LGP Political Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: LGP Politcal Discussion Thread

Post by Guinness »

bh wrote:Guinness as you know I fairly libertarian in my beliefs like you, but for the sake of discussion I have a few questions for you. If the government still has powers to prosecute "encroachments" then we still have a ruling system, no? Someone still will have power and be in charge. So we will still have rules are rulers to follow. Sometimes you seem to be arguing for complete freedom, but really it's only freedom to a point. Also what makes you so sure that a minarchist form of government would be superior to the current system? I like freedom and want as much as I can get, but I'm not 100% absolutely sure that my thoughts and ideas jive with reality. I just want to hear what evidence you have that makes you thoroughly convinced it would work.
These are great questions. Out for a beer with a buddy last night, I realized the problem we were having in here yesterday. Every time we launch into a discussion, he makes sure we always define our terms. He's an English professor and he recognizes that it's not uncommon for two people to be using the same word but to be defining them completely differently.

So I would disagree with the use of the phrase, "rulers to follow". I don't believe that is in keeping with the spirit of every person's inherent autonomy and liberty, nor with the type of government this country was founded upon. Why that's relevant is this: government's role, aside from "provide for the national defense, etc.", is to prosecute violations of one's liberty (life, property, etc.) through force or fraud by another. Violating another person's liberty is an implicit denial of your own. That applies to government as well. Just as I may not initiate force/fraud against you, I also may not employ a third party to initiate force/fraud against you... ESPECIALLY if that third party is government - the reason is that government is a socially-sanctioned institution that we give the authority of force to. There is no authority to appeal to when government violates our liberty (this is goes to my point about income taxation).

As to what makes me think it would work, I guess we'd have to define the word "work" in this usage - what will bring about the greatest amount of order? What will bring about the greatest amount of happiness? To be honest, I'm not particularly concerned with this notion. I've said in these threads before that even if government were efficient, and brought about some great utility, etc., I would still oppose this form of government action on the grounds that it is unjust and immoral, in that it denies the right of the individual to his liberty and property. It is each of our lives to do with as we please - to succeed, to fail, to learn or to be stubborn. I generally try to stay away from the "government is inefficient" line of argument because that's not the point, to me.

Philosophically, I recognize that the logical conclusion of my position is anarchy, and like you I'm still evolving and wrestling with that in my mind. But the notion of limited government goes much further toward the preservation individual liberty than what we have now. Income taxation is a form of slavery, which I've tried to show in a post earlier. It's expressly the denial of your ownership of your labor. Morality laws like prohibitions deny that the individual is capable of making decisions for him- or herself... and maybe some folks are, but they also have the right to the consequences of those decisions. And when the consequences of those decisions impose upon others, it is right for us to appeal to government for redress as a violation of our liberty.
Last edited by Guinness on Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

MWB wrote:...
See above. I can't type no more... :)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by canaan »

Mod edit - Don't do that again. Next time will be a warning.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by LeopardLetang »

i have people that come into my store sometimes and tell me about things. one guy in particular. things like, under the constitution we're not required to pay taxes. things like, common law is being disposed of and something like in the 30s something was signed that has all citizens agreeing to abide by laws outside the constitution. something about our names being in all CAPS on our birth certificate with our middle names, but we unwittingly agree into a new contract when we accept new entities of ourselves with names that just use our middle initial. because that's not really us. and we can, if we're lucky, appeal to the court offices and buy up or claim as our property all variations of our names. and in which case if one of those entities is summoned to court we can claim that we own that entity and are not compelled to allow it to be on trial. i believe this one guy in particular is not paying taxes and hasn't for 30 years. he's told me one hundred other amazing ideas but i still don't know what to take from it all. for example if you don't pay your taxes you will eventually be set on by the gun or drug commission or something like that. because the gov't isn't really allowed to force you to pay. apparently southern california is pretty jive to this concept. are comments like these touching on something. is it ridiculous? dangerous? real? he's offered me an ability to read various rare documents though i'm hesitant to get involved with the guy. it's interesting but i don't know what to think about it really. any thoughts on anything?
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

So which fascist mod changed the thread title?
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

DelPen wrote:So which fascist mod changed the thread title?
Read the OP. He changed it, himself.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Any of you folks Garth Brooks fans? I just listened to this song (The Dance) a bit ago and it struck a resonant chord with me. There's a sense about it that really expresses the foundation of which I'm driving at with my beliefs:

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared beneath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known you'd ever say goodbye
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance
Holding you I held everything
For a moment wasn't I the king
But if I'd only known how the king would fall
Hey who's to say you know I might have changed it all
Yes my life is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain but I'd of had to miss the dance

The poignant theme of this song is that he wants his pain. He owns it and wouldn't give it up for the beauty that proceeded it. We've created a society that is so intrinsically terrified of pain, failure, and loss that we're not willing to recognize that it comes with it's own benefits, growth, and beauty.

