LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by Ron` »

I think every incumbent representative is in the deep darks, irrespective of their party affiliation. The american people aren't buying this along with the actions to date. I just hope it awakens the american populous to how important the races are beyond the presidential race.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by profpolisci »

PensFanInDC wrote:That being said I will DVR it and watch it later. He's still our president and he's still addressing our executive branch and the population.
:thumb: :thumb:
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

profpolisci wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:That being said I will DVR it and watch it later. He's still our president and he's still addressing our executive branch and the population.
Agreed, it should be watched if you care about your future.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Although this is a largely a form letter response, contacting your representatives is what you have to do as a citizen. If they get enough response, it will make them realize the situation and their re-election may be in question. If enough constituents contact them they will or should wake up....

Dear Mr. Ron`:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about spending by the national government. I appreciated hearing from you on this important issue.

Your thoughts on this matter have merit. As you know, however, the United States is currently facing the greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression. In an effort to jumpstart our economy, Congress passed and President Obama signed into law, H.R. 1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. Generally speaking, this legislation provides nearly $800 billion in federal spending and tax cuts to create or save millions of jobs and provide assistance to Americans who are currently unemployed.

While the final recovery bill is not perfect, nor does it address all my concerns, I strongly believe that we needed to take quick action to help Americans who are struggling and help spur job creation. We are in a time of crisis, and doing nothing is not an option. I agree with President Obama - time is of the essence, and we needed to act quickly to pass a recovery package.

In addition, you may be pleased to learn that I am an original cosponsor of H.R. 2920, the Statutory Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGO) Act of 2009. Generally speaking, PAYGO requires that any legislation passed be paid for and cannot add to the deficient except in certain emergency situations. In the 1990s, PAYGO was an active law and helped turn budget deficits into surpluses under President Clinton.

The House of Representatives recently considered the PAYGO Act on July 22, 2009. After much debate, the House passed PAYGO Act, with my strong support, by a vote of 265-166. In order for this legislation to become law, the Senate must pass it and the President must sign it.

Finally, as the 111th Congress continues its work, we will negotiate and pass additional bills that will fund our federal agencies and programs. Throughout these debates, you can rest assured that I will continue to keep in mind your thoughts and work to ensure that we use taxpayer dollars in a responsible and appropriate manner.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to call, write, or email me on this or any other matter that concerns you.

Sincerely,
Paul E. Kanjorski
Member of Congress

Sorry Paul, but you are on the bandwagon leading the parade to fiscal doom imo.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

Ron I find it very interesting that your congressman chose to use the stimulus to defend the spending by Congress...I always thought "saved jobs" was a BS statistic, since it is completely unquantifiable.

And I am tired of hearing that this is the "worst crisis since the 1920s".........WRONG! It is the worst crisis since the Carter era. He had the bright idea to establish price controls on gasoline, and we all know what happened after that. Reagan came in, cut taxes, deregulated, and took away the price controls, and America entered one of the longest periods of prosperity in its time.

Too bad this congress doesn't understand that CITIZENS stimulate the economy by spending their money, not government.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Ron` wrote:
profpolisci wrote:
Agreed, it should be watched if you care about your future.
With all due respect I must disagree with the underlying sentiment I'm detecting here... In my opinion it's due to the excess of dignity which we've bestowed upon our public servants that we find ourselves in our current pickle. Mr. president, just like mr. representative and mrs. senator, owe it to US to do their duty and hear us when we speak to them. These people are not our rulers. They do not command our respect, nor our attention.

I don't know if by chance the sentiment expressed here is one of being guarded, but I sense that it is one of bestowing respect upon "the office". This is a destructive position, in my opinion. We need these people to be less regarded, not more. We need to be more self-reliant, and to pay greater attention to our close-circles, not some side-show in Washington. Maybe even more than our money, these people crave our attention.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Some similar campaign posters:

:pop:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

This article from the '50's is good reading at mises.org. Update the text by changing the word, "liberal" to "statist", or "party-partisan", and it's dead-on for our current epoch.

Good reading over there today, by the way...

Check out the main page too, if you get a chance. :)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

One thing we can say about the drooling idiot who preceeded him - he employed no heroic imagery. Of course, how could have he?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Guinness wrote:One thing we can say about the drooling idiot who preceeded him - he employed no heroic imagery. Of course, how could have he?
Oh, I don't know about that:

Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Touche!

