrote:Now you are talking attack, let's not go there as defense of our borders is a right... Attack is another issue and I wouldn't agree with that.
What about a minefield along the border? That'll teach them.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

HomerPenguin wrote:
Ron` wrote:Now you are talking attack, let's not go there as defense of our borders is a right... Attack is another issue and I wouldn't agree with that.
What about a minefield along the border? That'll teach them.
Minefields kill too many innocent creatures along with innocent humans.... But who knows it may come to that if it keeps going this direction....
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Just to qualify the I wouldn't be an advocate of attack comment, it's not the people's fault. They try to get here because of the conditions that exist from where they are coming. But they are rapidly creating the same conditions here. Along with the executives and politico's who want to use them for their own purposes or gains. Essentially they are enslaved labor. We just don't have to round them up as a nation and bring them here in chains anymore.... As a Nation, I thought we already passed that state, but we digress....
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Wow, so now this craptastic health care plan is going hand-in-hand with amnesty. Awesome. This is perhaps the boldest move I have ever seen just to prove someone wrong when they have justly been called a liar. Can't give health care to illegals if there are no illegals!

[youtube][/youtube]
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

HomerPenguin wrote:
Guinness wrote:
Or, better yet, we could let people sell themselves into slavery.
I guess that's really the crux of it - protecting people we consider to be too stupid to protect themselves.