Maybe I've offended some in trying to express this and if that's the case, I apologize. That was never my intention. I think we're all cognizant of the fact that we're missing something... or doing something wrong... in our society... We seem to keep trying to fix something and I think this is what it is...
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Guinness wrote:Any of you folks Garth Brooks fans? I just listened to this song (The Dance) a bit ago and it struck a resonant chord with me. There's a sense about it that really expresses the foundation of which I'm driving at with my beliefs:

Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared beneath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known you'd ever say goodbye
Holding you I held everything
For a moment wasn't I the king
But if I'd only known how the king would fall
Hey who's to say you know I might have changed it all
Yes my life is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain but I'd of had to miss the dance

The poignant theme of this song is that he wants his pain. He owns it and wouldn't give it up for the beauty that proceeded it. We've created a society that is so intrinsically terrified of pain, failure, and loss that we're not willing to recognize that it comes with it's own benefits, growth, and beauty.

Maybe I've offended some in trying to express this and if that's the case, I apologize. That was never my intention. I think we're all cognizant of the fact that we're missing something... or doing something wrong... in our society... We seem to keep trying to fix something and I think this is what it is...
I completely agree with this, I really don't like Garth Brooks but whatever. This country has this problem, I don't really know about the rest of the world, but this country has this problem, we need to fail, this country needs to be taken down a step or two. How many great things came out of failure? I think at some point people in America thought it was there right to be happy or successful, and by successful, I only mean it in a very superficial way, by how much crap you can obtain. Maybe that is one of the reasons why we are such a drugged up nation, we are always looking for escapes. I think most of the country is missing some meaning in life, if that is politics or any other area of life. That is why I am generally pessimistic about this country, life is pain, it can be very miserable for most people, but we have hidden that becasue we are afraid of what it might bring, but out of suffering can come a new meaning towards life.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by cs6687 »

This country does not need to taken down a step or two. People need to realize their own shortcomings and mistakes. It's up to the people to make the country better, not vice versa.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

cs6687 wrote:This country does not need to taken down a step or two. People need to realize their own shortcomings and mistakes. It's up to the people to make the country better, not vice versa.
And? People think that America is invincible, we have this arrogant belief that we are always right, but we aren't. Larger empires then our own have fallen apart, British, Roman, etc. We won't last forever, I agree that it is up to the people, but I don't see the people doing anything to make the country better. In a distracted nation like this it would take something really major to change anything. I always hear about self esteem, and how people are suffering from low self- esteem, and that is bad, well, what about people with high self-esteem? Don't they have the real problem, unquestioning, absolute belief that they are always right, I think this is a nation that thinks pretty high of itself.
Education in the critical faculty is the only education of which it can be truly said that it makes good citizens.
William Graham Sumner
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Kicksave »

canaan wrote:Mod edit - Don't do that again. Next time will be a warning.

OH SNAP, SON. YOU JUST GOT MOD'ED.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

Kicksave wrote:

What did I miss?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

"When the people find they can vote themselves money,
that will herald the end of the republic."
Benjamin Franklin
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

Just because he reads it, does not mean he does or does not believes in it. This I understand. But it does stick a bit of a chord...
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by doublem »

PensFanInDC wrote:Image

Just because he reads it, does not mean he does or does not believes in it. This I understand. But it does stick a bit of a chord...
Is that the Post-American World? Why does that stick a bit of a chord?
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

[quote="Guinness]No, I don't. I want people to be free, and I don't want them to enslave me or to be slaves themselves.

Edit to add: Maybe you are right - maybe I should submit to the "ideas" of others... even when those ideas enslave me. Maybe I should submit to the concepts of governance of others, even when those concepts subjugate me. You see, what I propose does not enslave or subjugate anybody. Can you say the same? Can you advocate the things you advocate without stealing from other people? Can you advocate the things you advocate without forcing behaviors -- even seemingly noble behaviors -- upon other people?[/quote]

Good post particularly the last statement... I think that was captured by "don't tread on me" but that is long lost....
Last edited by Ron` on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

cs6687 wrote:This country does not need to taken down a step or two. People need to realize their own shortcomings and mistakes. It's up to the people to make the country better, not vice versa.
Until we come to grip with the reality that is, we never will. We cannot solve everything, we cannot throw money at everything, at some point we just have to suck up the pain... I think that's the point of the Brooks song along with pain comes knowledge and real fixes...
Last edited by Ron` on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Doublem, so why aren't we learning from history to prevent our failures...? There was a really good link to something that was said about where we were headed as a country, written pre 1960. I ask you to read it again, it probably predates your birth.... let alone today....

http://mises.org/story/3636" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Government is not the fix, people are the fix....
Last edited by Ron` on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Here's the reality of where we are, more brown number media stuff....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32641756/ns ... nd_economy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But if you read between the lines the real facts are there, obscured by the headlines which catches the average american's eyes....