Also I just remembered this one:

Imperial Presidency...
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Guinness wrote:Touche!

Also I just remembered this one:

Imperial Presidency...
But if we were ever attacked by aliens I'd want Bush in office just like this guy:

and certainly not this guy:

shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

lol funny story....I was actually at the Pleasant VAlley Bowling Center in Altoona when Obama "bowled" his famous game. It was unbelievably and unintentionally hilarious. He looked like a fish so far out of water it wasn't even funny. Everyone that was in attendance couldn't stop laughing at how bad he was, and how awkward the moment was. I have seen 5 year olds at birthday parties bowl better than that...with or without bumpers.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... elp-obama/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whats next? Chairman Obama's Little Red Book?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

shafnutz05 wrote:lol funny story....I was actually at the Pleasant VAlley Bowling Center in Altoona when Obama "bowled" his famous game. It was unbelievably and unintentionally hilarious. He looked like a fish so far out of water it wasn't even funny. Everyone that was in attendance couldn't stop laughing at how bad he was, and how awkward the moment was. I have seen 5 year olds at birthday parties bowl better than that...with or without bumpers.
Lets not forget afterward he went on a late night comedy show and made fun of the disabled.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

pittsoccer33 wrote:http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... elp-obama/

I'm not liking the idea of any President directly addressing school children in this manner.

Wait, did I say school children, I meant "SCHOOCHILDREN":

Like I really want these morons dictating anything to my kid in school when they can't even spell school correctly. It would be like putting a tax cheat in charge of the Treasury. Oh, wait...
Last edited by DelPen on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

He's got his pal, the terrorist, Bill Ayers running around in academia dictating school cirriculum as a way to indoctrinate kids.

Force kids to go to failing schools, teach them what a "downright mean" country this is (to borrow a phrase from the First Lady), how unfair capitalism is, how terrible oil companies and big corporations are, show them Al Gore and Michael Moore films, and now the President himself is going to get into the classroom and tell kids their parents are wrong and that only by following the Democrats can they hope to achieve anything.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Geezer »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09 ... re-reform/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those of you objecting to the Poster making and the like for Big Brother Barrack are probably the same racists objecting to Obamacare. I'm not sure that you reach the terrorist category that Moveon.Org categorizes those opposred to the government healthcare plan.
Can you imagine if Bush addressed the school kids while in office and suggestions to make posters for GW and to read books about him? This is hilarious.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

I know I've stated that I try to stay away from the "government is inefficient" line of argument... so I'll let this article about government deficits do it. :)
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I don't know about anyone else but I am STILL waiting for my Brooks Brothers suit, a check from the RNC and my package that includes my signs and talking points from the insurance industry. I won't be able to go to my Congressman's townhall tonight unless I am told what to say because I can't think for myself.
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stopper40 »

I work with a guy who swore GWB was going to create some kind of crisis to suspend the constitution void the election and appoint himself chairman or king or president for life. I could actually see this guy doing that
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

stopper40 wrote:

I work with a guy who swore GWB was going to create some kind of crisis to suspend the constitution void the election and appoint himself chairman or king or president for life. I could actually see this guy doing that
He would love to do that. You can tell he really wishes he was president of a banana republic. Barney Frank and Harry Reid have both tried to get rid of the 22nd Amendment.

You have his Minority Radio Station Ownership Equality Czar talking about how great a job Hugo Chavez did with the media down there (he appointed himself El Presidente for life and now runs the media) and then last week Congresswoman Maxine Waters gave this diatribe on how great it was that Fidel Castro and Che Guavara killed and exiled the Cuban property owners and then stole from them.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

pittsoccer33 wrote:You have his Minority Radio Station Ownership Equality Czar talking about how great a job Hugo Chavez did with the media down there (he appointed himself El Presidente for life and now runs the media) and then last week Congresswoman Maxine Waters gave this diatribe on how great it was that Fidel Castro and Che Guavara killed and exiled the Cuban property owners and then stole from them.
I will need some proof or a link about this before I form an opinion
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

stopper40 wrote:

:lol: What Constitution?