LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by Bob McKenzie »

doublem wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:
doublem wrote:I'm sick about hearing about ACORN, I never even heard of them until Glenn Beck decided to dedicate his life to talking them down. I'm sure there are tons of groups that have members that do unsavory things, but that doesn't mean the entire group should be abolished.
Of course YOU would be sick of hearing about ACORN. :lol:
I don't get caught up on talk radio, emotional stories that get people all worked up and outraged. Like they are the first group in this country to be guilty of voter fraud, it happens all the time.
Of course you don't. You're only selective about what you get "caught up" about.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

He wants as much unemployment as possible. More people without jobs=more people without healthcare=more people who theoretically should support his takeover of the private sector.
Just like how conservatives get middle class voters to do the same thing on religion, gun rights, and thinking that they will be rich one day, right? There has never been a party in the last 30 years that have played to people's emotions better then the right.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Not really. What they did was wrong, but I'm not going to go insane about, and make it a news story for months on end, and act like they killed my dog or something.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Ok, I'm as disturbed by doublem's comments as anyone else, however, let's not turn this into a gang up attack, k?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

I don't get why some groups are picked on, like ACORN or Van Jones, voter fraud is bad, I never said it was good, but the zeal in which they attack is insane, that's my issues. Yet, things like blackwater, or 150 million dollar Pharma deals can go all most completely unnoticed by the press.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Bob McKenzie »

doublem wrote:I don't get why some groups are picked on, like ACORN or Van Jones, voter fraud is bad, I never said it was good, but the zeal in which they attack is insane, that's my issues. Yet, things like blackwater, or 150 million dollar Pharma deals can go all most completely unnoticed by the press.
Picked on? Are you serious? ACORN or Van Jones were picked on? Give me a break.

What are you talking about? I saw the blackwater issues everywhere. Your reality is very subjective to what you want to see IMO.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Bob McKenzie wrote:
doublem wrote:I don't get why some groups are picked on, like ACORN or Van Jones, voter fraud is bad, I never said it was good, but the zeal in which they attack is insane, that's my issues. Yet, things like blackwater, or 150 million dollar Pharma deals can go all most completely unnoticed by the press.

What are you talking about? I saw the blackwater issues everywhere. Your reality is very subjective to what you want to see IMO.
Kind of like how constant talking about Van Jones like he is the next Karl Marx got him fired, right? They hammer these issues home on Fox News all the time. They have been doing this stuff for decades. The right is great at making people into pure evil. What do I want to see?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Bob McKenzie »

doublem wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:

Kind of like how constant talking about Van Jones like he is the next Karl Marx got him fired, right? They hammer these issues home on Fox News all the time. They have been doing this stuff for decades. The right is great at making people into pure evil. What do I want to see?
Who cares about Fox News. I'm sorry, but there was so much video of Van Jones spewing his un-American rhetoric that the Democrats didn't even stick up for him. You honestly think there was nothing wrong with Van Jones holding a Presidential advisory position? Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking with here. Of course you don't.

Democrat/Republican/Independent/Alien/Sasquatch/whatever anyone is, you have video out the wazoo of Van Jones and his enormous amount of anti-government rhetoric. You now have 3 different videos of Acorn offices in Baltimore, Washington DC, and Brooklyn advising pimps/prostitutes on how to evade US tax laws and supporting to help people who tell them they are blatently breaking the law, including going to turn underage girls out for "tricks," not to mention the organized voter fraud investigations they are under at the moment.

When I worked for the government, one thing was always preached to us. One thing was always made the very most important part regarding our security clearances. When you start working for the government, you even take an oath swearing to it. Integrity.

Somehow you can defend and turn a blind eye to those who have no integrity because they aren't conservative people or organizations being questioned. You have no problem (and rightfully so I might add) in arguing how bad blackwater was/is. I just find your blind eye to things that are wrong, regardless of the political affiliations they are associated to, one of the worst if not the worst of distortion of any poster on this site.

Van Jones - Bad
ACORN - Bad
Blackwater - Bad

Yet, you make it seem like the conservatives are picking on people that have no right being targeted, as if they are the victim. Why does it always have to be a conservative/liberal viewpoint? Isn't it as easy as seeing right from wrong?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

I have to agree with Bob's statement. This isn't about right/left, it's about right and wrong. It is an absolute travesty that ACORN has received $53 million in taxpayer money since the mid-1990s. Blackwater is bad too, and there has been PLENTY of reporting on it.

But back to the ACORN story. This is an absolutely massive voter fraud case in 14 different states. One of the largest "community organizations" in the country. You asked what it has to do with Obama? He was an attorney for ACORN in Chicago, he worked as a leadership trainer for ACORN, and he has stated in the past that this group will help shape his policy.

doublem, you said that the Republicans have been the best at playing on emotions for the past 30 years? Come on...the Democrats have been the party of voting with your heart for decades. Hence naming that bloated healthcare monstrosity after Teddy K while his corpse is still cooling to room temperature. Every time there is a tragedy or prominent political death, the Democrats are the first to try and capitalize on it politically.

Just imagine if after the Bush election in 2000, a massive conservative voter fraud case opened up in 14 different states that he won. With its workers telling pimps and prostitutes how to open up tax-free brothels in inner cities. You think the media would cover that? Whether you want to admit it or not, this ACORN story is huge. Unfortunately, CNN/NBC/ABC/CBS/MSNBC/NYT/WaPo have all decided to keep it buried on page 22b, if it is even printed at all. FOX News is the only channel that has reported it.

Say what you want about FNC. I will be the first to admit it is conservatively biased. And I am happy it is, since almost every other media outlet slants the other way. Without talk radio, FOX News, and the blogosphere, there would literally be no check or balance on this adminstration.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

SEX SLAVES! SEX SLAVES! ACORN WAS GOING TO HELP PEOPLE WRITE UNDER AGE SEX SLAVES OFF ON THEIR TAXES!!

What is there not to get??
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

You now have 3 different videos of Acorn offices in Baltimore, Washington DC, and Brooklyn advising pimps/prostitutes on how to evade US tax laws and supporting to help people who tell them they are blatently breaking the law, including going to turn underage girls out for "tricks," not to mention the organized voter fraud investigations they are under at the moment.
Those videos happened last week. I'm talking about the coverage that has been happening for months.
You honestly think there was nothing wrong with Van Jones holding a Presidential advisory position? Oh wait, I forgot who I was talking with here. Of course you don't.
The only problem I had with Van Jones was the 9-11 truth thing. Other then that I have no problem at all.
Somehow you can defend and turn a blind eye to those who have no integrity because they aren't conservative people or organizations being questioned. You have no problem (and rightfully so I might add) in arguing how bad blackwater was/is. I just find your blind eye to things that are wrong, regardless of the political affiliations they are associated to, one of the worst if not the worst of distortion of any poster on this site.
Like who? When did I say what ACORN did was right? Or that they shouldn't be punished for what they did? I'm talking about media coverage. That's great for you, but I have no political affiliations. I'm not a Democratic, I don't support that party. I'm left on most issues, but I really don't have much interest in what happens in this country. This country has long abandoned any real left movements.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

doublem....about the media coverage. Conservative news and talk radio outlets have been saying for months that ACORN is as crooked as a dog's hind leg. They should have been outed a long time ago. There has been plenty of coverage about ACORN's extremely shady operations, but not from the mainstream media. Now, they are pretty much forced to at least mention it because of how scandalous the charges are.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Come on...the Democrats have been the party of voting with your heart for decades. Hence naming that bloated healthcare monstrosity after Teddy K while his corpse is still cooling to room temperature. Every time there is a tragedy or prominent political death, the Democrats are the first to try and capitalize on it politically.
They haven't been very good at it have they? This is the party of religion, pro-life, guns, flag-waving, how much more emotional can you get?
Just imagine if after the Bush election in 2000

You want to bring up the 2000 election?
You asked what it has to do with Obama? He was an attorney for ACORN in Chicago, he worked as a leadership trainer for ACORN, and he has stated in the past that this group will help shape his policy
You do realize that not everyone in ACORN was trying to sell sex slaves and involved in voter fraud right? I think like 11 were convicted
Unfortunately, CNN/NBC/ABC/CBS/MSNBC/NYT/WaPo have all decided to keep it buried on page 22b, if it is even printed at all. FOX News is the only channel that has reported it.

Just becasue Fox news tells people something is liberal doesn't make it so. MSNBC is the only one of the group that you could say is liberal. Fox News is nothing, but an arm of the conservative movement.
Without talk radio, FOX News, and the blogosphere, there would literally be no check or balance on this adminstration.
They are pretty big, and control a lot of the information in this country, so I don't think you will have to worry.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

doublem wrote:You do realize that not everyone in ACORN was trying to sell sex slaves and involved in voter fraud right? I think like 11 were convicted
I understand that. What I am saying is, if a Republican president would have been involved in any capacity with an organization like this, it would have rightfully gotten a decent bit of airplay.

On another note, if you don't think the New York Times is about as left-wing as it gets, you're out of your mind.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Sorry for the size. It's tough to read.

doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

shafnutz05 wrote:doublem....about the media coverage. Conservative news and talk radio outlets have been saying for months that ACORN is as crooked as a dog's hind leg. They should have been outed a long time ago. There has been plenty of coverage about ACORN's extremely shady operations, but not from the mainstream media. Now, they are pretty much forced to at least mention it because of how scandalous the charges are.
Ok, but the thing is they make up so much other crap it is hard to tell if anything they say has any merit. And who is this mainstream media? Isn't Fox pretty mainstream for good honest Americans?
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

lol PFIDC
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

shafnutz05 wrote:
doublem wrote:You do realize that not everyone in ACORN was trying to sell sex slaves and involved in voter fraud right? I think like 11 were convicted
I understand that. What I am saying is, if a Republican president would have been involved in any capacity with an organization like this, it would have rightfully gotten a decent bit of airplay.

On another note, if you don't think the New York Times is about as left-wing as it gets, you're out of your mind.
Who the writes for the NYT that is left wing besides Paul Krugman. A job of a newspaper is to report news which they sometimes do.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Maureen Dowd, to name one. Not to mention the Times repeatedly turns down op-eds from conservative thinkers
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

shafnutz05 wrote:Maureen Dowd, to name one. Not to mention the Times repeatedly turns down op-eds from conservative thinkers
Conservatives always have an inferiority complex when it comes to stuff like this. They always think everyone is out to get them, yet they have owned the White House, Congress and popular opinion for decades.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

http://rawstory.com/blog/2009/09/lobbyi ... er-pelosi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh no, my liberal bias got in the way of saying Nancy Pelosi is owned by big money. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
They own this country, and where is the media on this?
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

doublem wrote: but I really don't have much interest in what happens in this country.
'nuff said.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by HomerPenguin »

shafnutz05 wrote:Not to mention the Times repeatedly turns down op-eds from conservative thinkers
List a few for us.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

dagny wrote:
doublem wrote: but I really don't have much interest in what happens in this country.
'nuff said.
My personal feelings on this countries future will have zero impact on the outcome. This country has been sold off long ago, and I see nothing to will change that.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Post by ExPatriatePen »

I think this 35 year old video is as "timely" as ever.

[youtube][/youtube]