“Manufacturing hasn’t added a net new job in 30 years,” Meckstroth said.

Manufacturing has steadily shrunk as a sector of the U.S. economy, and the ISM has been trending lower since a peak reading this decade of 61.4 in May 2004."

"Consumers did buy more cars last month, due mainly to the popular Cash for Clunkers program, which boosted Ford Motor Co.’s U.S. sales 17.2 percent over last year. Shortages of smaller vehicles weighed on rival Chrysler."

"Even with the rise in home building, residential construction was 27.8 percent below the year-ago level."

The economy isn't rising, the addict just got a fix via the stimulous. No real jobs are being created and the real unemployment numbers are obscured.... Capacity far exceeds inventory, because inventory can't be marketed, this is what drove the "cash for clunkers" idea to be followed by an appliance package? Short sighted visions along with special interest's are driving this period...

A complete example is our energy policy which promotes wind turbines and ethynol production, both of which support special interests... Ie General Electric and the corn belt farmers.... Neither of which is scientifically sound or economically sound... Nor will it address the energy needs of this country going forward. But it provides a fix to the addict that is.... LOBBYIST AND SPECIAL INTERESTS
Last edited by Ron` on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Kicksave wrote:

At least it didn't require a hospital visit.... :)
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by pittsoccer33 »

seems like good reading for him. Chris Matthews called him the last kennedy brother. The one who just died actively worked with the Soviets in the 1980s to undermine the president. This one is just working to bring the nation down himself.

But hey I could be wrong. I guess if he wanted to carry on the legacy of his brother he'd live in a roofless hut.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

Ron` wrote:Until we come to grip with the reality that is, we never will. We cannot solve everything, we cannot throw money at everything, at some point we just have to suck up the pain... I think that's the point of the Brooks song along with pain comes knowledge and real fixes...
Music is subjective in my opinion, so I'm not going to contest what that song means to you, but my interpretation is that we never know what we lose if we're constantly trying to shield ourselves from pain (or failure, or difficulty, or struggle, etc...): "I could have missed the pain, but I'd 've had to miss the dance". I'm not trying to put Garth Brooks forward as some latter-day Beethoven here (I personally really enjoy him, but again, I think music is subjective :) ). It just happened to come on the radio the other day and the lyrics struck me.

We tend to focus too closely on the pain associated with loss, failure, etc., to our detriment. Speaking personally, some of the best learning experiences and events from which I've found the most personal growth have been the result of failures and losses. I suppose it's a natural inclination to attempt to protect ourselves from pain, but just as a young child we learn that fire is hot by getting a little too close to it, so continues that template throughout life... a little moreso, perhaps - the single most searingly painful experience of my life has been my divorce, and yet because of it now, I'm entering soon into a new marriage a better partner; more aware of what it takes to love my mate as she wishes, and more in touch with what I want out of the relationship. If I'd been shielded from that initial pain, as much as I tried to anesthetize myself through it indeed, I wouldn't be the at-least-relatively-better person and partner I am now (which isn't to say I haven't a ways to go :) ). And I believe ti's true of all of us if we'd open ourselves to it, and to society as a whole.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Ron` »

Guinness, I am not a huge Garth Brooks fan either but there is truth that the lessons best learned are through lifes failures... We are saying the same thing imo.
shafnutz05
NHL First Liner
NHL First Liner

Post by shafnutz05 »

My God..............Obama's PR team must be insane, or just plain stupid. Prepare for yet ANOTHER primetime Obama show next Wednesday evening. I have got to think the networks are furious at this...especially with fall programming coming up. No matter what you think of him, there is no denying that he loves to see himself on television.

I think this is going to blow up in his face. If he gets up in front of Congress and tells them to buckle down and push this healthcare bill through, you can say goodbye to the Democrats' chances in 2010 (although I think they are already in deep ****). Americans are tired of seeing his face in every corner of their lives. All of that favorable media saturation he received before and after the election has come around to bite him. Personally, I will be watching a movie that night...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by PensFanInDC »

shafnutz05 wrote:My God..............Obama's PR team must be insane, or just plain stupid. Prepare for yet ANOTHER primetime Obama show next Wednesday evening. I have got to think the networks are furious at this...especially with fall programming coming up. No matter what you think of him, there is no denying that he loves to see himself on television.

I think this is going to blow up in his face. If he gets up in front of Congress and tells them to buckle down and push this healthcare bill through, you can say goodbye to the Democrats' chances in 2010 (although I think they are already in deep ****). Americans are tired of seeing his face in every corner of their lives. All of that favorable media saturation he received before and after the election has come around to bite him. Personally, I will be watching a movie that night...
Church that night! Praise the Lord!

That being said I will DVR it and watch it later. He's still our president and he's still addressing our executive branch and the population.