LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by Dean Wormer »

Didn't Welch call Eisenhower a "communist stooge"?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://www.newscred.com/article/show/ti ... f8/2022088" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, what a bunch of cowards. How do you let a bunch of crazies take over this country?
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

Who's to say there aren't Christian right groups blocking its release? I fail to see why this is a knock on the left.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Dean Wormer wrote:Who's to say there aren't Christian right groups blocking its release? I fail to see why this is a knock on the left.
I think becasue people are afraid of offending the Christian right. Some company should pick it up becasue it has a great cast and is a MOVIE. This Darwin stuff was settled like over a century or so ago. If people are that easily offended then they shouldn't leave the house.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

doublem wrote:
Dean Wormer wrote:Who's to say there aren't Christian right groups blocking its release? I fail to see why this is a knock on the left.
I think becasue people are afraid of offending the Christian right. Some company should pick it up becasue it has a great cast and is a MOVIE. This Darwin stuff was settled like over a century or so ago. If people are that easily offended then they shouldn't leave the house.
1st, It doesnt offend me

Second, the Darwin thing was settled over a century ago? Could have fooled me.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

doublem wrote:
It doesn't necessarily have to be someone worried about offending the Christian right as the reason this movie hasn't found distribution yet. It very well could be the Christian right itself saying "you can't release this" and studios are trying right now to say "the hell we aren't" it just hasn't been official yet. Even so it doesn't matter because it will be released in the United States. This kind of hype will only add to that.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

PensFanInDC wrote:
doublem wrote:
1st, It doesnt offend me

Huh?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Dean Wormer wrote:
doublem wrote:
It doesn't necessarily have to be someone worried about offending the Christian right as the reason this movie hasn't found distribution yet. It very well could be the Christian right itself saying "you can't release this" and studios are trying right now to say "the hell we aren't" it just hasn't been official yet. Even so it doesn't matter because it will be released in the United States. This kind of hype will only add to that.
That might be the case, but why is that even an issue? It shouldn't even be hype, it's about the man's life. It has nothing to do with religion at all.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

doublem wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
doublem wrote:I think becasue people are afraid of offending the Christian right. Some company should pick it up becasue it has a great cast and is a MOVIE. This Darwin stuff was settled like over a century or so ago. If people are that easily offended then they shouldn't leave the house.
1st, It doesnt offend me

Huh?
Im assuming you meant the evolution thing.

I believe that species evolve. For crying out loud there are aquatic iguanas found only on the gallapagos (sp?) I just dont believe humans came from monkeys. We may have evolved WITHIN our species, just not FROM monkeys and not to the extreme some believe.

We probably have less hair and walk taller then humans 10,000 years ago. That doesn't mean it wasn't all part of the plan. People are taller now than we were even 200 years ago. Species adapt. It does NOT mean we evolved from monkeys.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

doublem wrote:
Dean Wormer wrote:It doesn't necessarily have to be someone worried about offending the Christian right as the reason this movie hasn't found distribution yet. It very well could be the Christian right itself saying "you can't release this" and studios are trying right now to say "the hell we aren't" it just hasn't been official yet. Even so it doesn't matter because it will be released in the United States. This kind of hype will only add to that.
That might be the case, but why is that even an issue? It shouldn't even be hype, it's about the man's life. It has nothing to do with religion at all.
a. It involves Charles Darwin, religion is going to be dragged in, like it or not.
b. You're right it isn't an issue. The movie debuted on the 10th. Just because there isn't US distribution yet doesn't mean the film studios are afraid of the Christian right.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

doublem wrote:That might be the case, but why is that even an issue? It shouldn't even be hype, it's about the man's life. It has nothing to do with religion at all.
Not having seen the movie, I cant agree or disagree. For all I know it plain out says "There is no God. We came from Monkeys."

Either way, go ahead and release it. People are free to choose what they wish. I have faith in God and Christ and intelligent design. If somone else doesn't, then they are free to do so.

To see the other side you can visit http://www.godandscience.org/

Specifically http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/index.html
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Ok, I really don't want to get into this, but why as a person of faith does that matter? Where in the bible does it say anything about evolution or natural selection? The bible is not a book of science.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Post by Bob McKenzie »

doublem wrote:Ok, I really don't want to get into this, but why as a person of faith does that matter? Where in the bible does it say anything about evolution or natural selection? The bible is not a book of science.
I guess you did... :roll: :lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

doublem wrote:Ok, I really don't want to get into this, but why as a person of faith does that matter? Where in the bible does it say anything about evolution or natural selection? The bible is not a book of science.
Why does what matter? I dont understand the subject.

The bible doesn't say anything about evolution or natural selection....that's kind of my point.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Dean Wormer wrote:
doublem wrote:
Dean Wormer wrote:It doesn't necessarily have to be someone worried about offending the Christian right as the reason this movie hasn't found distribution yet. It very well could be the Christian right itself saying "you can't release this" and studios are trying right now to say "the hell we aren't" it just hasn't been official yet. Even so it doesn't matter because it will be released in the United States. This kind of hype will only add to that.
a. It involves Charles Darwin, religion is going to be dragged in, like it or not.
b. You're right it isn't an issue. The movie debuted on the 10th. Just because there isn't US distribution yet doesn't mean the film studios are afraid of the Christian right.
I'm just going by what the producer thinks and in the rest of the world it has deals. Darwin didn't hate religion, he was a scientist.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

And while The Bible is not "a book of science" it is a book of God and God created science.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:I just dont believe humans came from monkeys.
Neither does anybody else, in that phrasing.
We probably have less hair and walk taller then humans 10,000 years ago. That doesn't mean it wasn't all part of the plan.
That also doesn't mean that those changes haven't been purely driven by natural selection.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

PensFanInDC wrote:
I think becasue people are afraid of offending the Christian right.
1st, It doesnt offend me
I don't know if you intend to sound like you're speaking for all Christians when you write things like this, but you do.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

HomerPenguin wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
I think becasue people are afraid of offending the Christian right.
1st, It doesnt offend me
I don't know if you intend to sound like you're speaking for all Christians when you write things like this, but you do.
If I speak the truth then I speak for all Christians.

and I understand what you mean. I should have said "as a Christian it doesnt offend me." Is that better? :D
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

doublem wrote:I'm just going by what the producer thinks and in the rest of the world it has deals. Darwin didn't hate religion, he was a scientist.
And the producer stands to make a whole lot more money if there is a ton of controversy surrounding their movie before it even has US distribution.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

PensFanInDC wrote:
Why does what matter? I dont understand the subject.

The bible doesn't say anything about evolution or natural selection....that's kind of my point.
I just don't see why if you believe in evolution you can't believe in god. I never got that.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Dean Wormer wrote:
doublem wrote:I'm just going by what the producer thinks and in the rest of the world it has deals. Darwin didn't hate religion, he was a scientist.
And the producer stands to make a whole lot more money if there is a ton of controversy surrounding their movie before it even has US distribution.
I guess so if you think people in this country care enough to go.
Dean Wormer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Dean Wormer »

doublem wrote:
Dean Wormer wrote:
I guess so if you think people in this country care enough to go.
If it's a good movie they'll go. If the movie is terrible it will still probably make more money than another terrible movie would simply because of people talking about it on message boards.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

When has anyone been afraid of offending the Christian Right?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »